Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Best option is clearly gunning the accelerator as soon as you can't see anything past the hood of your car.

Haha, loving classic. If I were him, I'd roll with it and insist I was getting a necessary medical treatment. He has that "caught loving the neighbor's cat" look on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm just back from a snowboarding trip in Mt Vogel in Slovenia (don't go there btw, although Slovenia itself is lovely!) and figured it's about time to upgrade from my bottom-of-the-line Trespass/TK Maxx clothing to something maybe a little better.

Here's the outfit I'm thinking of, but just looking for general advice on if I'm picking the right stuff to not totally break the bank but still have something halfway decent.
Jacket: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Burton_Covert_SnowboardSki_Jacket_S_Bog_Heather-(189147) or https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Burton_Covert_Shell_SnowboardSki_Jacket_S_Bog-(210105)
Trousers: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/DC_Banshee_SkiSnowboard_Pants_S_Golden_Red-(208924) or https://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Burton-Covert-Snow-Pants-18-19-37523.html
Helmet: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Anon_Rodan_SkiSnowboard_Helmet_S_Orange-(163476)
Gloves: https://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Dakine_Leather_Titan_Gore_Tex_SnowboardSki_Gloves_S_Carbon-(141946)

When I hit up Banff again in 2021 I'll be getting new boots. Currently have 2012 Salomon Synapse boots that I lucked out on eBay for my first trip in 2015 - they were apparently only worn once before the seller decided to sell them on a while later. They're still comfy enough but I figure something actually moulded to my feet might be good.

Also, anyone got experience with in-helmet audio stuff? I usually don't put any music on, but sometimes if a run is empty or I'm bored on a ski lift I like a little bit of background sound through my headphones.

As you're in the UK I'd recommend looking on Sportpursuit, high quality kit is generally 40-50% off there. Getting some Arcteryx stuff or whatever will last you for years.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

He has that "caught loving the neighbor's cat" look on his face.

I was unaware this was a standardized look. :tmyk:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

knox_harrington posted:

As you're in the UK I'd recommend looking on Sportpursuit, high quality kit is generally 40-50% off there. Getting some Arcteryx stuff or whatever will last you for years.
Cheers! Checked them out and the prices seem decent. Ended up getting the gloves and jacket from other sites (cheaper jacket elsewhere and gloves sold out on the place I linked) but since I have a long time between now and my next trip, I'll check out Sportpursuit every so often for the other items.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Oh come on, everyone's been caught once or twice

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Question Mark Mound posted:

Cheers! Checked them out and the prices seem decent. Ended up getting the gloves and jacket from other sites (cheaper jacket elsewhere and gloves sold out on the place I linked) but since I have a long time between now and my next trip, I'll check out Sportpursuit every so often for the other items.

Setups are best built over time, and duct-taped in time after that. Good call. Plenty of summer discounts to be had in a few months.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

You haven't lived, friend.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Took the cochises out on a 2ft powder day yesterday. Legs are completely shot. I feel like being able to drive those skis requires a lot more than putting them on like four times a season. But they crushed it and I’m definitely getting better at maneuvering those things in chop.

Then took the snowboard out today and got fresh tracks down dihedral face which was thigh deep amazingness.

Also had the privilege of hearing some lady with an epic pass bitch at the liftie because our passes aren’t RFID and she had to *gasp* pull it out of her pocket.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 6, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What the gently caress the RFID epic passes are poo poo anyway and all that happens is you end up with people holding up the chair because they can't figure out what side to put their pass/the pass scanners aren't working right/some combination of the two.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

What the gently caress the RFID epic passes are poo poo anyway and all that happens is you end up with people holding up the chair because they can't figure out what side to put their pass/the pass scanners aren't working right/some combination of the two.

Its weird, I have trouble at a lot of IKON places, but I've never had an issue at EPIC places. Same jacket and everything

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

hahaha https://www.instagram.com/p/Bun4eTkB0hw/

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
While I can agree that there are idiots who can't seem to figure out how to put there RFID card in an empty pocket and definitely not next to a cellphone, I'm pretty happy Sugarbush switched over and feel like the overall experience is smoother.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Its weird, I have trouble at a lot of IKON places, but I've never had an issue at EPIC places. Same jacket and everything

It actually could very well be a Whistler thing, we had RFID passes the year before switching to Epic too and they sucked then also so maybe it's that the machines here are poo poo. They take the gates out except on the valley level lifts on weekends now because it's such a gently caress up.

If I'm training and wearing my a vest, a puffy or a light jacket, where I keep my pass in the left hand pocket with literally nothing else on my entire left side I have to pick up the side of the jacket and press it against the scanner for it to register.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

$400 for just a basin. Yikes. Looks like epic local it is again.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:lol:

spwrozek posted:

$400 for just a basin. Yikes. Looks like epic local it is again.

