Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mahoning posted:

The only item that is advertised to save time and money when cooking that actually lives up to the billing is a pressure cooker. Because you can buy poo poo in bulk and freeze it.

Slow cookers too. Yeah, it takes hours, but you can do whatever while it goes and then you have at least a week’s worth of food for two people. When I worked in EMS I used to do meals for the crews on the days I worked (unless it was grillin’ weather) in those and it always came out fantastic.

I’ve done some free trials of the meal boxes and they were alright but nothing I couldn’t do better on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

We got home chef way before these commercials started being broadcast. The instruction cards are never accurate. They take twice as long even when two people do the cooking.

I can't even answer why any anyone would get this (no offense). I had a VERY rich couple telling me (I am broke as poo poo) "oh lol you should try it, it's so much fun!!!" And I was just like "oh that sounds good" in a passive way. I can't imagine who could afford this. Someone could look up a recipe online, go to the store, get the ingredients, and finish way cheaper. And someone in a good desert can't afford this.

Basically a scam like 99.9% of commercials.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Account McAccount posted:

I can't even answer why any anyone would get this (no offense). I had a VERY rich couple telling me (I am broke as poo poo) "oh lol you should try it, it's so much fun!!!" And I was just like "oh that sounds good" in a passive way. I can't imagine who could afford this. Someone could look up a recipe online, go to the store, get the ingredients, and finish way cheaper. And someone in a good desert can't afford this.

Basically a scam like 99.9% of commercials.

I mean, it's supposed to be marketed to super busy professionals and it's only saving money because time=money or whatever. Making the dish itself isn't any easier, it's just cutting out the step of going to the grocery and eliminating the waste (in theory) because instead of having to buy like two pounds of chicken breast or a bunch of asparagus and having a bunch left over, it gives you the exact amount you need for like one or two people. I'm not saying it's good or it's worth it, just pointing out that their target market is basically professional millennial couples with no kids and no spare time.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

Mahoning posted:

I mean, it's supposed to be marketed to super busy professionals and it's only saving money because time=money or whatever. Making the dish itself isn't any easier, it's just cutting out the step of going to the grocery and eliminating the waste (in theory) because instead of having to buy like two pounds of chicken breast or a bunch of asparagus and having a bunch left over, it gives you the exact amount you need for like one or two people. I'm not saying it's good or it's worth it, just pointing out that their target market is basically professional millennial couples with no kids and no spare time.

I might live in a weird area where it's normal but all the grocery stores and even target deliver to your home, plus there's peapod.

The ad is just sketchy; like, how are you going to make this delicious and perfect-looking meal that only a professional chef can make look so pretty?

I make super tasty food (people have said this, I cook a lot) but it doesn't look like the fancy poo poo they show on there.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

We do Hello Fresh. We waste less food for about every reason you can describe and it is cheaper than eating out.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I know I'm like a week late, but I just wanted to say that this made my night, thanks.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

We got home chef way before these commercials started being broadcast. The instruction cards are never accurate. They take twice as long even when two people do the cooking.

I suspect it's because they're written in high end kitchens by people with at least basic professional training. Most recipes are I think.

I like to cook, and I get a little zen out of chopping vegetables, but I grew up in a family where complex cooking was Shake 'n Bake, so I had to learn everything on my own, so it easily takes me twice as long to do anything in the kitchen.

Sash! posted:

We do Hello Fresh. We waste less food for about every reason you can describe and it is cheaper than eating out.

I did Hello Fresh for a short time a few years back. The sheer amount of packaging that was used to deliver me food was unconscionable. It was ok, but when I get home at 5:00, the last thing I want to do is chop vegetables, and whatnot. I tend to work better cooking Saturday and making two or three meals on Sunday (Something slowish, like a roast for Sunday, the crock pot for Monday, and maybe a casserole for Tuesday).

I did find the tiny jars Hello Fresh used for ketchup and other condiments cute.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sash! posted:

I get why people think of it this way, and if it's a bridge to get someone off of ordering a bunch of takeout that's great. When you compare it to making food from scratch it falls apart though, you can make a lot more food for the same money. We had blue apron for a short time and it was disappointing that we never had leftovers.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Account McAccount posted:

I might live in a weird area where it's normal but all the grocery stores and even target deliver to your home, plus there's peapod.

The ad is just sketchy; like, how are you going to make this delicious and perfect-looking meal that only a professional chef can make look so pretty?

I make super tasty food (people have said this, I cook a lot) but it doesn't look like the fancy poo poo they show on there.

Yeah it's meant to be convenient by giving you everything, but the choices are random and often are bland. We started before home grocery delivery really took off, and ended up having it dropped on our driveway in the middle of a heatwave.

Back to commercials, I'm disappointed Childish Gambino didn't shoot his uncanny valley Google Avatar (or vice versa).

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

We just stopped doing Hello Fresh after about a year and a half of off and on use.

It's really nice to get home from work and not have to run the gambit of the metropolitan grocery store at 5pm. The only problem we had was (as vegetarians) we got a lot of the same 5 meals over and over again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I did Hello Fresh for a bit and it was good for learning a few very elemental things (sautéing vegetables, how long to grill a steak, etc.) But they had their issues- they tended to use a lot of parsley which is a) a lot of work to chop and b) doesn’t taste like much of anything. I’ve kept a few of the recipes, though.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Yeaahhhhh its really not the actual grocery shopping itself that's off-putting to me, its the food preparation, cooking, and cleaning effort that makes after work dinner a chore - and which these delivery services do not solve.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Cyril Sneer posted:

Yeaahhhhh its really not the actual grocery shopping itself that's off-putting to me, its the food preparation, cooking, and cleaning effort that makes after work dinner a chore - and which these delivery services do not solve.

