Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
This is called an "argument from consequence" and it's one o'the big ol' logical fallacies that nobody pretending to be a "U" (see how "University" is implied but never stated) should be making the cornerstone of their case for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

MrUnderbridge posted:

So the guy in the middle will outlast Hitler, because he was in the middle of the whole good/evil spectrum?

Prager might actually be a worse person than Hitler so I'm assuming this is a bell curve kinda thing

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

What's wrong with this one?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

It's true but intentionally useless

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Aleph Null posted:

That's a normal distribution, the height is a measure of of the likelihood of finding data at that value. The area between two vertical lines is the probability that a random sample will be within that range, The area between two vertical lines is essentially meaningless.

It's like cutting a square out of pie chart then making a chart of how much area of square each color on the pie chart takes up. Its accurate, but it doesn't tell you anything.

Vorpal Cat has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Mar 7, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Aleph Null posted:

It's a jokular version of this normal distribution graph:

As this graph shows, for a proper normal distribution, 68% of the sample population falls within one standard deviation of the average, 95% within 2 standard deviations, and over 99% within 3 standard deviations.
In other words, the majority of a population will be relatively close to the average.

In the xkcd graph, they marked some area that's 50% of the graph but they took a horizontal slice. It's a completely meaningless division of the graph. I spent 20 seconds of my life trying to think of a way to interpret the xkcd graph but I didn't come up with anything whatsoever, so I think it's impossible.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I don't know who this Prager guy is, but he needs to keep his U away from me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Chitin posted:

This is called an "argument from consequence" and it's one o'the big ol' logical fallacies that nobody pretending to be a "U" (see how "University" is implied but never stated) should be making the cornerstone of their case for anything.

It's a common argument super religious folks, evangelicals especially, tend to use to get you to believe. It's also a common argument against nihilism. If this is all there is and the only thing we have is a tiny amount of time as a speck of dust in an empty, uncaring universe then that would be terrible so obviously it must be false. Existential dread is of course A Thing and it's a way of dealing with that. It's related to the argument that you don't really lose anything by believing and if you're wrong then it's eternal damnation so just like believe just in case, you know?

Except that you can use that to justify literally every religion. The idea that cosmic justice doesn't exist and the world isn't fair at all just doesn't read well.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't know who this Prager guy is, but he needs to keep his U away from me.

He's publicly endorsed marital rape, if that helps at all.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

That's kinda almost not terrible because they already picked out the top 25 so the reader doesn't need to compare the graphs to each other. Imagine if there were a hundred, unsorted. Still, it's clearly not the best visualization...

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Hmm, yes, this well-known thing we can all 100% agree on, "pleasant weather"

I can't even agree on the temperature setting in my home with my family

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

tag yourself: I'm "hot & elements"

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ElGroucho posted:

20c / 68f

If you're cold put a sweater on

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it doesnt

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ElGroucho posted:

There's always the simple metric of "fewest sunny days," which my proud city wins handily every year. [crying yinzer emoticon]

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like to think "elements" just means it rains loving boron or iodine or some poo poo. Walk out the door in the morning, it's 500° and there's a soft yttrium shower

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Phy posted:

I like to think "elements" just means it rains loving boron or iodine or some poo poo. Walk out the door in the morning, it's 500° and there's a soft yttrium shower

Look out for the days when it rains caesium.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moist von Lipwig posted:

No wonder he opposes gay marriage.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I'm well-known metropolitan area sville/Jefferson County, K

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

no ring

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i count 25 :confused:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah that’s the problem, there should only be two!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Proud to have my homeland, my college region and my current city all represented here. I am powerfully midwestern.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Henchman of Santa posted:

Proud to have my homeland, my college region and my current city all represented here. I am powerfully midwestern.

Lol at there being no Texas cities on there. I’ll take canadian winter over that poo poo any day.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

20c / 68f

If you're cold put a sweater on

If I had that set in Austin, my electric bill would be through the roof. 76 degrees. If you're hot, turn on the fan and take off some clothes.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I think Nelly wrote a song about that.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

ElGroucho posted:

If I had that set in Austin, my electric bill would be through the roof. 76 degrees. If you're hot, turn on the fan and take off some clothes.

Listen, if you want to break international standards that's your call but don't come crying to me when the Swiss are knocking down your door

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Listen, if you want to break international standards that's your call but don't come crying to me when the Swiss are knocking down your door

Oh no, not the, uh, Swiss

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ElGroucho posted:

Oh no, not the, uh, Swiss

Dude the Swiss guard are fierce

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Krankenstyle posted:

Dude the Swiss guard are fierce

Luckily, I'm not the Anti-Pope

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Before neutrality became their official policy they fought in every European war and on both sides, so I wouldn't underestimate them

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

tag yourself: I'm "hot & elements"

I'm over 1,000,000 people.

...gently caress I need to go on a diet.

I kind of feel like that chart needs a joke (well, for some cities a serious) entry where it's just one solid color that doesn't appear on the other charts. Like the whole ring would be yellow and it would just be "is that city." It just sucks there every single day no matter what the weather feels like doing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My great great uncle was actually killed by a halberd

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Halberds don't kill people. People do.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My great great uncle was actually killed by a halberd

The only thing that can stop a bad halberd is a good halberd.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dave Grool posted:

Goth Hospital sounds like a CW show

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm over 1,000,000 people.

...gently caress I need to go on a diet.

I kind of feel like that chart needs a joke (well, for some cities a serious) entry where it's just one solid color that doesn't appear on the other charts. Like the whole ring would be yellow and it would just be "is that city." It just sucks there every single day no matter what the weather feels like doing.

so...Cleveland

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The colour makes this bad enough on its own but what makes it truly special is the apparent category of things which are neither "at an intersection" or "not at an intersection". I'm just trying to work out some logical construction where that could be a thing and can't come up with anything.