Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

FISHMANPET posted:

We've apparently had a security standard since 2010 that we have to log out of our workstations overnight (never gonna happen), and the security policy doesn't say anything about locking workstations. We're revising them this year so I finally noticed when I dug in to make comments. One of the security people came by my cube and was like "wtf are they thinking" so at least there's a few security people in the world who actually use computers and want them to be used.

I am bad at reading. Are you trying to say that workstations locking is good or bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

A computer locking after 15 minutes is like the most basic of workstation security you could implement that is completely harmless

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Is there a way to provision win 10 licenses on an as needed basis, besides just buying them a few at a time? Sorta like how you can do office 365 where, you have an admin center and can just straight up assign and revoke licenses to users and microsoft just charges you when you buy a license?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Workstation locking is good but our security policy doesn't say anything about it, instead since 2010 its required you log off every night which nobody is going to do. So instead of implementing a security policy based in reality and human behavior they just slid the dial to 11 on "security" and human factors be damned.

I mean, workstations autolock because we're not idiots, but if we were idiots and turned to the security policy we wouldn't implement that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Defenestrategy posted:

Is there a way to provision win 10 licenses on an as needed basis, besides just buying them a few at a time? Sorta like how you can do office 365 where, you have an admin center and can just straight up assign and revoke licenses to users and microsoft just charges you when you buy a license?

Sort of. All Windows volume licenses are upgrades and require the base machine to have an OEM license for a Pro version of the OS (in education this can also be a Home version, or at least it used to be the case), and then a VL would give you the rights to image and run Enterprise.

Microsoft 365 E3 and E5 include a Windows Enterprise license with the same caveat as above. You can also just buy Windows 10 Enterprise E3 on a monthly basis from a CSP reseller. If you want a subscription Windows license to deploy on self-built PCs or ones that don't otherwise have an OEM Windows license then that option doesn't exist, and probably isn't likely to.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I found out that some team members are organizing an event for promoting the project I’ve been working on. They also invited a vendor and some kind of consultancy company to give some presentations about the project.

I’m annoyed (more than I’d like to admit) that they didn’t ask me to take part in (hosting) it as I’m pretty good with presenting stuff and I’ve been a major contributor on the project. Some of the guys who give a talk are too, but especially the vendor and consultancy firm have had absolutely no role in the project.

They casually mentioned the date of the event (without ever mentioning they were organizing it) and invited everyone to attend. At this point I don’t really feel like going as it feels like I’ve got nothing to do with it. Am I being a baby about this?

Edit: some extra context. The project is pretty innovative which is why the vendor is invited to co-host it. I’d have loved to put the event on my resume as a speaker. The main guy organizing it has talked about co-hosting it with me several times in the past. That’s mainly why I feel like they bypassed me entirely.

LochNessMonster fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 6, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

I found out that some team members are organizing an event for promoting the project I’ve been working on. They also invited a vendor and some kind of consultancy company to give some presentations about the project.

I’m annoyed (more than I’d like to admit) that they didn’t ask me to take part in (hosting) it as I’m pretty good with presenting stuff and I’ve been a major contributor on the project. Some of the guys who give a talk are too, but especially the vendor and consultancy firm have had absolutely no role in the project.

They casually mentioned the date of the event (without ever mentioning they were organizing it) and invited everyone to attend. At this point I don’t really feel like going as it feels like I’ve got nothing to do with it. Am I being a baby about this?

Edit: some extra context. The project is pretty innovative which is why the vendor is invited to co-host it. I’d have loved to put the event on my resume as a speaker. The main guy organizing it has talked about co-hosting it with me several times in the past. That’s mainly why I feel like they bypassed me entirely.

If it's something you want on your resume, you aren't being a baby. Tell them you want to present. What's the worst that could happen?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If it's something you want on your resume, you aren't being a baby. Tell them you want to present. What's the worst that could happen?

Schedule is already finalized and they have no more room for additional talks. That’s part of the reason I’m bummed since they went with a 3rd party as guestspeaker instead. :(

The vendor is sponsoring, I understand why they get a slot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Being that you weren't included in the talks about organizing is pretty telling. The people who did are trying to be ambitious. While there is nothing wrong with that on principal, keeping you in the dark about it is concerning. Have you asked them why you weren't included?

