Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

There have been a bunch of Toei Super Robots in SRW and Toei licensed Kyousiugiga for Super Heroine Chronicles so they've let stuff appear in crossover games before. Sailor Moon just also has to go through Takeuchi and Precure probably gets held back cause they want to keep it a kids property

Makes sense, though Precure itself has actually had several video game adaptions over the years. Not sure if any of them are any good though (or if any of the earlier ones have been fan translated).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The PreCure video games are mostly minigame collections, I think the only series to have any straight up action games was the original. So it's a bit of a walk from 'cooking with Hana!' to 'Hana tries to make friends with Homura Akemi and Homura responds by pointing a gun in her face'

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Good point, put characters from Madoka in a SRW-esque game instead. Speaking of which, is there still any hope of that reported fourth movie ever getting off the ground or is that series pretty much dead at this point?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 6, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I wouldn't put it beyond Shaft to get around to making something else, but atm the next slated thing is an anime for the mobile game, magireco.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

The PreCure video games are mostly minigame collections, I think the only series to have any straight up action games was the original. So it's a bit of a walk from 'cooking with Hana!' to 'Hana tries to make friends with Homura Akemi and Homura responds by pointing a gun in her face'

Right team Homura with Chibi Usa instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the recurring midboss squad of homura, chibiusa, yayaka, and lulu

Larryb posted:

Good point, put characters from Madoka in a SRW-esque game instead. Speaking of which, is there still any hope of that reported fourth movie ever getting off the ground or is that series pretty much dead at this point?

The mobage is doing decently and is getting an anime. I know 'mobage' puts the fear of god into some people but I've played through that game's story and it's decent, and none of the OG madoka characters are actually relevant to it so even if you don't like it it's not like it really affects anything.

And I realize this back and forth has been had a million times across the internet but I think Rebellion's a good ending point thematically, even if not narratively. I don't think a fourth movie would add anything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

the recurring midboss squad of homura, chibiusa, yayaka, and lulu

The mobage is doing decently and is getting an anime. I know 'mobage' puts the fear of god into some people but I've played through that game's story and it's decent, and none of the OG madoka characters are actually relevant to it so even if you don't like it it's not like it really affects anything.

And I realize this back and forth has been had a million times across the internet but I think Rebellion's a good ending point thematically, even if not narratively. I don't think a fourth movie would add anything.

The end of Rebellion does sort of set up a few elements for a sequel but yeah, I agree that you probably could leave it at that if you wanted. I still wouldn't mind seeing more though.

So Magireco is connected to Madoka in some fashion then? How so?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it's the same setting and the characters have the same magic system. mami is actually a character in the plot. witches and such exist, though they introduce new enemies too. it's a spinoff, but it's very definitively part of the canon, in the same way the spinoff manga were. the whole timelooping premise allows for that pretty easily.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's the same setting and the characters have the same magic system. mami is actually a character in the plot. witches and such exist, though they introduce new enemies too. it's a spinoff, but it's very definitively part of the canon, in the same way the spinoff manga were. the whole timelooping premise allows for that pretty easily.

Neat, I might have to check that out then. When is the anime version scheduled to begin (or have they said yet)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 6, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They haven't said yet, I don't think. Maybe fall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y0tFUEsCNs

if nothing else it's worth looking up the transformation animations from the game, they're gorgeous.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, it saddens me that Splash Star is such a severely underrated season even as far as Toei and the Japanese fanbase are concerned (they're barely present in the crossover movies and I think the most dialogue they've had in one of said films was in Haru no Carnival. Also Michiru and Kaoru don't get to do anything post-series except for one brief scene in the big Hugtto crossover). This might have something to do with the designs, personalities, and even in some cases how they sound being kind of derivative of Futari and the fact that it's kind of squished in between two of the more popular shows (the original/Max Heart, which is decent but it's very clear that the show was never initially meant to run past the first 26 episodes, and Yes 5/GoGo, which like KiraKira is mainly salvaged by its cast and art design).

Despite that, it's a really fun show with a good cast on both the hero and villain sides. Doki Doki is also a decent season though Aguri sort of dragged it down a bit for me and Alice was nowhere near as interesting as her awesome family (I still like her though).

Top 5 shows for me personally would probably be:

Splash Star
Fresh
HeartCatch
Suite
Go Princess (even if Towa sort of lost a lot of her personality once she settled in with the team)

Note that this is in release order as opposed to personal preference (in that regard Suite is probably closer to the top).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 6, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I love Alice. She doesn’t get a lot of focus episodes but she has some of the best in the series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh don't get me wrong, I like Alice well enough but I just personally find Sebastian and the rest of the Yotsuba family to be more entertaining over all.

On another note, it would be nice if they gave the Kiryuu sisters and Regina more than just a brief cameo during crossover movies/specials as regardless of Cure status they are still full members of the Splash Star and Doki Doki teams respectively (though the former did appear briefly in their "Cure" forms during that big Hugtto crossover).

