Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My Bergman boxset is out for delivery!!!!!

.........a day early and I’m away until the evening and all my housemates are out I think. dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Flash sale is live. I ordered Thief, The Tree of Life, and Ingmar Bergman's Cinema

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The Jacques Demy set and Notorious here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I still have so much left unwatched from previous sales, but I had a $10 gift code, so I ordered Watership Down.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Anyone on the fence about Ingmar Bergman’s Cinema and has $150 to burn should just go ahead. Easily the most fun I’ve had going through a filmmaker’s work.

Also going to make my usual underrated gems recommendations:

Pierre Etaix - if you love Tati, Etaix is just as brilliant
Lonesome
King of Jazz
By Brakhage
Bigger Than Life
Kennedy Films of Drew and Associates

Only have To Sleep with Anger and Notorious in my cart so far. On the fence for the Qatsi Trilogy and Demy.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’ve bought Barry Lyndon for so many people. Maybe it’s time I got a copy for myself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve bought Barry Lyndon for so many people. Maybe it’s time I got a copy for myself.

You can’t go wrong with any Kubrick or Welles.

For that matter, Barry Lyndon, The Killing, Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, Othello, The Magnificent Ambersons, Chimes at Midnight, The Immortal Story, and F for Fake are all among my all time favorite Blu-rays.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Bought the big Bergman box. Really thinking about getting Stagecoach but I'm waiting for the Criterion Channel to launch to watch that.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ended up getting:

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
Beyond the Hills
Blow Up
The Graduate
Graduation
In the Heat of the Night
Roberto Rossellini's War Trilogy

Also sad to see Criterion finally implemented CA sales tax. One of the reasons I would go nuts for Flash Sales was because they didn't charge CA sales tax (yet) but I guess all good things must come to an end.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The tax isn’t a big deal. It’s still as good as B&N.

Cloks posted:

Bought the big Bergman box. Really thinking about getting Stagecoach but I'm waiting for the Criterion Channel to launch to watch that.

Stagecoach is worth it just for the extras. The Omnibus interview with John Ford is amazing and the piece on westerns is too.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 5, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I mooch off my girlfriend's mom's B&N account so they're a better deal, but Criterion likes to randomly send me $10 gift codes so it evens out.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Egbert Souse posted:

Sales tax is 10% here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Egbert Souse posted:

Better, because B&N doesn’t give you $50 gift certificates after you’ve spent $500.

Also B&N doesn’t have a House t-shirt in their stores.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Stagecoach is worth it just for the extras. The Omnibus interview with John Ford is amazing and the piece on westerns is too.

I'm really tempted but I'm out of shelf space. Worst case, my library has it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Apparently I added the Before Trilogy right before they marked it as backordered, nice of them to honor the price despite the terms of the sale. Actually works in my favor too since it breaks up the cost between another paycheck.

Ended up going with;

The Stillman Collection
Kicking and Screaming
The Before Trilogy
and Fantastic Planet

Should be a fun nostalgia fest.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got home today and my neighbours had my copy of Bergman’s Cinema!!!!! Aaahhhhhh!!!!! It’s loving huge!!!!!

Also it just reminded me why do Criterion have their sleeves etc backwards always? Like if it was a book it would be right-to-left instead of left-to-right. It doesn’t really bother me but I do find it bizarre

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Would it be a mistake to buy Seven Samurai, considering it's an HD scan from over a decade ago? I know Toho did a 4K restoration in 2016, so I would assume that would end up replacing the current blu-ray, but I haven't seen anything about it getting a release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There is a rumor that Criterion might be doing a complete Kurosawa box set ala Bergman, so... maybe.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Well I went and bought the Bergman box

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Well I went and bought the Bergman box

Me too

Checking this thread out of the blue was bad for my wallet

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

The Freshman, Raymond Bernard set, Personal Shopper, Black Narcissus, Cameraperson, Science is Fiction

and I’m broke.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Would it be a mistake to buy Seven Samurai, considering it's an HD scan from over a decade ago? I know Toho did a 4K restoration in 2016, so I would assume that would end up replacing the current blu-ray, but I haven't seen anything about it getting a release.

