Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Factorio and Subnautica have a baby in the newest game from Coffee Stain Studios, creators of Goat Simulator. The game enters early access on the 19th, however as part of their satanic pact to not only be known for a meme goat game this is an Epic Store exclusive (12 months?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_lmP8jYVLs

FEATURES
  • Multiplayer, four players officially supported but otherwise uncapped
  • Tech tree
  • Conveyors are not on a grid, can snake around and change height
  • Pipes!
  • Vertical construction with stackable belts, conveyor lifts, building structures
  • Power generation tiers - Biomass, Coal, Oil, Nuclear
  • Vehicles including trucks, trains and jetpacks
  • Exploration with research unlocks to find
  • Hostile and neutral aliens
  • Combat but no turrets/wave defense

NOT FEATURES
No procedural map generation.
No survival elements, no permadeath.
No underground conveyors.
Resources are fixed locations and infinite, plants and trees respawn.
No terraforming, landscaping, weather or pollution.
No VR support.
No consoles?

Really useful save game map generator/production planner:
https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/interactive-map

• In order to craft the Portable Miner, you first need to build the Equipment Workshop, it gives you access to various tools and devices.
  • If you're having "encroaching others clearance" issue with placing the large miner, it's almost always because you didn't mine the pure ore cluster on top of the resource node.
  • You remove wires (and other objects and machines you've built), by pressing F and using the deconstruct tool on them, like you did to disassemble the Drop Pod.
  • Upgrade leaves/wood into Biomass at the crafting bench for longer lasting fuel.
  • Only connect power pylons to two buildings, save the other two connections to connect to other pylons.
  • Put your power buildings together, it's easy enough to cable your base together.
  • Power pylon MK2 are available after researching Caterium ore
  • Alternative recipes are available for most intermediates that can simplify your production

• Shift-Clicking a stack will move that entire stack to whatever container/item you have open.
  • Control-Clicking a stack will move every stack of that to whatever container/item you have open.
  • Right-clicking a stack will split that stack in half.
  • Holding right-click on a stack will give you a small pop-up to make a very specific size stack.
  • Alt-scroll wheel is the hotkey to changing your current hot bar.
  • While deconstructing, CTRL will allow you to paint for up to 50 items to deconstruct, allowing you to release it so you can tap it to tag very specific things.
  • You have multiple hand slots.
  • Shift or CTRL click dragging a stack in your inventory into the trash can in your inventory will work exactly as you expect.
  • The 'N' search box also works as a rudimentary calculator. Parenthesis work too!
  • Middle mouse with the constructor (or deconstructor) out will select the build recipe for whatever you are aiming at.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
As a Factorio addict, this looks cool but no procedural generation is really killing my enthusiasm.
I don't suppose there's any chance of it being added? I don't see anything in your list.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Absence of procedural generation is a feature :colbert:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
They've said from the beginning the map(s) will not be procedural. Unlikely that a mod could add that in.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Played two hours. So far it’s a very pretty game and it runs very smoothly on a 1070. But trying to route and place things from first person is annoying even with the limited grid snap. Also annoying how long it takes to progress from the early game into automation. It’s still seems faster to hand craft then let your machines take care of it especially since the low early power capacity really limits how much you can paralize production.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got past the weird account problem and pre-ordered. The receipt only has an order ID though, are they sending the activation keys out separately or something?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

The lookout towers or whatever they're called actually help a ton when building, particularly when building on a large foundation.

The very early game is a weak point, in my opinion, but I think the hand crafting system they have now beats the pants off the prior versions: 4 second craft times, then each click does one thwack of the hammer. The latter was a button mash fest. I came up with various ways to drum on my LMB while most people just used an autoclicker.

Given the way belts are point to point rather than having the ability to have inserts for picking stuff off, the logistics of splitting belts is also too deep. For quite a while (unless you already know what you're doing and rush it), you will have one miner feed one smelter feed one storage feed one constructor. Repeat for each early resource type. You can't automate both plates and rods until either logistics or if you have two iron nodes.

The power pole mini game is also a bit annoying, but once you get the hang of it it becomes a non issue (but still a little annoying).

