Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Oh good, maybe that'll be a good time to finally jump back into this game. It's been like a year so I'll probably just have to completely relearn it anyway. I feel like this thread has been making the game sound more and more unapproachable and complex as time goes on and if I don't get back in soon I'll never feel comfortable trying to get back in.
Eh, dont read into it too much. The economy has changed and is more complex but WAY more interesting to interact with now (in my opinion; opinions on this may vary). The economy shouldnt be changing drastically again any time soon though and the rest of the game is still pretty much the same. Give it a shot and ask questions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Loel posted:

<trip report> :words:

Sounds like you're doing it right. Carry on and keep us informed! :golfclap:

Sloober posted:

is there a mod that stops spawning your precursor system in someone elses territory? my last game it spawned on discovery 4 system jumps outside my territory in somebody elses

Sort of. This mod sticks the reward system behind a wormhole in your space...but you still need Wormhole tech to actually get to it. :shrug:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1667025251&searchtext=

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Oh good, maybe that'll be a good time to finally jump back into this game. It's been like a year so I'll probably just have to completely relearn it anyway. I feel like this thread has been making the game sound more and more unapproachable and complex as time goes on and if I don't get back in soon I'll never feel comfortable trying to get back in.
The tutorial is honestly decent. Grab one of the non-hivemind stock races, stick the game on easy, do what Vir says, and listen to his tips when you open a new screen. You won't do spectacular but you'll get the hang of the interface and you can turn on iron-man to pick up some easy achievements if you want. Swing by here with any questions.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Their current roadmap is solid right now. It doesn't come off as complex to me except if you are trying to min-max everything to the highest degree of efficiency. I think it suffers from the same thing as Crusader Kings II does for new players in that they get overwhelmed by the amount of details available when considering making decisions versus how little direct control you have over situations as they develop, and also user interface considerations with giving the player feedback on what needs to be planned out and what actions you have available at your disposal to do so. I'm kind of surprised at how flexible the game is with regards to what you want out of it and should be best played as what you want out of it. It can be a "choose your own adventure" type of thing, an RTS type of game, a Simcity type game, an RPG, etc... It has the same positive qualities that Distant Stars had, and that game had a bit of a similar learning curve as well.
I found it is best to start out playing intuitively at cadet or ensign level and roleplay out what your races' strengths and preferred civics are and develop policies, traditions, ascention perks and choices based on those. Just like in Crusader Kings II when it was easiest to roleplay out your character based on their traits, virtues and flaws.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Get good at one thing first. I literally started playing again this week, and I wanted to learn how to conquer an enemy civ. So that taught me claims and casus belli, and ship building, and fleet movement. And then I had all this territory, so I needed districts and buildings. And now I have factions and unrest, so now I need to learn domestic politics.

One thing first :D

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My CKII stories involved two starts where my starting king without an heir was dead within 5 minutes to someone assassinating him and then I stopped playing.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

HelloSailorSign posted:

My CKII stories involved two starts where my starting king without an heir was dead within 5 minutes to someone assassinating him and then I stopped playing.

That's pretty impressive! You set a new record after Louis-Antoine of France for shortest reign.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Saros posted:

Defense in depth is only like 10% fire rate though while No Retreat is 30%. Imo No Retreat is far better even with the disengage malus.

By the way Mapgoons has an ongoing Stellaris MP mega-game here. There's always a need for a sub or two if people are ever interested or even want to just follow the progress of it.

No Retreat is a good way of getting your fleet completely destroyed if a fleet gets ambushed or you miss that it's got into combat with a bigger force though.

In my current Ironman game I've got three fleets of 14k placed really far apart. And I opened the L-Gates. For some reason it only allows you to do it on a particular one, the first one you find. And your immunity to stuff coming through it only applies to that. So now I have a grey tempest fleet in my loving territory that's miles away from my fleets who all need to be together to fight it.
Meaning my game is probably over, and that's really annoying!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
That's what you get for meddling with artifacts beyond your understanding!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's what you get for meddling with artifacts beyond your understanding!

