Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I thought Captain Marvel was decent.

Definitely not the best MCU film, but better than Thor 2 and Black Panther. Better than Iron Man 2 as well now that I think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Lol that Thanos 2 is a direct sequel to Captain Marvel, so after all this ‘universe’ poo poo you can just watch the two latest movies and not really miss anything.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Martman posted:

Wait is Captain Marvel supposed to be gay? I'm confused. Or am I just missing :thejoke: about Top Gun being super gay
Mild movie spoilers

Carol and Maria lived together prior to the events that kicked off the movie, and basically raised Maria’s daughter together. It’s very reminiscent of a gay couple, and at one point there’s a scene where a dramatic kiss wouldn’t have been out of place. It feels like a group of writers strongly pushed for them to be gay in early drafts, but someone at Disney said “hell no.” But maybe I’m reading too much into it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lol that Thanos 2 is a direct sequel to Captain Marvel, so after all this ‘universe’ poo poo you can just watch the two latest movies and not really miss anything.
You don't even need to see Captain Marvel to be honest. When Carol shows up in Avengers next month you can just put a text box over her that says [Watch Captain Marvel #1 to see what Carol did on Summer Vacation].

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It'll be a slow mo scene to sudden stop and then a Stan Lee VO saying that with EXCELSIOR as the signoff.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Leaked footage of the Cinematic Universe payoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq8WlzUDgqA

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

got any sevens posted:

Its funny because the actual film doesnt glorify the military at all, she's always insulted by guys and her wife says the air force would only let women fly test planes
Its also funny the studio didnt want the girls to kiss on screen. Cant risk boycotts from chuds
Man surprising that the Air Force would sign off on it, especially given that's the batshit insane cult part of our military (well at least tied with the Marines)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Fart City posted:

It's very much this, sincerely. Carol Danvers was a B-team player for a very long time, even as recently as Bendis' run on New Avengers, but there was a sudden corporate push to make her a AAA character. It's like Marvel woke up one day and realized they had no Wonder Woman. Then they proceeded to poo poo all over her forced character development with stuff like Civil War II.

a big part of it is the fact that carol danvers's backstory is absolutely horrible even by the standards of comic backstories. like, raped and brainwiped by her own mind-controlling half-alien son, who she then basically marries terrible

captain marvel is one of those characters where marvel wants to take advantage of their huge backlog of characters but does not under any circumstances want you to go back and read any of the stories they came from

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Captain Marvel was decent. Exceptional 90’s soundtrack, a lot of “holy poo poo the internet and computers were terrible back then” gags, and Ben Mendelsohn hamming things up with a less cyncial,
wisecracking Nick Fury (who had not yet had his personality crushed into dust via a decade plus of top secret intergalctic chicanery).

I also loved Kree Team Six and the shots of Hala. It reminded me of the opening of Man of Steel and the shots of Kypton and how I wanted to see that movie, instead.

Brie Larson was fine. I’ve seen her give good performances in other films, but I just feel like she was sleepwalking through this one. Maybe it was just the way the character was written.

Goose the Cat stole the drat show, though.

I’d definitely recommend seeing it at a matinee showing. IMAX if possible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I should also add that Disney has perfected the de-aging CGI process.

They’ve totally mastered it. Sam Jackson, for 2+ hours, looked like Die Hard 3 Sam Jackson. It was amazing and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if you didn’t know any better. Now, granted, they had a living template that was accented with digital technology to work with. It’ll be interesting to see if they can up their game in the “This person is dead but they’re in this movie” department, because that is still very much not perfected....yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gonz posted:

I should also add that Disney has perfected the de-aging CGI process.

They’ve totally mastered it. Sam Jackson, for 2+ hours, looked like Die Hard 3 Sam Jackson. It was amazing and you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference if you didn’t know any better. Now, granted, they had a living template that was accented with digital technology to work with. It’ll be interesting to see if they can up their game in the “This person is dead but they’re in this movie” department, because that is still very much not perfected....yet.

There were a few times I noticed particularly after he lost his eye, the way they shaded/hide it really drew it out but yeah, it was largely disturbingly good.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ImpAtom posted:

There were a few times I noticed particularly after he lost his eye, the way they shaded/hide it really drew it out but yeah, it was largely disturbingly good.

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet so I can't really compare the two, but they did something similar in Thor: Ragnarok and it looked like crap there, too. Maybe they just suck at that particular kind of effect.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Grendels Dad posted:

I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet so I can't really compare the two, but they did something similar in Thor: Ragnarok and it looked like crap there, too. Maybe they just suck at that particular kind of effect.

