Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Palemdromes posted:

I’m still on the single player stuff myself. Just got the first camp set up. What’s the point of donating money / carcasses to the camp...will bad stuff happen if I don’t? Do I need to donate to access some of the upgrades?

I don't think there are any major consequences to not giving meat or whatever, they just count as money donated (which is required for upgrades), but I always had so much game it was no big deal to hand some over. I saw no necessary purpose to the upgrades other than the ones to Dutch's tent, so you can get fast travel from Arthur's wagon. I did them anyway because money was never really a problem and I enjoyed my interactions with the gang.

quote:

Is there any way to bathe aside from the hotel? Can I just dive into a river to freshen up? Mrs. Scrimshaw or whoever got mad at me and made me wash the last time I hung out at camp.

Pretty sure you can do just that, yes.

quote:

I have so many questions I’ve forgotten most of them. It’s incredible how detailed this game is. I’m growing a rad mustache. I need to do more hunting and robbing.

Yes to all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Thanks. Also I’ve been riding a shire around because he’s a big boi, but is there a bigger boi?? I imagine he’s not all that great for riding around but I like him.

What do the different horse breeds even do? Riding and racing the fastest, draft (or war?) have the highest health?

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
I never got the "Grimshaw bath" cutscene and had no idea it even existed until today. I saw it on a clickbait article complaining that rdr2 is too boring (making it sound like the Sims), even though that's the furthest thing from my experience.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

clockworx posted:

I never got the "Grimshaw bath" cutscene and had no idea it even existed until today. I saw it on a clickbait article complaining that rdr2 is too boring (making it sound like the Sims), even though that's the furthest thing from my experience.

I like the Sims and if they made one similar to that medieval one, only cowboys I would buy it instantly

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Palemdromes posted:

Thanks. Also I’ve been riding a shire around because he’s a big boi, but is there a bigger boi?? I imagine he’s not all that great for riding around but I like him.

What do the different horse breeds even do? Riding and racing the fastest, draft (or war?) have the highest health?

Yeah each breed specializes in different stats. Race (i think) horses are kind of a trap, because they have great speed, but awful stamina, so you constantly have to re-up it on long trip. Imo it's better to trade a smidgen of speed for a good deal more stamina just for QoL. The arabians (you can get a free white one in the mountains, and a black one unlocks for purchase in chapter 4) are good for this; others swear by the turkoman and the I want to say missouri foxtrotter? I don't think the latter two unlock until chapter 4 either though.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
I've got a soft spot for Ardennes. Their speed isn't great, but their health/stamina make them live up to the "war horse" class. They also take a lot to spook, which cemented my appreciation.

That and they dwarf other horses. Absolute units. :3:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Hihohe posted:

I like the Sims and if they made one similar to that medieval one, only cowboys I would buy it instantly

The best Sims for me was the two player one on PS2, my cousin and I forced all our sims to work in a garden gnome sweatshop. They didn't have beds, we made them touch bug zappers for energy

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I've got a soft spot for Ardennes. Their speed isn't great, but their health/stamina make them live up to the "war horse" class. They also take a lot to spook, which cemented my appreciation.

That and they dwarf other horses. Absolute units. :3:

Sold. Where can I find these in the wild? Trying to avoid googling stuff to save me from spoilers

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mandrel posted:

since they effectively kind of patched farming cops in St Denis I think, the best ways are probably farming story and free roam missions. Free roams give like 150-250xp per, plus whatever you get from kills etc. a kill is 5xp, plus 5xp for using special ammo plus 5xp for using deadeye, plus 5xp for a headshot, so that adds up. wouldn’t recommend showdown because you probably won’t win and will end up with like 180xp total and have no fun in the process.

also, hunting/fishing/scavenging and doing free roam missions/loving around in the process is actually good xp. when you combine the killing xp and mission rewards with how quickly you can keep completing challenges and resetting the awards it adds up. I’m only level 41 but that’s pretty much all I do

I'll have to do that. I usually play by myself so until they start allowing other people to also help you rather than just hinder (it's almost as if the idiot Rockstar designers wants to cultivate a toxic, griefing and competitive community) free-roam stuff (stranger missions) just isn't in the cards. Everything about competitive is so ill-conceived. It's like the multiplayer designers were told, a month before release, that the movement in the game was going ultra-clunkydeliberate, even by Rockstar's bad standards and just didn't both to redesign them around that fact. I also appreciate that all the team colors are very slightly different tints of the various colors. At least two of the million teams they have in some of these modes have colors that look almost identical. Like one or two points of color another way on the RGB slider.

