Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Any suggested Pizza Peels to order from the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sextro posted:

Any suggested Pizza Peels to order from the internet?

This one has worked well for me

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wouldn’t mind some suggestions for rocker blades.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The baking steel is exceptionally good for stuff other than pizza, too, fwiw. Literally anything you want to make and have the bottom be nicer and crisped up? Just put it straight on the steel with some parchment or something on top. Other breads? Sure. Chicken fuckin nuggets? Absolutely. Roasted potatoes? You bet.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
First attempts using The Elements of Pizza methods (had started with FWSY before):

chorizo, mushroom, onion, garlic

fresh mozzarella, evoo, basil

fresh mozzarella, evoo, jamón serrano, arugula

Went well for the most part. Oven goes to 525, but no top broiler (one of those pull out bottom broilers), so I had to adjust for that a bit. Think I was stretching the dough a bit too thin in the very center on the first two. Also was using a new 0.5" thick cordierite pizza stone which seemed to be a noticeable improvement over the thin ceramic stone I was using before (which cracked despite no thermal shock).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 6, 2019

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Got a new oventhe other day - "Masterpro Ultimate Pizza Oven". the name makes it sound like a gaming mouse. picked it up for $120AUD new off of ebay

For some reason the reseller websites are saying it only does 300°C (570F) but the manual that came with it (and a few other websites) are showing up to 400°C (750F)

My old one (Breville Crispy Crust says it did about 350C. new one clocked in a higher temp with a 10 minute preheat than the old one did with a 20min preheat, pretty stoked. Couldn't measure the one one after 20mins (IR thermometer topped out at "HI") but after a couple minutes with the lid open cooling down it showed 340°C

anyway long story short here's pies

My old ones I used to "finish" with a blowtorch to get a char on the cornicione but with the new oven there's no need. Also cut the cook time down from 5min to 3min and they're still a bit more cooked, might try 2:30 instead

I tried adjusting my hydration to 65% down from 70%, but I reckon I'll go back to 70% for the next batch

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’m making Kenji’s NY dough again and it’s having the same problem as last time. This time I mixed it with a food processor though.

I’m letting it rest right now at my dad’s suggestion, to see if that helps.

Obviously it needs more kneading, but I’m worried it may have picked up too much flour from the counter, and that maybe that’s causing some elasticity problems? Is that a thing?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 8, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
how long did you let it fermet in the fridge? how long did you leave it out on the counter to warm up?

i always make mine in the kitchenaid mixer, divy it up into reditainers and pull it out after a few days

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

how long did you let it fermet in the fridge?

I haven’t put it in the fridge yet.

BraveUlysses posted:

how long did you leave it out on the counter to warm up?

It’s rested a total of about 35 or 40 minutes now.

It looks slightly more elastic than my first dough, but not a lot. My dad thinks that if I knead it anymore I’ll ruin it.

EDIT: Pics

EDIT 2:

BraveUlysses posted:

Are you planning on cooking it today

No, Sunday.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 8, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Are you planning on cooking it today

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Use the Pizza Bible recipe. It's the best NY style dough I've used. I use his dough and kenjis NY sauce with a little more tomato paste/sweetness.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What flour are you using?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

What flour are you using?

King Arthur bread flour. The stuff in the blue and white bag.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ShaneB posted:

Use the Pizza Bible recipe. It's the best NY style dough I've used. I use his dough and kenjis NY sauce with a little more tomato paste/sweetness.

I might do that next time but I feel like I need to get this one right first. Like it won’t be right if I don’t.

Also doesn’t the Pizza Bible recipe use a poolish or something? I need to get a glass bowl before I make that.

EDIT: gently caress didn’t mean to make this a double post

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I might do that next time but I feel like I need to get this one right first. Like it won’t be right if I don’t.

Also doesn’t the Pizza Bible recipe use a poolish or something? I need to get a glass bowl before I make that.

EDIT: gently caress didn’t mean to make this a double post

I make a poolish in a cereal bowl. You don't need anything fancy.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

ShaneB posted:

I make a poolish in a cereal bowl. You don't need anything fancy.