Yeah that part of Ragnarok was pretty weird. Like, that's not how it would look at all. Ragnarok owns though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Ragnarok sucks. They couldn't even live up to the title.

Just waiting for someone to say it looks like metal album covers or van art.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Which part of Ragnarok was that?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which part of Ragnarok was that?

I didn't mention it because it would indirectly spoiler Captain Marvel, I'm talking about Thor losing his eye. I swear I could see his eye afterwards in several shots, it looked like they just slapped some CG paint over it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Marvel's Captain Marvel now has its own thread.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I think it's possible that a realistic looking, gaping, bloody hole where an eye used to be is just too much gore for a PG13 Disney movie, and the effects people did the best they could under the constraints

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Members of James Gunn's Suicide Squad not named Deadshot and Harley.

Ratcatcher - Male character in comics, female in the movie. Loves poison gas and can control rats. Deadshot treats her like a surrogate daughter.
King Shark - More or less a Street Shark. People thinks he's a mutated human, but he thinks his father was a shark god. Because this is Gunn movie, his mother probably shagged a Trench-person.
Polka-Dot Man - Has polka dots on his body that can become fireballs and other weapons. Very embarrassed by his own power. Voted most likely to die by most people.
Peacemaker - He loves peace so much he would kill people. Gunn wants Bautista to play him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The MSJ posted:

Ratcatcher - Male character in comics, female in the movie. Loves poison gas and can control rats. Deadshot treats her like a surrogate daughter.
King Shark - More or less a Street Shark. People thinks he's a mutated human, but he thinks his father was a shark god. Because this is Gunn movie, his mother probably shagged a Trench-person.
Polka-Dot Man - Has polka dots on his body that can become fireballs and other weapons. Very embarrassed by his own power. Voted most likely to die by most people.
Peacemaker - He loves peace so much he would kill people. Gunn wants Bautista to play him.

So there's definitely going to be a scene of King Shark killing a bunch of dudes set to "Baby Shark" right?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I expect a Jason Momoa cameo as Aquaman capturing King Shark, like the Flash and Batman cameos in the first movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The MSJ posted:

Maybe this time they can do the joke where someone good with rope would have been super useful.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Peacemaker being in 2icide Squad has already sold me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MonsieurChoc posted:

Maybe this time they can do the joke where someone good with rope would have been super useful.

They should keep bringing back Ropeman and draw no attention to the fact he dies ten minutes in every movie.

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe
No, read the article again: he loves peach so much he could kill.

(They might fix it soon but it actually said that)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I have no idea how Peachmaker looks in the comics, but I hope they base his movie appearance on Marvel's Aquarian.

Basically, I want to see Batista with glorious long Disco hair.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

RBA Starblade posted:

They should keep bringing back Ropeman and draw no attention to the fact he dies ten minutes in every movie.

“Oh my god! They killed Slipknot!”
“You bastards!”

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Peacemaker is the character the Comedian is based on.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Peacemaker is the character the Comedian is based on.

Any legitimate use of the Charlton characters upsets me until we get a Blue and Gold buddy cop movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Grendels Dad posted:

I have no idea how Peachmaker looks in the comics, but I hope they base his movie appearance on Marvel's Aquarian.

Bad news: no disco hair.

Good news: he looks like a pirate wearing a helmet from Spaceballs.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Tiger posted:

They keep saying the dceu is dead, but now they're adding a villain created by granny's peach tea?!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tiger posted:

So Mario?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Tiger posted:

You know I can uh, eat a peach for hours

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

I want to see how they interpret this helmet.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can’t decide if he looks more like a Palette swapped Judge Dred or Orion.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

I Before E posted:

I want to see how they interpret this helmet.

I see Captain Britain fell off the wagon and stole a chamber pot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

For those who don't know, Peacemaker was the basis for The Comedian in Watchmen.

But of course the character's gone through so many changes over the years they can do whatever.

Hopefully he'll keep the toilet seat hat.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jon Cryer asking re:bleeding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0RzG7-NYo

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fart City posted:

Leaked footage of the Cinematic Universe payoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq8WlzUDgqA

Not going to lie, I do wish Cap was just constantly drinking Ovaltine in the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I still believe that the CW should've had Brandon Routh play Superman in addition to the Atom. It's not like Supergirl takes place on the same Earth as Legends of Tomorrow.