Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Just awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I know the common reputation of season 9 is when The Simpson’s began it’s downfall but I figured that it was nerds being nerds. It’s a little surprising how deficient the writing has gotten to be only seven episodes in to the season.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Old Swerdlow posted:

I know the common reputation of season 9 is when The Simpson’s began it’s downfall but I figured that it was nerds being nerds. It’s a little surprising how deficient the writing has gotten to be only seven episodes in to the season.

I said in this thread almost a year ago that revisiting the show via Talking Simpsons was making me notice the sweaty post-peak tendencies I associate with early 2000's era episodes started cropping up in "the good ones." Even recognizing that now, the Scully era has proved to be a rough transition. There are still a few good episodes and great jokes/character moments in this season, but there's also way more trash than I had remembered.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Old Swerdlow posted:

join the one true faith of "gently caress anything after season 8"

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I think the episode where Bart raises two lizards is the last episode of golden age quality.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think the episode where Bart raises two lizards is the last episode of golden age quality.

Phil Hartman's final appearance. Checks out.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Blatant Saddlesore Galactica erasure.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pope Guilty posted:

The alt - right reading of the Lisa scene is correct, which is why that scene sucks.

What episode is this?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

SgtSteel91 posted:

What episode is this?

Bart Star. They write a scene where Lisa turns into Haley from American Dad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

No, it's The Joy of Sect.

And the rot starts in season six with the uneven quality of Homer Badman, Fear of Flying, Bart vs Australia, and Lisa's Wedding. None of them are entirely bad but they're all slips from the heights of seasons 3-5.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

No, it's The Joy of Sect.

And the rot starts in season six with the uneven quality of Homer Badman, Fear of Flying, Bart vs Australia, and Lisa's Wedding. None of them are entirely bad but they're all slips from the heights of seasons 3-5.

who hurt you

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hey let's nip the millionth 'when did the simpsons get bad' argument on the internet and instead get hype over talking of the hill starting on march 15th :toot:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

hey let's nip the millionth 'when did the simpsons get bad' argument on the internet and instead get hype over talking of the hill starting on march 15th :toot:

Naw it's gonna happen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Brother Entropy posted:

I can't wait! Hulu couldn't have got the show at a better time.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pope Guilty posted:

Bart vs Australia

That’s the best episode you drongo

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Wrestlepig posted:

That’s the best episode you drongo

It's a handful of good jokes wrapped around incredibly generic, poorly-executed Australian jokes and you can chart a downward path from it through Homer vs NYC and Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo and down into Simpson Safari.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

No it's great

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pope Guilty posted:

It's a handful of good jokes wrapped around incredibly generic, poorly-executed Australian jokes and you can chart a downward path from it through Homer vs NYC and Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo and down into Simpson Safari.

The whole entire joke of the episode is the lame generic Australian jokes. That's like it's whole thing. It's what makes it hilarious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

That is, literally, the entire joke. Like, they start it with the prime minister literally just some dude in a tube in a lake getting hollered at. It's entirely framed as 'we're just gonna make some easy Australian jokes tonight folks'. The problem with those other episodes is they try to do...other stuff...when really all they need is 'here's some dumb jokes'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also if that episode didn't make you start slipping in 'dollarydoos' to describe money you are dead inside.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The New York episode is loving phenomenal and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I guess I just want more than "here's the laziest, hackiest, least original jokes that everybody already made". The NYC and Australia episodes are the least lovely because there's also other jokes ("Kickin' It" is goddamned amazing), but eventually they weren't even trying at all and I'd be lying if I said the safari and Japan episodes were any more execrable than the other episodes in those seasons.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The New York episode is loving phenomenal and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Of course that episodes is bad if you only remember the pimps and the chuds

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

"Mr Prime Minister!"

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAANDY!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

"Kickin' It" is goddamned amazing

Checking In?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Riptor posted:

Checking In?

"Checking In" is the name of the opening number, Kickin' It: A Musical Journey through the Betty Ford Center is the full name of the musical :eng101:

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Ah nice

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would have called them Chazzwazzers

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
I’m up to Summer of 4’2” and I don’t know who this artist person is that they have on as a guest but holy poo poo is she the most awkward annoying person I’ve ever heard in my life. The episode is two hours long because of her completely random, unrelated stories. Yikes.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
You sir are very wrong.

And will hate many future episodes.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

britishbornandbread posted:

I’m up to Summer of 4’2” and I don’t know who this artist person is that they have on as a guest but holy poo poo is she the most awkward annoying person I’ve ever heard in my life. The episode is two hours long because of her completely random, unrelated stories. Yikes.

