Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I want McEwen to finally win, in his home town. Also, have they decided that McEwen is skip now? Or is it still technically Carruthers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

McEwen was skipping at the Manitoba finals. Probably a good call.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
So about 6 months ago I started dating a girl who has been curling for a few years. It's something I've always wanted to try so, as a date, she arranged to bring me out to give it a shot. I enjoyed it so much that I pretty much immediately signed up for the beginner's league and have been out once a week since the start of January. It's great stuff and I'm glad this thread exists.

Chicken posted:

Also those dumb commercials with Vic and the guy who doesn't know anything about curling make me laugh every time.

Doug is a national treasure imho

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Welcome to the sport friend! We may be able to put a Something Awful curling team together.

Bottcher looked real good tonight. They were making everything out there.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

So about 6 months ago I started dating a girl who has been curling for a few years. It's something I've always wanted to try so, as a date, she arranged to bring me out to give it a shot. I enjoyed it so much that I pretty much immediately signed up for the beginner's league and have been out once a week since the start of January. It's great stuff and I'm glad this thread exists.

Same thing happened to me, we ended up getting married.

I actually curled against the wife's team last night in our friday night league, they killed us 9-5 or 10-6 (I can't remember if we put up all the points towards the end) but that's better than last year when they beat us like 16-2 or something.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This game is getting wild!

botcher down 5-0 and then stealing 3 two ends in a row to lead 6-5, just nuts.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yay Bottcher! I don't know why exactly being a casual curling fan in the U.S., but I like that team.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gret posted:

Yay Bottcher! I don't know why exactly being a casual curling fan in the U.S., but I like that team.

They're an underdog, they lost their provincial playdowns but had enough points to get into the wild card play off and really earned their way in. It's not hard to cheer for those guys. Plus the third is hilarious, he's got a ton of personality.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a new series on netflix called "losers" that tells the story of really talented losers in sports. Episode 4 is about the brier and it's a pretty entertaining story.

It's pretty funny seeing the dudes throwing rocks with a cigarette in their mouth.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Ok, who can explain to me what's up with the weird delivery sticks that some guys seem to use? Like, the thing Mike McEwan has with the red and yellow and green stripes. What is that thing and why?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Ok, who can explain to me what's up with the weird delivery sticks that some guys seem to use? Like, the thing Mike McEwan has with the red and yellow and green stripes. What is that thing and why?

It's just a broom. In McEwans case an extremely old one.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/garage-to-the-brier-mike-mcewen-s-old-broom-is-one-of-a-kind-1.2809759

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Decided to check out the scores of the second draw today and saw that Quebec has already had 3 4-enders out of 5 ends played so far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

gret posted:

Decided to check out the scores of the second draw today and saw that Quebec has already had 3 4-enders out of 5 ends played so far.

Botcher put up a 6 in one end yesterday, and today is up 6-0 in the 5th. His last 3 games were 10-5, 10-3, and 10-4.

He's clowning on fools out there.

e: and now the NL guy had to draw against like 7 and celebrated when he got it.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 6, 2019

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Chicken posted:

Welcome to the sport friend! We may be able to put a Something Awful curling team together.

I thought about this this a few years ago for the 5-and-unders, but most of the curling goons already have teams. If it's for an event that isn't super far, I'd likely be up for it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I finally remembered that the Brier is on ESPN3 and man, Bottcher is really good at this. Too bad Manitoba is in the same pool, they're my favorite teams. I really wish that some curling body here in the US did a better job letting us know how we can watch stuff, usually it's all buried somewhere or I have to bother Matt Sussman on Twitter or something.

Also I played in a league this winter! We won a single game and it was one of the weeks I was out of town! But it ruled!

EDIT: Also guys like PEI's skip who swing the stone entirely off the ice on their delivery are insane to me, how the hell do you moderate your delivery strength if you're doing that?!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 7, 2019

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the lifted stone is old school. Some guys like koe only do it for up weight shots. Jim cotter does it for every throw.

Looks like koe and Jacobs are the teams to beat. Jacobs in particular has been outstanding

E. It almost looks like the playoffs are set for the brier. One of the 4 bottom teams would have to go 4 and 0 in the Champions pool to even have a chance I think. If any of them could do it it would be McEwen. But they haven't played great this week

Duck Rodgers fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 7, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yeah the lifted stone is old school. Some guys like koe only do it for up weight shots. Jim cotter does it for every throw.