I do miss GTAO's really tedious handler missions. They were same-y and kind of boring but at least there were shitloads of them and some had you do a few different things in them. Most importantly they didn't have super-long cutscenes, morality choices and were bite-size enough for you to get in then get out without riding to the spot for 10 minutes, get into a shootout then ride for another 10 minutes away.

Edit: When selecting your loadout and you don't have dual weapons unlocked, which pistol will be your primary? Left or Right? I like to use my upgraded Schofield and because this is designed by Rockstar, they have you set up your loadout for a slot that doesn't exist yet. No matter what slot I seem to put my Schofield in, I don't get to use it in the story mission or competitive, if you are allowed to use your own weapons.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2019

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Buschmaki posted:

I just want free aim lobbies

Is that honestly what is making people fuckin able to pop you instantly from 50 ft away is the targeted aiming.
I've had mine off generally till I noticed players were shooting me to death way too quickly, so I set the level up a bit more to maybe like a quarter or less than a quarter of the bar for free aim, and man it helps with those ridiculous players if you notice them before they can do anything but I've noticed (holy poo poo what the gently caress is with the free aim, even at a low level on the bar for toggling auto-aim.. the game has it snap to people like crazy.
Like I get horses being not as easy to shoot on (personally i find them easier than the cars in GTA) but I honestly feel like auto-aim should be straight up just disabled for online.
There's a gargantuan amount of issues in red dead online but this certainly is one of the biggest, I haven't tried the auto-aim poo poo at 100% so I'm not sure entirely how it works, but if that's what's making players from half across a town totaling me as soon as I get into the town to go sell some hide or do whatever, that is one of the things that's killing the game.
There's just too many issues with online for it to be even remotely fun to play for more than an hour or so for myself, I definitely expect that this will be changed but my theory is that rockstars dumbass mechanic with putting in more than one paywall rather than the general singular currency for every item you're paying for like in GTA. It's to a point that they actually made it a paywall though, unlike in GTA where you can earn that money freely you're getting jack poo poo to no gold whatsoever during gameplay.
In my opinion I say rockstar can suck my fuckin' nutsack for a lot of this but on the other hand, the story-mode/single-player is probably one of the best, if not the best game i've played that's payed attention to incredibly minute details.

I just want online to be fixed so I can play with my buds and more goons and have it feel fun / not like a korean mmorpg.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Palemdromes posted:

I don't think there's a bigger boy in RDR2, but here's probably the biggest horse that's been alive on Earth, his name was Samson who was born in 1846! He was around 3,300 pounds!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Best Boah :eyepop:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Palemdromes posted:

Sold. Where can I find these in the wild? Trying to avoid googling stuff to save me from spoilers

I'm pretty sure they can only be purchased at stables, so poke in and check their selections!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I found a 6 person poker game in Emerald Station and took everyone’s money but nothing else happened. Figured there would be an achievement or something.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Palemdromes posted:

I found a 6 person poker game in Emerald Station and took everyone’s money but nothing else happened. Figured there would be an achievement or something.

There is actually some achievements regarding gambling but you have to do them in order I haven't played in a little while so I can't go into more details, I just don't remember enough.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Oh also, I found the wash basin in camp but couldn’t figure out a way to use it. Luckily there was an infinite box of beers nearby to help me get over the disappointment of remaining dirty.

I’m slowly depopulating the local woods of deer for camp supplies, I check and do all of the chores whenever available, and most nights you can find me by the fire listening to stories or singing. Maybe I should just go camping irl, this is quickly becoming less of a game and more of a rough living simulator. My brother watched me for a bit yesterday and was perplexed at my mundane cowboy life. I couldn’t really explain myself too well.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

What if they switched it to free aim and gun fights still weren't any fun.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Palemdromes posted:

Oh also, I found the wash basin in camp but couldn’t figure out a way to use it. Luckily there was an infinite box of beers nearby to help me get over the disappointment of remaining dirty.

I’m slowly depopulating the local woods of deer for camp supplies, I check and do all of the chores whenever available, and most nights you can find me by the fire listening to stories or singing. Maybe I should just go camping irl, this is quickly becoming less of a game and more of a rough living simulator. My brother watched me for a bit yesterday and was perplexed at my mundane cowboy life. I couldn’t really explain myself too well.

Just so you know, you absolutely do not need to do those chores. It's entirely up to you and isn't really worth it tbh. Heck you don't even need to eat if you don't want to.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
I like doing the chores too. The other gang members comment on it, “At least someone is doin’ some work around here!” Plus the dead eye experience is a nice small bonus.

When it comes to RDR and RDR2, I go full on immersion nerd. Not many games make me want to do that, but god drat if this isn’t my favorite series of all time.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Chuds McGreedy posted:

I like doing the chores too. The other gang members comment on it, “At least someone is doin’ some work around here!” Plus the dead eye experience is a nice small bonus.

