Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, I was sceptical before because I figured most of the accusations against Jackson didn't fit the usual MO, but those absolutely do.

I suppose it goes both ways, someone normal and presentable can be 'I can't believe he'd ever do that', someone outright weird can be 'he can't have done that, it's just too obvious'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So what do you all make of this then?

https://twitter.com/santikapowski/status/1100828185963479042

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Twitter is the worst format for blog posts

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Victims of abuse doesn't behave rationally.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The family in the kidnapped in plain sight doc dropped charges twice against that dude.

Imo that’s equally as hosed as this MJ thing. MJ is just more famous and had way more power/money.

The whole “he didn’t have a childhood, so he hangs out with kids only” is some crazy bullshit

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Len posted:

Twitter is the worst format for blog posts

That's one thing we can both agree on!

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I feel like MJ is also shielded by the fact that this story has been around for a long time. Even if the waters are less muddy now and there are credible stories, people are less likely to backtread and admit that they excused a predator for over a decade. It’s much easier to turn on someone like Kevin Spacey where it’s a “We just didn’t know” situation.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
R. Kelly just gave an insane interview to CBS and the internet is already having fun with it:

https://twitter.com/Donte3K/status/1103318162471337986

lol

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
R Kelly's publicist mentally saying the longest fuuuuuuck in history.

People have pointed out the similarity with Brett Kavanaugh, gettin' real mad to convince people you're innocent.

When he starts ranting about 'real women being kidnapped, raped, on chains' I imagine he simply thinks what he does isn't that bad.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Posting Joe Rogan because why not?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibr0w0zUWzs

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

R Kelly got awfully descriptive with the list of crimes he's accused of.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

I feel like MJ is also shielded by the fact that this story has been around for a long time. Even if the waters are less muddy now and there are credible stories, people are less likely to backtread and admit that they excused a predator for over a decade. It’s much easier to turn on someone like Kevin Spacey where it’s a “We just didn’t know” situation.

I remember coverage mainly focusing on Feldman and Culkin, who both denied it. Both-siding it by saying they weren’t molested, as if the fact that he didn’t rape two very famous child stars is proof of innocence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

R Kelly got awfully descriptive with the list of crimes he's accused of.

Be kind of funny horrifying if he'd named some poo poo he hasn't been accused of yet.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember coverage mainly focusing on Feldman and Culkin, who both denied it. Both-siding it by saying they weren’t molested, as if the fact that he didn’t rape two very famous child stars is proof of innocence.

It’s a hosed-up dichotomy where people were willing to believe two famous kids as gospel and not consider the fact that Jackson was maybe just smart enough to prey on lower-profile boys. There’s kind of an implication of “well how could he stop himself from molesting Culkin or Feldman if he was molesting all these other boys?” And it’s like, uh, maybe he knew exactly what the gently caress he was doing when he didn’t?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Rhyno posted:

Be kind of funny horrifying if he'd named some poo poo he hasn't been accused of yet.

While getting visibly aroused.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

It’s a hosed-up dichotomy where people were willing to believe two famous kids as gospel and not consider the fact that Jackson was maybe just smart enough to prey on lower-profile boys. There’s kind of an implication of “well how could he stop himself from molesting Culkin or Feldman if he was molesting all these other boys?” And it’s like, uh, maybe he knew exactly what the gently caress he was doing when he didn’t?

He knew exactly what he was doing. He spent hours and hours indoctrinating the boys into this idea that the world wouldn't understand their relationship and that *both* of their lives would come to an end if anyone ever found out. It makes sense to me that Jackson would've been in control enough to realize that attempting to do something with someone famous like Culkin or Feldman would make for an uncontainable situation if it ever got out. Whereas with more anonymous fans, he'd be able to sweep it under the rug with settlements and the public may not ever have to hear about it.

It's like saying that a serial killer is innocent because he didn't just immediately murder every woman he ever interacted with. No, they target certain victims because of their vulnerability, that's how these things work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vagabundo posted:

While getting visibly aroused.

Ewwwwwwwww.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R. Kelly blames parents for ‘selling’ daughters to him
https://pagesix.com/2019/03/06/r-kelly-claims-parents-sold-daughters-to-him/

R. Kelly denies sexual abuse allegations in explosive interview
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/r-kelly-denies-sexual-abuse-allegations-in-explosive-interview-2019-03-05/

How a future Trump Cabinet member gave a serial sex abuser the deal of a lifetime
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article220097825.html

Ian McKellen has apologized for remarks about Spacey, Singer
https://apnews.com/4103151f2d25404cbeb4b60c0153462b

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

R Kelly denying that he had anything to do with anything ever and its all a plot against him is pretty much the play by play for serial abusers. Like Christ dude they have you on video and thy probably now have more videos of you.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...ionship-1192660

quote:

Hundreds of leaked text messages between Kevin Tsujihara, actress Charlotte Kirk and partners Brett Ratner and James Packer show the powerful executive, under pressure, said repeatedly he would push for auditions as accusations of "extortion" and a proposed settlement agreement followed. WarnerMedia says it will investigate.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

TL;DR Warner Bros CEO Kevin Tsujihara (who btw is married) has been caught red-handed through texts of having hosed an aspiring actress in exchange for the promise of TV and film roles, in a tryst that was set up by Brett Ratner. Then she got pissed off because a CEO recommending a nobody actress to casting directors for bit parts is so transparent that Tsujihara only tried it once before backing off and telling her he couldn't do much for her, causing her to go back to Ratner complaining that he hadn't held up his end of the bargain. Unfortunately, the whole thing's probably Hollywood business as usual.

