Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Content drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3BmubIQklU
Raycevick on the Metro games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7U1T_clksQ
Phelous with more Defenders of the Realm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgHNfOrislI
Jay and Josh look at Susperia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

corn in the bible posted:

In one Father Brown story he deduces that someone is a secret criminal because they believe in moral relativism

yeah, Chesterton was a weird reactionary gently caress to put it lightly. i kinda enjoyed his bio writings and his writing in general though.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 8, 2019

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Feels appropriate to post this gem again:

Also, I just saw this, and now all you have to see it as well:
https://twitter.com/TX__Cameron/status/1103515197166235650

So Doug is one of those guys who hangs his wank material on the walls now?

Sounds about right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Unless being a huge douche who refuses to tip is a crime back in Father Brown's day, that doesn't really follow.

It has been a little while since I read it, but the setup is that Father Brown has come to visit a priest, and the "priest" is actually a murderer disguised as a priest. So Father Brown figures out he's an imposter because they discuss theology and the fake priest gets it wrong, which in itself is fine. But then Father Brown also gives a monologue about how moral relativism is often espoused by the criminals he talks to, because that's the real point of the story.

Similarly, one time he figured out a murder was really suicide: the guy was a famous atheist teetotaler who was, they discovered, drinking in secret, which caused him to become depressed and then suicidal. Again, the deduction itself is sort of fine, it's explained and they go through the steps and clues he followed, but it's also intended to convey a message about temperance and how Chesterton did not trust the temperance movement, generally. G K Chesterton hated the temperance movement so much that he wrote a weird dystopian novel about a secret revolutionary movement that sells beer to people after Muslims convince England to ban drinking, so he naturally couldn't resist putting that into his detective stories either. If I remember correctly, Father Brown even explains that being a teetotaler made the guy's drinking affect him more, that people who have ethical standpoints like that and break them collapse far further than people with, like, religious support.

A lot of the morals end being a lot more prosaically Catholic (Chesterton didn't like Anglicans and he also really didn't like the weird obsession people had with Chinese culture and Buddhism and so on) and some stories really don't have any moral at all, but it's often there somewhere if you look.

Other stories include an investigation into a secret voodoo murder cult, a guy who did murder so he could help prevent the donation of money to the Church of France, and the murder of a dwarf who builds robot butlers. They're not all terrible, either in writing or in moral--sometimes Father Brown deliberately hides crimes from people because it's more important that the criminal confess to a priest than confess to the police, etc. Chesterton is actually a good writer, so the prose is often engaging and the characterization of Father Brown is fairly strong. There's a reason those stories stuck around while, like, Philo Vance or whoever gets thrown away by the wayside. And the racism (which is present in a fair number of the stories) is hardly unique for the time. Perhaps someone who is also a deeply conservative Catholic would agree with the morals of some of the stories; I don't know about that, I'm not a Catholic. But it's like... it's like when they tried to do that Lone Ranger movie by throwing away everything that defined the Lone Ranger, because all of it was unpalatable to modern audiences, and the result is a movie where there's no real reason for it to be the Lone Ranger except that it's something people have heard of and they can use the theme song. Regardless of the quality of the result, it's a weird thing to decide to adapt something while admitting that you don't actually like the underlying messages. Chesterton's stories are often didactic and sometimes deeply offensive but they are also interesting... but they are interesting because they are hard-right Cathologic apologia disguised as detective stories, and I think it's dishonest and kind of unpleasant to adapt them into a straight detective series about a quirky priest who solves crimes. He's goofy and forgets his umbrella sometimes! Hilarious!

I don't know if it's good or bad to adapt stories like that without context, when the original context is often rather racist and unpleasant. Because I also probably would not want to watch a straight adaptation where the show has to stop for Father Brown to lecture people on how the Catholic Church is superior to Anglicanism because they really believe in forgiveness, but on the other hand what's the point of making a Father Brown show where they don't actually do the thing that was the original point of the stories? So like... maybe I would have preferred they just not make a show out of those stories. We don't, you know, need a Father Brown show. The world wasn't clamoring for it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sounds about right.

I mean he has hung a tweet by Roger Ebert that @ him.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

It has been a little while since I read it, but the setup is that Father Brown has come to visit a priest, and the "priest" is actually a murderer disguised as a priest. So Father Brown figures out he's an imposter because they discuss theology and the fake priest gets it wrong, which in itself is fine. But then Father Brown also gives a monologue about how moral relativism is often espoused by the criminals he talks to, because that's the real point of the story.

Similarly, one time he figured out a murder was really suicide: the guy was a famous atheist teetotaler who was, they discovered, drinking in secret, which caused him to become depressed and then suicidal. Again, the deduction itself is sort of fine, it's explained and they go through the steps and clues he followed, but it's also intended to convey a message about temperance and how Chesterton did not trust the temperance movement, generally. G K Chesterton hated the temperance movement so much that he wrote a weird dystopian novel about a secret revolutionary movement that sells beer to people after Muslims convince England to ban drinking, so he naturally couldn't resist putting that into his detective stories either. If I remember correctly, Father Brown even explains that being a teetotaler made the guy's drinking affect him more, that people who have ethical standpoints like that and break them collapse far further than people with, like, religious support.

