Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Piano Maniac posted:

d leaving my current job of being a hotelman.
oh is that what theyre calling male prostitutes these days?

seriously though, congrats. stack those figgies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Second interview with the CTO today. I guess at this point it’s a “why shouldn’t we hire him” thing because the manager liked me enough to schedule a second with his boss.

:ohdear:

E: I mean, it’s just NOC Jocking so all I really have to do is avoid making GBS threads myself too obviously?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i kind of idly interviewed at this company where a bunch of people I like from current job have moved to over the past 6-9 months, and after video chats with the group director and hiring manager am getting an offer. it was a wild interviewing experience, like textbook definition of "hey i guess professional networking works", after giving me a formal offer theyre gonna open up an official job position and must leave it open for several days before they give it to me lmao

I'm pretty torn as I'm not exactly unhappy in current job, and will likely be getting promoted to a different type of role within the next month or two. then again there's a bunch of worrying signs in the org, not to mention all the coworkers i liked the most at currentjob are at this new place. probably going to come down to figgies, not a terrible problem to have

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Schadenboner posted:

Literally do anything else while you wait. I’m lucky in that I can :spergin: on useless minutiae really easily (I mean: go figure, rite?) so I can run out the clock on that sort of thing fairly easily.

Second interview went well and I was told to expect an offer from the parent company shortly and I'm all :f5h::ohdear::coffee:.

I can't take my own advice, the advice that said I was good at doing the thing that I'm currently completely failing to do.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

congrats schadenboner! what’s the difference between noc worker and sysadmin? is it that noc folks generally work off of playbooks, or only do IR and don’t write the automation/conf scripts/etc or something else?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Achmed Jones posted:

congrats schadenboner! what’s the difference between noc worker and sysadmin? is it that noc folks generally work off of playbooks, or only do IR and don’t write the automation/conf scripts/etc or something else?

The NOC would be a lot more monitoring than adminning (this is a step back careerwise) but I need a quiet job for a couple of years while I go back to school. And the place (that apparently will probably hire me :ohdear:) has interesting security and regulatory requirements that might let me put what I'm going to school for to use (this is how I'm self-justifying taking that step back).

:shrug:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cool, thank you for the info! also going back to school and having a chill job while you do it sounds rad, you’re gonna kick rear end

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Offer came through, slightly less money than I hoped for in base but it's OT-eligible and it sounds like it's both common and encouraged?

Now I get to hope that the background check comes up clean (other than terribad credit and my posting there's nothing to find but it always :ohdear:s the gently caress out of me).

E: Also it certainly beats funemployment.

:yotj:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 8, 2019

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Ugh, for the first time in my life I seem to be set to get multiple offers here and I have no idea which one to go with.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Go with the best one, OP

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

make a table of the most important factors to you (compensation, commute, hours, tech, culture, w/e) on one axis and the offers on the other, score each offer in each category, sum up the score, see what wins. add weighting factors if you want. if the results stay reasonably conclusive across different weighting schemes you've got a pretty clear winner

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

this is notably better than just a pros/cons list for each because pros/cons lists tend to treat each one uniquely and dont really tell you a lot about how they compare

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Dijkstracula posted:

lmao yeah and they started the interview by saying "so I'm sure you remember this encoding strategy from college, ..."

like my dude I went to a b-tier state school equivalent in canada, somehow I think we had different university experiences

I mean my take would be 'my degree is in HISTORY dude I remember poo poo about the taifa kingdoms period of al-Andalus, algorithms not so much'

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Bloody posted:

make a table of the most important factors to you (compensation, commute, hours, tech, culture, w/e) on one axis and the offers on the other, score each offer in each category, sum up the score, see what wins. add weighting factors if you want. if the results stay reasonably conclusive across different weighting schemes you've got a pretty clear winner

also if you do this and find yourself tweaking one side to make it greater than the other then go with the one you're tweaking

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

HoboMan posted:

Ugh, for the first time in my life I seem to be set to get multiple offers here and I have no idea which one to go with.

the one that pays most for the least amount of work

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Offer came through, slightly less money than I hoped for in base but it's OT-eligible and it sounds like it's both common and encouraged?

Now I get to hope that the background check comes up clean (other than terribad credit and my posting there's nothing to find but it always :ohdear:s the gently caress out of me).

E: Also it certainly beats funemployment.

:yotj:

Regular OT, paid or not, is a fantastic way to start hating life. But then again, literally anything is better than unemployment. Grats and look forward to seeing figures coming in rather than going out.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

Regular OT, paid or not, is a fantastic way to start hating life.

Way ahead of you!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Onsite interview #1 with rocket company went pretty well imo, we'll see if they wanna move forward.