I'd bet money on a complete Kurosawa set a la Bergman for this November. They released the AK 100 DVD set (with 25 of his 30 feature films) in December 2009 - the eve of his 100th birthday.

The B&N people I've spoken to always say Kurosawa sells out the fastest during the sales.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
poo poo, I was gonna do a bunch of Kurosawa as a local theater did a Kurosawa/Mifune series that was great. Had to miss Hidden Fortress due to weather so that was on the list. But I also really want a BD of Stray Dog. I guess I can hold off if there’s gonna be a payoff like that. At some point I’ll grab House. If anyone wants a fever dream on celluloid, House is a great one.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I really liked House, I need to watch it again. I ended up with Asphalt Jungle and The Killers, I'm interested to see 3 takes on the same story. I was thinking of getting High and Low but it was sold out by the time I got home from work.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ended up going with...

My Man Godfrey
The Awful Truth
My Darling Clementine
Notorious
Babette's Feast
The Fisher King
To Sleep with Anger
The Long Day Closes

Might use the $50 gift certificate to get the David Lead/Noel Coward set, but I'm going to save it for the fall flash sale.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Franchescanado posted:

To Sleep With Anger was really good. I loved it, actually. A superstitious and spiritual family drama with a devilish Danny Glover hamming it up? Hell yes.
Having just watched this, my first thought was that it'd make for a peculiar, but very interesting double bill with Funny Games

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are there plans to ever release a br of Ordet? I'm having trouble picking something to buy. Everything I want comes out later this year, and I don't want to use my gift code on just an upgrade, so I'm wanting to take a chance on a blind buy, but every one I settle on is oop like Ordet or Leon Morin.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Are there plans to ever release a br of Ordet? I'm having trouble picking something to buy. Everything I want comes out later this year, and I don't want to use my gift code on just an upgrade, so I'm wanting to take a chance on a blind buy, but every one I settle on is oop like Ordet or Leon Morin.

There's a Region B BFI set with Day of Wrath, Ordet, and Gertrud (plus Master of the House and some short films by Dreyer). Janus re-released Day of Wrath a few years ago, but nothing else since then. The BFI set seems to have all the same extras plus others. It even has an option to watch Master of the House with Danish intertitles while Criterion's edition is English-only.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Man, I’m super bummed that they don’t ship internationally... £110 for the Bergman box would have been an insane steal.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I bought Fishing With John and I will not be ashamed.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Someone tell me not to buy the Bergman box

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Buy the Bergman box.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Buy the Bergman box.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"
Ive been enjoying my Bergman box way more than I thought I would. Went from a casual fan to considering him one of my favorite filmmakers. Just finished Shame/Passion of Anna a few days ago and still feel them working on my brain.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel's Movie of the Week

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1103354962375979010

Is Barbara Loden's Wanda (1970)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

There's a Region B BFI set with Day of Wrath, Ordet, and Gertrud (plus Master of the House and some short films by Dreyer). Janus re-released Day of Wrath a few years ago, but nothing else since then. The BFI set seems to have all the same extras plus others. It even has an option to watch Master of the House with Danish intertitles while Criterion's edition is English-only.

The BFI set is an absolute must-buy if you own a region B player. Three of the greatest films of all time and an underappreciated silent, all looking as crisp as they ever did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ornate carpets in film came up in another thread and it made me want to immediately go home and thrown on my copy of Fanny & Alexander. That has to be peak Bergman in terms of set design.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Ordered the Bergman box since I figured there could be few chances to do it. My first ever purchase from the Criterion website.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
drat, I missed the flash sale. Hopefully I'll be able to get the Bergman set during the next B&N sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving love this Bergman boxset so much