A lot of the morals end being a lot more prosaically Catholic (Chesterton didn't like Anglicans and he also really didn't like the weird obsession people had with Chinese culture and Buddhism and so on) and some stories really don't have any moral at all, but it's often there somewhere if you look.

Other stories include an investigation into a secret voodoo murder cult, a guy who did murder so he could help prevent the donation of money to the Church of France, and the murder of a dwarf who builds robot butlers. They're not all terrible, either in writing or in moral--sometimes Father Brown deliberately hides crimes from people because it's more important that the criminal confess to a priest than confess to the police, etc. Chesterton is actually a good writer, so the prose is often engaging and the characterization of Father Brown is fairly strong. There's a reason those stories stuck around while, like, Philo Vance or whoever gets thrown away by the wayside. And the racism (which is present in a fair number of the stories) is hardly unique for the time. Perhaps someone who is also a deeply conservative Catholic would agree with the morals of some of the stories; I don't know about that, I'm not a Catholic. But it's like... it's like when they tried to do that Lone Ranger movie by throwing away everything that defined the Lone Ranger, because all of it was unpalatable to modern audiences, and the result is a movie where there's no real reason for it to be the Lone Ranger except that it's something people have heard of and they can use the theme song. Regardless of the quality of the result, it's a weird thing to decide to adapt something while admitting that you don't actually like the underlying messages. Chesterton's stories are often didactic and sometimes deeply offensive but they are also interesting... but they are interesting because they are hard-right Cathologic apologia disguised as detective stories, and I think it's dishonest and kind of unpleasant to adapt them into a straight detective series about a quirky priest who solves crimes. He's goofy and forgets his umbrella sometimes! Hilarious!

I don't know if it's good or bad to adapt stories like that without context, when the original context is often rather racist and unpleasant. Because I also probably would not want to watch a straight adaptation where the show has to stop for Father Brown to lecture people on how the Catholic Church is superior to Anglicanism because they really believe in forgiveness, but on the other hand what's the point of making a Father Brown show where they don't actually do the thing that was the original point of the stories? So like... maybe I would have preferred they just not make a show out of those stories. We don't, you know, need a Father Brown show. The world wasn't clamoring for it.

But other than that, the TV series is a fun watch.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

That moral relativism Father Brown story reminds me of that one(?) episode of Touched By An Angel that implied that atheists are completely amoral. Actually, I think it was more of an implication; there might have been a monologue at the end of the episode.

Edit: There's a chance I'm mistaking Touched By An Angel with Twice In A Lifetime, a Canadian TV show with a very similar theme.

Ghostlight posted:

that is a rather standard perspective for people who believe that all moral truth comes from god

Truuuuue but that was still surprising to watch on TV, something that is usually workshopped into being very anodyne for the biggest groups in the audience.

DoubleCakes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 8, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

that is a rather standard perspective for people who believe that all moral truth comes from god

brother cadfael is the superior catholic detective

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Perhaps someone who is also a deeply conservative Catholic would agree with the morals of some of the stories; I don't know about that, I'm not a Catholic.
As a Catholic but also a pinko commie the only thing that really sounds right is undermining the police. It's hard to even hate Anglicans that much, given that they're basically just Catholics but listening to a different guy wearing a different silly hat. If his books were about hating Baptists that'd be something I could get on board with.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Captain Marvel trip report: it's good and a lot of fun. My only complaint is that I had to pee through most of it.

Looking forward to Endgame now more than ever.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

nine-gear crow posted:

I watched it on DVD a few months ago and the only things I can remember about it is the ending twist that actually invalidates half the movie and Sandra Bullock and Cate Blanchett trying to dance around the “be gay” part of “be gay, do crimes” and kinda failing awkwardly while still being infinitely engrossing in the few scenes they have alone together.
it was good the internet got really frothed up over it then

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

what kind of theatre is powered by piss

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trump’s

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ghostlight posted:

:chaostrump:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Look, movie revenues are down because of digital piracy. If you want to see the movie, you gotta pee in the tube, okay.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sounds about right.

From what we've heard about the man, I'm going to assume it's not his wank material, he's just so sheltered and not self-aware that he has no idea that it looks like wank material. Hell, if he spends a lot of time in geek media, that's probably way too covered up to be considered wank material.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Didn't see this posted.

New PhilosophyTube about Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-ZeToI4R8

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Spiderverse and Fury Road were two of the best movies of the past decade, whereas I feel like the usual culture war arc is for a mediocre big-budget movie to rake in a ton of cash and be forgotten immediately, with almost nobody noticing some angry youtube commenters saying that nobody should go see it. Then sometimes people later momentarily remember the twitter weirdo who wanted to crash the girls-only screening of Wonder Woman.

