Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Glambags posted:

Cornell might do well in nerd conference because they will have some of their injured guys back, and also gently caress Yale and q'pac

This but also gently caress Cornell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
gently caress St Cloud. We are gonna loving sweep these clowns.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The ACHA hasn't announced its tournament schedule yet and I can't even tell who's playing. Anyone know what their format is and who's invited/makes the cut?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

The ACHA hasn't announced its tournament schedule yet and I can't even tell who's playing. Anyone know what their format is and who's invited/makes the cut?

If it's for club teams they probably can't keep to a specific number of teams. Club hockey is notoriously flaky and you have teams forming/dying/reforming a ton, and i'm guessing right now they're doing what they can just to see what teams would even be able to travel to Frisco before they set a bracket.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

DJExile posted:

If it's for club teams they probably can't keep to a specific number of teams. Club hockey is notoriously flaky and you have teams forming/dying/reforming a ton, and i'm guessing right now they're doing what they can just to see what teams would even be able to travel to Frisco before they set a bracket.

That makes a ton of sense, considering it's two weeks out with zero news. I know Bama pretty much finished at .500, but this sounds like a "show up and play" tournament so they might still go then? It's in Plano, TX this year (I've got family in Denton, which is the only reason I'm considering it).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GD_American posted:

That makes a ton of sense, considering it's two weeks out with zero news. I know Bama pretty much finished at .500, but this sounds like a "show up and play" tournament so they might still go then? It's in Plano, TX this year (I've got family in Denton, which is the only reason I'm considering it).

Yeah honestly tournaments like these are probably a "you're in if you can even get here" thing. You probably won't have teams set until maybe later next week.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Yeah I was clicking around their website and they have actually have an ACHA shop, where you can....pay dues and fines. Which makes sense, making it easier on club teams to pay dues, but just looks weird as all hell.

Now that South Alabama has built their football stadium, I guess my new Powerball fantasy is becoming Bama hockey's sugar daddy and buying them a rink. On the condition that they name it the Barack Hussein Obama Victory Complex.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ehhh the teams that go to the ACHA tournament are still going to be the best teams unless the tournament has dropped in quality a ton since I played. The top teams almost always go. The teams that are folding in the ACHA are generally bad to begin with.

This is more true as you go up in division (ACHA D1 is fairly serious), but if you look at the past tournaments for ACHA D3 even, it's still the best teams. Like Georgia Tech went from the South last year and they were 18-4.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

...jesus christ BG

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan is still loving trash and now Quinn Hughes is hurt so they're gonna get extra swept tomorrow

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao holy poo poo they came back

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

The refs

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

DJExile posted:

Lmao holy poo poo they came back

Yeah, we choked it away...

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Goddammit PSU came back from The Most Dangerous Lead and hosed it up :smith:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

"Hmmm going to OT huh? Well we can't let our Very Special Boys lose this one, so lets make up something to review and make sure we give them a power play for the entirety of overtime." - the refs

Crevec
Mar 1, 2003

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

"Hmmm going to OT huh? Well we can't let our Very Special Boys lose this one, so lets make up something to review and make sure we give them a power play for the entirety of overtime." - the refs

Except that the review was requested by the SCSU coach at the next stoppage of play. That just happened to be the end of regulation. A penalty likely wasn't called initially because the ref turned to protect himself from the hit. The call was completely correct in that it was a direct hit to the head and should have been a 5 minute major. The review could have only resulted in no penalty or a 5 minute major. Reviews can't result in a 2 minute penalty.

