Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The MSJ posted:

I mean, in real life there's apparently millions in cryptocurrency that cannot be used because the creator was the only one who knew the password and he's dead.
Is this a problem with password protection or a problem with bitcoin?

Anyway, the character who is trying to protect the thing is not particularly concerned with the problem of future generations being unable to access it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I mean, in real life there's apparently millions in cryptocurrency that cannot be used because the creator was the only one who knew the password and he's dead.

I assume you are talking about Quadriga? To the absolute surprise of nobody, those wallets were cleared out before he went on the run and got murderised.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Martman posted:

Altered Carbon season 1 was already completely idiotic.

"Hmm, we live in a fancy sci-fi world where people can and do switch bodies easily and frequently. I, the richest man in the world, need to protect some of my valuables. Oh, I know! I'll get a safe that unlocks by checking my DNA. Yep, there's definitely no way this could go wrong. What? Just use a password that only I know? Nah, too old-fashioned." And of course, only the main character's brilliance is capable of noticing the problem.

Yes. BUT. It was cool.

Well, mostly. I feel like the good stuff transcended the bad, but I couldn't fault anyone for ragging on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Collateral posted:

I assume you are talking about Quadriga? To the absolute surprise of nobody, those wallets were cleared out before he went on the run and got murderised.

Some people think he faked his death and went John McAfee somewhere.

Netflix will probably make a movie about it soon.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
India would be a good place to do it, so that does make some sense.

How easy will it be for him to sell that many bitcoins?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I feel like Umbrella Academy is a very strong recommend if you like any or all of: Misfits, Happy!, Rushmore

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Criterion Channel's Movie of the Week

https://twitter.com/criterionchannl/status/1103354962375979010

Is Barbara Loden's Wanda (1970)

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
S3 of Hap and Leonard!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't recognize it, but drat good movie.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

So, has anyone checked out The Order on Netflix?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
"Everyone knows that The Order of the Blue Rose is fake news" is the moment from the he trailer that I decided not to watch it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That's funny as gently caress coming from HBO as they slowly swirl down the toilet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HBO has more Jody Hill shows coming, they’re standing taller than anyone else

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Any word on what his next one is?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

CelticPredator posted:

I just love that HBO pretty much lets Larry David and Jody Hill do whatever they want on their own terms and schedule.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

Any word on what his next one is?

Yeah. It’s called The Righteous Gemstones, about a dysfunctional televangelist family. McBride stars with John Goodman as his dad. Should be dropping this year

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

That's funny as gently caress coming from HBO as they slowly swirl down the toilet.

Right? Isn't this the guy who wants HBO to double their output while freely admitting that it will affect quality? If "prestige" isn't HBO's brand then what the hell is?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

If "prestige" isn't HBO's brand then what the hell is?

tits?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah. It’s called The Righteous Gemstones, about a dysfunctional televangelist family. McBride stars with John Goodman as his dad. Should be dropping this year

poo poo yeah I'm there. Televangelism sounds like the perfect excuse to get some crazy performances. Any word if Goggins has a role?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Through history so far I would rather pay for HBO and ignore Netflix (and in fact this is what I've done) but I have no confidence in that guy to not bleed HBO to death for his bonus.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don’t really see what is supposed to make HBO stand out anymore, yeah they have a few good shows every year, but so does Netflix and amazon and Hulu. I don’t think the quality of content really exceeds any of the other services at this point, unless you count prestige stuff everyone has already watched. And the amount of content they offer is dwarfed by every other service. Yet they remain the most expensive one.

If nothing else HBO needs more competitive pricing but I guess they can’t undercut a cable sub with their streaming.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
From an originals standpoint, neither have produced anything I want to see in a very long time. From a Hollywood films standpoint, HBO’s legacy business model of airing movies weeks after they were sold in stores never pissed of the movie studios like Netflix essentially federating the neighborhood Blockbuster that’s always out of stock and having enough copies of new movies for everyone. If you can’t remember the days when discs by mail was the lion’s share of their business, the studios kept wanting exclusivity windows etc, which is something HBO always afforded them (Blockbuster and public libraries didn’t, but again, not federated, only so many copies in your town.)

This stuff became less relevant due to iTunes, and yet still: Studios have always felt threatened for their existence by Netflix, but long felt chummy with HBO.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 8, 2019

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe it’s because I don’t remember the bad stuff but I remember a time when HBO was pumping some really good original movies around once a quarter at least.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

If you can’t remember the days when discs by mail was the lion’s share of their business...
Netflix still makes a profit from their DVD service.

Their streaming service sometimes takes years to get movies once they're released on DVD, if they actually get it on their streaming service at all. Their DVD service gets them almost immediately. I still have a subscription to their DVD service because of this.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 8, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Craptacular! posted:

From an originals standpoint, neither have produced anything I want to see in a very long time. From a Hollywood films standpoint, HBO’s legacy business model of airing movies weeks after they were sold in stores never pissed of the movie studios like Netflix essentially federating the neighborhood Blockbuster that’s always out of stock and having enough copies of new movies for everyone. If you can’t remember the days when discs by mail was the lion’s share of their business, the studios kept wanting exclusivity windows etc, which is something HBO always afforded them (Blockbuster and public libraries didn’t, but again, not federated, only so many copies in your town.)

