Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you decide which parts of the company we can we downgrade to a lower license?

Sickening: I don't know what every person in the company needs to do their job. The operations teams should be able to tell you who doesn't use microsoft office or needs access to email. I should not be defining who in the company can have licenses, that is their own leadership.

Purchasing vp in Finance: Hey Ops, can you tell us what we need?

Ops: We need everything we currently have.

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you ......

Sickening: Who is initiating this cost savings initiative? Didn't ops tell you no? Is this mandated by the c suite?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Its a finance driven imitative.

Sickening: Well Ops tells me what they need and I decide how technology can give it to them. Besides, if I figure out which employees can get a reduced license and implement that change, wouldn't it be my imitative?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Not if I ask you to do it.

Sickening: I wish I could help you. Either come back to me with a list from ops on who can be reduced or I am not able to do anything.

Purchasing vp in Finance: I will get back with you at a later date.

:majorminor:

If they ask again, just tell them the finance department can be downgraded to a license type that does not include email. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I assisted a user in initiating a name change request today since she got married and wants her e-mail to reflect her new name. This is what I got back from the accounts team:

quote:

As policy, we typically do not offer a change in username unless there is an extreme circumstance, such as bitter divorce, custody battle, etc. When we do entertain the possibility of a change, we cannot proceed unless we have the approval of our Security department.

Are you loving kidding me?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Vargatron posted:

I assisted a user in initiating a name change request today since she got married and wants her e-mail to reflect her new name. This is what I got back from the accounts team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlbrL1H1ngs&t=46s

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vargatron posted:

That’s asinine and lazy.

Marriage is specifically called out as a reason to change records from HR to computer accounts in our handbook. Hell, we’ll even add email aliases for people who go by a nickname or use their middle name.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
So I was doing a subnet scan on a /16 on one of our networks that has a little end to end MPLS between them and one other site, and started getting replies from some subnets we definitely aren't using.. Did a traceroute and saw that it was going over the providers public network... Ended up logging into a switch for some car dealership with default credentials.

We opened up a ticket with this carrier to ask them wtf is going on and the tech started making GBS threads his pants, 'uhh its been like this for over 7 weeks as far as i can tell'. Lol this one customer of theirs is having their poo poo advertised to every single other customer they have, and at least one of their network devices uses default creds!

I wonder if the provider's gonna notify that customer because good lord.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

Gonna be cool when you deadname a trans employee and they sue you

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got a promotion and a near 10% raise at my annual review today. :yotj:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, I am not qualified for the $80k WFH job I spoke to the recruiter/department head about, but he sent me one with another company that he's recruiting for (they have a consultancy department and a recruiting department) that I would be a perfect fit for. Still $70k per year and WFH. I'll push for a little bit more if I can, but I'd even take less than $70k. Not that I'm telling them that. Saving an hour per day in commute time and 50 miles per day in gas and wear and tear is a pretty big benefit by itself, as well as having my kitchen 30 seconds away so I don't have to buy lunch or go hungry when I forget to bring it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

devmd01 posted:

Got a promotion and a near 10% raise at my annual review today. :yotj:

Congratulations!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, I am not qualified for the $80k WFH job I spoke to the recruiter/department head about, but he sent me one with another company that he's recruiting for (they have a consultancy department and a recruiting department) that I would be a perfect fit for. Still $70k per year and WFH. I'll push for a little bit more if I can, but I'd even take less than $70k. Not that I'm telling them that. Saving an hour per day in commute time and 50 miles per day in gas and wear and tear is a pretty big benefit by itself, as well as having my kitchen 30 seconds away so I don't have to buy lunch or go hungry when I forget to bring it.

This is worth so much more than people realize.

Good luck!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

iirc that's still not a protected class

/e- although not being a dick is the right move regardless of whether it's to avoid a lawsuit

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m still mad that they took WFH from us because there is no company policy saying so. Really it’s because the help desk manager complained to the new director because he couldn’t WFH and us system admins can. It’s so dumb.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Sickening posted:

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you decide which parts of the company we can we downgrade to a lower license?

Sickening: I don't know what every person in the company needs to do their job. The operations teams should be able to tell you who doesn't use microsoft office or needs access to email. I should not be defining who in the company can have licenses, that is their own leadership.

Purchasing vp in Finance: Hey Ops, can you tell us what we need?

Ops: We need everything we currently have.