You really should have a bigger issue with the OT goal that was scored with what I thought was a distinct kicking motion. I was really surprised that they called that a good goal.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG out to a quick 3-1 lead on Nerds, curious to see how we blow this

also Minn State officially through to the 2nd round, beating Bama-Huntsville 4-1 earlier today

E: 3-2! oh man it's gonna be one of Those Games

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HELL YEAH FREDDIE ON THE PENALTY SHOT GO A FALCONA

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HELL YEAH LET'S GET DISAPPOINTED IN THE SECOND ROUND INSTEAD

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Princeton just scored three goals with an extra skater to force OT in an ECAC slugfest with Brown.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Crevec posted:

Except that the review was requested by the SCSU coach at the next stoppage of play. That just happened to be the end of regulation. A penalty likely wasn't called initially because the ref turned to protect himself from the hit. The call was completely correct in that it was a direct hit to the head and should have been a 5 minute major. The review could have only resulted in no penalty or a 5 minute major. Reviews can't result in a 2 minute penalty.

You really should have a bigger issue with the OT goal that was scored with what I thought was a distinct kicking motion. I was really surprised that they called that a good goal.

Both calls sucked op.

Still, can't be too upset about losing to the best team in D1 by a goal in both games. We can get another crack at them if we get to the Frozen Faceoff Championship. Otherwise we'll see them in the tournament if they don't gently caress it up again.

Grand Theft Autobot fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 10, 2019

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michigan doesn't have to play hockey anymore this season

which is good because they haven't been playing any at all this season

Bye, Quinn

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

PSU/UW is crazy right now, and audio-only feeds will be the death of me

that is all

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
https://twitter.com/CHN_AdamWodon/status/1104906828155154432?s=19

lol

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

And PSU wins in OT! :woop:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Good old Coach Guy, wish he was still at Princeton.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

At least the Women's team is still good.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Congrats to PSU for finally winning two consecutive games

Took the entire year, but w/e

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bracket updates!

get hosed forever jim delany you poo poo!

#4 Penn State survives Wisconsin and will play #1 Ohio State
#3 Minnesota plays #2 Notre Dame
Both games are on campus sites and are single games.

heast!
All 1st round games are best-of-3 series. Teams will be re-seeded after this round.
#1 UMass hosts #8 UNH
#4 Mass-Lowell hosts #5 BU
#3 Northeastern hosts #6 Maine
#2 Providence hosts #7 BC

nerrrrdddddddds!
We're on to the Quarterfinals, best-of-3:
Brown gets sacrificed to #1 Q'Pac
Dartmouth @ #4 Harvard
Yale @ #3 Clarkson
Union @ #2 Cornell

tornado alley or something, gently caress it, it's late and i'm tired
Best of 3 quarterfinals. Semis and finals are single-game.

#8 Miami gets murderkilled @ #1 St Cloud
#5 NoDak @ #4 Denver
#6 ColColl @ #3 WMU
#7 Neb-Omaha @ #2 Minn-Duluth

weird poo poo conference
Best-of-3 semis. Finals will be 1 game. Everything hosted at higher seed campus.
#4 LSSU @ #1 Minn-State
#3 BGSU @ #2 Northern Mich
Man, fair play to Lake Superior, they've had a hell of a year after languishing in the lower half for what felt like ever.

there is zero loving reason to give this conference an autobid holy god
some teams are playing other teams. none of this matters.

oh hey that one independent that's probably joining the WCHA when one or both alaska programs die!
For the curious, Arizona State has not played since March 2nd, being swept at Minnesota. They currently sit at #10 in the Pairwise, and barring some serious upsets in the conference tournaments, it seems like they've got pretty good odds to make it in.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rip Teemu

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This weekend!

Rutgers is totally here to help improve recruiting and competitive balance! Stop laughing!
Single-game semifinals

Ohio State vs. Penn State
Minnesota vs. Notre Dame

The only conference that exists in the entire country according to R-lam and creepy ESPN guy who loving sucks at play by play!
Best-of-3 game quarterfinals

Mass vs. UNH
Mass-Lowell vs. BU
Neastrn vs. Maine
BC vs. Prov

everyone's parents bought their way into these schools

Brown vs. QPac
Dartmo vs. Harvard
Yale vs Clark
Union vs. Corn

Bomb Cyclone hitting all this area i guess. topical!

