Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

That account also suggested that getting an oscar cost you your foreskin, cuz you know, jews.

I’m thinking their posts are not entirely in good faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Preliminary Chapter 115 spoilers based on small pixelated leaks:

Levi is dead and Hange finds his corpse, confirming his death. Assuming no shenanigans (like she's lying to throw off her captors), I am 200% mad because the manner of his death was so contrived.

E: y'know, given the leakers' love of leaking the most incendiary panels, I'm gonna say he's actually alive and it's a ruse.

Denial <-- I am here
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 6, 2019

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Chapter 115

Some weird stuff is happening this chapter.

No way Levi is dead, otherwise Hanji would’ve just left his body. No idea what’s going on with Zeke.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Yup, Levi's definitely alive. He's just lost two fingers (possibly an entire hand) and had his face shredded with shrapnel. As many others have pointed out, this makes him Punished Levi.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Not sure what threat a gun is to Eren, so I'm curious what Piek's plan is here.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In It For The Tank posted:

Yup, Levi's definitely alive. He's just lost two fingers

amazing chapter I can't believe levi transformed into a goon

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

A lot of fuckery going on this chapter. Was that girl the original Ymir? Any thoughts on why he saw the same stars as Ymir did when she got the Jaw titan?

e: Actually, Zeke's words are almost the same as Ymir's letter.

Sub Harrison fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 7, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Isn't that the mystery girl that played with Historia?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here's my wild take only for the sake of making everything even more nuts but I doubt it will be true. Pieck is owl's daughter.

Sub Harrison posted:

A lot of fuckery going on this chapter. Was that girl the original Ymir? Any thoughts on why he saw the same stars as Ymir did when she got the Jaw titan?

I have also have had a sneaking suspicion since Eren ate the Hammer Titan that, the end goal is to consolidate all the titans in to one again. And maybe she ends up being the child in the final frame.

I thought it was weird that he was looking into the light at something.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 7, 2019

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Sub Harrison posted:

Oh drat, good catch!

I'm very excited to see badass scarred Levi. Also, yeah, I can really see Eren eradicating the paths as the ending, freeing children from a world where people will eat them for/because of hosed up titan powers that maybe weren't a good idea in the first place.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's also one flaw with Zeke's plan. I'm assuming that Zeke told Eren that together because of Zeke's bloodline they can use the founding titan power but there is also another he could work together with the same effect, Historia. Eren could just work with her to accomplish another goal, a less euthanize everyone goal.

I guess Eren should really know some this from being able to use it by being close to Dina Fritz and Zeke most likely confirmed it for him. Eren did voice his suspicions of this when Historia was crowned queen and didn't tell anyone for fear of making people think he would harm her to gain the power for himself. It was a chapter from at least maybe 2 years ago.

There's also some strange wording to what Owl told Eren's father, in the same chapter.

Was it all planned out that long ago that it had to be two people changing the wills of the people? He says the king only made the vow with the founding titan.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 7, 2019

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Kild posted:

Isn't that the mystery girl that played with Historia?

Close. It's the girl in the book Frieda read to Historia AKA the original Ymir.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The point is that he didn't want Historia to become a titan - that's why he's going through all the trouble of working with Zeke, and made her his baby mama.

Sub Harrison posted:

That's also what Owl tells Grisha, and what Eren tells Reiner, and to Zeke in the flashback.

I'm pretty sure it's all meant to be a play on 進撃; I believe Eren's fatalistic streak is, beyond his distaste at being influenced by memories/instincts from the past, that all the titans are being manipulated towards a concrete end.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

drat Pieck. drat.

It's cool we get to see a titan just straight up be all "I don't really wanna eat you so I'm just gonna put you in the important spot" *rips open stomach*

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

ATP_Power posted:

Not sure what threat a gun is to Eren, so I'm curious what Piek's plan is here.

Shifter or not, a bullet to the brain is almost certainly instant death.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

You're probably right, but after the poo poo that Reiner has survived I have my doubts.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Floch got like one panel of genre savvy, so Revenge Yelena was my spirit animal for this chapter.

At first I thought that one panel with the recruits lining up the non-Yeagerists was a firing squad, but I guess they were just putting on the armbands and marching them to internment.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Tenzarin posted:

There's also one flaw with Zeke's plan. I'm assuming that Zeke told Eren that together because of Zeke's bloodline they can use the founding titan power but there is also another he could work together with the same effect, Historia.

They've brought this up several times but the person of royal blood also needs to be a titan so this is pretty much out of the question without feeding Annie/Armin/Zeke to her - and *someone* (likely Eren or Yelena) was so opposed to that idea that they convinced Historia to get knocked up just so that it won't happen - timing her 9 months of pregnancy with the period of time that Marley would attack Paradis.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Although, if the person with royal blood needs to be a titan, why did Zeke tell Eren not to shake his hand? Unless Zeke would count as a titan even when he isn't in his beast form.

Also, on a similar topic, why didn't Zeke insist that he and Eren sterilize the Eldians right then and there once Eren seemingly agreed with his perspective? They had everything they needed to do it. I feel like there was a reason for the delay but I can't remember it. I know that Eren would refuse because he doesn't actually support Zeke's ideals but I wonder why Zeke didn't ask him to do it.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 7, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I need to reread this poo poo ASAP, Im understanding like 40% of whats happening now

Although, if the person with royal blood needs to be a titan, why did Zeke tell Eren not to shake his hand? Unless Zeke would count as a titan even when he isn't in his beast form.

Also, on a similar topic, why didn't Zeke insist that he and Eren sterilize the Eldians right then and there once Eren seemingly agreed with his perspective? They had everything they needed to do it. I feel like there was a reason for the delay but I can't remember it. I know that Eren would refuse because he doesn't actually support Zeke's ideals but I wonder why Zeke didn't ask him to do it.

why do you say Eren is not really onboard? He seemed to be, although it seems really out of character for him

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elias_Maluco posted:

I need to reread this poo poo ASAP, Im understanding like 40% of whats happening now

why do you say Eren is not really onboard? He seemed to be, although it seems really out of character for him

I think the Mangastream translations don't help much in that regard. I'm also quite confused.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
It does seem now that Eren is on board with Zeke's auto-genocide plan. I was really hoping that wasn't the case. I still think it's possible he has his own agenda and agreed just to manipulate Zeke, but I admit that's just grasping at straws. If he really is a willing participant in this plan then Eren needs to explicitly become the villain, or the haters may be right that the series is promoting genocide. I just can't reconcile this right now, either outcome is terribly inconsistent with the story's themes and Eren's character.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If Eren truly agrees with Zeke's plan, that would be a legit twist at this point. I am, however, now convinced Eren (and everything he's done up til now post-timeskip) is going to be presented as ultimately justified and a misunderstood hero, no matter what his actual plan turns out to be.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm on board with whichever plan leads to more cool titan fights in future chapters.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

I thought it was weird that he was looking into the light at something.

Further on this note, I think it's significant Ymir saw 1 path, and Zeke saw 3. When Ymir ate Marcel, the Founder titan was Frieda who controlled 1 soul. Zeke might be seeing 3 because Eren is the Founder, as well as Attack and Warhammer. I wonder what Eren saw when he consumed Warhammer.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Eren is going to consume all the titans then encase himself in crystal forever. Thus solving that whole pesky titan situation without having to genocide anybody

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dias posted:

I think the Mangastream translations don't help much in that regard. I'm also quite confused.

Yeah, sometimes I need to read the dialogue several times and still end up confused

Whats the best translation available? Im thinking of rereading everything starting from the basement discovery

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Those are some goods points - my thoughts about Zeke not wanting to touch are that there are a couple possible explanations - for one it seems that when a shifter touches someone of royal blood they derp out for a bit and momentarily lose control of themselves as memories flood in. Perhaps Zeke is so paranoid about Marley surveillance that he believes that it would arouse suspicion if he were to touch someone and then they both have a derp session doing so. Another explanation could be that there are memories Zeke doesn't want Eren to see as they could sway him away from his plan.

As to why they don't just sterilize everyone right then and there, I think that one is more straightforward - Zeke's plan will only succeed if Eldians retain control of the founding titan after they sterilize everyone. If Zeke just turns into the Beast titan in the middle of Liberio without an escape plan then he and Eren will both be eventually apprehended and fed to other Marleyan slaves where all their hard work would eventually be undone.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mountaineer posted:

It does seem now that Eren is on board with Zeke's auto-genocide plan. I was really hoping that wasn't the case. I still think it's possible he has his own agenda and agreed just to manipulate Zeke, but I admit that's just grasping at straws. If he really is a willing participant in this plan then Eren needs to explicitly become the villain, or the haters may be right that the series is promoting genocide. I just can't reconcile this right now, either outcome is terribly inconsistent with the story's themes and Eren's character.

He has his own agenda and agreed in order to manipulate Zeke.