I mean that’s cool and all, and I’ll probably do that next time (I actually really fuckin want to buy the Pizza Bible next time I have some cash), but right now I just want to know how to save the dough I’m making now. I haven’t divided it or put it in the fridge yet so I’m hoping I can still do something with it.

My biggest issue last time I made pizza was that the dough didn’t stretch. We had to flatten it out with a rolling pin and it didn’t really have a crust.

Should I add water to it? Is that flour thing I mentioned earlier an issue?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 9, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

KABF is fine for pizza. Don't really know your method but when I make a simple pizza dough I add the ingredients, mix by spoon and maybe hand until all flour is hydrated, then 15-30 minutes later I do a series of folds in the bowl until smooth. Maybe I'll do more folds depending on expected rise time.

Has it rose? Do some folds.

/e- i assume since you used the food processor it's kneeded enough. Gluten exists and also has structure. You probably have not been able to get the correct structure if also incorporating enough flour during shaping to be a concern. Look up high hydration pre shaping and also slap and fold for working with high hydration dough. Stop adding flour when shaping beyond dusting your hand since I think you're just adding unhydrated/incorporated flour when doing your bench poo poo.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 9, 2019

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ogopogo posted:

did it again

cheese and a pepperoni on sourdough

I just want to stroll in and say this is a beauty.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's been cold, rainy, snowy where I live so I figured that was a good excuse to heat the entire house up via my sorta crappy gas range, make pizza, get drunk, play xbox.

Cheater dough recipe so feel free to shame me (flour to pizza in about 4 hours).

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I made pizza yesterday and apparently I still can’t shape the dough for poo poo. I had to flatten it all out with a rolling pin again because I couldn’t get it to stretch big enough when I tried to do it by hand.

Here’s a pic of one of my attempts to shape the dough by hand.

This is a little under 12 inches at the widest point. I couldn’t get it to stretch any bigger than that without it tearing.

I tried to follow Kenji’s instructions for shaping dough but it kept loving shrinking as I tried to stretch it, which pissed me off.

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong anymore. I really really want to learn how to shape pizza dough by hand to 14+ inches with a proper crust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I also learned that giving pizza a blast of wood smoke during cooking makes the cheese turn grey and weird-looking, but it still tastes good and also the crust tastes loving amazing. So that too.

More pics coming.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 11, 2019

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Tried an experiment with some leftover butter chicken. I used the gravy as the sauce, and put the chicken on top. Did this for half of the pan pizza:

Made one on the stone too, came out a little dark, but not quite burnt:

I liked how the chicken came out. I might add a little bit of the regular sauce too, as the transition pieces were nice. I'm a little disappointed in the cheese though, it wasn't my usual brand and was much moister than I like.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I don’t know what I’m doing wrong anymore. I really really want to learn how to shape pizza dough by hand to 14+ inches with a proper crust. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you shaping and resting and shaping again?

Otherwise if it's springing back right away, your dough may be too cold or it wasn't proofed long enough. Or lots of other things. doughs are finicky.

Without being able to touch it myself, it looks like it was underkneaded and/or proofed imo.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

I made pizza yesterday and apparently I still can’t shape the dough for poo poo. I had to flatten it all out with a rolling pin again because I couldn’t get it to stretch big enough when I tried to do it by hand.

This is a little under 12 inches at the widest point. I couldn’t get it to stretch any bigger than that without it tearing.

I tried to follow Kenji’s instructions for shaping dough but it kept loving shrinking as I tried to stretch it, which pissed me off.

Not sure if you've already mentioned it in an earlier post, but have you tried a different dough recipe? I have good success using Ken Forkish's recipes, and they are usually very wet, in the neighborhood of 70% hydration or more. At first glance, yours looks drier than I'm used to seeing.

Another side question: are you seeing good activity with your yeast? My sister was having a hell of a time with crappy bread until we figured out her yeast was too old.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Agreed that a wetter dough is helpful. Do you let it warm up to room temperature before stretching? That can take a while, up to a couple of hours. Try stretching it in a couple of steps, letting the dough rest in between. That makes a big difference for a stiff dough.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made pizza last sunday. Well four of them. Making pizza properly takes effort and time that I am not going to put in for one lousy pizza.

I went all in on the tomato sauce, caramelizing a buncha onions and letting the sauce simmer for hours, I think that worked out well.

