Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

STAC Goat posted:

Eli Roth flat out admitted in the promotional press that the entire movie was just a giant "gently caress you" to sjws and online activism. gently caress Green Inferno and gently caress Eli Roth.

iirc this isn't quite what he said. it was a gently caress-you to activists who dive headlong into an issue without actually bothering to do any research or understand the nuances of it, inspired by the Joseph Kony media frenzy, in which a bunch of clueless white suburbanites followed an obsessive public masturbator in his quest to take down a man who was probably already dead.

i might be remembering it wrong because this discussion is the first time i've thought about Green Inferno in several years, but it sounded reasonable to me; it was a worse look to say it when the movie actually came out than it was when he wrote and made it, as activism in the Anglosphere changed pretty drastically in the several years it spent on the shelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

iirc this isn't quite what he said. it was a gently caress-you to activists who dive headlong into an issue without actually bothering to do any research or understand the nuances of it, inspired by the Joseph Kony media frenzy, in which a bunch of clueless white suburbanites followed an obsessive public masturbator in his quest to take down a man who was probably already dead.

i might be remembering it wrong because this discussion is the first time i've thought about Green Inferno in several years, but it sounded reasonable to me; it was a worse look to say it when the movie actually came out than it was when he wrote and made it, as activism in the Anglosphere changed pretty drastically in the several years it spent on the shelf.

I remember hearing this and the 'screw you sjws' both going around for a while. I remember more when Roth said when he was describing to the tribespeople what he was filming and they asked to see one of these types of films and they thought all of us in the cities were silly for thinking they were like that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He did invoke Kony but he actually says he wrote it before that happened. Here's the exact quote. My reading is way heavier on the "SJW culture being out of control" and virtue signaling allusions than any kind of sincere appeal to people taking more nuanced and informed views at subjects.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-eli-roth-green-inferno-sjw-20150709-story.html

quote:

I wanted to write a movie that was about modern activism. I see that a lot of people want to care and want to help, but in general I feel like people don't really want to inconvenience their own lives. And I saw a lot of people just reacting to things on social media. These social justice warriors. 'This is wrong, this is wrong, this is wrong.' And they're just tweeting and retweeting. They're not actually doing anything. Or you see people get involved in a cause that they don't really know a lot about and they go crazy about it. I wanted to make a movie about kids like that. I think there's a lot great things, obviously, about activism people commit their lives to it. But I want to make a story about kids who don't really know what they're getting into. Get in way over their heads, it actually works. And then the irony is on their way home their plane crashes and the very people they saved think that they're invaders, and just dart them and eat them. And make them the food supply of the village.

So "Green Inferno" is your reaction to the #SJWs of twitter?

Yeah. I actually wrote it, and when I finished the draft Kony 2012 happened. I was like this is it. Everyone is going, 'What's wrong with you?' They're drinking their mugs going 'Don't you care about child soldiers and kids being raped how can you not tweet this video?' Everyone got so self righteous and publicly shaming. It was something that they hadn't heard of 24 hours ago. I think it's a double edged sword. I think there are ways to get involved and ways to be helpful. But the SJW culture has gotten so out of control. That you feel that everyone, are they doing it because they believe in it? Or do they just want to look like good people? Are people retweeting things because they think it's important or because they want everyone to think that they're a caring person? And I'm not making a judgment on these people either way. I'm just making a comment on it.

They do get eaten by cannibals…

They get eaten by cannibals yeah. Exactly.

I think its very generous to take any kind of "real activism is good" from a movie that has the main character mostly get involved because she has a crush on the activist leader, to have that leader be staging a false flag operation to help another oil company, and has a character whose sole purpose in the film is to say things like "activism is loving gay meant to appease their loving white jewish suburban guilt”. And even if you do take the "moral" of the story as the activists having a misinformed and headstrong shallow view of a different cultural problem, the "reality" is that the brown savages are cannibals.

I have really, really strong opinions about this film but like I won't waste the thread's time and you can read my original rant upon seeing it in here if you really want.

edit: And honestly, if I had any suspicions that Roth was coming from a more sympathetic place on this I'd remember he's the guy who remade Death Wish in 2018.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 8, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Liberal Idiot posted:

Thanks for the input, thread. Slumber Party Massacre it is.