Unfortunately, T4, which is not accessible for the weekenders, is when things start to really take off. That's when you get access to coal/coal power which is the first time you can stop caring about / having to manually feed your generators.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

Unfortunately, T4, which is not accessible for the weekenders, is when things start to really take off. That's when you get access to coal/coal power which is the first time you can stop caring about / having to manually feed your generators.

Coal is Tier 3, it's in the alpha.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
If anyone has a key for this they don't want I'll gladly try it out for them :D

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This game looks and sounds cool as hell. I think adding fluids would be really easy for these guys, if they wanted to do so down the road. Can't wait until everything gets more fleshed out

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Tamba posted:

Coal is Tier 3, it's in the alpha.

Oh, it is? I wonder if they moved it or I'm misremembering.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah this is really awesome, i'm really enjoying the free weekend.

O. Henry O-Face
Sep 16, 2009
I played for about 5-6 hours last night and I'm really enjoying this game. Didn't encounter any game breaking bugs except a friend having issues reloading into the game.

I didn't find the early game too bad, I watched some streamers play who built a ton of personal miners and then manually made everything. Instead I just opted to automate as much as I could from the beginning and it flowed real well. Took maybe 40 minutes to upgrade the hub fully?

I'm really enjoying the little things in this game like the auto crafter heating up and becoming white hot when you're churning out biomass. I don't know if it's planned to be removed but it's kinda funny to build giant ramps and then remove the bases so they're just floating in air. Then again we're building huge buildings with the click of a button, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Probably the most solid alpha I've ever played as well.

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.
Do i understand this correctly, that you're hosed and have to wait for the 19th if you didn't already sign up for the alpha?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The best sign of the direction of this game, IMO, is that you get craftable jump pads and landing pads early on. There's a lot of effort to make the game feel good in 3D, rather than just be 3D factorio.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Picer posted:

Do i understand this correctly, that you're hosed and have to wait for the 19th if you didn't already sign up for the alpha?

I'm not sure I'd really describe it as "hosed", but yes, if you did not previously sign up for the alpha, early access starts on the 19th

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Game is good so far, the opening was a little slow, and it felt like I had to hand-craft way more than I should have, but I'm having plenty of fun.

I'm sprawled out on the ground right now, but I can't wait to make factories with multiple floors and levels!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
agreed, imo the worst part of the game is that the progression is skewed a bit slow. That plus the onerous circuit-keeping minigame makes building your factory out feel a lot more of a chore than factorio (it's already naturally harder due to being 3d.) That being said, there's more of an exploration element to the game, so you have something to do while you wait for your factories to trundle along (or you can push ahead and make a shitload of miners, chore-like circuit watching be damned)

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm not sure I'd really describe it as "hosed", but yes, if you did not previously sign up for the alpha, early access starts on the 19th

Goddamnit!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Goddamn I just realized you can adjust conveyor pole height gently caress

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Alpha is fun, and I'll buy the game for sure, but I really want to know what the endgame is like. The main issue right now is slow resource production and having to manage fuel at the start.

Definitely like the spin they have on building out a factory, and that it is in 3d.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Early game layouts and managing fuel and how much you have to hand craft before automation really gets going are kinda annoying, but not dealbreakers. Its so hard to place things when on the same level as the thing you're placing. It also might need some optimization since it runs ok on my 1070, but caps out my 3770k at 100% with all detail cranked. Definitely need a separate toggle for motion blur so you don't have to turn all post processing to low to kill it. Inventory space feels needlessly restrictive considering how many things you need even just through tier 3.

I can see myself playing this, at least once or twice through each map but will probably wait for steam release.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Phobeste posted:

Goddamn I just realized you can adjust conveyor pole height gently caress

How do you do this? Was I just not reading some part of the screen?

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

manero posted:

How do you do this? Was I just not reading some part of the screen?

You have to be laying a post directly and when you click and hold you can move the mouse up and down and it goes with it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This game is head and shoulders above everything else in its department for sheer QUALITY CONTROL, if nothing else. Everything is so well animated and so smooth. The animation of the Space Elevator assembling itself, the Portable Miner positioning itself before becoming a drill, and so on.

Got a feeling I'm going to love it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

FYI If you have a full alpha friend, they can load their T4+ saves in the weekend alpha client and you can join. Oops.