This is my favorite (pepperonis, pineapple and loads of hot sauce)

I wonder is there anyone else who has problems with the dough getting too thin in the middle when you toss it?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Switched from a tipo 00 flour at 9.5g/100g of protein to a bread flour at 12.5/100g protein. much more elastic and chewier, and easier to stretch out too without pokin holes in em

pizza bianca with olive oil, fior di latte, mozzarella di bufala and some herbs

margherita with fior di latte, mozzarella di bufala and basil

mozzarella di bufala, rocket (arugula), prosciutto di parma, olive oil

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wonder is there anyone else who has problems with the dough getting too thin in the middle when you toss it?

Yep-I used to!

For me it had to do with how I was stretching the dough. I found this thread which has helped me immensely:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52334.0

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Casu Marzu posted:

Are you shaping and resting and shaping again?

No, I didn’t even realize that was a thing when shaping dough.

Casu Marzu posted:

Otherwise if it's springing back right away, your dough may be too cold or it wasn't proofed long enough. Or lots of other things. doughs are finicky.

I’m not sure about that. All three of my dough balls sat on the counter for between like 2.5 and 3 hours in a 70° house and they didn’t seem to have any trouble rising.

plester1 posted:

Not sure if you've already mentioned it in an earlier post, but have you tried a different dough recipe? I have good success using Ken Forkish's recipes, and they are usually very wet, in the neighborhood of 70% hydration or more. At first glance, yours looks drier than I'm used to seeing.

I’ve only ever used Kenji’s NY recipe, but I’d really love to try the Pizza Bible recipe somebody here mentioned earlier. Have any of y’all had better luck with that one than Kenji’s?

I’m wondering if maybe Kenji just sucks at telling people how to shape pizza dough.

plester1 posted:

Another side question: are you seeing good activity with your yeast? My sister was having a hell of a time with crappy bread until we figured out her yeast was too old.

My dough never had any trouble rising so I think the yeast was fine.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Agreed that a wetter dough is helpful. Do you let it warm up to room temperature before stretching? That can take a while, up to a couple of hours.

Like I said above, the dough sat at room temperature (70°) for 2.5 to 3 hours before I tried to shape it.

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Try stretching it in a couple of steps, letting the dough rest in between. That makes a big difference for a stiff dough.

I’ll keep this in mind for next time.

His Divine Shadow posted:

*raises hand although I don’t really know how to toss good*

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m not sure about that. All three of my dough balls sat on the counter for between like 2.5 and 3 hours in a 70° house and they didn’t seem to have any trouble rising.

Like I said above, the dough sat at room temperature (70°) for 2.5 to 3 hours before I tried to shape it.

If the dough never got below room temperature, and you did one rest as individual balls before forming, then it's possible to be able to shape it without an intermediate rest. It takes a certain tact so it's going to be easier to start on them and then revisit them a few minutes later, but you could do it. I wonder about the original knead. Did it pass the windowpane test?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Some half hour dough here, from zero to pizza in 40-45 mins. Lazy mans pizza.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

What's the easiest way to clean my pizza steel that was done on a goon run back in the day?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I've just left mine in the oven during a self-clean cycle.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use a grill stone

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Crosspost from the dinner thread. Forkish's 24-48h dough, Neapolitan technique (550 oven, broiler, steel, cook 4 minutes with just dough/sauce, finish under broiler after dressing with rest of ingredients.)

Classic Margeritha

Prosciutto

Prosciutto with garlic

Burrata with arugula

Margeritha with extra cheese

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

We've had ghastly weather here for the last...6 months, and to top if off, the wind blew the door off of my outdoor oven and shattered the glass - while I'm waiting for tolerable outdoor temperatures (and a plate of tempered glass from Italy), I bit my thumb, bought a bag of regular bread flour (I've tried this before with Caputo 00 and it just doesn't work), and gave a "greasy, corner slice" style of pie a shot (my wife likes it better than neapolitan anyways). I also needed to get rid of about a lb. of traditional pepperoni I bought way too much of at the butcher:

Made 3 pies, about 375g of dough each. 63% hydration, plain old King Arthur bread flour. 3% salt, ~.15% yeast, 3% oil.