I definitely recommend Lord of Illusions next. It's an insanely 90s Clive Barker movie with lots of awful CGI. It basically starts on a high note of crazy and just stays there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

At least Hundu's seen it, what do you think about the questions?

Re: Let's Scare Jessica to Death, I guess it's not gonna be added to the Prime add-on channel so I think I'm just gonna pay to rent it over the weekend. I've been wanting to see it for too long.

Also, Hatchet II and III are on Prime, so I watched Hatchet II and was surprised by how everything was hanging together really well for the first half of the movie. Like, I was really enjoying watching Tony Todd work and actually it felt like the movie was doing a nice job of developing a likeable group of characters, which is something a lot of slashers fail at. But then, as soon as the killings start, it became too relentlessly gross for me and definitely made it hard to enjoy from that point. I wish Green had more faith in his own directing talents that he would've leaned a little less on the practical effects gore showcase gimmick that the series became.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is straight up the worst horror film you have ever seen

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

The 2006 Cannibal. Absurdly bad on every technical level, a boring chore to watch, and homophobic to boot.

Giallo a Venezia is horrible as well, but it at least has the distinction of merely being awful rather than offensive.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Re: Let's Scare Jessica to Death, I guess it's not gonna be added to the Prime add-on channel so I think I'm just gonna pay to rent it over the weekend. I've been wanting to see it for too long.

when the gently caress is Shudder gonna get a PS4 app? I've been dying to watch The Reflecting Skin but it's not on amazon, not even to rent

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
edit: NEVERMIND the forums are messing with me

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is straight up the worst horror film you have ever seen

not even funny-bad or ironic bad, just straight up "gently caress this movie" bad

i'd have to rack my brain for a definitive answer but Slenderman is the worst in recent memory just because in addition to being bad in all the usual ways it was so underlit i genuinely couldn't tell what was going on for half of it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

edit: NEVERMIND the forums are messing with me

Yea it ate a post for a few minutes there. Forums have been kinda struggling for the past few days.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea it ate a post for a few minutes there. Forums have been kinda struggling for the past few days.

there’s no more room in hell and dead forums walk the earth

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It makes me mad that there are four Hatchet movies, and none of them live up to the fundamental concept of “back-to-basics villain-driven slasher.”

And I’ve said it before but the Victor Crowley design sucks and has zero creativity.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Obviously thread favourite Megan Is Missing should be mentioned among the worst. Maybe the Jeepers Creepers movies as well, though I haven't seen it or the sequels since the pedo stuff came out.

I remember All Superheroes Just Due being really awful too
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1836212/

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

It makes me mad that there are four Hatchet movies, and none of them live up to the fundamental concept of “back-to-basics villain-driven slasher.”

And I’ve said it before but the Victor Crowley design sucks and has zero creativity.

If you want another movie that sounds good on paper but misses and is made by the same team watch Digging Up the Marrow.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As someone who was a teenager in the late 90s, it's hard for me to imagine the worst horror movie not being one of those soulless Scream imitators like Urban Legend or Valentine.

Drunkboxer posted:

If you want another movie that sounds good on paper but misses and is made by the same team watch Digging Up the Marrow.

Oh man that was such a disappointment. The trailer had me expecting like Troll Hunter but with Ray Wise as the hunter guide, sadly it did not deliver.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

As someone who was a teenager in the late 90s, it's hard for me to imagine the worst horror movie not being one of those soulless Scream imitators like Urban Legend or Valentine.

i don't think Urban Legend is even as bad as I Know What You Did Last Summer, and that's still pretty far from the basement imo

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i don't think Urban Legend is even as bad as I Know What You Did Last Summer, and that's still pretty far from the basement imo

I Know What You Did Last Summer is on Netflix, and I tried to give it a rewatch and it takes like, 20-30 minutes to even get to the murder cover-up. It is sooooo slooooow.