This stuff became less relevant due to iTunes, and yet still: Studios have always felt threatened for their existence by Netflix, but long felt chummy with HBO.

With Netflix anyone in your family can watch films anytime and anywhere they want for the price of a single film ticket. This wasn't the case with HBO.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crows Turn Off posted:

Netflix still makes a profit from their DVD service.

Their streaming service sometimes takes years to get movies once they're released on DVD, if they actually get it on their streaming service at all. Their DVD service gets them almost immediately. I still have a subscription to their DVD service because of this.

I'm honestly a little surprised that people still sub to their DVD service but I guess different people have different priorities. If I want to watch something really specific, which pans out to being once a month tops. In that case I'm happy to just pay $1-5 to rent it off amazon and I can watch it right away.

maybe I've just become accustomed to watching whatever is immediately available to me though. There's just too much poo poo to watch now. Something has to really pique my interest for me to go and seek it out on my own, which still happens, but not to the extent it used to. At any given time there's like 50 things I want to watch, half of them are included in some subscription I have, and I have time to watch 5 of them.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

10 Beers posted:

So, has anyone checked out The Order on Netflix?

I turned it off after 15 minutes when the main character showed how cool and smart he was by flirting with the school tour guide while showing how dumb she was and how she didnt know anything.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

And dragons.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I don't know about S3 of Hap and Leonard. So much randomness at the end.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Lycus posted:

I don't know about S3 of Hap and Leonard. So much randomness at the end.

The way the Florida mystery unfolded was really hard to swallow. A human being with a severe TBI surviving in a locked car truck for what, a week? And they let her out and she was basically fine?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Filthy Hans posted:

The way the Florida mystery unfolded was really hard to swallow. A human being with a severe TBI surviving in a locked car truck for what, a week? And they let her out and she was basically fine?

And it having almost nothing to do with the rest of the season. Just a freak accident? And then another random thing happens and she dies anway? Ehh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Assuming the accusations in Finding Neverland are true (I'm not gonna assume they are or aren't true though) , the parents in this might give the ones in Abducted in Plain Sight a run for their money.

Apparently it was a really easy to be a child molestor in the 80's. That's my takeaway from all this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Assuming the accusations in Finding Neverland are true (I'm not gonna assume they are or aren't true though) , the parents in this might give the ones in Abducted in Plain Sight a run for their money.

Apparently it was a really easy to be a child molestor in the 80's. That's my takeaway from all this.

I found it really hard not to believe them, especially the one who is rich as gently caress and has pretty much nothing to gain from speaking out now

I've heard the old "he's told different stories" defense and it's like... lying about what happened and being in denial about it are extremely common when a person of power abuses a young person with no power

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My issue is less that I don't believe them and more related to my general discomfort with the era of trial by public opinion we live in right now.

I'm honestly inclined to think everything in the doc is true. I don't see what either of them have to gain from it, and there is some really damning stuff in there. At the same time he was exonerated in court and he's dead and there is no real 100% way to know the truth.

I guess my opinion on MJ is totally unchanged from what it was before watching Leaving Neverland. He was a really weird guy with mental health problems, who had some pretty unnatural relationships with kids, and was most likely a child molestor, but no one will ever know for sure.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Formula 1: Drive to Survive looks absolutely stunning in 4K. Could be that I'm still getting used to my new tv, but the on-board camera shots are really something else.

Nice to get a look behind the curtain of the teams (Excluding Ferrari and Mercedes)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
You can believe the accusers and see the doc as one sided. The director already said he wasn’t going to seek out Macaulay or other people who said Michael didn’t molest them as kids, allegedly because he wanted to focus on these people and their stories and not make it about Jackson’s guilt, but the public was going to do that anyway.

The story has always remained the same that whether or not he did touch kids inappropriately, the parents of those kids were loving stupid. So loving stupid, that it always just sort of muddied the picture because the kids really have no power in this situation and the irresponsible parents are just as enabling.

I’m not sure what coming forward now is supposed to accomplish, since the only thing that might change is the industry to Disney Vault his back-catalog again.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Lycus posted:

And it having almost nothing to do with the rest of the season. Just a freak accident? And then another random thing happens and she dies anway? Ehh.

the freak accident actually made sense since anyone who listened to the blues recording was cursed and she had just listened to it, the rest of it was bullshit though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Larry Charles' Dangerous World of Comedy is pretty good but holy poo poo gently caress the episode about the USA. gently caress Boonk and especially gently caress taking him seriously. And then the alt-right guys... ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Now that I'm finishing up part 2, I have to admit it's pretty hard to give MJ the benefit of the doubt in any way, shape or form. I feel like I want to keep a neutral stance considering a lot of factors, but deep down it's hard to believe any of this poo poo isn't true.