Hell, while they're at it they should also bring back the characters that didn't have powers but were still technically part of their respective teams as a support role (such as Sebastian, Seiji, and Yui). Though I suppose as a general rule the main teams are pretty much the only ones that matter post-series (and sometimes barely even that like with Saki and Mai).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Sebastian, but we don't really see enough of her dad or mom or grandpa to get much that's interesting from them

... and then there's people who act like her brother was a real character with an influence on the series when he's just a dropped concept

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Splash Star suffered from coming after Futari Wa and also having the worst toy sales but Toei has warmed up to it more the last few years by releasing Figma's of Bloom, Windy and the Kiryuu's. It probably will get the short end in crossover stuff since Black and White fill the duo roll but Toei seems open to embracing it more than in the past ( Thanks Hapiness Charge taking its place in the dog house*)

*unknown if this is really the reason

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Splash Star suffered from coming after Futari Wa and also having the worst toy sales but Toei has warmed up to it more the last few years by releasing Figma's of Bloom, Windy and the Kiryuu's. It probably will get the short end in crossover stuff since Black and White fill the duo roll but Toei seems open to embracing it more than in the past ( Thanks Hapiness Charge taking its place in the dog house*)

Figuarts, not Figma.

Them making the Kiryu girls is still the most unlikely thing that ever happened. But you're right, now that they and the Suite girls have come out (as web exclusives...) the series that's become the poster boy for Bandai/Figuarts ignoring them has become Happiness Charge.

They haven't done the Maho girls either, and already moved on to Yell. That vexes me...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like I said, even if it was just one brief scene the fact that the Kiryuus appeared at all during the Hugtto crossover (and in costume no less) is progress in my opinion.

Come to think of it, did Sebastian even get a cameo in any of the All Stars movies? They should bring him back one day or better yet give us a full fledged Doki Doki sequel (the ending of the show kind of leaves the door open for one at any rate, more than any other season to be honest).

In HaCha's defense, it starts off ok and I kind of like Hime, Iona, and the card system (the core concept of teenagers from around the world essentially serving as soldiers in a Holy War between two ideologically opposed deities is also interesting on paper). It's only around the halfway point (or possibly a little before or after) where things really start going to hell (such as Megumi essentially taking over the entire plot to the detriment of the other characters, Tender leaving right when they probably could have used her the most, and Hime's entire character motivation being reduced down to a brief footnote during the end). It's still my least favorite season but there are some bright spots to it at least.

Speaking of sequels a Gokaiger/Decade-esque season for Precure would be a nice comprimise in that regard. Unless they're actually willing to finally let some of the old Cures age a little the best way to do it would probably be either set it in the All Stars universe or have the plot involve time/dimension travel in some capacity.

While turning into past Cures could work if you treated it like a form change (that is, everything transforms except the face and maybe hair), the teams are too uneven to really let every member of the current one join in. A better option would be to do Gokaiger-esque "Grand Powers" where a representative shows up for an episode or two and gives the girls a powerup reminiscent of her respective team after they've proven themselves (maybe call the collectibles Curefumes or something like that). Hell, you could make the All Stars movie for that season canon and therefore knock out at least two previous teams at once.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 6, 2019

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Rikka likes frogs, and I agree.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Poor Raquel, Rikka will never love him as much as she loves frogs or Mana

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mana and Rikka are That Couple who go to a party and only hang out with each other

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Mana and Rikka are That Couple who go to a party and only hang out with each other

Huh, guess the Futari Wa and Yes 5 girls weren't invited.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Komachi, Nozomi, Urara, and Rin are right there, man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Komachi, Nozomi, Urara, and Rin are right there, man

Ah yes, I see them now. Just no Nagisa, Honoka or Hikari for some reason

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

a lot of characters aren't there

I think the Kamikitas just wanted to draw particular characters interacting for a cute one off picture, not try to represent everyone

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

a lot of characters aren't there

I think the Kamikitas just wanted to draw particular characters interacting for a cute one off picture, not try to represent everyone

Ah ok, I wasn't sure if it was meant to represent all of the seasons up to the point of whenever this was drawn. Kudos on throwing Saki and Mai in there though. Speaking of Splash Star, I forget but did the general public in that series even know that team existed (I don't remember them ever fighting in areas where there were people around at any rate)?

I know the Futari girls were basically just a rumor in-universe (their vice principal also saw them once early on but nothing came of it and then of course they publicly transformed later during a production of Romeo & Juliet but for some reason everyone just thought it was part of the play) and then from Yes 5 onwards the Precure started becoming a bit more publicly known to varying degrees.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 8, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The twins do lots of one off Precure art that isn't part of anything. It's just how they do.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Cat Butler's name is Bakenyan. So he is based on a bakeneko/Nekomata.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Based on future titles it looks like they'll be leaving Earth behind for a few episodes at least, which I'm interested to see how that's going to work given their family responsibilities (as well as the Notraiders though they might be more interested in the Princess Pens than in actually conquering Earth specifically). Then again, we've seen that Fuwa can create portals so traveling back and forth shouldn't be much of an issue in this case..

