Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KirbyKhan posted:

Factorio: An series of escalating temporary fixes

Im the lovingly crafted diagonal road next to the "fuckit it goes up some then left some" belt.

can I be the three separate steam engine site additions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

KirbyKhan posted:

Im the lovingly crafted diagonal road next to the "fuckit it goes up some then left some" belt.

The road builds perfectly by simply moving diagonally. Not so much for belts which don't seem to have a diagonal setting. Kind of like that silly looking jagged series of 90 degree bends pipeline.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The Locator posted:

A lot of my base was built that way, by observing what item was the bottleneck after production had been going on long enough to observe it, and then figuring out how to patch up that weak point.
That’s how a lot of actual factories evolve, too, so you’re on the right track!

By the way if you don’t know, inserters can grab and place items on bends, so the bulges you have at the end of some belt segments are unnecessary (e.g. at the bottom of your green science assemblers and the coal line just above the Shoreline Assembler).

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That’s how a lot of actual factories evolve, too, so you’re on the right track!

By the way if you don’t know, inserters can grab and place items on bends, so the bulges you have at the end of some belt segments are unnecessary (e.g. at the bottom of your green science assemblers and the coal line just above the Shoreline Assembler).

Thanks. I know I have some inserters grabbing from bends, and I don't even remember why I did those bulges. Maybe I figured out what you just told me after I did those and don't remember it!

Ciaphas posted:

can I be the three separate steam engine site additions

Is there a reason that this is bad, other than not getting the most efficiency out of a pump?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's generally indicative of not setting aside a dedicated power area which is something you normally do when you don't necessarily realise how much power you're going to need but there's nothing inherently wrong with it, other than it means you need to run fuel to a lot of different places.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Hello, not Factorio content, but Satisfactory just announced their early access arrival date and went up for presale on the Epic Games Store. I can't really say anything else because I'm pretty sure there's still an NDA, but that was definitely a public announcement.

I guess you can't really say much but would you say it's a 3D first person factorio game or more like a survival game with some belts?

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star

kanonvandekempen posted:

I guess you can't really say much but would you say it's a 3D first person factorio game or more like a survival game with some belts?

The first. My uncle at Nintendo told me.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
"Uh actually Factorio is just modded minecraft."

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Locator posted:

Is there a reason that this is bad, other than not getting the most efficiency out of a pump?

Theres nothing wrong with it. Everyone here just enjoys seeing peoples play styles evolve because once you've sunk enough time in all designs slowly converge toward the most efficient. And while I love building and playing mega-factories they are nowhere near as visually interesting as someone's fresh and creative belt spaghetti.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Updated Flare Stack. Now incinerators will destroy any non-burner-fuel item, and also wood. Electric incinerators will destroy any item, including burner fuels.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Finally, a way to get rid of the starting gun.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

GotLag posted:

Updated Flare Stack. Now incinerators will destroy any non-burner-fuel item, and also wood. Electric incinerators will destroy any item, including burner fuels.
Can they incinerate Incinerators? So I can automate building incinerators to send into the incinerator?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Oxyclean posted:

Finally, a way to get rid of the starting gun.

I always just put it in a crate and shot the crate with a tank.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^ Or run it over, saves bullets and feels better.

KirbyKhan posted:

I can feel the sudden realization that there's more than 4 colors of science packs.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Croccers posted:

Can they incinerate Incinerators? So I can automate building incinerators to send into the incinerator?

You can indeed do this. In fact, please create a factory that can produce incinerators fast enough to keep an incinerator burning them at all times, and post pictures.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

chairface posted:

I always just put it in a crate and shot the crate with a tank.

Why is everyone so extra about this poo poo? Put it in a crate and forget about it, drat

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

So here is the first base (after the tutorial) as it currently sits.

Way off to the upper left is an oil field from where I am piping in oil of some kind and transporting solid fuel to make the plastic and blue research.

Way down to the lower right is an iron ore field, as the ore in the original base is rapidly running out and I had to split up the smelting because too many miners are no longer in service there.

I did cheat slightly on this start and set the bugs to start at a distance of 150%, so I've only had to clean out 3 nests so far (and drat near died doing it even with my car allowing me to strafe them).

First shot is the top half of the main base which is pretty much just research stuff. The road and railway were both just experimenting and the railroad is not in use even though I've built a locomotive and some cars.

Main base where it all began and the belts are all convoluted and it's pretty hard to run through now!

I went through my post history and your first factory looks practically professional compared to my first factory:

(Think that was 0.15?)

Feels nuts to see this again, with all the things I've learned since.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

First factories? This was our 11.X multiplayer mess.

https://i.imgur.com/Ztb9zBM.gifv

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I've uncovered an absurd amount of the map without finding oil. Should I just start over or cheat oil in.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Does anyone know of a way to calculate how much time trains take?

Let's say I have an outpost factory that needs 300 coal/minute. I train some in, because trains. Ideally, the train would deliver just enough coal to last until the next delivery, whether that's in a minute (300 coal) or 5 minutes (1500 coal) or whatever.
But I don't know how to calculate how long it will take between trips. Are there any options besides just timing it manually?

Of course, the best solution might be to not do this at all, and instead the factory sends a supply train to the coal depot when it's running low.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Whenever I make my first SMG (or anyone from my group) it is tradition to throw the pistol into the lake. Same with outdated armors and any revive-granted weapons.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've uncovered an absurd amount of the map without finding oil. Should I just start over or cheat oil in.

