Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I found the shambler pretty early on (right when I got the desert) but thought it was the worst gun in the game next to the godawful minigun, and always chose the A Shot over it. The real shame is getting the crossbow and railgun so late because they are both amazing and you barely get to use either of them.

I'm gonna have to replay and kill all those poor peter pan guys just so I can use the crossbow more. The railgun attachment is hopeless since you get it like an hour before the end of the game and there's nothing worth shooting with it except those leeches I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
The A Shot with the twin barrels just loads so fast it’s hard to beat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's theoretically 2-shot, but in practice I just treated it as having an unlimited magazine since it could reload faster than I wanted to shoot.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the ashot owns bones. i tried using the shambler for like 5 minutes then dumped it cuz it was chewing through ammo. it felt like it was much weaker. its too bad the quad barrels for the ashot fire 2 shots at once cuz otherwise i would have used them

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

veni veni veni posted:

The railgun attachment is hopeless since you get it like an hour before the end of the game and there's nothing worth shooting with it except those leeches I guess.

Well it’s also great against the few nosalis hordes you run into. I pretty much used it to the exclusion of everything else after I got it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The damage on the Shambler is a joke compared to the A Shot. I loaded it up with all the bells and whistles for the last level since I knew there would be a ton of mutants and it was still crap. I dumped it half way through and used an AR I picked up and it was way better than the shambler for the nosalies. I felt guilty for leaving my trusty old A Shot on the train for that whole segment.

More importantly though. The A Shot is just fun as hell to use. it feels absolutely brutal. Same with the revolver. Revolver with sniper rifle parts is goddamn perfection.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 7, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah the carbine revolver is the king of the early game

Also the Ashot with the heavy grip (no stock) looks rad as hell

But I want my clip loading shotgun, damnit

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm normally a semi auto shotgun maniac but this game was the exception.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I used the shambler w/ magazines and never felt my firepower was inadequate on hardcore. never had to run around and avoid monsters while I reloaded either

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Maybe that’s the difference if it works like previous games. I’m playing on HC and haven’t had a problem with the shambler’s damage.

I also have loving memories of the Azbat

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
My 2080Ti just arrived :unsmigghh:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Anti-Hero posted:

My 2080Ti just arrived :unsmigghh:

Congrats, game looks really nice with mine. Can't wait for the expansion content.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
even on metro hardcore the bullpup oneshots most of the endgame mutants if you switch to the midlength barrel.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!
Finished this game a few days ago, really enjoyed it. I liked previous Metro games a fair bit, but the Stalker-ish semi-open world qualities definitely are more to my tastes. The exploring felt natural and not the typical Ubisoft collect-a-thon poo poo I’ve tired of in the Far Cry games.

Did anybody else have issues with crashing on PC in this game? It was running great for me until I hit the desert, then I hit a spot where I couldn’t play more than 5 minutes without crashing to desktop. Eventually narrowed it down to the GeForce Experience overlay, turned it off and made it through the rest of the game without a single issue. This was on the previous NVidia drivers, may not be an issue on the newest ones, but if anyone else out there is having problems, give that a shot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It would not accept any overclock on my 980ti at all. Took me a while to narrow that down because it kept hardlocking in the same place near the start so I was thinking it was one of the settings. I rarely have games crash on my normal OC and never had one crash on my slightly more conservative OC.

Other than that, surprisingly stable.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Yeah I thought it may have been my overclock on my 1080 Ti, but going down to stock settings didn’t resolve it. After figuring out it was the overlay I restored the overclock and had no issues for the rest of the play through.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I had two crashes on my crapola PC, and one was when quitting the game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have a pretty decent overclock on my GTX 1080 and the only instability issues have been when attempting to alt-tab at dumb times.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Had a few crashes on the 1080 too, but nothing reproducible. Worked without any mid-desert till the end. Also with the driver before the specific Metro driver.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
https://youtu.be/3BESE4twe8w

So, uh. Giul, about your gun...

Edit: it's like it's mocking the fact I was super low on ammo.

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 8, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I'm guessing you are playing on consoles. I've heard it's a buggy mess on those, which has been the exact opposite experience of my PC playthrough.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Anti-Hero posted:

I'm guessing you are playing on consoles. I've heard it's a buggy mess on those, which has been the exact opposite experience of my PC playthrough.