I would talk to your leadership about it. I would be concerned that my team members weren't talking to each other and collaborating.

The worst thing you can do is not attend though. If these folks are trying to catch the eyes of their leadership by showing initiative, you are just going to look worse by not showing up. I have often found people trying to do things among their team in secret are the same folks who are going to make moves make their team members look bad.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Sickening posted:

Being that you weren't included in the talks about organizing is pretty telling. The people who did are trying to be ambitious. While there is nothing wrong with that on principal, keeping you in the dark about it is concerning. Have you asked them why you weren't included?

I would talk to your leadership about it. I would be concerned that my team members weren't talking to each other and collaborating.

The worst thing you can do is not attend though. If these folks are trying to catch the eyes of their leadership by showing initiative, you are just going to look worse by not showing up. I have often found people trying to do things among their team in secret are the same folks who are going to make moves make their team members look bad.

Leadership gave the go for the event. The weird thing is I work with all of these guys all day every day (including management) and get along great with all of them. Or at least I thought I did.

It just feels like everything was done behind my back and it’s a deliberate move to keep me out the picture and I haven’t got a clue why they’d do that. Each person in our team has a very distinct role without much shared responsibilities so nobody is gunning for someone elses spotlight or anything.

Something is going on and it irks me that I don’t know what. I doubt they’re trying to ditch me but maybe I should start looking at something else just to be sure.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Look at the email my roommate got from a non-profit "non-partisan" company.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

:thunk:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know when I think "gun rights," I think "warrantless wiretapping, abortion, and minimum wage."

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Okay folks, need to bounce something off you all. A job opportunity/offer has come up, and I'm tempted.

Current job: 1 of 2 IT people at a 24/7/365 operation. Busy as hell, underpaid and undervalued, but I love who I work with and I get to play with a ton of poo poo. We've got a lot of leeway in how we do our job (aka if stuff is working, people are happy), but we do have to work with a corporate IT team who are out of touch. Things are maybe getting better though, as we have a contract for a new IT position opening up and we have managed to steal some extra office space so we aren't quite as tight. We have a pretty hefty training budget, albeit having time to do anything with it has been a challenge. Getting team member #3 will definitely help with that. 45-60 minute drive each way on a sketchy AF highway, but I do have a carpool.

Job offer: Be the second person at a small local community college. 10 minute commute - if I stop for coffee. Unionized job, great benefits, a real pension. To start with, it would be a small paycut. Would achieve equity with current job in about 2 years (assuming current job doesn't pull head out of rear end and pay us what we're worth). Would likely exceed current job after 3-4 years, but caps out fairly quickly and then its small raises after that. Less chances to play with cool stuff, lots of work on videoconferencing (the college does a lot of satellite campus teaching). Main college campus is 2 hours away with a team of 7. Probably not a lot of chances for promotion, but its a job that I could put in 20 years and end up with a great pension and not needing to worry.

I'm tempted to stay at current job, solely because I get to touch more stuff. But freeing up 2 hours of time every day and getting an honest-to-go pension is tempting.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Siochain posted:

Okay folks, need to bounce something off you all. A job opportunity/offer has come up, and I'm tempted.

Current job: 1 of 2 IT people at a 24/7/365 operation. Busy as hell, underpaid and undervalued, but I love who I work with and I get to play with a ton of poo poo. We've got a lot of leeway in how we do our job (aka if stuff is working, people are happy), but we do have to work with a corporate IT team who are out of touch. Things are maybe getting better though, as we have a contract for a new IT position opening up and we have managed to steal some extra office space so we aren't quite as tight. We have a pretty hefty training budget, albeit having time to do anything with it has been a challenge. Getting team member #3 will definitely help with that. 45-60 minute drive each way on a sketchy AF highway, but I do have a carpool.

Job offer: Be the second person at a small local community college. 10 minute commute - if I stop for coffee. Unionized job, great benefits, a real pension. To start with, it would be a small paycut. Would achieve equity with current job in about 2 years (assuming current job doesn't pull head out of rear end and pay us what we're worth). Would likely exceed current job after 3-4 years, but caps out fairly quickly and then its small raises after that. Less chances to play with cool stuff, lots of work on videoconferencing (the college does a lot of satellite campus teaching). Main college campus is 2 hours away with a team of 7. Probably not a lot of chances for promotion, but its a job that I could put in 20 years and end up with a great pension and not needing to worry.