What's worse is that apart from the FEs my fleet is head and shoulders the largest in the galaxy so everyone else is definitely totally hosed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
2.2.6 pdx plz

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Sounds like a good opportunity to sweep in an pick up the pieces after a campaign to liberate the L-Cluster.

By the way I think two subs are needed for saturdays MapGoons game including the largest empire by population.

https://discord.gg/ZvWaBeN

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Saros posted:

Sounds like a good opportunity to sweep in an pick up the pieces after a campaign to liberate the L-Cluster.

By the way I think two subs are needed for saturdays MapGoons game including the largest empire by population.

https://discord.gg/ZvWaBeN

It'll be too hard. It was hard enough when I did it in a game with much larger fleets!
And now I'm an exterminator so it runs the risk of a random person declaring on me.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Gyshall posted:

2.2.6 pdx plz

we out here

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gyshall posted:

we out here

I'm getting 2.2.5 on the regular branch. I thought they were going straight to 2.2.6 and it would skip beta?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Nah, 2.2.6 is on test branch.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
In 2.2.6 the position of the planet screen when you open it is hosed, at least with my resolution(1280x1024). Every other menu opens fine and it worked fine earlier today, so something changed with the patch.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I haven't played much since megacorp. Is a small galaxy still pretty much required for performance?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

In 2.2.6 the position of the planet screen when you open it is hosed, at least with my resolution(1280x1024). Every other menu opens fine and it worked fine earlier today, so something changed with the patch.

On the planet screen for uninhabitable planets it now shows the various tabs and an empty population bar. It's a bit odd as that information was never there before. As for your problem I think it's something to do with the standard window size and it's anchored in the same place across resolutions.

Edit: Yeah if you compare our screenshots you can see the planet window is anchored in exactly the same spot above the system bar at the bottom.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 7, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Apparently the 2.2.6 beta doesn’t play well with the 1080UI mod, if any intrepid beta testers are wondering why they’re crashing.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
What does the job screen look like now in 2.2.6?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cynic Jester posted:

Fixed it, sort of. You can edit planet_view.gui to change the starting position and orientation.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
So that was fun. I got the anomaly about an abandoned colony fleet that gives you a free robot governor. Pretty much the next day, he wins the election, and becomes my leader! He's been reelected twice since then - it seems my communist space bugs just can't get enough of him! All hail Comrade Robot!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Angry Salami posted:

So that was fun. I got the anomaly about an abandoned colony fleet that gives you a free robot governor. Pretty much the next day, he wins the election, and becomes my leader! He's been reelected twice since then - it seems my communist space bugs just can't get enough of him! All hail Comrade Robot!

I'm not saying it's mind control rays... but I'm not saying it's not mind control rays :tinfoil:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
If you're a communist space bug the absolute best leader is an immortal one programmed to have your best interests at heart and incapable of benefitting from luxury.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I guess I didn't need to worry about my save breaking, but an unlucky spawn with the Unbidden may have doomed this game anyway. I'm the strongest empire by far except for the awakened empire off on the east side of the galaxy. The unbidden spawned close to the edge of the galaxy close to my borders where they almost immediately began pushing into the little glob of territory I had poking out there. Okay, so I'll just fortify the chokepoint into my core systems with a citadel complete with ion cannons and whatnot, I can park my combined 120k or so (including My Best Friend Gray) there and beat back 60-90k fleets after I retool to take on their shields. No problem.

I forgot about the L-Cluster. :doh: I was the first to get into it and exploit it, but the L-Gate I used is centrally located in my empire now, and only a couple jumps away from my core systems to the south. Another L-gate is right next to where the Unbidden initially spawned. So there's like 400k worth of unbidden fuckos running unchecked down there now, and it's impossible for me to fortify anything down there even if I had more time. There are no good chokepoints. I'm gonna play it out, but I have four systems lined up neatly that they can run through with basically no resistance. First they'll hit the Matter Decompressor, next system over is a ringworld I'm most of the way done building with two colonized segments. After that is a size 24 planet most of the way done with the arcology project, and then my homeworld. Gonna be kind of fun to play through the desperate last stand, the rest of my federation sure as poo poo isn't going to be any help.

