Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I didn't like the show too much. I found each episode somewhat repetitive with little exposition into what was causing the main mystical situation. I think it could use some editing out of the couples dying and reliving similar situations with no difference in the end results. I only needed 1-2 episodes of that to get the point. The end episode seemed to indicate that while previously the two were in the same universe, suddenly they were moved to separate parallel universes that then merged into 1 after their death situations were resolved, but with no explanation. I also didn't see any explanation why certain elements were removed all of a sudden (e.g. fish missing). Did I miss some exposition in my drunkenness or is this just kind of a mystery sort of show with a lot more seasons expected to explain what the hell is going on?

The acting was good though, and I liked the comedic elements. I can't decide if I liked the lead actress or found her annoying. I guess maybe that's the point, considering her sardonic humor.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Shocked she wasn't wearing a wig

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Ornithology posted:

I didn't like the show too much. I found each episode somewhat repetitive with little exposition into what was causing the main mystical situation. I think it could use some editing out of the couples dying and reliving similar situations with no difference in the end results. I only needed 1-2 episodes of that to get the point. The end episode seemed to indicate that while previously the two were in the same universe, suddenly they were moved to separate parallel universes that then merged into 1 after their death situations were resolved, but with no explanation. I also didn't see any explanation why certain elements were removed all of a sudden (e.g. fish missing). Did I miss some exposition in my drunkenness or is this just kind of a mystery sort of show with a lot more seasons expected to explain what the hell is going on?

The acting was good though, and I liked the comedic elements. I can't decide if I liked the lead actress or found her annoying. I guess maybe that's the point, considering her sardonic humor.

Jesus Christ dude, the show is about developing compassion for yourself and others. It's not sci fi

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One question that bugs me: Alan says during his cathartic last talk with Bea that “I’m stuck with a body that is broken, in a world that is literally falling apart, and a mind that wants to kill me.” What does he mean by the broken body part? Does he have something physically wrong as well as his mental issues?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He looked perfectly fine to me. :swoon:

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Gaunab posted:

I'm sure he could be seen as interesting but his self acknowledgement of his shittiness is such an obvious dodge and he's so obviously shallow that it made me roll my eyes whenever the show showed his bullshitting working so much. It was probably to show how he picked up emotionally vulnerable women or something but like I said it was too much for me.

He's not interesting! He's a hole, an excuse. But Nadia is no great shakes either, and Allan has been on the verge of total meltdown, apparently, his entire life. What's interesting is that this garbagefire of absence can recognize that, and Nadia and Allan's journeys are to get to that same point where they can start to do the work of getting better that he's just totally written off.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Is there any hope of a second season? I dunno what the premise would be and every show doesn’t need to go on forever, but I love the characters. And Natasha Lyonne being sardonic and doing drugs can carry quite a bit.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is there any hope of a second season? I dunno what the premise would be and every show doesn’t need to go on forever, but I love the characters. And Natasha Lyonne being sardonic and doing drugs can carry quite a bit.

It sounds like they've planned three seasons.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It sounds like they've planned three seasons.
Based on what? The show seems completely self-contained. What story is left to tell?

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

pwn posted:

Based on what? The show seems completely self-contained. What story is left to tell?

No idea, but that's what they pitched to Netflix. We'll see if they find a way to continue the story.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

pwn posted:

Based on interviews with Natasha Lyonne.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The only thing I can see continuing is a totally different story each season, a la True Detective or Fargo.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Easily the best TV of 2019 so far.

Totally agree. I just binged this whole thing and I only wish there were more. Yeah, it ended well, but holy poo poo was that a good show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

pwn posted:

I hope they create three inter-related seasons.

My personal theory as to what happened can scale: Horse's perspective that, "life is a nightmare," felt like a thematic hint. The horror entity Nadia was seeing? My assumption is that it's some kind of cosmic entity which when it saw humanity was like ugh holy poo poo then decided to help. Maybe there's a bigger plan? And we'll go from Groundhog Day meets NYC to Guardian Angel but it's all Lovecraftian and freaky.

This would rule and be hilarious.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 7, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think Alan was 1000% originally intended to be played by Rami Malek and I'm sad he wasn't

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

precision posted:

I think Alan was 1000% originally intended to be played by Rami Malek and I'm sad he wasn't

I can't imagine Malek in the role, I think Barnett did a great job.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Accretionist posted:

The horror entity Nadia was seeing?

The little freaky past her?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

precision posted:

I mean Rami Malek kinda looks like the guy who was cast (forgot his name atm) so that might be influencing your opinion.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

The little freaky past her?

Yeup.

And I interpret the disappearances and early deaths as it funneling them toward specific objectives and courses.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

I mean Rami Malek kinda looks like the guy who was cast (forgot his name atm) so that might be influencing your opinion.