Valentine isn’t good, but some of the kills are fun, and I actually think the Cupid mask looks decent for what it is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

Horrors of malformed men wrecks actually

Horrors of Malformed Men has it all, dopplegangers, mad scientists, secluded islands...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just think you have to take the budget and resources that the film had into account. No-budget indie horror flicks should get credit for the attempt and studio films with decent budgets and experienced actors should be docked extra points for failing despite having all of those advantages.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Drunkboxer posted:

I had such hopes for this one but it was pretty much a wet fart on film.

Since everyone's heard my rant and snort on how I feel about Cabin in the Woods, I'll go with something else for just bad film.

I can't remember the title for the life of me, but I'd rented it on VHS. It was French, and it started out with this woman getting caught with her lover by her husband in this huge mansion. Lover and husband kill each other and she ends up pregnant in an asylum. She ends up having a daughter who eventually inherits the mansion which of course is haunted and eventually her, her husband and the best friend who's visiting end up possessed by the ghosts and history repeats with it ending with her in a wheelchair sitting outside the mansion still hearing the ghosts. I'm not sure if it was a bad video transfer but everything was really dark and/or murky even in the daylight scenes that you weren't quite sure if you were seeing blood or just something wet on screen and the dubbing was the worst I've ever heard in a movie. If anyone has an idea what the title might be, I'd love to know. I keep wanting to say it was the Attic, but that was a different film altogether.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

There's a movie called The Incubus on amazon from 1982. I doubt I need to spoiler this but the monster rapes women to death. It's not extremely graphic but gently caress I've not felt that gross or uncomfortable watching a movie for awhile.

The cover art is loving awful in context with the tone of the movie

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 8, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hemale in pain posted:

There's a movie called The Incubus on amazon from 1982. I doubt I need to spoiler this but the monster rapes women to death. It's not extremely graphic but gently caress I've not felt that gross or uncomfortable watching a movie for awhile.

It does feature a pre-Iron Maiden Bruce Dickinson performing with Samson.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

flashy_mcflash posted:

Obviously thread favourite Megan Is Missing should be mentioned among the worst. Maybe the Jeepers Creepers movies as well, though I haven't seen it or the sequels since the pedo stuff came out.

nah Jeepers Creepers is fine, I actually like the first one a lot (the first half at least is really good, it gets less good towards the end). Salva is obviously terrible and I understand not wanting to watch his movies, but taken on their own they aren't bad and as far as I remember don't have any creepy poo poo in them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while, and I have not seen the third one so I can't comment on that.

Basebf555 posted:

yeah Urban Legend is garbage

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

nah Jeepers Creepers is fine, I actually like the first one a lot (the first half at least is really good, it gets less good towards the end). Salva is obviously terrible and I understand not wanting to watch his movies, but taken on their own they aren't bad and as far as I remember don't have any creepy poo poo in them. Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while, and I have not seen the third one so I can't comment on that.

Knowing what we do about Salva casts Jeepers Creepers in a different light, and you can see some subtext there that maybe wasn't as clear if you aren't thinking about the director's crimes. But no, it's nothing really overt that would make it impossible to enjoy the movie on it's own, if you don't know anything about Salva.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Demon Wind prequel looks slick as hell

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Knowing what we do about Salva casts Jeepers Creepers in a different light, and you can see some subtext there that maybe wasn't as clear if you aren't thinking about the director's crimes. But no, it's nothing really overt that would make it impossible to enjoy the movie on it's own, if you don't know anything about Salva.

I haven't seen it since the pedo stuff came out, so you're right I'm sure. at this point I probably won't rewatch it anytime soon so I'll take your word for it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

The first flick doesn’t really have anything overt.

The second has a bunch of high school boys sunbathing on top of a school bus, which is uhhhhhh

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

I think you undersell just how much rape there is in the movie. We're talking more rape than Humanoids of the Deep rape. Even when you don't see the rape rape is still happening somewhere in this rape movie about rape. That's how rape it is.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
That reminds me of Galaxy of Terror, where a guy gets raped to death by a giant alien maggot. I wanna say it's either Robert Englund or Sid Haig.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

That reminds me of Galaxy of Terror, where a guy gets raped to death by a giant alien maggot. I wanna say it's either Robert Englund or Sid Haig.

