Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

whatever you do, please document your crimes. (probably fake crimes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

The poor white man needs a safespace :qq:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

You were walking yourself home from school with a key at age five?

Okay, glad you survived, but please don’t have your own children do this. Kids’ peripheral vision isn’t really good enough for them to walk alone safely on streets with any amount of traffic at that age.

It's weird to me as well. I was allowed to walk home by myself for a few years before, but wasn't given a key til I was like 13. It was annoying because my mum started working a later shift, so I had to go to this after school club with my brother and other significantly younger kids until then. Some of the kids were cute and funny to talk to but the staff made us eat toast and drink squash at regular intervals (nobody needs that much toast imo), plus there were consoles (you were allowed to play for 20 mins at a time) with two games and no memory cards. So you were stuck on the early levels until the end of time.

I guess what I'm saying is the best thing would be a middle ground between me and that goon. A key from about 10 sounds OK to me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Weldon Pemberton posted:

It's weird to me as well. I was allowed to walk home by myself for a few years before, but wasn't given a key til I was like 13. It was annoying because my mum started working a later shift, so I had to go to this after school club with my brother and other significantly younger kids until then. Some of the kids were cute and funny to talk to but the staff made us eat toast and drink squash at regular intervals (nobody needs that much toast imo), plus there were consoles (you were allowed to play for 20 mins at a time) with two games and no memory cards. So you were stuck on the early levels until the end of time.

I guess what I'm saying is the best thing would be a middle ground between me and that goon. A key from about 10 sounds OK to me.

At this point I'm thinking there's a generational thing factoring in. I was a kid during the 70s and the general modern perspective is it's a miracle that all of us didn't die from all the stuff we got up to.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I was left home alone starting in third grade, with a key and all. I cooked for myself (ramen and popcorn) and usually was alone all day on summer breaks. Such is the joy of being a "mature" child, an independent youth followed by many years of depression.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

mortality before the age of twenty was apparently almost twice as common in 1970 as it was in 2010 (edit: closer to three times as much)

the magnitude of that surprises me. i didn't read the article but i guess we die younger than some group of OECD countries. believable

here's an article with stats on deaths due to accidents:

quote:

Between 1960 and 1990 the death rate for children aged five to 14 fell 48 percent ... Among children under five, deaths from these causes [unintentional injury or accident] dropped from 44 per 100,000 children in 1960 to 18.6 per 100,000 in 1990.

some of the reduction in accidents causing deaths will be better medical care, some will be safer cars and balconies and poo poo, but i guess some of it is parents getting educated about ways their kids could die in accidents, and avoiding that. the article says that "advantage of education may have contributed to growing inequality between the mortality rate for children of more-educated parents and that for children of less-educated parents", but it doesn't give any numbers, annoyingly. (edit: i wonder if the education rates of the US and those 19 OECD countries follow a similar pattern?)

here's another data-like anecdote from that article: "the amount of safety information in Dr. Benjamin Spock's popular manual of baby and child care increased from three pages to 13 pages between 1957 and 1992."

anyway, there's less child death now than there was when we were kids :unsmith:

edit: oh yeah, i need to ask at some point, what does AUG mean? i just showed up here

edit2: awkward, ugly, gross? the OP didnt say it but the third or so post said two of those. anyway im done

oystertoadfish has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Mar 7, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

oystertoadfish posted:

mortality before the age of twenty was apparently almost twice as common in 1970 as it was in 2010 (edit: closer to three times as much)

the magnitude of that surprises me. i didn't read the article but i guess we die younger than some group of OECD countries. believable

some of the reduction in accidents causing deaths will be better medical care, some will be safer cars and balconies and poo poo, but i guess some of it is parents getting educated about ways their kids could die in accidents, and avoiding that. the article says that "advantage of education may have contributed to growing inequality between the mortality rate for children of more-educated parents and that for children of less-educated parents", but it doesn't give any numbers, annoyingly. (edit: i wonder if the education rates of the US and those 19 OECD countries follow a similar pattern?)

here's another data-like anecdote from that article: "the amount of safety information in Dr. Benjamin Spock's popular manual of baby and child care increased from three pages to 13 pages between 1957 and 1992."

edit: oh yeah, i need to ask at some point, what does AUG mean? i just showed up here

Always Use Graphs, it's the most AUG thing of all to do.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

oystertoadfish posted:

edit2: awkward, ugly, gross? the OP didnt say it but the third or so post said two of those. anyway im done

You mean well but nothing about your post was AUG.