Purchasing vp in Finance: We see the opportunity to lower costs of licensing in office 365 by reducing the number of e3 licenses to k1. Sickening, can you ......

Sickening: Who is initiating this cost savings initiative? Didn't ops tell you no? Is this mandated by the c suite?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Its a finance driven imitative.

Sickening: Well Ops tells me what they need and I decide how technology can give it to them. Besides, if I figure out which employees can get a reduced license and implement that change, wouldn't it be my imitative?

Purchasing vp in Finance: Not if I ask you to do it.

Sickening: I wish I could help you. Either come back to me with a list from ops on who can be reduced or I am not able to do anything.

Purchasing vp in Finance: I will get back with you at a later date.

:majorminor:

Squeeze ops for downgrade candidates and present it as your own initiative

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Vargatron posted:

I hear in these parts that no email system permits changing/creating aliases without changing username too

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Proteus Jones posted:

This is worth so much more than people realize.

Good luck!

Yeah. Assuming even 25 cents car expenses per mile since my car is fuel-efficient, low maintenance, and 10 years old, that's $62.50 a week (I think), maybe a bit higher since I think it's actually 26 or 27 miles or something to my last job. Over 48 weeks per year (assuming 4 weeks for holidays, WFH for snow, and time off) that's $3k post-tax right there. Assuming I spend like $30 per month on lunch since i would just hit McDonalds for a couple McChickens usually that's another couple hundred saved even after considering the cost of eating at home. If I got actually good food it would be way more. And if I valued my time at $35/hr like the pay effectively is (which isn't fair since I can't get paid more for it) that would be another $8400.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

I know where they're coming from; a lot of apps that use single sign-on do not deal with name changes well, though that is the incorrect way to approach it. The correct way to approach it is "listen, we can do this, but it could break a lot of stuff. We're happy to change your display names and aliases and email addresses, so the name everyone sees will be your new name. We can try changing your user name, but it may very well break a lot of things." Windows handles it just fine, usually, it's the attached apps that are the issue.

It's lovely, and that is most definitely not the way to go about it, but I can see why they'd want to avoid it.

Vulture Culture posted:

Most places I've worked use last name/first initial, so this isn't an issue.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I know where they're coming from; a lot of apps that use single sign-on do not deal with name changes well, though that is the incorrect way to approach it. The correct way to approach it is "listen, we can do this, but it could break a lot of stuff. We're happy to change your display names and aliases and email addresses, so the name everyone sees will be your new name. We can try changing your user name, but it may very well break a lot of things." Windows handles it just fine, usually, it's the attached apps that are the issue.

It's lovely, and that is most definitely not the way to go about it, but I can see why they'd want to avoid it.

Why is that not an issue?

And in general , gently caress that, if your archaic legacy systems can't handle a username change, make them a brand new account. As someone in security, that's bs. If someone legally changes their name, you absolutely don't keep around their old name for a variety of reasons.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

give employees their employee ID as login name with aliases attached to it, to reinforce that they are in fact just a faceless numbered cog in an uncaring machine and to curtail messy account changes forever.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ugh I can still remember my YXY---- username.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah. Assuming even 25 cents car expenses per mile since my car is fuel-efficient, low maintenance, and 10 years old, that's $62.50 a week (I think), maybe a bit higher since I think it's actually 26 or 27 miles or something to my last job. Over 48 weeks per year (assuming 4 weeks for holidays, WFH for snow, and time off) that's $3k post-tax right there. Assuming I spend like $30 per month on lunch since i would just hit McDonalds for a couple McChickens usually that's another couple hundred saved even after considering the cost of eating at home. If I got actually good food it would be way more. And if I valued my time at $35/hr like the pay effectively is (which isn't fair since I can't get paid more for it) that would be another $8400.

Sent in a revised resume and the recruiter said it's exactly what he wanted to see. At first he said I should expand on what I did a lot because I was fitting 2 years of work into 3 bullet points so I kept it on one page. Now it's nearly two pages long but it covers pretty much everything I did and hits all of the desired qualifications they listed.

I know someone is going to say that if I have everything they want I'm overqualified, but I'm underqualified for the other positions in this field and it would still be a significant raise with the additional bonus of the WFH, when I'm currently unemployed.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

And in general , gently caress that, if your archaic legacy systems can't handle a username change, make them a brand new account. As someone in security, that's bs. If someone legally changes their name, you absolutely don't keep around their old name for a variety of reasons.
Yeah, I usually warn that if it breaks a lot of stuff, we may have to recreate the AD account.