It's not just that Charlie Barnett looks like Rami Malek, he gives Alan the same sort of quiet anxiousness and precise physical movements that Malek does as Elliot Alderson. Lots of complex emotions expressed through his eyes. There were many times through the series that I made conscious or unconscious comparisons between the two.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

MikeJF posted:

One question that bugs me: Alan says during his cathartic last talk with Bea that “I’m stuck with a body that is broken, in a world that is literally falling apart, and a mind that wants to kill me.” What does he mean by the broken body part? Does he have something physically wrong as well as his mental issues?

At that point he’s died several times from just standing around, hasn’t he? I think only Nadia does it onscreen, but Alan definitely mentions it happening at least.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

Nitevision posted:

Jesus Christ dude, the show is about developing compassion for yourself and others. It's not sci fi

If that the main theme they took a very convoluted way to show it. Along with a mystical plot that is never explained. Not saying I disagree with you, it's probably just why I didn't enjoy the show.

I also didn't see that much example of character growth beyond trying to stop someone else from dying to stop an unexplained mystical loop. If you call that about developing compassion then ok.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 9, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally watched the last few episodes all at once last night and Jesus christ the quality amps up hard in the back half. The only thing I didn't think worked was how long she was fixated on the joint being the cause, and how that's the one thing that didn't come back at all later

Absolutely perfect otherwise. "I'm the hole where a choice should be" was an unexpectedly fantastic line

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

precision posted:

I finally watched the last few episodes all at once last night and Jesus christ the quality amps up hard in the back half. The only thing I didn't think worked was how long she was fixated on the joint being the cause, and how that's the one thing that didn't come back at all later

Absolutely perfect otherwise. "I'm the hole where a choice should be" was an unexpectedly fantastic line

I rewatched the first few eps - the reason she fixates on it so hard is because to her the alternative is mental illness, and so moving past the joint in that way it leads into all the stuff with her mother. So I didn't think it stuck out too bad.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

precision posted:

There were actually a lot of red herrings that didn't come back later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

precision posted:

I read an interview where Charlie Barnett mentioned that the role was written for him. It's also how he got cast in Netflix's upcoming Tales Of The City adaptation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This show was amazing no question.

One thing that made it amazing was A. The episode length and B. The season length. Those two things definitely rocketed this way up into amazing territory for me.

I’m honestly not sure if I could have taken an hour of this show especially when it gets deep. 30 min was perfect and more shows need to realize this.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Really enjoyed the show. It reminded me a lot of "Maniac" in a way.

I'm glad someone brought up Day Break, because I thought I was the only person who enjoyed that show (along with Journeyman). Pretty sure I have both series on an old HDD somewhere. And I have Day Break on DVD as I knew it would disappear forever at some point.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Really enjoyed the show. It reminded me a lot of "Maniac" in a way.

I'm glad someone brought up Day Break, because I thought I was the only person who enjoyed that show (along with Journeyman). Pretty sure I have both series on an old HDD somewhere. And I have Day Break on DVD as I knew it would disappear forever at some point.

I am just really happy that the last scene of Journeyman was so good. Many loose ends and unresolved plot lines, but man, that last scene gets me every time.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Season 2 confirmed! :toot:

https://twitter.com/russiandoll/status/1138566683025498113

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gently caress yes!

Definitely loving the sub 30 min format of these shows.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And they’re filming already judging by her hair.

https://twitter.com/nlyonne/status/1138569464608202752

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
I didn't understand the ending. Are we supposed to know what happened, why it happened or what their current state is now? Or is that up to interpretation/next season?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
gently caress yes.

I had Crimson and Clover stuck in my head for so long after season 1. Welcome back, friend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ornithology posted:

I didn't understand the ending. Are we supposed to know what happened, why it happened or what their current state is now? Or is that up to interpretation/next season?

As someone else in the thread posted I think the dude broke free from the loop but she’s still trapped.

Who knows though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

After about half way into the season I was fairly certain a second season would have to follow a different person or persons. Was more sure at the end. Are we sure they are keeping any of the cast?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pixaal posted:

After about half way into the season I was fairly certain a second season would have to follow a different person or persons. Was more sure at the end. Are we sure they are keeping any of the cast?

They are definitely keeping her.

I don’t have any doubts about that. She’s real messed up and she got better but I still don’t think she’s “fixed”.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MarcusSA posted:

They are definitely keeping her.

I don’t have any doubts about that. She’s real messed up and she got better but I still don’t think she’s “fixed”.

So same thing again?

Not sure how I feel about that. Was imagining it as different group each season slowly hinting and revealing the cause.

I'll still watch it was a really good show and I have confidence in the writers to make season 2 just as a good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

iirc early on they said something about the next season possibly following new characters, but that the characters from S1 will still be involved in a way.

Also for all we know S2 isn't about a time loop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Nice! This is a great show.