When it comes to RDR and RDR2, I go full on immersion nerd. Not many games make me want to do that, but god drat if this isn’t my favorite series of all time.

Saaaaaaame, same same same. That’s my poop = that’s how I play too, hasn’t happened to me since maybe the older Rdr

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Have you always been able to snag a treasure map from a body that you loot from a bandit camp? Got a bit of gold and 100 bucks but it was the 1st time in I dont know how many that ive cleared out

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Its really rare, theres a chance to get one from an ambush too

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
In my experience it’s like 5-10% of the time

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is there a soundtrack release date yet? I know they've released some of the vocal songs by famous artists like D'Angelo or whatever, but I mean the full instrumental OST. I finished it months ago but my girlfriend is playing through it for the first time and I forgot how insane the soundtrack is for this game, there's literally a different song for every mission and so many of them are loving great. I found news articles from 2018 saying the soundtrack would be released but there was no date on it, and nothing since then.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

What do the three symbols at the top right when you’re in camp mean? The middle one is yellow now but they used to be all red.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Palemdromes posted:

What do the three symbols at the top right when you’re in camp mean? The middle one is yellow now but they used to be all red.

Provisions, ammo, and medicine supplies at the camp. They'll turn yellow if they're fully stocked, I think?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
White is full , yellow low, red out from what i remember

Remembered wrong

generic one posted:

Coulda sworn I remembered them turning yellow after I made a purchase at the ledger, so I looked it up: Red is low, white is OK, yellow is well-stocked. Haven't hung around camp long enough to see if anyone actually takes tins of beans or boxes of shotgun shells, but I like to imagine they do. :3:

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 10, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sax Solo posted:

What if they switched it to free aim and gun fights still weren't any fun.

Then they should keep aim assist but only have it aim in the general direction. Then as you fire more and more the aim gets closer and closer.

gun fights would be much cooler if everyone was slinging lead all over the drat place

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 9, 2019

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

ZeusCannon posted:

White is full , yellow low, red out from what i remember

Coulda sworn I remembered them turning yellow after I made a purchase at the ledger, so I looked it up: Red is low, white is OK, yellow is well-stocked. Haven't hung around camp long enough to see if anyone actually takes tins of beans or boxes of shotgun shells, but I like to imagine they do. :3:

generic one fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 9, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

generic one posted:

What idiot said to themselves, “we need three colors for full, ok, and low...hmm...what three colors would everyone recognize as three stages of full, medium, and low...Well red is bad, so that can be ‘needs more.’ And yellow and red are pretty recognized colors for caution and so on. Maybe green for well stocked, and...no, I got it! Yellow for stocked, white for ok, and red for low! Genius.”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It makes more sense in the context of the “gold=fortified” scheme that the game uses for other things

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ainsley McTree posted:

It makes more sense in the context of the “gold=fortified” scheme that the game uses for other things

Also gold icons for story missions, white for side missions.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Is there a guide anywhere to the fence inventory? Is potent better than special? Is horse meal worth it? Does a lock breaker offer any special benefit vs just jimmying things open with your knife?

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
:siren: There's 10 gold bars on offer for RDO (and $ for GTAO) if you enable 2-factor authentication on your Social Club account: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/events/UUc9x2FW/double-gta-and-rp-in-top-fun/1

generic one posted:

Well that just blew my mind. I played through the entire game thinking that yellow was low lol.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Barnes And Body Works posted:

I don't think there's a bigger boy in RDR2, but here's probably the biggest horse that's been alive on Earth, his name was Samson who was born in 1846! He was around 3,300 pounds!

Dutch's plan all along was to get all that money together so he could buy Samson for Arthur as a birthday present :smith:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

So it’s gold-silver-red? Ok I’ll accept it

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

So it’s gold-silver-red? Ok I’ll accept it

bronze is just the coward version of red

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

Fanatic posted:

:siren: There's 10 gold bars on offer for RDO (and $ for GTAO) if you enable 2-factor authentication on your Social Club account: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/events/UUc9x2FW/double-gta-and-rp-in-top-fun/1

I just tried to set this up, because hey, free gold, and social club won't accept it. Classic.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ICMB posted:

I just tried to set this up, because hey, free gold, and social club won't accept it. Classic.

Give it 5 years or so, it should work eventuallly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

ICMB posted:

I got it to work with Microsoft Authenticator. They only accept these authenticators: https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/360000031787/2-Step-Verification-Authenticator-Apps-for-Use-with-Social-Club

Then just scan the 2FA QR code with the app and quickly put in the number it generates along your Social Club password. I guess double check your PSN/XBL account is linked to Social Club first.