Easy, hire a chef! Better yet subscribe to my new rent-a-chef service start-up!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I've been noticing recently in commercials is fake Amazon Echos delivering punchlines.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Speaking of, I hate the Alexa radio ads that start with songs, but only the vocal tracks. There’s one with Imagine Dragons that makes me want to curl into a ball and die. That singers voice sucks.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hate the chance the rapper doritos commercial.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Speaking of, I hate the Alexa radio ads that start with songs, but only the vocal tracks. There’s one with Imagine Dragons that makes me want to curl into a ball and die. That singers voice sucks.

I hate that one too. On the station I listen to, that one can come up 2-3 times during a single break, especially at night. What's really annoying is when the commercial break is something like:

5 x=0
10 Alexa, play Imagine Dragons
20 Progressive Lounge Singer Box
25 x=x+1
30 if x < 3 then goto 10
40 back to the rock

What makes it worse is that this particular station doesn't even play Imagine Dragons.

rockinricky fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 22, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Dear Samsung - ever since I first heard the song "Que Sera Sera," I felt as though it was missing something. No song deserves a horrible remix like a sleepy old Doris Day standard. Thank you for putting a lovely beat beneath it for your dumb commercial and making my terrible dream a reality.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Majorian posted:

Dear Samsung - ever since I first heard the song "Que Sera Sera," I felt as though it was missing something. No song deserves a horrible remix like a sleepy old Doris Day standard. Thank you for putting a lovely beat beneath it for your dumb commercial and making my terrible dream a reality.

I also really appreciated YouTube making it basically the only ad I got on every video for about a week.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Seeing trailers for the BET show "Boomerang", which is a spin off the Eddie Murphy film. The trailer starts off with "In 1992, the movie 'Boomerang' changed everything."

Did it? Did it really? I can't think of a time when that film ever came up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Majorian posted:

Also, the squarespace Idris Elba version needs to go away forever. That and the Venetian both have songs sung by kids that loving suck. And the Venetian using veruca salt's song from willy wonka seems to be missing the point of that bit entirely.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

This is the app so the ads are pre-programmed in. I'm watching this show Many Sides of Jane and it's one of the tensest sentences in this episode and CUT! BAM! SOME LOUD AD ABOUT SOME CRAP.

E: so this is the second time it's happened. This is even a worse/more significant moment.

:thumbsup:

Account McAccount fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 3, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Can the Peleton ads please find a different song to use? I'm insanely sick of hearing Jay-Z say "double your money and make a stack" on every hulu ad break, and on my car radio, and anytime I'm near a TV.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Mountain Dew commercial with the rappers riding Big Wheels, and the song includes the words "Brrpt. Brrpt."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Also, the squarespace Idris Elba version needs to go away forever.

Oh YEAH, that poo poo creeps me the gently caress out, good lord.

Can the Peleton ads please find a different song to use? I'm insanely sick of hearing Jay-Z say "double your money and make a stack" on every hulu ad break, and on my car radio, and anytime I'm near a TV.

I miss the version from last year, I think it was, with Sia warbling "DON'T GIVE UP, NO NO NO!!!"

Peleton makes otherwise-not-terrible commercials with really dumb song choices.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

On Thursdays (for Chicago PD) and Saturdays (for SVU) I'll have my TV on ION, because they run those shows all day.

I swear to God, this loving commercial runs once ever half-hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVg-Esl0yas

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
TV commercials dreamed up by the dweebs of local contracting companies (Painters, Plumbers, HVAC, etc) are a special kind of hell

https://twitter.com/manicsocratic/status/1102638986755883008

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Gaunab posted:

I hate the chance the rapper doritos commercial.

Yeah, this and those Peleton ads are just awful.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The Peloton ads just reek of... well, something, I'm not sure what to call it. But man, all of these Peloton owners sure do live in really fancy homes. One of them is in some loving NY penthouse doing their online spin class.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was with the lady at the Scottsdale mall this past weekend for dinner and they had an actual Peloton store there.

She asked if we could go in and see if they could help us double our money and make a stack.

I'm so glad that other people hate that commercial as much as we do.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ProjektorBoy posted:

TV commercials dreamed up by the dweebs of local contracting companies (Painters, Plumbers, HVAC, etc) are a special kind of hell

Now I wish the commercial was just her screaming for the entire spot.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ProjektorBoy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bnanI9jXps

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

DizzyBum posted:

The Peloton ads just reek of... well, something, I'm not sure what to call it. But man, all of these Peloton owners sure do live in really fancy homes. One of them is in some loving NY penthouse doing their online spin class.

Read this through.

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089702015767179265

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Real chat I bought my wife a cheap tablet for the peloton classes subscription and spin bike from amazon and I have a Peloton experience for a fraction of the Peloton price.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:yeshaha: This is amazing, thank you.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

vyst posted:

Real chat I bought my wife a cheap tablet for the peloton classes subscription and spin bike from amazon and I have a Peloton experience for a fraction of the Peloton price.

But did you double your money and make a stack?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gaunab posted:

But did you double your money and make a stack?

I had a million ways to get it, and i chose one

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

ProjektorBoy posted:

where the gently caress is that house lady why do you need it painted there isnt anybody else in this blast zone for miles

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Maxwell Lord posted:

they tended to use a lot of parsley which is a) a lot of work to chop

try scissors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

where the gently caress is that house lady why do you need it painted there isnt anybody else in this blast zone for miles

you just summed up most suburbs of Phoenix, AZ tbh