But galaxy of terror is good!

Also, your avatar is very pretty

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Something I liked about Slumber Party Massacre was how little work was put into mythologizing the killer. There's no effort put into building him up as anything other than a crazy guy with a power drill. But I guess when the imagery is that obviously phallic you don't have to do much else.

chitoryu12 posted:

I definitely recommend Lord of Illusions next. It's an insanely 90s Clive Barker movie with lots of awful CGI. It basically starts on a high note of crazy and just stays there.

This will be where I go next, thanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liberal Idiot posted:

Something I liked about Slumber Party Massacre was how little work was put into mythologizing the killer. There's no effort put into building him up as anything other than a crazy guy with a power drill. But I guess when the imagery is that obviously phallic you don't have to do much else.

That's one thing also that makes Black Christmas stand apart from Halloween. It's just a situation where a crazy person snuck into sorority house and...that's about it. It's mundane to the point that it feels very real and therefore terrifying.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

Shamefully, I own this and made people watch it with me.

I missed this before but why on earth would you own Monster Brawl?

If you did though, I could see it being slightly more palatable with friends. I can't stress what a mistake it was to shoot wrestling scenes with no crowd noise, anticipating that the theatre/viewing audience would provide that.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

I missed this before but why on earth would you own Monster Brawl?

If you did though, I could see it being slightly more palatable with friends. I can't stress what a mistake it was to shoot wrestling scenes with no crowd noise, anticipating that the theatre/viewing audience would provide that.

I seriously only bought it because I got on a kick of buying bad movies with wrestlers. Kevin Nash? Jimmy Hart? Kurrgan? sign me up!

That also got me to buy River Of Darkness. Holy poo poo that was a bad horror movie. It also felt like forever. But how many other movies feature Glacier in a speaking role?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

Demon Wind prequel looks slick as hell

At least I wasn't the only one thinking this. Still curious about it though.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

At least I wasn't the only one thinking this. Still curious about it though.

Yeah it legit looks good, but all I could think of was Demon Wind lol.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

No-budget indie horror flicks should get credit for the attempt and studio films with decent budgets and experienced actors should be docked extra points for failing despite having all of those advantages.

Hard disagree. You either make a good movie with the resources at your disposal or you don't. No lack of funds is going to seriously endanger the quality of your production as long as you go into it with the vision that, "This is as much as we have, so let's see how far we can go with it." The problem with most indie horror isn't the absence of advantages, it's that they are just as unimaginative and navel-gazing as the mainstream. And in that regard, there are too many game-changing films in the history of indie horror to give credit where it isn't due.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i never thought id say this but i actually agree with k. waste

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

That's one thing also that makes Black Christmas stand apart from Halloween. It's just a situation where a crazy person snuck into sorority house and...that's about it. It's mundane to the point that it feels very real and therefore terrifying.

Yeah, they don't even bother trying to hide the killer's face in SPM, and until he gives a little speech at the end he doesn't even get any real characterization.

K. Waste posted:

Hard disagree. You either make a good movie with the resources at your disposal or you don't. No lack of funds is going to seriously endanger the quality of your production as long as you go into it with the vision that, "This is as much as we have, so let's see how far we can go with it." The problem with most indie horror isn't the absence of advantages, it's that they are just as unimaginative and navel-gazing as the mainstream. And in that regard, there are too many game-changing films in the history of indie horror to give credit where it isn't due.

Horror's reputation as a cost-effective genre is to blame for a lot of this, I think. Too many hacks see it as their best chance to make a quick buck because conventional wisdom says horror fans aren't picky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Liberal Idiot posted:

Horror's reputation as a cost-effective genre is to blame for a lot of this, I think. Too many hacks see it as their best chance to make a quick buck because conventional wisdom says horror fans aren't picky.

Hell, I'm not picky! Not being picky is a good thing!

I have two caveats: If something is stupid, or something is boring. I will readily enjoy a stupid movie as long as it's not boring. I would just as well have a boring movie as long as it wasn't stupid.

But if your movie is both boring and stupid, I gotta say, I don't really care if it was made for 5,000 or 5,000,000.