I'm tempted to stay at current job, solely because I get to touch more stuff. But freeing up 2 hours of time every day and getting an honest-to-go pension is tempting.

Is the community college pension government, or private?

If the answer is "private," just remove that from the equation altogether; pretend it doesn't exist.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Take the job offer. No question.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Absolutely do not discount the benefits, union, and shorter commute.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Shorter commute(especially when you’re saving 10+ hours a week) would absolutely be enough to change jobs even if it comes up a bit short on salary. Pension is a no brainer. You also seem to be banking on some radical change in your current company, do you really think that will happen?

If you quickly max out your salary I guess I don’t really know how it affects a pension though. I would consider moving to new opportunity, maxing out your salary, and then moving on, but if you do that the pension may not be worth considering really.. Even without the pension, if it were me I’d jump for the better quality of life anyways.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

DigitalMocking posted:

Local printing via remote desktop has been incredibly problematic so far with all of our RDP testing. It just simply... won't print sometimes. I'm hoping something else would work better for this.

I'd also like to expose the VDI infrastructure to remote workers to get rid of our current VPN access and provide an easier and hopefully less security exploited experience than RDP can be.

https://www.brianmadden.com/opinion/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Terminal-Server-Printing-Design-and-Configuration
This is still probably mostly relevant. Unless you are using 10\16’s latest v4 print drivers.
Citrix has a huge advantage here due to the Citrix Universal Print Driver doing rendering on the client end instead of server

Basically you are gonna have to decide to either do print redirection or actually map printers in a user session. It functions vastly different.

If you do print redirection - I strongly suggest using the printer mapping inf file and mapping drivers to a fallback driver that works with less features. HP LJ 4 or DeskJet 500 might be a good place to start.

Mapping printers and turning off redirection will work well out of box likely.

Edit: Looks like 2008 R2 added something called the Easy Print Driver. I haven't used it. We migrated to Citrix long ago, the above process worked well at the time for several hundred to 1000 concurrent users in an RDS cluster, though.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 7, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tab8715 posted:

What were the names of these services? That's news to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Ping
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAd

Both things that got discontinued due to poor level of use, the later having some key aspects pulled out to be reused as standalone things such as the advertising engine within Apple News etc.

Agrikk posted:

“At my last job...” makes me nuts.

If your last job was such a Mecca of efficiency, why’d you leave it?

I mean lets be real. For a solid chunk of new employees the answer would be "you guys are paying me a lot more" or "I needed to move across town/different state/whatever anyway for my kids/spouse/the demons in my head".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Siochain posted:

I work for a public university so I can offer some insight on this. If this is a public community college then your retirement and healthcare are probably going to be pre-taxed. This will put you at a lower tax bracket and your income tax returns will potentially be higher. Your net pay may go down, but your take home probably won't be reduced too much because of all the tax benefits for being a public employee. However, don't expect steady increases other than cost of living year over year. Once you're in the state system it's easy to transfer or apply for promotions.

Take the job offer.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Vargatron posted:

I work for a public university so I can offer some insight on this. If this is a public community college then your retirement and healthcare are probably going to be pre-taxed. This will put you at a lower tax bracket and your income tax returns will potentially be higher. Your net pay may go down, but your take home probably won't be reduced too much because of all the tax benefits for being a public employee. However, don't expect steady increases other than cost of living year over year. Once you're in the state system it's easy to transfer or apply for promotions.

Take the job offer.

Is having healthcare and 401k taken out pretax uncommon? Every job I’ve had took benefits pretax..

E: unless pre-taxed means the opposite of what I think.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

I know when I think "gun rights," I think "warrantless wiretapping, abortion, and minimum wage."

He looked them up and while they're apparently supposed to just be a gun rights place they're also vocally anti-abortion and anti-homosexuality. I remember seeing an ad from them for an IT director that was like $60k or $70k or something in Colorado.