Nice name btw

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

M_Sinistrari posted:

At this point I'm thinking there's a generational thing factoring in. I was a kid during the 70s and the general modern perspective is it's a miracle that all of us didn't die from all the stuff we got up to.

I was born in 1964.

One of my classmates was hit by a car that he couldn’t see coming in second grade (fortunately he lived).

I am not going to contribute to this derail any more.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Please everyone talk some more about the things you were allowed to do when you were a kid, it's loving fascinating

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Incest isn’t Pokémon! You don’t have to catch them all!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

This sounds like some kind of welfare scam judging by the look of the mom.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I regret to inform you all that the Catholics have discovered Izzy Australia.

https://twitter.com/adequateemily/status/1103531158669848576?s=2
“You didn’t think ‘Fancy’ could get any more white, did you?”

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

TinTower posted:

I didn't know SHuckS had a daughter.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

TinTower posted:

This poo poo makes me want to die

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

The Five People You Meet in Heaven

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I think that one got posted a while back in a thread on fandom cruise ship photos. The person in red's expression didn't change at all in the photos.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

oystertoadfish posted:

Yah. I was born in 1972 and I keep seeing people who are in roughly my age group post these idiotic "we did this and that and survived" screeds. Now where I live (Norway) we used to lose about 100 kids in car crash fatalities back in the 70s. These years it's usually in the single digits and at least once it's been zero. Mainly thanks to prevalent use of proper child seats and such. Guess what, dadspam posters, you survived and so did I but those 100 kids per year aren't posting anything on loving facebook because they didn't survive.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TinTower posted:

In countries where instead of drawing a cool cross with ashes on your forehead, they just sprinkle some ash on your hair, this problem doesn't exist.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

TinTower posted:

This is a hate crime because it sa crime and i hate it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TinTower posted:

:randno:

I thought it was bad enough when I was replacing "fancy" with "fluffy" singing at the cat.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

I thought it was bad enough when I was replacing "fancy" with "fluffy" singing at the cat.

thanks for the tip I'm going to do this when I get home

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
The parents in my neighborhood all put the kids outside pretty much all weekend, and we just came home for lunch or dinner. Nobody supervised us, we just wandered in the woods and poo poo.

There is something to be said for teaching your kids responsibility, and for protecting them, but there has to be some middle ground between watching them all the time and leaving them unsupervised most of the time.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Along with marrying her children, she seems to like Superman a lot too.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

:laffo:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Child finds leftover deelyboppers from when her mother went to a bachelorette party, doesn’t get that they are dicks.

Or, child finds leftover deelyboppers from when her mother went to a bachelorette party, absolutely gets that they are dicks, is ice-cold about embarrassing her teachers.

Honestly, don’t know which I’d rather.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Or mom makes a very tone deaf prank by giving her daughter deelyboppers so she can laugh at all the pearl clutchers at the ultimate expense of her daughter's dignity.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pssht that's not even a school bus. Pic has to be a kid going somewhere else, mall or something. But it can't be denied that dicks are funny.

E I hope the kid is going somewhere with the purpose of embarrassing someone. I mean she can't not know those are penises.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Scathach posted:

Pssht that's not even a school bus. Pic has to be a kid going somewhere else, mall or something. But it can't be denied that dicks are funny.
Nah, I just saw another poster on these very forums talk about schoolkids using public buses to get to school, with teacher chaperones and everything. But it can't be denied that dicks are funny.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hmm. Alright. I'm glad we're in agreement about the dicks.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Scathach posted:

E I hope the kid is going somewhere with the purpose of embarrassing someone. I mean she can't not know those are penises.

My grade 7 school in Ottawa sold bus passes at a greatly reduced rate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I never knew those were called deelyboppers. I thought they were called dweezils.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Solice Kirsk posted:

I never knew those were called deelyboppers. I thought they were called dweezils.

I think the act is just called Zappa Plays Zappa now

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

TinTower posted:

I'm confused why Emily doesn't think this guy is religious considering he sets off all the alarms of someone who has no friends or life outside of his church.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
I thought her name was Iggy Azalea

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It’s like how Tomi Lahren’s name is Tammy Lauren.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

She is Aussie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

TinTower posted:

It's like how Tomi Lahren’s name is Tammy Lauren.

Tonya Laryngitis