Cloud vs. Miami
Denver vs. NoDak
WMU vs. Col
NebOm vs. Min-Du

DJExile's Inevitable Crushing Last-Second Defeat
Best-of-3-game Semifinals

MinnSt vs. LakeSt
BG vs Northern

Arizona state
Sitting at #10 in the pairwise and just waiting things out

buuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
About 10 years ago, I'd been doing my little broadcasting side job for a few years and the then-executive director of our station called me to ask if I could go call a college hockey game in the Detroit area for radio. Sure, sounds fun! Who's playing? "It's uh... Wayne State and... someone, I donno. I'll get you rosters." The game was at the Michigan State Fairgrounds Coliseum, a nearly 100 year old riding and hockey arena in Novi that seated about 5,500. The building had clearly not been updated in 40-50 years, smelled heavily of manure, and I walked a full lap around the outside of the place trying to find the entrance they were using for the game. My rosters were hastily scribbled onto the back of a flyer by a team manager. He told me it was Wayne State's senior night, well that sounds cool!

"Well, yeah, but it's the last game of our team's entire existence too. The conference is shutting down and we couldn't find another one to join, plus it's costing the school a ton of money."

...oh. I had not been made aware of any of this.

I would later learn the guy who usually called their games just didn't feel like going. "Oh hey, who's on color commentary for this game?" "on what?"

OK, then.

I worked my way up to the box. Rusted out metal and splintery wood led to a barren broadcast booth that had a laptop and cheap plastic chat headset held together by scotch tape and a rubber band. I got a phone call from Wayne State's... I don't know. SID, maybe? There was no title sponsor, no commercial breaks, "you can uh... just unplug the headset for intermissions, you don't have to do intermission reports or anything. Once the game is over just thank the audience for listening and that'll be it."

After a senior night ceremony that may as well have been a funeral for the handful of seniors, a terrible Wayne State team stumbled out of the gate against their opponent who looked largely bored with the game. Warriors would fall 7-3. After the game, players hugged and quietly left the ice. The coliseum is pretty big. Seats 5,500, big arching roof. Have a look:

The announced attendance was 300, and that absolutely had to include both teams' rosters, coaching staffs, and the few remaining workers at the arena. Hell, they probably counted me. There were maybe 10-15 fans of the opponent in attendance. Nobody really made any noise aside from the players themselves. Everything about the game, the broadcast, and arena itself was just sad. The Detroit area had been in economic depression for decades and the national economic drop in 2007 certainly didn't help matters at all. Even the opponent wasn't really celebrating the win and you could see them hugging Wayne State players afterwards in what I'm sure were dour, perhaps tear-filled hugs. I thanked the audience that I'm pretty sure didn't exist, unplugged the headset, and closed the laptop.

The teams left the ice and that was it. Last one out, turn off the lights.

The opponent was Niagara, who, along with the rest of the CHA, would leave after that season for Atlantic Hockey the next year. Wayne State's team disbanded, and wouldn't even re-form as a club team until around 2013, and honestly I'm not sure they still exist. I do believe they still have a varsity women's team, so there's that.

That's my Atlantic Hockey story.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 15, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

BG plays northern, not tech. I can't believe you would confuse my Alma mater with that garbage pile of a school from 2 hours down the road... :colbert:

That story was awesome though. It was better than pretty much any writer had ever wrote about college hockey.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao oh my god yeah it's Northern. Holy hell I am out of it today.

Also thanks :cheers:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I appreciate the conference headlines that you do every thread and week of the tournaments.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

I appreciate the conference headlines that you do every thread and week of the tournaments.

dawww :glomp:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Agreed. I especially like the buying there way into school one this week. Way to be plugged in.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

my humor is good and topical

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Good show by BG tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I was at the walleye game and didn't see the score until recently holy poo poo :stare: