Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Not sure how much I trust this person.

quote:

It's not Elon's m.o. to lie outright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I suspect we'll see automated semi rigs on freeways in our lifetime; better and more consistent roads, less variables, consistent traffic flows, limited decision making on well-documented and maintained roads, much lower risk of encountering pedestrians. Even with some number of failures it will probably be a wash or better than human drivers with the risk of falling asleep or messing up. Hopefully what ends up happening are dedicated off-ramps (instead of them trying to navigate city streets) for them are made in to large metro shipping districts for offload and local distribution but I still think we could do better with trains if we had a government that wasn't dogshit.

actually we are all gonna eat poo poo in the ecological crises of the next few decades, op

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rockopolis posted:

A)It's a fake, the nipples aren't pointy enough.
B)Does this count as lying over an official Tesla communication channel?

the rock had a boob job a while ago

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

fart simpson posted:

actually we are all gonna eat poo poo in the ecological crises of the next few decades, op

centuries

the ecological crises of the next few centuries

the heat is already here. the effects are not going to like, plateau and then get simpler. the water is going to keep rising for centuries to come based on what has already occurred.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jimmy Carter posted:

self-driving cars are a symptom of our horrible urban design, not a solution.

lol no they aren't

firstly, self-driving cars don't exist

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fishmech posted:

lol no they aren't

firstly, self-driving cars don't exist

we just went over this, we know

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

centuries

the ecological crises of the next few centuries

the heat is already here. the effects are not going to like, plateau and then get simpler. the water is going to keep rising for centuries to come based on what has already occurred.

:cool:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you and i aren’t gonna live to see more than a few decades of it though

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i wonder if there's any way to get an explanation or basis for why that az sherrif's office determined there's no criminal liability for the ped they slaughtered. very clearly the software was inadequate. what chain of reasoning would lead you to their conclusion and why wouldn't it be open to examination?

it was a homeless person, op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as we have discussed several times the one and only reason to do over the road trucking is ease of pickup and delivery

an automated system that can’t navigate complex docking situations or handle lift gates at either end is just a really bad and expensive train.

it’s comceivable that truckers would buy such a system to make life on the road easier but it will not reduce the cost of freight one dollar

my whistleblower friend says that their motivation is entirely about safety

but yeah in practice i'd imagine that such a """"highway safe"""" system would simply be used to drive down wages while still requiring a (vigilant) driver in the cab

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there should be a law that the president cannot get your name wrong, whatever he calls you becomes your name

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Gazpacho posted:

there should be a law that the president cannot get your name wrong, whatever he calls you becomes your name

reminder about Turd Blossom.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Sagebrush posted:

oh and someone in the ev thread made a bunch of dicksucking posts a few months ago about how teslas are the best cars ever in the winter because of electric traction control and low cg and such, and how all these things about the trunk lid dumping snow into the trunk or the door handles freezing closed or the windows having to be popped open whenever it's below freezing are just FUD and normal on any car

well today they posted that they slid their model 3 into a stop sign and need a new bumper because of ~black ice~

link please

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

hm, no

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i wonder if there's any way to get an explanation or basis for why that az sherrif's office determined there's no criminal liability for the ped they slaughtered. very clearly the software was inadequate. what chain of reasoning would lead you to their conclusion and why wouldn't it be open to examination?

because it'd be complicated as gently caress to prove that in court and they don't want to spend enormous amounts of money on expert witnesses on a manslaughter case they're probably going to lose because the jury was too confused

all this means is that they couldn't get someone inside uber to go on the record saying that he coded it to murder people or some such.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

hobbesmaster posted:

because it'd be complicated as gently caress to prove that in court and they don't want to spend enormous amounts of money on expert witnesses on a manslaughter case they're probably going to lose because the jury was too confused

all this means is that they couldn't get someone inside uber to go on the record saying that he coded it to murder people or some such.

I assume it’s some contractor loophole but the driver was watching tv on his/her phone right? if you act criminally negligent while at work isn’t the company supposed to be on the hook? in terms of payouts and whatnot at least

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't see that that matters a whole lot, the (single, poorly trained and monitored) safety driver setup seems a very flimsy safety net if one assumes that the actual self-driving isn't safe in itself (and indeed i think that is the correct conclusion)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

no amount of sensors are sufficient. the technology does not exist to do this work with the necessary accuracy to not get people killed. these things should not be on public roads and that point should be decades from now. the neural networks they are using to process the sensor data are nondeterministic dogshit and have no business driving cars.

but enough about human drivers

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

(if Jobs hadn’t tried to collect too much rent on ieee 1394 aka FireWire we might have had native internal FireWire HDDs and other devices with standardized hot plug bay form factors in the late 1990s and early oughts)
lmao at this timeline jobs wasn't even back at Apple til 1997/8, at least 2 years after 1394 went to the ieee as a final spec

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i could imagine a hybrid solution with the self driving trucks that mostly handle straight highways thru the middle of the country, with a human driver as a backup, but operating remotely from a computer where he monitors multiple trucks at once

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

in the US, a person getting run over by a car rarely results in any criminal charge. welp that's my explanation

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
christ how are they not even getting charged

gently caress human life, just disable all the limiters and let the ai sort them out

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
it may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get rich on vc cash, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

suffix posted:

gently caress human life, just disable all the limiters and let the ai sort them out

that's weird, the AI seems to prefer killing minorities and poor people because it never saw them in the training set of "human being (do not kill)" so it assumes they're hostile space aliens, oh well i suppose it knows what it's doing, it's an algorithm after all it can't be racist

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i could imagine a hybrid solution with the self driving trucks that mostly handle straight highways thru the middle of the country, with a human driver as a backup, but operating remotely from a computer where he monitors multiple trucks at once

who's paying for the connectivity, ensuring it stays up, and how are you handling all the compounding lag

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

suffix posted:

in america, car murders are a special category of murders that don't really count.

there's really nothing more to it than that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

my grandma died because a semi truck was doing an illegal u-turn on the interstate with his lights off while it was still dark out and my grandpa slammed into them at full speed

the driver got a ticket for doing an illegal u-turn

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
one of bikesnobnyc's recurring blog bits was recent new of drivers in the NYC area plowing through pedestrians/cyclists and them never facing any consequences

sidewalks, bike lanes, greenways -- nothing would protect them

he had pretty regular content from this

he also had a post where he had captured a car with diplomatic plates driving across a pedestrian bridge to avoid regular bridge traffic; i wish I could find that one again

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shame Boy posted:

my grandma died because a semi truck was doing an illegal u-turn on the interstate with his lights off while it was still dark out and my grandpa slammed into them at full speed

Why are our police forces worthless

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maybe if cops didn't spend their whole day in cars they'd identify more with pedestrians

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

Why are our police forces worthless

because following up on that type of crime isn't their job

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

suffix posted:

it may kill a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people get rich on vc cash, so, it;s Good

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lancemantis posted:

because following up on that type of crime isn't their job

what is c&r

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

this is a bad christmas jingle

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shame Boy posted:

seems like your grandpa should have got a ticket too for having tesla-level vision

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

lancemantis posted:

he also had a post where he had captured a car with diplomatic plates driving across a pedestrian bridge to avoid regular bridge traffic; i wish I could find that one again

I thought shaggar was from Maine?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

fishmech posted:

seems like your grandpa should have got a ticket too for having tesla-level vision

dude wtf

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

DELETE CASCADE posted:

maybe if cops didn't spend their whole day in cars they'd identify more with pedestrians

Okay, fine, we’ll let them ride around on horses.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ADINSX posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ADINSX posted: