Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Marvel's Captain Marvel is going where nobody's gone before: a movie about a female superhero that's also a historical period piece.

IMDB synopsis posted:

She is sick of whiny boys. And she is perfectly OK with dealing out death.

Understandably everyone's a bit excited for this. The chuds are out in full force, and if you're not with Captain Marvel, you're with them.

Help it make a billion dollars, or talk about how it's Air Force propaganda and how the comics suck even by the standards of superhero comics.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

She Kills People From 7,850 Miles Away

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"She is sick of whiny boys. And she is perfectly OK with dealing out death."

Hm, would've been too long for a thread title, but I guess it can serve as plot summary.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 8, 2019

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like how every single post about CM I read on SA starts with "I saw Captain Marvel, it was decent."

More like Captain Decent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looks like chuds are bombing the poo poo out of Captain Marvel's audience score. Currently sitting at 39%. Just shut down Rotten Tomatoes tbh.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The trailers have given me nothing to be interested in.

"There's aliens, and they disguise themselves." "I have a mysterious past, and some repressed memories."

Cool. What's the movie about?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The movie is alright. The first half was definitely better than the second half, and especially the end where she becomes so powerful that all sense of danger and suspense is gone.

However, the movie does one pretty ballsy thing with the lore of the Marvel universe, and will only really pull out the rug from under you if you’re actually a comic reading nerd. It uses your comic knowledge against you.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I like how every single post about CM I read on SA starts with "I saw Captain Marvel, it was decent."

More like Captain Decent.

Eh, the BSS hivemind seem to like it, but that's a given considering how they absolutely love formulaic garbage :v:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Martman posted:

The trailers have given me nothing to be interested in.

"There's aliens, and they disguise themselves." "I have a mysterious past, and some repressed memories."

Cool. What's the movie about?

do you want a mostly honest answer that will probably genuinely intrigue you more than the trailers have?

it's about a lesbian superhero who saves a bunch of Palestinian refugees from Space Mossad. also, Cathulu

Seriously there is about 75% of a truly fantastic movie bogged down by the trappings of being in the Marvel universe. The worst parts, in my opinion, were all of the stale 1990s jokes (ah yes I remember Blockbuster and Alta Vista and Radio Shack) and the overbearing soundtrack trying to remind you every five minutes that it is, in fact, the 1990s. I'm not opposed to the setting inherently, but there's only one aspect of it that really uses it for the movie's purposes (the Air Force not letting women fly combat missions so Carol and Monica had to take what they could get re:flight time) rather than the overall universe's (i.e. "we wanted to show Nick Fury pre-Avengers"). The worst part of all of those references was the final fight, which had no diagetic reason to be set to Just a Girl, and which didn't really use the rhythm of the song to its advantage (like, say, an Edgar Wright movie) so it was just another 1990s reference. I get that it was the culmination of her being "just" human or "just" a woman but it's too clever by half. I also thought making the lead hero's trademark MCU Snark a character trait was a mixed bag. I wish they had made the Kree just a bit more humorless, with all of the talk in the beginning about how Jude Law hates fighting with emotion he seemed to have a slightly dryer version of that same wit, so it came across as kinda samey. They should have given Djimon Hounsou a bit more to do, him and Carol had the best banter of the movie and it sucks that they only had the one moment.

but on the other hand, snark aside, Carol was a really great character. She definitely wasn't just Lady Cap America or Lady Tony Stark or whatever, she had her own drive and unique ambition and watching her rediscover herself over the course of the movie was really cool. When I first saw the trailers I was worried that they were giving away some big hint that she wasn't really Kree, so having that come in right from the start relieved me a bit. I think she was a little cool and collected for someone who supposedly fights with too much anger and emotion, but her journey really picks up once Maria shows up. Honestly, the fact that they weren't explicitly a couple felt almost like another 1990s throwback, but I'm sorry you do not wear matching pajamas with a woman and her child unless you are deeply in love. You can feel through all of the artifacts and the way Maria and Monica act towards Carol and the slow return to normal for Carol that they are a family, 6 year gap be damned.

And on a more intergalactic note, the Kree/Skrull conflict was not, as I would have expected, a boring typical galaxy-wide conflict from some lame space opera. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop on Talos and have it turn out that he was like, triple-crossing Carol. Honestly, I mis-read a plot description earlier in the day and was under the assumption that Yon-Rogg was a skrull and kept waiting for that reveal and that both sides were equally terrible and war is hell and no one can be trusted and there is no right answer, but like someone said over in the comic book thread, I was incredibly relieved given the events of the past (your pick of 70 years/3-4 years/couple weeks) that the refugees seeking a home and family were just that, nothing more. It seemed incredibly obvious to me that the particular conflict seemed to resemble most the Israeli/Palestinean conflict (I feel like something could be said in that case about making the Palestinians literal shape-shifting lizard people but also it portrays the IDF/Mossad as humorless warrior types who have no qualms about attacking innocents, which yep yep yep) and if that's the case then this is almost certainly the most anti-zionist blockbuster Hollywood has ever put out. I'm sort of curious to see if more comes of this in the coming weeks, because even if you don't draw the explicit I/P lines, the movie seems like a much stronger statement of intent than Black Panther a year ago. I don't think I would have expected this strong a political metaphor from an MCU movie, especially after how it bungled Nazis Run The FBI/CIA/Special Ops Unit mess in Winter Soldier and the stuff with Killmonger in BP and Tony Stark being a living representation of the Defense Industry.

Shorter notes:
*One of my friends pointed out that Brie's hair was on point and dammit he was right. Her hair was on point.
*Annette Benning was woefully underused. Seriously she played two half-characters and neither one got to do anything very interesting.
*Why is Carol able to do all of that complicated wiring poo poo with phones and pagers and stuff?
*That cat is the best cat and I hope in the future we get more cat. I think the first time he went full Cathulu I laughed harder than at any point during the rest of the movie.
*There were some really well-shot scenes, especially in the more esoteric parts at the beginning when they delve into Carol's memory-scape/past. There were also some poorly shot scenes, like any time after Carol gets her new uniform colors when she's standing full in profile. For whatever reason, the effects work feels much more obvious there.
*If you really wanted the movie to feel like the 1990s and you really wanted to set it in LA how the gently caress was there no rap music? TLC is great but in my head you couldn't exist in LA in 1995 without hearing Tupac. Instead I feel like most of the songs they picked were really obnoxious.
*also a music note, but it bums me out that the movie was set in 1995 instead of 2000 because I'm sure with the way this movie is soundtracked we would have gotten Learn to Fly at some point.
*The final scene with Fury writing his proposal was the single dumbest thing I think I've ever seen in a movie theater ever and since I was all alone I booed loudly and obnoxiously because it was so dumb. Carol "Avenger" Danvers is, in my firm opinion, dumber than how Han got his last name in Solo, and there's nothing you can do to convince me otherwise.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can someone remind me how danvers has powers after rogue steals them

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

it's about a lesbian superhero who saves a bunch of Palestinian refugees from Space Mossad.

You know that creates a fun contrast with Wonder Woman

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Captain Decent is a very good name for this movie. I liked the cat.

Cheers to the parents who brought not only a baby but a toddler to an IMAX screening, then proceeded to drop the toddler on the row in front of them halfway through the movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Was the cat in the collector's zoo in gotg?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone remind me how danvers has powers after rogue steals them

They were reignited when she was experimented on by the Brood in space.

I know connecting the movies together can drag the individual movies down a bit, but I like the change about Carol’s powers coming from her being infused by energy from an Infinity Gem. It makes sense and dovetails nicely to Endgame

bcrules82
Mar 27, 2003
I have to agree that the song choice Just A Girl for the final fight really took me out of the movie. It wasn't rocking, the tempo didn't match, and they actually were blasting the song lyrics over talking actors, which just irritated me. An example of doing it right would be "Bad Reputation" in Kick-rear end when she's running down the hall. They pinned themselves in a corner by forcing all the songs to be from the 90s.

The Nirvana song was a little forced, but didn't bother me as much.
For as long as she was wearing the NIN t-shirt I was kinda hoping they'd play a song mix (like Resident Evil, Seven, etc).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

teagone posted:

Looks like chuds are bombing the poo poo out of Captain Marvel's audience score. Currently sitting at 39%. Just shut down Rotten Tomatoes tbh.

Typically I don't pay attention to audience reviews, but the Last Jedi was a 91% of movie critics enjoyed the film while audience was around 30% when the movie came out and the audience score ended up being far more accurate by a huge margin. I'm still seeing Captain Marvel this weekend and will just decide for myself.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

lol, jesus christ

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
enjoyed it well enough, but thought it was disappointingly drab for a movie involving cosmic poo poo, and never really found carol a compelling character. weakest MCU effort since Age of Ultron IMO

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

I said come in! posted:

Typically I don't pay attention to audience reviews, but the Last Jedi was a 91% of movie critics enjoyed the film while audience was around 30% when the movie came out and the audience score ended up being far more accurate by a huge margin. I'm still seeing Captain Marvel this weekend and will just decide for myself.

The difference is that TLJ was just a bad movie. Poorly written, poorly paced, unlikable characters.

Captain Marvel has a few issues, but I overall thought it was an enjoyable movie. Honestly, besides the aforementioned fight scene song, my only real complaint was her fighter pilot friend whose mushroom-shaped haircut and buck teeth were really distracting :v:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gotta support the noble warrior heroes!

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The feminism felt very 'corporate' but there were a group of tweens who seemed to really enjoy it all and clapped at the end so who am I to deprive them of that.

A lot of the 'jokes' fell flat and other than goose there weren't a lot of suprising amusements that we hadn't seen in the trailer.

Worst part was the music. No discernable musical leitmotif for a character that I guess is supposed to lead the future MCU is beyond shameful. Also they need to find whoever chose the music for GOTG because all the nostalgia songs were loving awful and felt so out of place.

It was okay but the 90s really sucked and this movie probably made me more sure of that than ever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Music started to be cool in the beginning with the synths, but was overall pretty weak. I’ve kinda enjoyed most of the MCU scores but this is a first for me.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i dont get why "come as you are" would appear at all in a movie where carol danvers isnt actually on earth for the vast majority of the 90s

she should have been into 80s music instead

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Before I see this movie:

1) Are there any references to Capri Sun?
2) Are there any references to the Clinton Presidency (bonus if there's a winky reference to Hillary's disastrous run 25 years hence)
3) Is there a dial-up modem sound?
4) Does anyone say, "Hey, it's the 90s."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No
No
yes sorta (they;re loading a disc and it takes a while)
no I don't think they do

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
gently caress off with this weak rear end bullshit then.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Ok heres my review. A lot to unpack so bear with me. I feel asleep during the movie so as far as things that happened I can’t really comment on them but I can assure you that captain marvel is just as much of a super hero as the other avengers

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Couldn't you find something better to do with your life?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I liked it, my wife LOVED it.

I suspect that Captain Marvel will be women’s Black Panther. If you think it’s bad or just ok then you weren’t really in the true target audience.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Numlock posted:

I suspect that Captain Marvel will be women’s Black Panther. If you think it’s bad or just ok then you weren’t really in the true target audience.

That's a rather shallow way of evaluating movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm in the target audience for BP and I hated that poo poo.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Numlock posted:

What does it mean if I'm a comic book reading woman and I don't like it?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The target audience is white woman who respect are troops

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Waffles Inc. posted:

What does it mean if I'm a comic book reading woman and I don't like it?

"fake geek girl"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The target audience is white dudes who like the idea that they empower others by watching Disney movies. Also, kids.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The target audience is people who think that kissing scene in Top Gun is the most romantic moment in cinematic history

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The target audience is tweens, who love everything! It's the people outside that age group who should know better.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The target audience is the disconsolate eunuch who once served the women of my harem but was cast out for various improprietries

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm in the target audience for BP and I hated that poo poo.

you're in the CIA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I enjoyed the soundtrack/overall aesthetic .

But I imagine I'm literally at the point in life where I'm Homer in the "Lollapalooza" ep. hyping up "dinosaur rock" to people.

Having seen "Garbage" and "Smashing Pumpkins" in concert in the past 12 months? I imagine that helped.

(and Blockbuster loving sucked. The "Vintage Stock" that took up many of it's locations is a vast improvement. No reason to be nostalgic for that place)