Hi that's me, sorry you didn't like my appearance. I have definitely felt guilty for making episodes go on for way too long but on the flip side, a lot of people have said they like my tangents (and my own taste leans toward podcasts peppered with personal anecdotes), so different strokes for different folks! Feel free to skip my future appearances. If you don't like this ep, you won't like my other ones.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 9, 2019

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nina Matsumoto is good, actually.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

zari-gani posted:

Hi that's me, sorry you didn't like my appearance. I have definitely felt guilty for making episodes go on for way too long but on the flip side, a lot of people have said they like my tangents (and my own taste leans toward podcasts peppered with personal anecdotes), so different strokes for different folks! Feel free to skip my future appearances. If you don't like this ep, you won't like my other ones.

Honestly, I think you're one of the better guests on the show.
You bring in new topics of Simpsons discussion instead of just agreeing with Bob and Henry all the time.

When they have the lefty podcasters on it just becomes (an even bigger) political circlejerk.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 10, 2019

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

zari-gani posted:

Hi. Upon reflection perhaps I was slightly harah, but I’m selfishly annoyed that this is the first TS I’ve not completed. Clearly you’re exceptional in your field and that is why you’ve worked to where you are presently, and you have sometime to bring when it comes to the Simpsons’ universe, I just have no interest in comics, animations, manga et al. The discussion about Simpsons fan sites in the 90s/00s was just jarring. In recent episodes we’ve had the singer from the Y Axes and the Indian American (apologies for lack of names, on phone and poor signal) I just felt the extra curricular discussions in this particular episode added nothing.

Looking at the replies my post is getting, clearly I’m a minority. I wouldn’t worry!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Hi. Upon reflection perhaps I was slightly harah, but I’m selfishly annoyed that this is the first TS I’ve not completed. Clearly you’re exceptional in your field and that is why you’ve worked to where you are presently, and you have sometime to bring when it comes to the Simpsons’ universe, I just have no interest in comics, animations, manga et al. The discussion about Simpsons fan sites in the 90s/00s was just jarring. In recent episodes we’ve had the singer from the Y Axes and the Indian American (apologies for lack of names, on phone and poor signal) I just felt the extra curricular discussions in this particular episode added nothing.

Looking at the replies my post is getting, clearly I’m a minority. I wouldn’t worry!

Thank you for your level-headed reply! I would argue that the discussions I brought were relevant -- my comic and manga work we talked about are official Simpsons comics, and animation... well, it's an animated show we're discussing, so that's naturally going to come up. A lot of Talking Simpsons is about nostalgia and sharing stories about where we were when the episode in question first aired, and in my case, I was knee-deep in the Simpsons fansite community with a site entirely themed around the episode we were discussing.

For what it's worth, this was my first appearance and Bob and Henry were getting to know me better so we ended up going a little long with my intro. My other appearances since then gets to the episode discussion a lot sooner. (Except "Brother From Another Series" which ends up becoming half Talking Frasier.)

Anyway, can't say your comment didn't sting a little bit, but I've seen a lot of people say I should be a permanent host on the show (don't worry that's NOT going to happen and I very much disagree with them) so I'll be okay.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 10, 2019

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I had no idea you had an account here. Is sa where you met bob because he criticized a donald duck picture you drew or whatever it was?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Kly posted:

I had no idea you had an account here. Is sa where you met bob because he criticized a donald duck picture you drew or whatever it was?

Yeah I'm a mega-lurker and haha, close -- it was Twitter, and he criticized my Disney Afternoon Collection cover. You can actually hear him tell the story on our guest appearance on Sneaky Dragon (1:47:15 mark): https://www.sneakydragon.com/podcast/sneaky-dragon-episode-363/

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

I would certainly never mean to personally offend, upset or sting. But in a thread about the show, I felt at the time I had to give my feedback. I’m just one of tens, if not hundreds of thousands of listeners to the show. If you’ve been receiving overwhelmingly positive feedback then clearly I’m in the minority.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hi Nina, reiterating my request that you collect and translate every Japanese episode title; thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Hi Nina, reiterating my request that you collect and translate every Japanese episode title; thank you.

Season 9:
Homer's New York Tale / Seymour's Unknown Secret / The Sax is Lisa's Treasure / Halloween Special 8 ~World of Horror~ / Homer's Great Gun Strife / Bart the Quarterback / Apu's Wedding / Big Discovery! An Angel Fossil? / Marge's Realty Business / Christmas of Nightmares / A Musical With Lives on the Line / Uninvited Guests / A Mysterious Cult Appears / The Elementary School Model U.N. Club Castaway Story / Krusty is Out of Touch? / Moe's Search for a Girlfriend / Is Lisa a Genius? Or Ordinary? / Ralph and Bart are Friends / Captain Simpson / Homer's Great Spy Plan / News Anchor Bart vs Lisa / Springfield's Garbage Wars / Homer's Diet to the Limit / Lisa's Solo Bus Experience / Natural Born Kissers