And lol at the article's title of "sexual relationship." There was no relationship, it was just a blatant casting couch trade of sex for roles.

Also, interesting to see sleazebag Avi Lerner's name crop up again.

Edit: What actually seems to have happened, and what the actress in question seemed to have eventually pieced together, is that Brett Ratner offered up this actress, Charlotte Kirk to WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara as a sort of gift/deal-sweetener while his production company was negotiating a deal with WB (promising her that she could get roles through Tsujihara, which was untrue). After she apparently figured it out and got pissed at Ratner, he first told her that if she wanted to get a role for sex she should have hosed a director or producer instead, then tried to tie up the loose end by trying to get his pal Avi Lerner to find a role for her in one of his Millennium Film's movies. Apparently that fell through, because I assume that Kirk is that one who leaked all the texts to THR.

In case you have a short memory, Avi Lerner is both the guy who told Terry Crews that he needed to drop his lawsuit against the agent who groped him if he wanted to be in the next Expendables movie, and the guy who insisted a couple weeks ago that he was going to have Bryan Singer direct a Red Sonya movie before public outcry forced Millennium Films to reverse course. And has his own sexual harassment allegations against him.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 7, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kevin Tsujihara will probably keep his job.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

President Trump pictured with founder of the spa at the center of Robert Kraft allegations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYwcCfmIcNk

R. Kelly arrested after failing to pay $161K in child support
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/r-kelly-arrested-failing-pay-nearly-161k-child-support-222113921.html

Michael Jackson songs banned from radio stations around the world
https://www.nme.com/news/music/michael-jackson-songs-banned-from-radio-stations-around-the-world-2457781

Paris Jackson Speaks Out for the First Time Since Airing of 'Leaving Neverland' Documentary
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/paris-jackson-speaks-first-time-015006452.html

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jussie just got turbofucked by the grand jury

https://abcnews.go.com/US/grand-jury-returns-16-count-felony-indictment-empire/story?id=61566445

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

loving awesome. The world is already a terrible place the last thing we need is idiots pretending to make it worse.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Does he now get to cry wolf in prison?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m not gonna defend what he did but it’s very telling that in literally the same week, a black man gets 16 felony charges for faking a hate crime and a rich white guy gets under 4 years in prison for committing so many white collar crimes that his names is basically synonymous with “does lots of crimes”

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'd be very interested in finding out who the gently caress it was that paid R. Kelly's back child support of $161k(!) to get him out of jail.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/national/hot-topics/r-kelly-set-to-be-released-from-jail-161-000-child-support-bill-paid/928940755

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fart City posted:

I'd be very interested in finding out who the gently caress it was that paid R. Kelly's back child support of $161k(!) to get him out of jail.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/national/hot-topics/r-kelly-set-to-be-released-from-jail-161-000-child-support-bill-paid/928940755

I saw some speculation that he has hidden his fortune very expertly and these "friends" are actually employees who are just handling the money access.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I honestly find it absolutely loving gross just how many felony counts he got slammed with. Compared with Manafort and the deadly seriousness of what he did and the insane leniency of the sentence, well... Ugh. Jussie isn't just black though, he's black *and* he's gay, and he actually portrayed a character in a positive nuanced way that was not a total cliche. That is part of what makes it all SO loving infuriating and also sad! I mean, poo poo - you can probably count the number of gay black men you've actually seen in mainstream film/TV that were NOT tokens/cliches on one hand - if you get to two hands, then I'll be very impressed. So Jussie Smollett just really, deeply hosed up by like doing the worst possible thing, as practically the first gay black man to ever get to PLAY a gay black man as a main character on a legit good show. Such a hosed up thing.

I have another thing to add. I'll put a note here that it involves Michael Jackson and might be upsetting? But we need to talk about these things.

So um, Michael's first child was (Prince) Michael Jackson Jr born in Feb 1997. Paris was born in April 1998, and 'Blanket' was born in 2002, and is 17 now.

I know it's upsetting to hear but it seems almost certain to me that Jackson would have molested one or both of his sons. These were boys that he had unrestricted access to, and may or may not have been actually related to. The (possibly vast) majority of child sexual abuse takes place within families for this very reason - because of access more than anything else. The people who do it are sick and vile scum and it's difficult not to feel tremendous anger about it... But it's a truth.