I had only ever seen the way Koe does where he just kind of tilts the stone, Likely swings it all the way back and one of the guys Team Ontario last night was not just swinging it back but also practically standing up, it looked like a bowling delivery.

Curling pros are not human.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/leftbutton/status/1103698851918012416

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 7, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Super cool for ESPN's stream to gently caress up and me just be sitting here unable to watch the good boy Brendan Bottcher steal one from Koe's krew in the 9th end. :shepicide:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Super cool for ESPN's stream to gently caress up and me just be sitting here unable to watch the good boy Brendan Bottcher steal one from Koe's krew in the 9th end. :shepicide:

You should write an angry letter, that was a barn burner.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Powershift posted:

You should write an angry letter, that was a barn burner.

It loving fixed its poo poo after the game ended and I was refreshing CurlingZone and fuuuuuuuuuuck.

I guess the upside is that every time I went to check and had to watch the beginning of the broadcast I got to see this :shobon:

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 8, 2019

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

That... is beautiful! Brendan and Darren are a weird combo but it works so well.

I really hope Jacobs doesn't win the whole thing. They look pretty unstoppable so far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

That... is beautiful! Brendan and Darren are a weird combo but it works so well.

I really hope Jacobs doesn't win the whole thing. They look pretty unstoppable so far.

He's getting thromped by Ontario.

escaped this only giving up a steal of 1.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So on the broadcast they were talking about how Bottcher said the best game they played was the one against Alberta, and it was the one they lost, but drat those dudes are bringing it every game and I can't stop thinking about if they had beaten Koe...

EDIT: Holy poo poo that final Jacobs throw was close.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 9, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wow, Botcher's last rock in the 6th. That's career highlight reel stuff.

He's making questionable calls, but really pulling himself out of it with awesome shots.

e: this game is loving ridiculous.
e2: i hope there's a way for people who missed this to see that 8th end because holy poo poo.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 9, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Powershift posted:

Wow, Botcher's last rock in the 6th. That's career highlight reel stuff.

He's making questionable calls, but really pulling himself out of it with awesome shots.

e: this game is loving ridiculous.
e2: i hope there's a way for people who missed this to see that 8th end because holy poo poo.

He did the same type of thing Team USA were doing in 2018 where they forced themselves into making really hard shots to stay alive, and then it all paid off in a big way...just like for Team USA.

Bottcher rules.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gushue is getting so loving chippy.

I don't think i've ever seen him on the back foot like this.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Bottcher gonna get a rematch with Koe in the final and he's gonna get his win this time.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Woo hoo Bottcher!

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
I can't cheer for bottcher since he beat Epping to get here. But I also can't cheer for Jacob's because. So I guess go koe

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This has been the best brier in a while, the 4 top teams basically all at their best. I'd like to see Botcher win it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

This has been the best brier in a while, the 4 top teams basically all at their best. I'd like to see Botcher win it.

I am 100% ok with either of these teams winning. These guys played their asses off all week.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
So many f-bombs.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That was a low scoring game but JFC it was entertaining.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The women's worlds is on. You can usually watch all the games not involving your country's team on the world curling youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WorldCurlingTV

they often have different commentators and it's really neat to get a different perspective on the game.

It's in denmark, so games are basically all on overnight, but the full game replays should all be there.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Does anyone watching the worlds know why the South Korean team has black duct tape across the chest of their uniforms? It's clearly covering something, I just have no idea what it could be that they'd have to cover it.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

^In their official picture they have a patch for "KB" on the left chest. I googled it and it's a sponsorship from one of the big banks in South Korea. I would guess that the title sponsor of the event "LGT: Liechtenstein Global Trust" (also a bank) wouldn't allow other banking sponsorships there but they only figured it out a few days before the event and didn't have time to get new gear?

Latvia's lead is 15 years old and has been curling for 7 years. That's cool.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Does anyone watching the worlds know why the South Korean team has black duct tape across the chest of their uniforms? It's clearly covering something, I just have no idea what it could be that they'd have to cover it.

It's one of their sponsors, KB Financial, which is a direct competitor of LGT, the event's title sponsor.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmbmGtDhmI

There's already an NFL all star curling team, why not an NHL one?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLmbmGtDhmI

There's already an NFL all star curling team, why not an NHL one?

What a bunch of jerks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Ah cool, thanks for the replies guys.