We know this, because the last three chapters have focused on how Zeke isn't some inscrutable villainous mastermind - he's driven and clever, yes, and has carefully laid down plans and webs of lies over many years to the end of accomplishing his goals, but he's still just a man with very human motivations, flaws, and limits. Case in point, he was overjoyed to the point of tears when Eren seemed to agree with his agenda, and for all his preparation, it was only through sheer desperation and literal divine intervention that he survived his attempt to escape Levi. So we've answered the question on whether he was manipulating Eren, while establishing that he has his own strings close to his heart that can be pulled.

And on the other hand, Eren doesn't and has never cared about the Eldian race. What Eren cares about are his friends, who are alive right now - and the sterilization plan does absolutely nothing for them. Zeke's approach is to free the world of suffering, but what Eren cares about is for people to have the freedom to forge their own path. As you yourself said, promoting euthanasia for Paradis is entirely inconsistent with the story's themes and Eren's character in particular, which should be sign enough that's not where things are heading.

Think about it. Eren is ultimately the controller of the Founding Titan's power. If he fully embraced Zeke's plan, then putting it into execution would've been trivial - let him be devoured by Historia, then euthanize the Eldian race. But he didn't do that, because he wants to protect her. He wants to spare her, and her unborn child, from the influence of the power of the titans.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Probably, afterall Eren used the coordinate ability the first time while human.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A lot of y'all seem to be figuring that they'll be some kind of big twist coming up, but I don't really know.

AoT doesn't quite seem like the kind of manga that'd have a big twist.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Schwarzwald posted:

A lot of y'all seem to be figuring that they'll be some kind of big twist coming up, but I don't really know.

AoT never had big twists before, that's true.

:v:

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Conspiratiorist posted:

And on the other hand, Eren doesn't and has never cared about the Eldian race. What Eren cares about are his friends, who are alive right now - and the sterilization plan does absolutely nothing for them. Zeke's approach is to free the world of suffering, but what Eren cares about is for people to have the freedom to forge their own path. As you yourself said, promoting euthanasia for Paradis is entirely inconsistent with the story's themes and Eren's character in particular, which should be sign enough that's not where things are heading.

That's what makes Eren so terrifying: he's willing to burn the entire rest of the world to keep those closest to him safe, regardless of their own thoughts on the matter. Quite possibly literally. And now he finally has the power to do it after years of seeking it, and he won't let anyone convince him otherwise now, especially not his ungrateful friends.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

gently caress off

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Schwarzwald posted:

We're in the twist.

:getin:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I think we can all see the path forward here. Zeke’s ideals do not match what Eren values, he is being played because he is projecting his feelings onto Eren.

So now it’s a question of what does Eren think will save the Eldia race and what will finally free them. Is he going to make it so they can’t turn into titans, is he going to use the colossal titans to destroy the military force heading towards them and take over the world with his new Eldian empire.

But there is no way in hell he goes along with Zeke’s plan, its against everything he stands for and fights for.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eustace posted:

Eren is going to consume all the titans then encase himself in crystal forever. Thus solving that whole pesky titan situation without having to genocide anybody

The ultimate titan power will be literal time travel and he'll undo the entire fuckery when he eats them all

Actually, it wont be him, it'll be Historia when he lets her eat him

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arn't all eldians titans? It's just some how the power to transform and like any other race of people can't be turned into a titan. All eldians can change into a titan most of the time they will just be a mindless thing but they can all/be changed into titans.

Asuron posted:

I think we can all see the path forward here. Zeke’s ideals do not match what Eren values, he is being played because he is projecting his feelings onto Eren.

So now it’s a question of what does Eren think will save the Eldia race and what will finally free them. Is he going to make it so they can’t turn into titans, is he going to use the colossal titans to destroy the military force heading towards them and take over the world with his new Eldian empire.

But there is no way in hell he goes along with Zeke’s plan, its against everything he stands for and fights for.

You can also look at the last panel and know it doesn't fit.

Some one is holding a baby soooo, wait! It also could be a titan holding a person, hrmmmmm.
Also the words are "you are free".

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 8, 2019

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Tenzarin posted:

Some one is holding a baby soooo, wait! It also could be a titan holding a person, hrmmmmm.
Also the words are "you are free".

Doesn't mean anything, Historia is currently pregnant after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
This chapter definitely is trying to play up the audience doubts about Eren, with all the "born into this world" discussion. He's used that exact phrasing himself more than once, and I recall his mom also said it about him as a baby when she was responding to Keith.

I've always found it to be a bit incomplete as a reasoning. Yes, everyone is born into this world, go on???

So the idea that the words have maybe always had this meaning about not wanting to be born at the core, just not clearly expressed.. because when the world you're born into is so bleak, it's all just a sick twisted nightmare to exist?

Eren is just mad he was born, I'm sure some people are gonna love this poo poo.