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 10, 2019

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/lanapoke_bot/status/1104675801822244864?s=19

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Let's All Be Magical Girls!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Can’t say I expected a Precure reference in Pokémon but I like it.

Somewhat related, Precure themselves have referenced Sentai and Kamen Rider a few times. Off the top of my head the Futari girls had a pair of audio only crossovers with Dekaranger and Magiranger, Smile makes a Goranger reference (specifically in the episode right after Beauty joins), Mana from DokiDoki does a Kamen Rider henshin pose when she's trying to transform for the first time and there's a kid in an episode of Happiness Charge that's literally wearing a Kamen Rider mask. Not sure if there were any others though.

In other news, subs are out for Star Twinkle 6 (from one group at least, not sure about Over-Time's version) and we finally get a monster. They're called Notriggers (or at least this one was) and sort of remind me a bit of the Desertrians from Heartcatch (in concept at least). Though unless they find another means of creating them we're probably not going to see them all that often in this series.

Next time: Teenagers attempt rocket science and then it's finally time for Pretty Cure in Space.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 10, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Can’t say I expected a Precure reference in Pokémon but I like it.

I mean, they've already done Utena

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It looks like Aiwan will be the Monster of the Week creator. From the Preview Tenjo is back next week, but she has a new piece of gear that I am guessing will enhance her notrays.

Assuming Aiwan gets all the remaining Pens and loses them in the same episode. There will be ten Notrigger fights.

Tenjo I assume will enhance her notrays in various ways.

And I predict Kappard will attack himself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

It looks like Aiwan will be the Monster of the Week creator. From the Preview Tenjo is back next week, but she has a new piece of gear that I am guessing will enhance her notrays.

Assuming Aiwan gets all the remaining Pens and loses them in the same episode. There will be ten Notrigger fights.

Tenjo I assume will enhance her notrays in various ways.

And I predict Kappard will attack himself.

Both future episode titles and a line from Madoka in the most recent one indicate that the remaining pens are scattered across the galaxy, which means we're going planet hopping (though like has been mentioned before, Fuwa can create portals so bouncing back between space adventures and daily life on Earth wouldn't be that hard for them). I'm kind of looking forward to that honestly considering your average Precure season is generally limited to just one specific town.

This episode seems to prove that for now the Princess Pens are just powerups for the main Cures and only Fuwa actually changes forms from them. What you said regarding Aiwan makes sense though (they essentially got the first pen for free and now they have to work for the rest) but as mentioned that only leaves room for 10 more monsters unless they wind up discovering another method of creating them.

I'm also hoping the Star Princesses will actually get to do something eventually and not just sit in their respective palace for the rest of the season.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Who are all these other Precures in the ending song? They don't seem to be from past teams, at least, I don't recognize any.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Who are all these other Precures in the ending song? They don't seem to be from past teams, at least, I don't recognize any.

They're from the two most recent seasons prior to this, KiraKira and Hugtto. The ending is an ad for the latest crossover movie that will be released this weekend.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 11, 2019

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Ah that explains it, since I never really knew much about anything past Smile, I just figured if they were past teams there would've been at least one I recognized from seeing the Heartcatch All-Stars movie if nothing else.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they don't do crossovers where every team shows up anymore, save for the recent anniversary movie. It's always the current team plus the last two.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, apart from the afforementioned Hugtto movie they stopped doing the crossovers where everyone shows up after Maho Girls (and personally I prefer the new system as it’s much less cluttered overall).

If you do ever feel like checking out some older shows then Suite and Go Princess are both great choices (as is Splash Star if you haven’t seen that one either). Last year’s season Hugtto was also good though I have some issues with how it ended.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It makes total sense they would limit it to the current and last 2 Precure teams but also I'd love to see how they'd handle the every growing cast every year for the All Star movies.

Actually wouldn't mind if they mixed up the concept too. Maybe the current and last year team and 5 precure from other series (Maybe than we can the Cure Beauty/Cure Dream team denied us from the yes 5 movie)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think the main reason they slimmed things down is because there’s just too many of them to keep track of now, though I will admit they did some interesting things with the concept at times (like DX3 showing us how dysfunctional a team composed entirely of leaders/followers would be). Honestly I wouldn’t mind if they eventually just did it Sentai VS style where it’s just the current team and the previous team banding together.

I do agree that they should try mixing things up a bit though (for example, Suite should have had a bigger role in Haru no Carnival, or at least commented on how similar the setting was to Major Land) and give us some weird mashups like Futari/Splash Star and Yes 5/Smile (or a team of 5 or 6 where each member is from a different season).

It also might be nice if they went into what the previous team(s) have been up to post-series rather than them just popping up randomly. I did like that Super Stars (and later Hugtto itself) actually acknowledged the fact that Ichika and Hana met once before at the end of KiraKira though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 11, 2019