I really wish these guys could end up being the new Rogue Brewing ad.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Tetramin posted:

Is having healthcare and 401k taken out pretax uncommon? Every job I’ve had took benefits pretax..

Not uncommon at all and usually the only after-tax healthcare premium I’ve seen is when you elect to get your own instead of participating in the company plan.

Edit: On paper the job offer seems way better in almost every way beyond not working with someone you know you like. That’s how every job is pretty much so not worth sticking it out unless you know the other place is full of jerks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tetramin posted:

I think what I meant is retirement contributions don't factor into your gross wages.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tetramin posted:

Shorter commute(especially when you’re saving 10+ hours a week) would absolutely be enough to change jobs even if it comes up a bit short on salary.

I have a walking commute and it's the best thing ever. It's worth an enormous amount of money to me, to the point that I'd have a hard time putting any realistic dollar amount on it. Do not discount how much of your life you'll get back and how amazing that feels.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Vargatron posted:

I think what I meant is retirement contributions don't factor into your gross wages.

My retirement contributions also don’t factor into my gross wages. That’s what pre tax contribution means. If I found out a job made me pay taxes on contributions i would be shocked. No job does that, which is why early withdrawals from your 401k etc cost money in taxes...

Like if any of us here tried to pull 10k from our 401ks, we would all get owned on taxes the next year because we would owe 30-40% on it... that really isn’t abnormal it’s why job benefits are better than setting up your own plan.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

https://www.brianmadden.com/opinion/The-Ultimate-Guide-to-Terminal-Server-Printing-Design-and-Configuration
This is still probably mostly relevant. Unless you are using 10\16’s latest v4 print drivers.
Citrix has a huge advantage here due to the Citrix Universal Print Driver doing rendering on the client end instead of server

Basically you are gonna have to decide to either do print redirection or actually map printers in a user session. It functions vastly different.

If you do print redirection - I strongly suggest using the printer mapping inf file and mapping drivers to a fallback driver that works with less features. HP LJ 4 or DeskJet 500 might be a good place to start.

Mapping printers and turning off redirection will work well out of box likely.

We got a printer guy!!!

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Third option seems like a no-brainer to me, personally.
Expands your resume
Stability
C# isn't usually the language used to interact with low level hardware - I wouldn't worry too much about a knowledge gap. I've worked with some lower level programming, like using SiLabs' bluetooth stack on their BlueGiga modules as a hobby. It's still higher level C though, not much lower level then donking with Arduino. Usually they provide abstraction layer APIs. As a C# programmer you aren't going to be cutting VHDL, so you should be insulated from having to know TOO much about EE.

Thanks! Had another talk with them yesterday and talked about the potential contract in detail. Will have to decided on Monday. Thinking more and more as well that this should be a no-brainer.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

jaegerx posted:

We got a printer guy!!!

I was the loving everything guy, and in many cases the only guy.

AIX\Power Systems(hardware install, os administration)
Linux
VmWare Horizon View
Citrix XenApp
Citrix Netscalers(Setting up content switching servers, virtual servers, never got to doing GSLB though it didn't look awful. I was the other admin's backup)
Infoblox(DHCP, DNS)
VmWare VCenter\ESX(Less so building the clusters, more on building VMs and general day to day stuff, though I've built out Cisco UCS ..once)
EMC XtemeIO
A touch of general san admin, brocade config, occasionally some work in Unisphere for some VNX 2s.
Printing(Though this is going back 8 years)
RightFax(SIP Gateways + configuration, software install + general administration, development against with COM API)
IPSwitch(MoveIt Transfer\Automation)
SAML
General Windows administration, Active Directory
SCCM(Mostly for application deployments)
VmWare ThinApp
Microsoft App-V(Was SoftGrid years ago)
Microsoft UE-V
CommVault
EMC DataDomain

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 7, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

AIX\Power Systems(hardware install, os administration)
Linux
VmWare Horizon View
Citrix XenApp
Citrix Netscalers
Infoblox(DHCP, DNS)
VmWare VCenter\ESX(Less so building the clusters, more on building VMs and general day to day stuff, though I've built out Cisco UCS ..once)
EMC XtemeIO
A touch of general san admin, brocade config, occasionally some work in Unisphere for some VNX 2s.
Printing(Though this is going back 8 years)
RightFax(SIP Gateways + configuration, software install + general administration, development against with COM API)
IPSwitch(MoveIt Transfer\Automation)
SAML
General Windows administration, Active Directory
SCCM(Mostly for application deployments)
VmWare ThinApp
Microsoft App-V(Was SoftGrid years ago)
Microsoft UE-V
CommVault
EMC DataDomain

gently caress yes! :blastu:

This is my life too!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What part of Upper Michigan is your roommate in? Or did he move to South Dakota?