I think this is something people are... almost purposely not thinking about or bringing up because it's almost too horrible to contemplate or imagine. But it happens, just... all the time. And in this case, I'd bet for sure that it happened given that Jackson sincerely appeared to believe that he could do this, and pedophiles do not think like we do when it comes to these things. It is unimaginable to most of us, it's so vile. But I expect this will come out.

In fact, I just read in a story that Michael's youngest son, 'Blanket' who goes by Biji, has apparently gone mute and not said a single word since the 'documentary aired'. I don't know if he saw it, I assume he maybe did? He is currently 17. But apparently he is usually talkative and happy so everyone is shocked and worried. But, uh... It seems extremely, extremely obvious to me, and frankly downright chilling.

I mean, what do you think that means? That Jackson's 17-year-old son who would have been 7-8 at the time of Jackson's death, has gone TOTALLY mute and simply won't say a single word. I'm not a psychiatrist or a psychologist, I'm not even a therapist. But the meaning of something like that seems heartbreakingly obvious and I hope to god that the boy is not upset because Jackson abused him. But if it looks like a trauma victim and acts like a trauma victim.... it's probably a trauma victim :(

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Not doubting the documentary. I’ve always thought MJs behaviour was suspect and it was weird people accepted it.

But what about these specific allegations has changed peoples perceptions to believe them this time?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I'm still waiting for someone to present a coherent explanation of why it's more likely that Jussie Smollett staged a hate crime against himself to... get revenge on his bosses?... than that he was the victim of a hate crime and the CPD are just mad incompetent and racist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

K. Waste posted:

I'm still waiting for someone to present a coherent explanation of why it's more likely that Jussie Smollett staged a hate crime against himself to... get revenge on his bosses?... than that he was the victim of a hate crime and the CPD are just mad incompetent and racist.

I find it really funny that there were all these leaks about how he was totally faking and full of poo poo, then the FBI took over like all the 'yea, get his rear end' people wanted, the leaks died except for a couple like, oh, 'the CPD overstated its case' and 'actually he may not have faked the letter' and 'in the grand jury the brothers testified that he did indeed pay them for physical training and that's why the only checks he actually wrote for them had his video project's name in the memo line and all'.

I don't think there's some secret Real Chud who actually did it, I think the brothers rolled him wearing hats and talking poo poo as a cover, he reported what happened, and the CPD went nuts trying to prove the mean black guy who doesn't like Trump lied.

The idea that this entire case hinges on testimony at the actual 46th hour from the two guys who probably did try to gently caress him up, that it was an elaborate hoax he paid for in check because he...wanted a raise...is so insane that I can't believe anyone believes it coming from the Chicago 'we literally got busted torturing people woops' PD.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Because they have both video and financial records of his friends buying the rope for the noose that was found on him? And those friends have already admitted that everything was staged? And because the original story of two random chuds walking around downtown Chicago in a polar vortex was obviously bullshit?

As for what he had to gain? Just look at what happened: Multiple celebrities and presidential candidates made a big noise about him, he got a bunch of high-profile interviews, the Empire showrunners were basically forced to declare that they weren't getting rid of his character, and all this right when he'd just released an album? Yep, nothing to gain, nothing at all.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
Gonna be great when he gets maybe 6 months probation and everyone has a meltdown over that for different reasons.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

K. Waste posted:

You guys really need to take a step back and look at this tinfoil poo poo.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

teacup posted:

Not doubting the documentary. I’ve always thought MJs behaviour was suspect and it was weird people accepted it.

But what about these specific allegations has changed peoples perceptions to believe them this time?

i think that it was easier to just not think about before

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Re: Blanket, there could be a number of reasons why he responded that way.

It's possible he was molested himself and the doc made him relive his trauma. It's also possible that he wasn't molested and just found out his dad was probably a monster. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea it's entirely possible that Blanket went through his life genuinely believing 'oh, no those guys talking about that stuff are just making poo poo up about my dad' and that was his first moment of 'ooooh gently caress no dad was probably horrible'. It's really a little ghoulish to start speculating if someone was molested based on just social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Corey Feldman can 'no longer' defend Michael Jackson after 'horrendous' abuse allegations
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/03/07/corey-feldman-can-no-longer-defend-michael-jackson-after-neverland/3098442002/

‘Let Him Rest!’ Michael Jackson's Brother Cries During Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjL6mvQfDCc

At Least 60 Northwestern Hospital Employees Fired for Accessing Smollett’s Profile, Records: Sources
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/northwestern-memorial-hospital-employees-fired-jussie-smsollett-records-506838591.html

Fart City posted:

Maybe the same restaurateur who already took some flak for the first bail.

Woman Who Bailed R. Kelly Out of Jail Gets Backlash, Restaurant Trashed Online
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/woman-bailed-r-kelly-jail-215155858.html

kaworu posted:

I honestly find it absolutely loving gross just how many felony counts he got slammed with. Compared with Manafort and the deadly seriousness of what he did and the insane leniency of the sentence, well... Ugh.

Jussie Smollett has more $$$ than the average person but anyone connected to national politicians has way more $$$/influence than him. Jussie Smollett is not a multi-billionaire etc.