Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

One of my daughters missed out on regionals by just one spot, but I'm still super proud of her. She fell on her last slalom run of the season. If she hadn't, she would have made it but I prefer she push herself like that and fall rather than play it safe. She was able to walk back to make the gate but it killed her time. They were invited instead to a invitational development camp as the next tier down. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Nice, that's sweet!

Also, when I was in NZ, where snow tires are not a thing and tire chains absolutely are, you only had to have them for two of the four wheels. It was always hilarious watching people trying and failing to get up the hill in their Corolla when they'd put the tires on the back two wheels. But yeah, 100% be sure you know how to put them on beforehand, because doing it in a dry, covered driveway is a way better way to learn than in rainy potholes covered in mud.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Also, when I was in NZ, where snow tires are not a thing and tire chains absolutely are, you only had to have them for two of the four wheels. It was always hilarious watching people trying and failing to get up the hill in their Corolla when they'd put the tires on the front two wheels. But yeah, 100% be sure you know how to put them on beforehand, because doing it in a dry, covered driveway is a way better way to learn than in rainy potholes covered in mud.
The Corolla is FWD (as of like 1983), am I misunderstanding something here? Or do you mean they had winter tires up front and chains in the back or something?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Spime Wrangler posted:

do you have any more info on this? seems like chains/cables on the front only would be a way worse decision.

Yes, this would cause a large asymmetry between the front and rear, which is why you wouldn't want to do it outside of certain conditions for a very short time, at low speeds. I think the general idea is that you would only put them on in very slick conditions, and the rear tires would spin, rather than fully engaging, which would take the stress off the drive train. Much like driving around with a spare tire on, you wouldn't want to do this for long distances. This would very much be an emergency only thing.

Putting chains or cables on the front and rear would also be asymmetrical, since no two chains will be installed the same, and since they are designed to have a bit of give to them. So driving around with four chains on could also damage your drive train, all while having the illusion of providing symmetrical traction. Remember that a small bit of tread wear difference on tires can gently caress up your transmission. Now think of the give your average chain install has.

TBH I would never put chains on a subi in either configuration. I've been driving my WRX to the mountain for 6 years now, and I've never come close to finding myself in a sketchy situation with just stud-less snow tires, and I've never once wished that I was able to put chains on.

It's worth pointing out that the vast majority, if not all new Subarus, have an entry in their owners manuals telling you not to install chains because there isn't enough clearance for them. Even if you can get them on, they can hit your struts or brake components and damage them. The only thing I would ever consider putting on them would be a super low clearance cable, which would be in emergencies only. But you shouldn't ever be getting stuck with snow tires and a Subaru. You'd run out of ground clearance before you ran out of traction.

As an aside, a friend of mine once drove back from the mountain all 60 miles on his Legacy with a donut on the rear and chains on the front. A week later, his transmission failed.

Fifty Three posted:

The Corolla is FWD (as of like 1983), am I misunderstanding something here? Or do you mean they had winter tires up front and chains in the back or something?

Yeah, unless they had the initial D car you'd want them on the front; putting them on the rear would do jack poo poo. As an aside, I have seen multiple people installing chains on the rear of FWD cars driving up to the mountain, and it is hilarious and frightening.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 7, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Ugh sorry I hosed up I meant they put the chains on the back wheels.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

HookShot posted:

Ugh sorry I hosed up I meant they put the chains on the back wheels.
Haha, I should have assumed, my bad. I was assuming you mountain folk knew something about uphill snow driving that I didn't. Chains on the back is magical. :allears:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Aspen is mildly outrageous today and slated to get outrageouser throughout the weekend. God I love skiing

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The steering & most of the braking happens on the front axle. If your car is putting power to that axle too, then chains will be more beneficial there than on the rear axle.

edit: Because I'm an idiot that didn't realize there was a whole other page here, I'm talking about putting them on an AWD vehicle. A couple of weeks ago in the lot at Meadows I saw a Mazda CX-5 w/ chains on over really nice studless snows on the front. I thought I took a pic, but looking at google photos I did not. Unfortunately I never saw the driver to assess their capacity to function in the world.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 7, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

spwrozek posted:

Man the avalanche danger in Colorado is insane right now.