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

I am the everything guy as well, thankfully I found a job where there is at least 1 other person with knowledge in each area I deal in though so I'm no longer on an island alone.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

Something is going on and it irks me that I don’t know what. I doubt they’re trying to ditch me but maybe I should start looking at something else just to be sure.

Are you comfortable just talking to the relevant people directly? Tell them point blank that you really wanted to be involved in this and ask why you weren't.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bonzo posted:

What part of Upper Michigan is your roommate in? Or did he move to South Dakota?

Front range of CO surprisingly. And not even CO Springs.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

This ticket review with our non-IT background director is becoming a giant pain in the rear end. We spent the entire meeting discussing why 5 out of 84 tickets took multiple days to solve and she would not accept any explanations on them. We can't make people respond to our requests to feedback and we can't make parts ship faster. Maybe she should send out a survey or something and focus on customer satisfaction rather than raw totals.

At this point I'd rather we just get transferred over to central IT authority.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

This ticket review with our non-IT background director is becoming a giant pain in the rear end. We spent the entire meeting discussing why 5 out of 84 tickets took multiple days to solve and she would not accept any explanations on them. We can't make people respond to our requests to feedback and we can't make parts ship faster. Maybe she should send out a survey or something and focus on customer satisfaction rather than raw totals.

Just instruct your people to close tickets when they're waiting for a part to ship, then open a new ticket when it gets there.

Tickets get closed faster, and you close more of them. What's that? It doesn't improve service in any way, is actually more work for your techs, and makes it harder to track down where things are supposed to go when they get there? But mah metrics!

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Vargatron posted:

When dealing with leadership, don't say something is impossible if it technically isn't. Non-technical people may assume you are being difficult, based on their own interactions with IT. Cast solutions in the form of trade offs, and let the director rule out options. If you don't trust the directors judgment, help things along by stressing impracticality of options.

Display on a laptop go out? If you buy 25 laptops and 25 desktops to keep in stock annually, you can immediately migrate the user's data over--no waiting on parts needed. This does mean that you need to keep an a cold spare on hand for every top of the line device floating out there--be it $3k workstations, Thunderbolt displays, etc. $100k+ to save an average of 4 hours downtime per user may not be in the budget, or even worthwhile. $40k to upgrade warranty to cover next day parts might be worth the hassle. You could avoid waiting two days for Amazon to ship a projector bulb by spending $500 in advance to have parts on hand.

If users are allowed to keep tickets open indefinitely, have the IT director make a call whether IT has latitude to close tickets if there is over a day of inactivity. If that's not an option, can she compel users to accept scheduled IT appointments? It's just like visiting a doctor--if a user can't/won't show up for treatment, it's out of the hands of the medical staff.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you decide which parts of the company we can we downgrade to a lower license?

Sickening: I don't know what every person in the company needs to do their job. The operations teams should be able to tell you who doesn't use microsoft office or needs access to email. I should not be defining who in the company can have licenses, that is their own leadership.

Purchasing vp in Finance: Hey Ops, can you tell us what we need?

Ops: We need everything we currently have.

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you ......

Sickening: Who is initiating this cost savings initiative? Didn't ops tell you no? Is this mandated by the c suite?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Its a finance driven imitative.

Sickening: Well Ops tells me what they need and I decide how technology can give it to them. Besides, if I figure out which employees can get a reduced license and implement that change, wouldn't it be my imitative?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Not if I ask you to do it.

Sickening: I wish I could help you. Either come back to me with a list from ops on who can be reduced or I am not able to do anything.

Purchasing vp in Finance: I will get back with you at a later date.

:majorminor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How many users do you even have? I can’t imagine moving to K1 unless you have tens of thousands of users will save that much money.