Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So I, on a whim to try and make myself tired before bed, decided to fire up the Netflix film "Deadly Detention". I wasn't expecting much, but...

In a way, it's good that films like this exist. They're a very good primer on what NOT to do. It also shows that even if a film is competently shot (I recall a bunch of films in SA's old film reviews that were so dark and with such terrible camerawork you might as well have watched it blindfolded), that doesn't meant there's any competence anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
What is straight up the worst horror film you have ever seen

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

For me, its S.I.C.K. Serial Insane Clown Killer

To this day I still get angry at that film, half because the grammar of the title makes no sense. He is an Insane Serial Killer Clown, not a man who consistently kills insane clowns

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Bloodz vs Wolves

A grown man taking a poo poo on a newspaper like a dog is the highlight.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

To this day I still get angry at that film, half because the grammar of the title makes no sense. He is an Insane Serial Killer Clown, not a man who consistently kills insane clowns

That Boogeyman movie was pretty bad and boring.

House of the Dead is bad and boring.

That’s kinda the problem. I consider boring horror films to be the worst, but that also tends to mean they’re forgettable.

Ankle Biters and Blood Gnomes are both dreadful indie horror.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

House of the Dead is bad and boring.

House of the Dead is dogshit but it least has two next level this is almost incredible implementation of brazen gratuitous nudity. Like brazen isn't even the word. Also a fun artifact of a zombie movie made EXACTLY after the year 2000 but before the year 2004, as it features a scene where someone has to explain to another character who George Romero is and what a zombie movie is.

House of the Dead 2 is way worse imo, definitely skip if you haven't seen it already.

For me the single worst horror movie I've ever seen is, by far, Hellbilly, a 2003 movie directed by Massimiliano Cerchi. It drags like hell despite not even being 50 minutes long and you can see it on Prime right now.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Deliver Us From Evil. That's the worst for me.

It was the most bro-tastic, nothing actually scary happening crap. Also, "Based on a true story"

If I remember right there isn't even a jump scare done by something supernatural for 30-40 minutes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of Amazon Prime, has anyone watched any of the "Bad Ben" movies on there? There are like seven of them and looks like they were made in a day by one dude in his house.

I am tempted to watch them but I don't think even my sense of irony is strong enough

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Oh, and another point about Let’s Scare Jessica to Death aside from you should watch it because it’s really good:

Don’t be deterred by the film’s title. It’s an awesome title IMO but it’s a title for a completely different movie. The title implies a more playful and frivolous movie than what you’re going to get. That might be some movie about a clique of mean girls at some prep school ganging up to prank and scare some poor kid, possibly to death and she comes back to get her grisly revenge from beyond the grave.

This film is a lot more dark and intense.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's Scare Jessica To Death is full Gothic.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blast Fantasto posted:

I mean if you’ve seen the short film he made about the son sexually abusing his own father... not a one-hit wonder, this guy!

I was extremely unsurprised to discover that was Ari as well. Dude is going to do big things for the genre

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of Amazon Prime, has anyone watched any of the "Bad Ben" movies on there? There are like seven of them and looks like they were made in a day by one dude in his house.

I am tempted to watch them but I don't think even my sense of irony is strong enough

I sat through a few. They kinda remind me of when I was younger, armed with a camera and got some friends together to make a movie. So they're more 'heart' than quality. Give the first one a watch and make your decision on the rest from there.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

I sat through a few. They kinda remind me of when I was younger, armed with a camera and got some friends together to make a movie.

but isnt the dude like, fifty

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I watched the first Bad Ben, it was fine if you like that style of movie.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I mean if you’ve seen the short film he made about the son sexually abusing his own father... not a one-hit wonder, this guy!

Yeah I was going to say this. That’s some kinda movie, alright. If he’s a poser I’m not exactly sure what he’s posing as, it’s something weird though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

but isnt the dude like, fifty

Just adds extra charm to it.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've seen a lot of really bad shot on video/microbudget movies but it almost feels unfair to include them. Terror at Blood Fart Lake was terrible and embarrassing to watch. There is also a 1970 film called Carnival of Blood that was bafflingly bad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

I've seen a lot of really bad shot on video/microbudget movies but it almost feels unfair to include them. Terror at Blood Fart Lake was terrible and embarrassing to watch.

There was a night in TFF that the Monday Night Football game was so boring we side-streamed blood fart lake and then one of the 1313 movies and just posted about that

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

alf_pogs posted:

i belive they are watching the original "the thing" movie

When I last watched the original Halloween, a 40 year old movie, it occurred to me that The Thing From Another World and Forbidden Planet were both only ~20 years old at the time. I think of Halloween as being much more modern, but it's twice as old now as those classics were at the time. It's like if during the 2018 Halloween they were watching The Faculty.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

In 1978's Nurse Sherri any good

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Bigfoot Vs. Zombies - They never even bother to zip up the back of the Sasquatch costume in most scenes.

Sharkenstein - Part of the magic of filmmaking is being able to hide your tricks from the audience. So why orient your camera in such a way to let everyone know these World War II soldiers are wearing black Sketchers?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

When I last watched the original Halloween, a 40 year old movie, it occurred to me that The Thing From Another World and Forbidden Planet were both only ~20 years old at the time. I think of Halloween as being much more modern, but it's twice as old now as those classics were at the time. It's like if during the 2018 Halloween they were watching The Faculty.