Yeah, PS4. Honestly, it didn't bother me, just made me laugh some. I don't think I've run into too many other glitches/bugs thus far, though. I'm sure I will.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Terra-da-loo! posted:

This is not a glitch... it was Guil’s way of telling you that your aim and ammo consumption were laughable. She’s had a hard life and you are water fat.

Ash vs Shambler talk: I want to like the Shambler but the heavy grip double ash loads so sodding quick. I got jumped by a horde of man animals and some rats and it cleaned house. The 4 barrel devours ammo but it knocked and kill d a daemon in mid charge so I love it. Still reloads so quick.
Veni: thank you for the gun recommendations, rocking Ash and long barrelled revolver until it pries them from my cold dead hands.
Finished the first two games And will this one this weekend. Love this game. Still surprised I missed so many postcards and notes as I take my time. I hate mananimals. Annoying mutants.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anti-Hero posted:

Nah. It's not. That is a funny bug though I didn't run into a single issue on PS4 other than some frame drops in the desert.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Whoa, there is a quad for the ashot? Where was it? I went through the entire game with just the double. And I was pretty thorough with exploration and scavenging enemy guns.

Also was there ever a normal 4x scope for the tikhar?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Broose posted:

Whoa, there is a quad for the ashot? Where was it? I went through the entire game with just the double. And I was pretty thorough with exploration and scavenging enemy guns.

Also was there ever a normal 4x scope for the tikhar?

You must have worked hard to not see the quad barrel because it get pretty common to find people carrying it once you reach the Pioneer camp in the Taiga. Unless you were completely avoiding other people entirely I bet you picked it up and didn’t even realize it. It fires 2 shots at a time though so still effectively a 2 shot gun.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

The Ashot is cool, but I miss the Duplet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

You must have worked hard to not see the quad barrel because it get pretty common to find people carrying it once you reach the Pioneer camp in the Taiga. Unless you were completely avoiding other people entirely I bet you picked it up and didn’t even realize it. It fires 2 shots at a time though so still effectively a 2 shot gun.

I felt like I scraped over nearly every square inch of the game and I didn't find the quad either.

I guess it's possible I got it and didn't notice. I didn't gently caress around with the A shot attachments much at that point in the game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Quad is kinda pointless anyway.

There is no 4x Tikhar scope, it’s on the sniper equipment scheme for whatever reason.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Dogen posted:

Quad is kinda pointless anyway.

There is no 4x Tikhar scope, it’s on the sniper equipment scheme for whatever reason.

It really is overkill for most thing and gobbles ammo like mad but there is nothing like downing almost anything in one go. There is just something so entertaining about 4 barrels of shotgun death. It might’ve been a glitch but it knocked a daemon silly in mid charge and he went splat. That was... rewarding.

I’m in the Taiga now. There is a part of me hoping to run across the Manpupener rock formations so I can relive my childhood. Needs more reindeer and wolves tho. Cmon Komi DLC. This really is a great game and word of mouth needs to spread.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I wish this game made it easier to compare weapons without picking them up. There's a bunch of times I've picked up a weapon to test it and the one I swapped it for got put down in a random location that I possibly can't get to.

Still loving it though - there's so much attention to detail in terms of how people respond to your actions and handle you doing things out of order. They've also conveyed a horribly lonely and hosed up world so well that every light on the horizon looks like home and even coming across bandits is pleasant cos at least they're human and maybe we can make friends.

Ignoring the fact it's not a proper RPG this is exactly what I wanted Fallout to be.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

toiletbrush posted:

I wish this game made it easier to compare weapons without picking them up. There's a bunch of times I've picked up a weapon to test it and the one I swapped it for got put down in a random location that I possibly can't get to.

Still loving it though - there's so much attention to detail in terms of how people respond to your actions and handle you doing things out of order. They've also conveyed a horribly lonely and hosed up world so well that every light on the horizon looks like home and even coming across bandits is pleasant cos at least they're human and maybe we can make friends.

Ignoring the fact it's not a proper RPG this is exactly what I wanted Fallout to be.

Identifying the weapon and parts and body is the key, but the only description for those is at the workbench. I never found it useful to pick up entire weapons. Just strip them and then check your workbench for new parts. And also test new bodys there rather than in the field.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up

veni veni veni posted:

I felt like I scraped over nearly every square inch of the game and I didn't find the quad either.

I guess it's possible I got it and didn't notice. I didn't gently caress around with the A shot attachments much at that point in the game.

Think I found the quad in the slaver ship in the caspian, not the mining one but the other one in the lower middle part of the map

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

So on PS4 after you pick up a note you touch the touchpad to read it. After the prompt is gone the touchpad brings up the map. What am I missing here to go back and read old notes?

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

The semi auto shotgun with magazine and suppressor is the gun with the most potential to be good ruined by how weak it is. Unless the bandits catch every buckshot in the head it’s more like I just threw change at them.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

I liked the Shambler a far bit when I kitted it out with the 10 round mag and the long barrel that ups the damage, but in every other configuration it is weak as hell. When I first picked it up in the desert with the short barrel attached it was laughably bad, melee with it is probably more effective than actually shooting anything.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ultimateforce posted:

So on PS4 after you pick up a note you touch the touchpad to read it. After the prompt is gone the touchpad brings up the map. What am I missing here to go back and read old notes?

Go to the pause menu and select "Collectibles"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Finished it a few days ago, this was pretty drat good. Didn't mind the radiation sickness induced fever dream ending but the sewers did suck a bit, and the gorillas were pretty weird, I thought they'd freeze to death in the winter.

Overall I thought the confined spaces of the previous game suited it better, and the open-world maps didn't take as much advantage of it as Stalker did, but on the other hand mixing it up a bit every map had its advantages too, direct Mad Max and Lord of the Flies ripoffs or not. NG+ would've been nice to use my big guns on some fools though.

If anyone wants to archive the auto/quick saves to go back later, I didn't find my old app but made a quick one that you can run from the save folder and it will copy every modified file there into the Archive subfolder:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/mobby_6kl/apps/SaveSaver.exe (source)
It's pretty quick and dirty so it might copy the same file twice and crash if your folder is longer than 1024 characaters but it works for me. The game makes a ton of autosaves so it could quickly fill up an SSD.

Since I'm a bit :spergin: about graphics, I have a question for RTX-havers.

When you enable it, does the flashlight light up the whole room, even when you're shining it on one wall?

Without RTX it, there's no global illumination so it just lights up a small cone, which isn't how it really works.

Are reflections raytraced?

I guess they're using screen-space reflections so when the rocks above the water are obscured by the truck and aren't rendered to your view, they aren't visible in the reflection either.

Also reflections near the edge of the screen disappear for the same reasons:

Are shadows RTXed as well?

The shadows now are a hack as well of course though it's a bit more difficult to tell, but I would say the shadows on the background should've been much larger than on the other railing, which is closer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

ultimateforce posted:

The semi auto shotgun with magazine and suppressor is the gun with the most potential to be good ruined by how weak it is. Unless the bandits catch every buckshot in the head it’s more like I just threw change at them.

Yeah I've constantly waffled on using the suppressed Ashot and the suppressed Shambler. Like everybody says, the Shambler has some surprisingly anemic damage issues, which has been a problem for me on the Hardcore difficulties. A suppressed Ashot only carries a single shell, but reloads so fast that follow-up shots (like, if you get startled by something and whiff the first shot or only graze the target) are fast enough to keep you safe most of the time; the Shambler can carry a ton of ammunition but I find that most things need to get tagged a couple of times to get killed...and then you're spraying buckshot all over the place and hitting walls and furniture and making a ton of noise any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I haven't touched either of the shotguns they are both superfluous with a silencer on an AK and later the bulldog for group fights, and the pistol for sniping, coupled with the incendiary rounds for the Tikhar and nothing lives past the first shot or two.

The incen rounds for the Tikhar take a demon down in 2 hits, if you let the first fire burn all the way, and a head shot is a head shot is a head shot, and anything caught unawares dies to a body or head shot as well. Throwing knives are still the most broken and fun toy in the game, throw a can, throw a knife, there you won Metro.

Only ever use the pressure sealed Tikhar mod and keep it above max pressure pumped and you will rip through everything in the game. Notable exceptions being the Bear and the Shrimp and both of those are outpaced by a gentle application of strafing.

Mildly unrelated note I had a fun encounter with a demon friend which made Artyom over react a little bit. Such a Russian Drama Queen.

https://plays.tv/video/5c699340c235a0330b/just-as-confused-as-you-are-mister-demon