That seems in line with comparable mountains. Sucks that they don’t have partner mountain discounts yet, but you figure Loveland is $450, as is Winter Park.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

:lol:

That seems in line with comparable mountains. Sucks that they don’t have partner mountain discounts yet, but you figure Loveland is $450, as is Winter Park.

Fair. Although for the price winter park is the best deal for sure.

I was considering Copper + A Basin but that would be $950 with no other perks for travel.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I would spend whatever on an A-basin pass. It's the best one anyways

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Copper 4 pack plus a double down got me 8 days for $419

Then they gave us a bunch of free ones. Copper rules. They're customer service is great, I think it's cuz they are still largely independent from Vail?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m still pissed at Copper for their inability to get the lifts going properly on a 2’ day.

Meanwhile, outside peaceful Berthoud Falls…

https://twitter.com/COAvalancheInfo/status/1103037602624606209

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KoRMaK posted:

Copper 4 pack plus a double down got me 8 days for $419

Then they gave us a bunch of free ones. Copper rules. They're customer service is great, I think it's cuz they are still largely independent from Vail?

They are part of the equally big KSL.

I usually get 30-40 resort days a year fwiw.

RC Cola posted:

I would spend whatever on an A-basin pass. It's the best one anyways

I mean in a good snow year it is good. East wall is fun. Years where zuma doesn't open are rough. When it is bad weather out it is a hard mountain to ride, jointly with Keystone resolved that (keystone is a great storm skiing mountain with the slightly lower elevation). I have to take 2 buses! or drive to A Basin (with a transfer at keystone...).

Honestly I ski A basin only in the spring. I figure a few beach days are easy to just buy a day pass ahead of time if needed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s time to get loud

Full length crotch zippers are extremely my poo poo

I’ve just found a matching jacket for this and now i am fully leaning into being a highlighter

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

I’ve just found a matching jacket for this and now i am fully leaning into being a highlighter

If you go full yellow man you need some kind of comedy hat like https://vimeo.com/319218176#t=57s

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

If you're ever up in Whistler wearing that I'll come skiing with you in my purple monster outfit (purple pants and puffy)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I cannot imagine the chaos in the KT-22 lift line these days on a weekend powder day if squaw didn't have RFID season passes
They've had that for at least 10 years I think? And other resorts are just getting on that now, and failing? Come on. It's not like having to take your pass out is some great burden, but it is sure as poo poo unnecessary.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Going up to Squaw this weekend

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Man the avalanche danger in Colorado is insane right now.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Apparently there was another slide next to the Conoco at Copper. Broke a gas main and closed 91.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
God drat what is going on over there, I was just at WPK and poo poo was blue bird :OO

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Razzled posted:

God drat what is going on over there, I was just at WPK and poo poo was blue bird :OO

Yeah, it was fantastic when I was there last week. And then apparently all hell broke loose.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Razzled posted:

3-4' of snow last weekend, 12-18" last night. More coming. Heavy and wet snow. I70 was covered again in 10 mile canyon from a natural slide.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Peak 1 in Frisco slid, took down a ton of trees. Looks like a nice groomer at this point.

A Basin closed all day, same with upper mountain at Breck.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Holy poo poo, if you'd shown me that with no context I would have thought that was a groomed run :stare:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
meanwhile the canadian rockies haven't had snow in a month...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Hey, if we have a 4wd car and it says to carry chains, should we have enough for 2 wheels or all 4?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey, if we have a 4wd car and it says to carry chains, should we have enough for 2 wheels or all 4?

All 4

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

You should make sure you read the law closely. A lot of States you get an out with snow tires and AWD/4WD. Buy 4 if you have to though. Also make sure you can actually put them on your car. You can't install them on a Subaru Impreza for example.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I-70 is closed from 40 to Vail. I haven't seen that before.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Yes, putting chains on a Subaru is a good way to grenade your center diff and transmission. You should buy snow tires instead. You can get away with low profile chains on the front for very short distances at very slow speeds over low traction conditions, but anything else will eat up the center diff, and oftentimes take the transmission with it.

If you do have a 4WD vehicle and one pair of chains, your best bet is to put them on your front tires. Putting them front and rear is probably overkill, but read your area's vehicle code.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2019

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One of my daughters missed out on regionals by just one spot, but I'm still super proud of her. She fell on her last slalom run of the season. If she hadn't, she would have made it but I prefer she push herself like that and fall rather than play it safe. She was able to walk back to make the gate but it killed her time. They were invited instead to a invitational development camp as the next tier down. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Yes, putting chains on a Subaru is a good way to grenade your center diff and transmission. You should buy snow tires instead. You can get away with low profile chains on the front for very short distances at very slow speeds over low traction conditions, but anything else will eat up the center diff, and oftentimes take the transmission with it.

do you have any more info on this? seems like chains/cables on the front only would be a way worse decision.