Our zone (north San Juan) covers way too wide an area and variety of terrain to be really accurate for Telluride. When the dude from CAIC came and talked to our avy 1 class he told us to add half a level to get a more accurate reading for our local snowpack so “considerable” becomes “considerable and a half” I guess.

Sadly they are safe to assume that all most people will look at is the colors on the chart and so they gave us that nugget of wisdom. But for real, stay safe out there. Pow lines are not worth dying cold and alone over.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

FWD - chains on front
RWD - chains on back
4WD - chains on front
Subaru - no chains

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

Haha, I should have assumed, my bad. I was assuming you mountain folk knew something about uphill snow driving that I didn't. Chains on the back is magical. :allears:

We drove past the Turkish Ski Team once in their van that was probably built in the 70s with the coaches pushing the back of the van with the front wheels spinning madly and the back wheels with the chains on them being completely still LOL.

TBH I don't understand why they don't get the dudes at the bottom making sure people are putting their chains on to make sure people are putting them on correctly.

NZ is super conservative about chain usage though. One race we got up there they had the sign to put chains on out, and it was listed on the website, but when we got there it was too early for them to have actually bothered sending someone down to check since no one from the general public gets to the hill at 5:45am. So Mr. Hookshot, who was driving, and I looked at the road, went "yeah this is actually going to be fine, even on summer tires as long as we gun it up the hill and don't stop" (the check was at the last point so we knew how far we had to go, and we know the mountains well enough by now that we know how the weather changes) and made it up in our Corolla just fine. But of course since NZ is full of idiots from Australia who don't know what snow is like they have to require chains when people who know what they're doing don't necessarily need them.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

NZ also doesn't require you to have car insurance, which would help inform their enforcement on chain usage

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

il serpente cosmico posted:

Subaru - no chains

Extra head gasket and timing belt.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Are autosocks supposed to be the chains alternative for subarus? I've thought about buying some to appease the park rangers at Mt Rainier who apparently recommended them when turning away my sister from the road to paradise

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Fleet services at work issues nothing but autosocks for any normal sized vehicle.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tweak posted:

Are autosocks supposed to be the chains alternative for subarus? I've thought about buying some to appease the park rangers at Mt Rainier who apparently recommended them when turning away my sister from the road to paradise

The lower profile the device is, the better. But like I said, you really want to avoid using them unless it's an emergency situation.

Moey posted:

Extra head gasket and timing belt.

Have you thought about getting a sticker of Calvin pissing on the logo?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I got really excited for 30 replies of cool ski and snowboarding talk and it's all janglin' chains. Going to go out Saturday for a nice bluebird day with 20cm of fresh. I'll try to actually take and post some pics for once.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Have you thought about getting a sticker of Calvin pissing on the logo?

After living in the mountains and seeing them (along with every other type of vehicle) stuck in snowbanks, I don't think any vehicle is invincible. 4/AWD and good snow tires is your best bet.

For some reason the Subaru drivers like to tell everyone they are God's gift to snow covered roads.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That 100% describes me and I have an Outback, oops.

But to be fair before that I used to destroy all the 4x4 drivers who have no idea what they're doing in my 10-year-old Prius with 400,000kms on it sooooo

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The worst the people in the rental Suburbans with poo poo all season tires. They probably don't have a ton of exp driving in snow and assume 4wd "just works".

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Moey posted:

After living in the mountains and seeing them (along with every other type of vehicle) stuck in snowbanks, I don't think any vehicle is invincible. 4/AWD and good snow tires is your best bet.

For some reason the Subaru drivers like to tell everyone they are God's gift to snow covered roads.