The kids at the party in Scream are watching Halloween, which came out 18 years before. If someone were to make a horror movie today where people were watching Scream, it would be a difference or 22 years, making it an even older movie in comparison.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I think it's so easy to forget how much time has gone by because as a late 80's/early 90's kid Halloween was a constant on cable t.v., even sometimes outside of the October season. It didn't feel like an "old movie" to me then, and I think Halloween is a film that maintained it's power to have an impact on people seeing it for the first time for much longer than the average horror movie. And as far as cable t.v. networks go, Halloween seemed to be the starting point for them in terms of how far back they were willing to go in the genre. You'd see Halloween playing on t.v. all the time but very rarely anything from the late 60s or very early 70s.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Kvlt! posted:

It's middle of the road for a 70s era slasher.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

good enough for me gently caress it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

In 1978 most definitely :quagmire:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Closer to 30 years, in the case of The Thing (1951). Forbidden Planet was 1956, though, so yeah.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Closer to 30 years, in the case of The Thing (1951). Forbidden Planet was 1956, though, so yeah.

oh, for some reason I was thinking it was later in the '50s. Still, closer to 1978 than 1978 is to today. I think because I've been watching stuff like Halloween since I was kid, they don't feel old to me even though obviously a 40 year old movie is getting up there.

also it makes me feel really old when I hear people say stuff like "I saw this old movie the other day, it was from the '90s"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

Yeah, although I probably wouldn't have seen Nurse Sherri if I didn't get a monthly drop from Vinegar Syndrome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

oh, for some reason I was thinking it was later in the '50s. Still, closer to 1978 than 1978 is to today. I think because I've been watching stuff like Halloween since I was kid, they don't feel old to me even though obviously a 40 year old movie is getting up there.

also it makes me feel really old when I hear people say stuff like "I saw this old movie the other day, it was from the '90s"

People who were weren't alive when Scream came out are able to vote now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

But if they haven't seen Scream they shouldn't be allowed to

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i'm pretty sure i've seen at least one horror movie that made me say "oh gently caress you" when they were over, which i think is a mark of a worse movie than just "oh i saw the zippers"

i can't actually remember any off the top of my head though v:shobon:v

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
oh wait no, i lied

The Re-Cycle is a Chinese horror/fantasy film about a woman who goes on a dream-journey to meet her aborted fetus and the whole thing is one long psychedelic guilt trip on her for not choosing motherhood

that's the worst horror film i've ever seen (even if it's blurring genre lines a bit)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Neo Rasa posted:

People born after 9/11 are going to be able to vote by the end of the year.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I have questions for those who have watched Let's Scare Jessica to Death:

Who was the mute girl who led Jessica to the body of the antique dealer? Was she another vampire/victim of Emily/Abigail? Was she mute because her throat had been injured by the vampiric bloodletting? I seem to remember she was wearing something around her neck, maybe similar to the wounds the other townspeople had?

Also, why the one woman when every other person in that dying/dead town was male? I mean I could see where the town is simply made up of vampire slaves of Abigail who had been seduced by her over the years and then made victim? I guess she could have been a woman who had been seduced, it seemed like Emily/Abigail tried to seduce Jessica too.

Why was the husband trying so hard to interrupt Jessica when the antique dealer was telling her the story of Abigail and the Bishop family? Had he already been made victim at that point or knew what was going on and still trying to keep her in the dark?

On the one hand I could see how remaking a film like this even with a tiny bit of budget and makeup would be awesome. On the other hand I think the performances by the Jessica and Emily actresses are so drat good it would probably suffer inevitably in the comparison.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Green Inferno was mean in a way that actively pissed me off in a way most horror movies rarely do. It just felt like Eli Roth standing just off to the side going “How’d you like that tough guy? How freaking awesome is that?” while a girl gets vile diarrhea.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Coffee And Pie posted:

Green Inferno was mean in a way that actively pissed me off in a way most horror movies rarely do. It just felt like Eli Roth standing just off to the side going “How’d you like that tough guy? How freaking awesome is that?” while a girl gets vile diarrhea.

I had the same reaction. Also to Knock Knock. Basically gently caress Eli Roth.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah I agree. He really went in on campus activism in the Q&A at the premiere and it was seriously off-putting and made me like the film a whole lot less (I didn't really like it in the first place).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Yeah I agree. He really went in on campus activism in the Q&A at the premiere and it was seriously off-putting and made me like the film a whole lot less (I didn't really like it in the first place).

The tone of the movie comes off as “don’t even try to help people you son of a bitch” as opposed to “it’s conceited to assume all indigenous people / isolated societies want or need our help”.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Eli Roth seems like the kind of guy you'd start off having a great conversation with and then once he gets comfortable with you he gets into his real opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I had the same reaction. Also to Knock Knock. Basically gently caress Eli Roth.

At least Knock Knock had a decent cast and enough moral ambiguity to make you wonder if Keanu deserved it. Literally the only good character in Green Inferno is the masturbator.

TheKingslayer posted:

Eli Roth seems like the kind of guy you'd start off having a great conversation with and then once he gets comfortable with you he gets into his real opinions.

He’s horror’s Dane Cook