I'm in SF now for onsite #2 with self driving car company... so we'll see how that goes. I know nothing about image processing or computer vision, I mostly work with services that shuffle data around, but thats what the job is for so hopefully they don't hold it against me that I don't know anything about self driving cars.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Not gonna know for sure until early next week but by some miracle I think I actually survived yesterday's debacle

Hiring manager just called me back with one more interviewish question ("why'd you leave oldjob?" I just told her "the industry sucked" which is, frrankly, true), talking about potential salary and what my timing situation is (2 months due to lease; less if we're willing to break it)

Fingers will have to remain crossed but this feels like a good sign--besides me blowing it on the figgies side, anyway, but i'd still make it to Six Figgies so gently caress it for now

(disapproval from here of the interview aside--that maybe something I think about going fowards)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
nice Ciaphas :) fingers crossed the deal gets sealed soon

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

git --new-job

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this whole thing does make me wonder what a genuinely good technical interview even is though. I thought the in person in December was pretty good with whiteboarded logic puzzles, basic code competence checks and talking about the company, but I honestly don’t know

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

After spending over a month just hanging out due to waiting for the law firm to process my visa, the paperwork is finally done and I start at newjob on Monday!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ciaphas posted:

this whole thing does make me wonder what a genuinely good technical interview even is though. I thought the in person in December was pretty good with whiteboarded logic puzzles, basic code competence checks and talking about the company, but I honestly don’t know

the secret is that nobody knows, at all

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DuckConference posted:

After spending over a month just hanging out due to waiting for the law firm to process my visa, the paperwork is finally done and I start at newjob on Monday!
:toot:

also, condolences. work sucks

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

how long is it reasonable to ask for to consider an offer?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HoboMan posted:

how long is it reasonable to ask for to consider an offer?

a few days to a week

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

this

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

anything longer than a week probably requires extenuating circumstances like medical imo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

what a ducking farce lmao

even if that falls through my doctors giving me a metroprolol scrip to help keep my heart calmer under pressure (and in general, BP is a touch high anyway) so good day overall :toot:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I’ve come around on swearing autocomplete, “ducking” as a sign of a phone post is kinda funny

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

even if that falls through my doctors giving me a metroprolol scrip to help keep my heart calmer under pressure (and in general, BP is a touch high anyway) so good day overall :toot:

yeah take care of your health!

it'll be good to have that when you start work again too

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Stay healthy, and hopefully you don't need the metroprolol for interview purposes in the near future.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just got my first pay check and signing bonus today directly into my bank account. Feels good.

Fish Ladder Theory
Jun 7, 2005

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

Looking for some advice. I'm leaving my job at a "startup" (post-ipo) voluntarily to get those figgies, on good terms. Last day is Friday, and I have an exit interview scheduled with HR where one of the agenda items is that they want me to sign this PIIA inventions assignment document before I leave.
[...]

just to follow up on this, during the meeting HR was very nice and asked whether I wanted to sign it??? and I said no, and they said they understood. So i didn't get to demand money, but I guess I got a happy ending. huh.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Fish Ladder Theory posted:

just to follow up on this, during the meeting HR was very nice and asked whether I wanted to sign it??? and I said no, and they said they understood. So i didn't get to demand money, but I guess I got a happy ending. huh.

my last job was desperate with this, but I was covered with a nda anyway so they just ended up with a document where I promise that I won’t talk about stuff for a year and they would have to demonstrate any losses due to me directly in order for me to be responsible (which was already in the nda)

there was a lot of quite emotional back and forth there which just went to demonstrate what sort of clueless idiots they were. I signed only because I did not want to burn bridges but god drat looking back at it now

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

there isn't one, someones technical skills are nearly impossible to judge without working with them for an extended period of time. it's easy to "study" for tech interviews which makes them nearly worthless

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Imo if someone is senior, you can tell a lot by having a frank discussion about their actual experiences and probing on the actual things they did and didn't do. Above junior level, stupid algo questions are near worthless unless they're are in the context of something they actually will be doing on the job.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I hope relocation doesn't end up being a sticking point--or rather I guess if it does I should dismiss the company from my mind and move on, but that still sucks :v:

Apparently the usual offering is max $5k reimbursement for relo stuff, but while my lease at this apartment ends on Apr 30, they require sixty days moveout notice, or else they charge 2mo rent ("lease buyout") plus $500 early termination, like $3k all told. I got the impression that they wanted to fill the position sooner than that, but breaking lease would leave only 2k in that particular pot, so we'll see I guess

(ed) Shouldn't worry about this on a Friday and without an offer of course, tell my brain that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Ciaphas posted:

what we have now is literally the best we know how to do, whiteboarding (or coderpad link) included. btw your question wasn't about some obscure algorithm, it was about how to convert a recursive program into an iterative one making use of an explicit stack. to disagree with everyone else in this thread, that's not an outlandish request of a programmer