I was going to say that from that list of movies, Fury Road and Spiderverse are really good (well, Fury Road is; I haven't seen Spiderverse, but it seemed like everybody liked it). Most of the others just sort of leave me feeling blasé. :geno: (Force Awakens was okay, still haven't seen Last Jedi). I've no interest in seeing Captain Marvel, but then I haven't had interest in seeing the last umpteen super hero movies that have come out.

I think it just comes down to a mix of personal interest and word-of-mouth. WIth something like Fury Road, or say, The Lego Movie, people all around (not critics, but just normal viewers) were really positive on it, and I figure it something I need to see.

Fabricated posted:

I literally just remembered that oceans movie existed

I didn't even know there was an Ocean's Eight existed until I caught the tail end of it when someone was watching it on-demand. I just saw Sandra Bullock in the credits and thought "Oh wow, it feels like it's been a few years since I've seen her in a movie." Just a little while ago, I was told about a movie called The Spy Who Dumped Me that had Mila Kunis and Sam Heughan in it, and came out last year, but I hadn't even heard of it. I don't know if I'm just out of the loop or what. :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Logan Lucky is the only film to use John Denver properly in the recent glut of media titles that have been slamming the repeat button on that song.

It was used well in Alien Covenant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s crazy how much John Denver was in movies last year. Covenant and then Kingsmen 2 later. Which was the only good scene in that movie, and also the worst because they killed the best character

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Did the Den-aissance happen at some point in the last few years, and did we all miss it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CelticPredator posted:

It’s crazy how much John Denver was in movies last year. Covenant and then Kingsmen 2 later. Which was the only good scene in that movie, and also the worst because they killed the best character

Hey now, if they can bring back Colin Firth after getting a bullet in the head...:pseudo:.

I quite enjoyed Kingsmen 2, though it's definitely not as good as the original.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Puppy Time posted:

From what we've heard about the man, I'm going to assume it's not his wank material, he's just so sheltered and not self-aware that he has no idea that it looks like wank material. Hell, if he spends a lot of time in geek media, that's probably way too covered up to be considered wank material.

Doug literally did a list video about cartoon ladies that gave him a boner.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Doug literally did a list video about cartoon ladies that gave him a boner.

Was Booette in there?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

No.1 Special posted:

Didn't see this posted.

New PhilosophyTube about Brexit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr-ZeToI4R8
How easy is it to avoid the Arrival spoilers in this? I stopped watching as soon as he said he'd spoil the ending but if I can just skip a bit I'll watch the rest.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Pretty hard.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Puppy Time posted:

Was Booette in there?

He's too old-school for that

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How easy is it to avoid the Arrival spoilers in this? I stopped watching as soon as he said he'd spoil the ending but if I can just skip a bit I'll watch the rest.

He does helpfully frame these segments by wearing the yellow hazmat overalls they have in the movie, so just stick to the parts where he looks "business formal but go caught up in a zombie apocalypse."

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Max Wilco posted:

I didn't even know there was an Ocean's Eight existed until I caught the tail end of it when someone was watching it on-demand. I just saw Sandra Bullock in the credits and thought "Oh wow, it feels like it's been a few years since I've seen her in a movie." Just a little while ago, I was told about a movie called The Spy Who Dumped Me that had Mila Kunis and Sam Heughan in it, and came out last year, but I hadn't even heard of it. I don't know if I'm just out of the loop or what. :shrug:

You don't have a wine mom in your life like I do.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Like everyone already said he alternates between talking about the movie and Brexit with scenes from the movie spliced in with Brexit news footage. When he's in the torn-up suit he's talking about Brexit. When he's in the hazmat suit he's talking about Arrival. If I'm being honest you might want to hold off until you see the movie if spoilers are important for you.

Anyway new Movies with Mikey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDMlvJcb3Js

Lessons Animation Taught Us pt. 2

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You should watch Arrival - it's really quite good.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Doug is Volcel, got it.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I was going more toward "very dense," but OK?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I ended up watching arrival because of that video even after the spoilers. It is good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe he just has wank material on his walls.

Who cares, it’s not like you live with him

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

hazel has a video up on the manga "Stop!! Hibari-kun!", how it fairs as a work with transgender characters, and how complicated it is applying the Japanese language to LGBTQ issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thanks all.

TheMaestroso posted:

You should watch Arrival - it's really quite good.

That's the ideal solution. I'd been meaning to for ages but never got around to it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CharlestheHammer posted:

Maybe he just has wank material on his walls.

Who cares, it’s not like you live with him

No, the real question is "how does he get them up there?" Remember that obscene phone caller played by Philip Seymour Hoffman in Happiness and his wall with all the postcards? I bet it's that.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

poparena posted:

hazel has a video up on the manga "Stop!! Hibari-kun!", how it fairs as a work with transgender characters, and how complicated it is applying the Japanese language to LGBTQ issues.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa6MK_boub0

This is a good video and ya'll should watch it instead of talking about Doug's wank material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Internet Personality + Review Thread: Wank Material Is Fascism