Altogether I learned a lot and I'll be a lot better equipped on my next game. I got to mess around with a lot of the systems I haven't used before, like managing claims. This is the first time I've played a game all the way through since the war rework. I blew up a couple hivemind planets too, that was neat. Altogether I liked how the game has changed since last time I played. I didn't like claims at first, but it's become a much better way of doing things than the old warscore system.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

THE loving MOON posted:

There are no good chokepoints. I'm gonna play it out, but I have four systems lined up neatly that they can run through with basically no resistance. First they'll hit the Matter Decompressor, next system over is a ringworld I'm most of the way done building with two colonized segments. After that is a size 24 planet most of the way done with the arcology project, and then my homeworld.
Fortify the gently caress outta those planets with shields and as many Precint Houses or whatever they are.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Idea for balancing out issues with duel pop channel growth being so strong. Give some options for non-robots to have a building that leverages the assembly slot (and renames it), for example if you change cloning facility from genetic ascension to leverage the other slot instead of being a growth bonus. Psionics could have some sort of pyschic pop pulled from the collective mind (crazy tulpa poo poo), maybe they have restricted jobs (like can only do amenity/science/unity jobs). MEs maybe could get a tech that lets them grow bio-batteries, basically a livestock pop that makes energy.

edit: beta (2.2.6) is having unrest events trigger for colonies again. So far both times have been the +100% <x> ethos attraction. Had authoritarian and pacifist so far (I'm f.auth+militant)

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 7, 2019

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Looks like the warrior culture tooltip changed, but the implementation is not working at all. Build an entertainment building, still get entertainers. Plus the game periodically deletes the most recent holo-theater that I built. I can't help but suspect a sweep of the "wrong" building occurred but the "right" building (that presumably makes duelist jobs) was missing in code.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Corbeau posted:

Looks like the warrior culture tooltip changed, but the implementation is not working at all. Build an entertainment building, still get entertainers. Plus the game periodically deletes the most recent holo-theater that I built. I can't help but suspect a sweep of the "wrong" building occurred but the "right" building (that presumably makes duelist jobs) was missing in code.

Working fine for me, what are your empire settings? (mods?) Could be another civic not playing nice as well.

I'm on a f.auth, militarist, syncreatic for my other civic, imperial govt type, main race has charismatic, traditional, weak.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Other 2.2.6 stuff is known already, but I will check out warrior culture tomorrow.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone know the changes from 2.2.5 initial beta to 2.2.5 release? No details in the patch notes.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
For what it's worth, the game also seems to load far far faster now.

Which is noticeable when re-starting the game constantly to check what's causing it to explode. :v:

e: Yup, found it; Glavius' AI mod apparently does building fuckery rather than just AI scripting. Didn't expect that, my bad. Not Paradox's problem in this case.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 7, 2019

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Not sure if it was mentioned, but in 2.2.6 the Eternal Vigilance perk now has a +25% starbase hull modifier as well. It was already a nice perk, so now it's just a little bit better.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Fortify the gently caress outta those planets with shields and as many Precint Houses or whatever they are.

Ill give this a shot when I get home, see if I cant stall them on some planet long enough to really gun up. When I lose the compressor I'll be on borrowed time, my economy will collapse and Ill pretty much just have whatever I have stored then to work with.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Other 2.2.6 stuff is known already, but I will check out warrior culture tomorrow.

I didn't see it mentioned in the patch notes (but I could have missed it), but what exactly does tagging a job as a favorite do? I'm guessing it is a blanket increase to weight, but unsure.

Also you can favorite one job per worker strata!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Favoriting sure seems to say "fill these positions first" which is a godsend.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My first colony seems to be quite upset about being a colony. It's a normal non-robot empire.

Is it just me or is anyone else having this?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I believe they already called that out as a known bug on the support forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anno posted:

I believe they already called that out as a known bug on the support forums.
Cool, thanks. Who reads the paradox forums? :v:

The new planet interface looks very good, much clearer.