About a 3 day bulk cold rise, almost a whole day room temperature rise as balls. I messed up and should have bulk proofed the dough at least an hour or so before putting it in the fridge - my IDY is like 2 years old and is definitely not as strong as it used to be. I pulled the dough out of the fridge and panicked a bit; it had barely risen at all. I balled it, and let it sit at room temperature for like 8 hours - still almost nothing. Really panicking, I put the proofing tray in the oven I had heated to about 90 degrees - then let the tray sit on top of the oven while it pre-heated to 550 for an hour or so. By 8PM, the balls were still really under-risen, but the pies turned out surprisingly good. I'd go another % on the oil, actually; I had to bake them a bit too long (no idea the time, I just watch them) - so they were more crispy and less "foldable" than the Sbarro kind of pie I was going for. Still really good, and drat the real-deal pepperoni is insanely worth it if you can get it.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 25, 2019

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Looking back through my posts in this thread, thought I'd hit a couple revelations that have totally changed my pizza game over the years:

I had no idea about proofing the dough - I figured you could rise it, beat it up, and still get a nice crust - nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4lL5I-UYbk&t=81s
This guy's video is actually really good (his whole channel is) if you can ignore the music; the big takeaways here are:

1.) You can make a pizza dough in 2 hours, or 2 weeks. It all depends on your yeast, which you can tweak to no end.
2.) Always, always, always do a final rise with the dough portioned and shaped into balls. They should at least double in size during this step. If they don't, you goofed somewhere previously (see previous post)
3.) Once the balls have risen, handle them GENTLY. I used to pound them out to get the bubbles out, because they would burn (which is why my pies earlier in the thread are so flat looking). Watch how he scoops up the dough with the paint scraper - most proofing trays come with a similar tool. Honestly, using proofing trays were the biggest step forward in my dough.
4.) Once the ball is nice and floured, remember, you're trying to keep the air inside the dough - watch how he starts from the center and gently presses the air out into the crust; he's not pinching, or "forming a disc" like a lot of lovely internet recipes say - he's coaxing the air from the inside out with gentle pressure. This was HUGE for me. This technique works (and is critical for) all styles, including Neapolitan, NY, New Haven, etc.
5.) Remember, you're trying to keep the air in the dough - so err on the side of being gentle. Dressing the the pie THEN moving it to the peel, with a final size-adjustment, actually does work much better (which is why it's how it's done in basically every good pizzeria)

FWIW I still can't do the "slap" style of stretching the dough - I just drape the dough over my knuckles after pressing the air to the crust and let gravity do the work. Another easy way is to let the dough hang over the edge of a countertop and rotate it evenly.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 25, 2019

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

forbidden dialectics posted:

FWIW I still can't do the "slap" style of stretching the dough - I just drape the dough over my knuckles after pressing the air to the crust and let gravity do the work. Another easy way is to let the dough hang over the edge of a countertop and rotate it evenly.

Using a square dish towel to practice your Neapolitan slap helps a ton without having to sacrifice dough! Once you get the motion and speed down it gets to be a groove kinda thing.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

Is the recommendation still for The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish? Steel[/url].

I opened Google Play Books today and noticed that The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish is CAD$2.99. I don't recall it being that cheap before but I've got the play credit. So with that and that I've been doing this for about 8 years now, is it a good buy? Some reviews indicate it's more of a starter book which might not be as useful to me now.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
The brief window of time where the weather is perfect in Vegas means as many backyard pizzas as possible.

Sourdough cheese

Sourdough cheese with pickled red onions and garlic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Heners_UK posted:

I opened Google Play Books today and noticed that The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish is CAD$2.99. I don't recall it being that cheap before but I've got the play credit. So with that and that I've been doing this for about 8 years now, is it a good buy? Some reviews indicate it's more of a starter book which might not be as useful to me now.

At $3 you can't really go wrong.

It is more of a starter book, but the recipes and techniques are good, and it covers a wide variety of pizza styles. Everything is tailored to achieving results in a typical home oven (e.g. that caps out at around 525 F), so for example, you don't need a fancy pizza oven to attempt his Neapolitan (and his dough recipes are adjusted compared to a traditional Neapolitan dough to account for this).