I don't really see a username being different from the person's legal name being that big of a deal security-wise if it's not a big deal for the person. We let people use nicknames and preferred names in Skype and Email all the time.

Hell, we have some apps that break when you move the person's object in Active Directory. And these are not "archaic, legacy" apps. These are apps we bought within the last three years.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

This would have been the solution I would have proposed. Just generate a brand new user account and disable the old one. I would have been fine with "our LDAP programs may not handle this name change" but the whole "we can't do this unless it's an extreme circumstance" is just bullshit to me. This should have been an alias addition at the Exchange level.

Oh well, I communicated the issue up to a department level manager who made the appropriate calls. Funny how policies suddenly become flexible when a high level director gets involved.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Username change would gently caress me. I also don’t have my personal poo poo setup in ldap but yeah. It would hurt if I changed my username in Linux.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There’s a ton of software that uses the users name or initial email address as an anchor, key or in claims as the NameIdentifer.

This has been a terrible idea and changing it without breaking anything takes an astronomically amount of effort for little benefit.

Some of parts of SharePoint, OneDrive, AzureAD, etc. just started supporting that this year but given how they often plug into the other applications most admins will have no choice but to leave that disabled.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I knew someone that transitioned who changed the name she wanted to something so she could keep her login name.

She was originally going for let’s say Jessica but took a Brittany name to keep her b(last name) login

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

I knew someone that transitioned who changed the name she wanted to something so she could keep her login name.

She was originally going for let’s say Jessica but took a Brittany name to keep her b(last name) login

We live in a dystopia.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

iirc that's still not a protected class

/e- although not being a dick is the right move regardless of whether it's to avoid a lawsuit
It varies; California, for example, has the Gender Nondiscrimination Act, which establishes gender identity and gender expression protected categories. (To your point, South Carolina very much does not.)

Thanatosian posted:

I know a few trans people who have kept the same first initial following their transition, but this is not extremely common.

jaegerx posted:

Well, if my name was Robert Oot I'd want to keep that login name too

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Vulture Culture posted:

Well, if my name was Robert Oot I'd want to keep that login name too

ok ootobert

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Docjowles posted:

Are you comfortable just talking to the relevant people directly? Tell them point blank that you really wanted to be involved in this and ask why you weren't.

This probably the best way to approach it. Let’s see what’ll happen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tab8715 posted:

There’s a ton of software that uses the users name or initial email address as an anchor, key or in claims as the NameIdentifer.

This has been a terrible idea and changing it without breaking anything takes an astronomically amount of effort for little benefit.

Some of parts of SharePoint, OneDrive, AzureAD, etc. just started supporting that this year but given how they often plug into the other applications most admins will have no choice but to leave that disabled.

People need to stop using PII as primary keys and switch to GUIDs loving everywhere.

But that's just my opinion.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
For a company size of 70k our username standards are very laissez-faire. My login is my last name, friends is half his last name, coworker is first initial half last name, and our boss is first initial last name, a dash and random 3 digits :wtf:

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
If your software relies on someones username remaining constant for the duration of use, don't have your username format based on something that changes.

Or am I missing something

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

angry armadillo posted:

If your software relies on someones username remaining constant for the duration of use, don't have your username format based on something that changes.

Just the fact that humans often need to reference usernames and verbally at that, so GUIDS are great as a canonical reference but it doesnt solve the username/reuse issue it just moves the discussion to aliases, and software still binds to emails

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sepist posted:

For a company size of 70k our username standards are very laissez-faire. My login is my last name, friends is half his last name, coworker is first initial half last name, and our boss is first initial last name, a dash and random 3 digits :wtf:

IT Archaeology, dating user account age by the naming standards of the time.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

angry armadillo posted:

You aren’t. Employee numbers!

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

PCjr sidecar posted:

at my last job the 40 year old accounts are just 3 digits and a letter noting your department.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Ask Sarah Hitchcock how much she loves our scheme of first initial last name.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

PCjr sidecar posted:

Just cut the bits open and count the rings

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

PCjr sidecar posted:

I stand out at work because I did whole month on service desk over 15 years ago. Back then you got to pick your userID, so mine is my initials. A three-character ID stands out a bit among newer accounts..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We just switched to last six digits of employeeID for samaccountname for new accounts going forward. Good timing, as we just acquired a whole bunch more users that needed to be provisioned.