Depends how invested you are, I guess. I had the same problem in my game, but kept looking until I eventually found some. It was far enough out that it was so big I didn't need to tap half of it to get the rocket launched.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

First factories? This was our 11.X multiplayer mess.

https://i.imgur.com/Ztb9zBM.gifv

You know, I really miss being new to this game. I think the first version I played was 0.9 or .10, before there was an encyclopedia of game knowledge available online. The thrill of discovery and figuring out how to piece things together for the first time was absolutely magical.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Haven't played Factorio but I'm thinking about it

What is this

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Potato Salad posted:

What is this

A machine that wastes energy in a hilariously futile manner.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Potato Salad posted:

Haven't played Factorio but I'm thinking about it

What is this

The Fish-Go-Round

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

What is this

Factorio rave.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
This isn't my first factory (that one was hilarious, I only figured out halfway through that you could use more than one of each building to go faster) but it's close. From 4 years ago:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Looks like there's a satisfactory alpha test this weekend for anyone who requested a key. NDA is lifted as well so we'll get to see what that thing is all about.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone else hate playing with biters? I don't mind it once I am in mid-game, but I hate rushing and I love planning. Doing it quickly is never fun to me, just stressful. That and I don't have any starting blueprints to get up and running faster so that slows down my progress to fight biters.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boogalo posted:

Looks like there's a satisfactory alpha test this weekend for anyone who requested a key. NDA is lifted as well so we'll get to see what that thing is all about.

The biggest thing I want to know when the nda lifts is how big can I build before my computer dies.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone else hate playing with biters? I don't mind it once I am in mid-game, but I hate rushing and I love planning. Doing it quickly is never fun to me, just stressful. That and I don't have any starting blueprints to get up and running faster so that slows down my progress to fight biters.

Same here. I like to take my time and go massive from the start and I get overrun easily if I'm not on peaceful. Also I loathe running around feeding turrets with ammo until I can automate it. One day I will do a deathworld factory just for the challenge and experience though.

I don't even start producing red science until I've got my 4 fully saturated lanes of iron and at least 1 of copper. Factorio: Go big or go home.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 7, 2019

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Same here. I like to take my time and go massive from the start and I get overrun easily if I'm not on peaceful. Also I loathe running around feeding turrets with ammo until I can automate it. One day I will do a deathworld factory just for the challenge and experience though.

I don't even start producing red science until I've got my 4 fully saturated lanes of iron and at least 1 of copper. Factorio: Go big or go home.

The thing is, I want them to start coming once my base is built up. Then it gets fun for me. So I want a mod or setting where I can turn off peaceful mode while in game, rather than decide just at the start.

I am a software dev so maybe it's worth looking into doing it myself, if it is possible. Not sure what is involved in making a mod like that though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Time pressure feels extremely antithetical to the puzzle game aspect of Factorio, but it's clear that a lot of people continue to play the game long after the puzzle part has mostly if not entirely been solved, and I imagine it's them that biters are there for.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I want a combination of deathworld and peaceful. Lots of biters that evolve fast but don't actively attack you. That way military research is still essential to expanding, but you don't have to scramble to defend yourself in the first 10 minutes.

Edit: I guess that's actually possible now that I look at the world gen parameters more closely.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 7, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I went through my post history and your first factory looks practically professional compared to my first factory:

(Think that was 0.15?)

Feels nuts to see this again, with all the things I've learned since.

I get a kick out of your pavement... eh, I'm going to wreck this planet with pollution, may as well just pave it over while I'm at it... crap, out of pavement, just leave it that way.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problem with biters is that you HAVE to drop what you're doing to deal with an unexpected attack, or they will just keep eating.

Transitioning to perhaps more transient damage, such as temporarily disabling structures with bio goop/webbing and then just nesting in place means that part of your poo poo is hosed up, but you don't have to sprint over there (might be a train ride away, too) to fix it and break your work flow.

Plus this might lead to "where's all my iron? Oh my big mine is completely infested woops"

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 7, 2019

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

The biggest problem with biters is that you HAVE to drop what you're doing to deal with an unexpected attack, or they will just keep eating.

Transitioning to perhaps more transient damage, such as temporarily disabling structures with bio goop/webbing and then just nesting in place means that part of your poo poo is hosed up, but you don't have to sprint over there (might be a train ride away, too) to fix it and break your work flow.

Plus this might lead to "where's all my iron? Oh my big mine is completely infested woops"

Fortrrsscraft for all it's issues handles this well. Losing to the enemy doesn't damage tour buildings it just shuts your factory down for a while so it can reboot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evilreaver posted:

that sounds rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Solumin posted:

Does anyone know of a way to calculate how much time trains take?

Let's say I have an outpost factory that needs 300 coal/minute. I train some in, because trains. Ideally, the train would deliver just enough coal to last until the next delivery, whether that's in a minute (300 coal) or 5 minutes (1500 coal) or whatever.
But I don't know how to calculate how long it will take between trips. Are there any options besides just timing it manually?

Of course, the best solution might be to not do this at all, and instead the factory sends a supply train to the coal depot when it's running low.

Looks like the answer to my problem is logistic train network.