E: Unfortunately all my prior saves have overlapping coal power plants.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can someone spoil what significant items T3 has? I'm enjoying the game but if I can't do something about these awful bioreactors I'll probably stop playing.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
well, good news: the first unlock in t3 is coal and coal plants, which can be automated.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Phobeste posted:

You have to be laying a post directly and when you click and hold you can move the mouse up and down and it goes with it.

Aha! Excellent, thank you.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
What's the trick to power poles? I run out of x/4 capacity a lot and have to continually rebuild parts of my network, which is annoying. I'm also extremely stupid.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Have a tiered system of local poles (can feed 3 machines) and distribution poles (can feed 1-3 local poles depending on your grid)

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Each pole can only have 4 connections.
So you can really only connect it to at most two buildings, because you need one connection to get power from, and one to transfer power to the next pole.
There's no need for redundancy, a single line can transfer unlimited power.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Impermanent posted:

well, good news: the first unlock in t3 is coal and coal plants, which can be automated.

Coal, coal plants, and also trucks and truck stations. You feed a coal mine into a coal plant and you have self-generating power forever. I fed the rest of that via a splitter into a truck station, one going to the loading bay the other going to the "fuel" bay. Then I automated a truck to go between that and my main base and unload the coal there into more generators. It was surprisingly easy, and fun. After that the trick was just upping my production of rarer items, same as in Factorio.

Sadly I think I've reached the limits of what this weekend alpha can show off but god drat it was so worth it. This game will be an easy sell for me.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the power generaiton progression kinda irks me. like, i get why they don't give you coal sooner, they want to force you to go our and explore and their primary mechanism for that in the early game is making you gather leaves and wood. by t2 or so though, they should really give you a biomass generator that has an input, having to refill each generator by hand is tedious and really, really limits the amount of automation you can do. it's really weird how long the "hand feed the generators" stage lasts! (it's basically the entire alpha)

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ninjewtsu posted:

the power generaiton progression kinda irks me. like, i get why they don't give you coal sooner, they want to force you to go our and explore and their primary mechanism for that in the early game is making you gather leaves and wood. by t2 or so though, they should really give you a biomass generator that has an input, having to refill each generator by hand is tedious and really, really limits the amount of automation you can do. it's really weird how long the "hand feed the generators" stage lasts! (it's basically the entire alpha)

I'd probably consider T3 to be the end of "early game". I do agree that a lot of the early game is not conducive to automation and hand crafting being so much faster than early automation confuses the subject further. Once you unlock coal and mk2 belts, that's when you really enter what feels like "mid game" where you will probably build a whole new factory area with your newfound power capacity and belts that are fast enough to actually assemble things that require screws as an input.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

One thing to keep in mind is that biomass and then biofuel are much more efficient and longer-lasting than raw leaves or wood. It's well worth crunching your greenery down to biofuel to significantly increase the time your generators can run between refills.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i had to build a stupid amount of power generation to automate filling up the space elevator with its cargo. it's really dumb that i'm having to handfeed 12 power generators, that seems like the task that should be your introduction to heavy automation, but the way pre-coal power works heavy automation is heavily punished (either you spend your entire time filling up your power plants until the task is complete, or your entire base shuts off!), and filling up the space elevator's cargo is what unlocks automated power!

aside from that though, game's really cool. i marathoned the game for 9 hours, reached the end of content, then set out on an exciting exploration adventure, only to find that the big pink trees in the cherry blossom biome don't have any collision, and the river that runs through the area has numbers floating above its anchor points, so i think i'm not meant to go over there yet.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

automating what you give to the space elevator is not strictly necessary for Tier 3 unlock from what I can tell, though I do note that it has belt ports for you to eventually do so, so maybe there's something out there later on you want to mass-produce.

I do like that unlike Factorio, you can smelt iron bars by hand at the crafting table. Sure, it takes time, but it gives you a little more leeway.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean if you don't automate it, you're sitting on the crafting bench for 10 minutes holding down "craft more screws" which while certainly something you can do (and, as the system stands, the faster and easier way to do things), i don't think that's what the devs intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Pleasantly surprised by the autopilot. I put it on a sort of elevated highway with the steepest ramps at both ends, and it handles it without issue every time, and I've seen it self-correct by backing up and trying again successfully too. Bodes well for a more complicated facility down the line, I think, but I didn't make it into the closed alpha to play with trains.