Yes, I agree. Good tires and good driving are by far the two most important things. I used to drive my Accord up the mountain. It had snow tires on and it did fine. My WRX does better, though :haw: If the snow wasn't packed down / if I was trying to start from a stop on a hill with the Accord, things got dicey. I don't have to worry about that anymore.

People tend not to realize that while 4WD / AWD help you move, but they sure as hell don't help you stop. That's where the tires come in.

But I was originally responding to your joke about them being unreliable, which I don't really agree with, but that's a dumb thing to argue about in the skiing thread of all places.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 8, 2019

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yes, I agree. Good tires and good driving are by far the two most important things. I used to drive my Accord up the mountain. It had snow tires on and it did fine. My WRX does better, though :haw: If the snow wasn't packed down / if I was trying to start from a stop on a hill with the Accord, things got dicey. I don't have to worry about that anymore.

People tend not to realize that 4WD / AWD help you move, but they sure as hell don't help you stop. That's where the tires come in.

But I was originally responding to your joke about them being unreliable, which I don't really agree with, but that's a dumb thing to argue about in the skiing thread of all places.

It was a dumb joke none the less, ski on friends.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I uh…I have never seen this before. The last time I can remember a resort here being closed because of conditions was 2003.

https://kdvr.com/2019/03/07/arapahoe-basin-copper-mountain-close-for-extreme-avalanche-danger/

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

A buddy said to enjoy the skiing while we can and I thought he was being a little pessimistic, like sure we'll lose Florida to rising sea levels but it will always be snowing on the mountains.

But maybe it will snow too much???

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moey posted:

The worst the people in the rental Suburbans with poo poo all season tires. They probably don't have a ton of exp driving in snow and assume 4wd "just works".

It's the same here but X3s.

Then they drive in the left lane on the highway doing 55 in a 90.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We need easier access to Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded in the US.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Moey posted:

Driving up to Cypress one snowy day, I saw no less than 3 AMGs in the ditch...all of them with low profile summer tires. (Vancouver.txt).

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just booked a flight out to visit a friend for their birthday. 3 day ski weekend :toot:

Hope the avy situation out Breck/Keystone simmers down a bit, but keep stacking that pow.

3rd trip to Breck this year, still just as pumped.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Kinda like heliskiing but different

https://www.facebook.com/Amplid/posts/10161429264400384

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yuns posted:

We need easier access to Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded in the US.

My next tire minus the studs.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Fatality on Jones Pass. Apparently it was one of the Powder Addiction guys. Just…goddamit.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=709&accfm=rep&view=public

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I’m sad this thread taught me about autosocks because I would’ve howled with joy had I seen those in person first.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

Fatality on Jones Pass. Apparently it was one of the Powder Addiction guys. Just…goddamit.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?acc_id=709&accfm=rep&view=public

It is kind of just stupid honestly.

E: I mean I feel bad for him but at the same time the caic basically said don't go. Massive natural slides running everywhere. Just look at the peak 1 slide.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 8, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I agree with you, I was just trying not to go there.

I’m also curious about the details; if this was a company operation on a red flag day.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The powder addiction folks are saying the avalanche was set off by unguided skiers above their group.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Ugh, miserable at squaw today, near white out conditions

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
I'd just like to say gently caress the IKON pass. Great deal, but gently caress my rear end if I can ever get up to ski in LCC without having to leave at 5:30 am and then get down canyon by 3 pm.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Don't worry guys, you can have a real job as a venture capitalist in Vail too.

https://www.vaildaily.com/opinion/kraus-how-to-have-a-real-job-in-vail-column/

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Nobody thought it would work, but as long as you commit to a few weeks a year at your pied-a-terres in Hong Kong, London, and NYC for some high-bandwidth facetime you won’t even miss much on the cocktail circuit.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hi. If you get in the singles line and then try to let people by you at the end to stay with your friend, gently caress you.

Also Winter Park is very, very good today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Hi. If you get in the singles line and then try to let people by you at the end to stay with your friend, gently caress you.

I like to loudly shame people for doing this.