Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Artyom’s footstep noises are so bad. I hope they fix that because it’s annoying the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
One of the other characters makes fun of this at some point in the game. “Don’t worry about Artyom. He is built like tank! Listen to him walk!”

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It’s been a while since I last played a Metro game. I forgot how everyone likes to talk over each other. And that they like to talk a lot.

And there’s other sound bugs like constantly hearing my heart beat like I’m injured but I’m not...

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

ZeeBoi posted:

Artyom’s footstep noises are so bad. I hope they fix that because it’s annoying the hell out of me.
If you play with headphones loads of the noises are bad. Some are weirdly dry sounding but mostly the positioning is really off.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ZeeBoi posted:

And there’s other sound bugs like constantly hearing my heart beat like I’m injured but I’m not...

Sprinting and running out of stamina also causes this.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Dogen posted:

Sprinting and running out of stamina also causes this.

I was doing none of these things, it was during the cutscene on the train after you escape the radio jammer location (i just started playing this game, can't you tell?), and then continued for the entire gameplay sequence where I had to blow up the super armoured train.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

toiletbrush posted:

If you play with headphones loads of the noises are bad. Some are weirdly dry sounding but mostly the positioning is really off.

Playing with a 5.1 surround system on my PS4

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ZeeBoi posted:

I was doing none of these things, it was during the cutscene on the train after you escape the radio jammer location (i just started playing this game, can't you tell?), and then continued for the entire gameplay sequence where I had to blow up the super armoured train.

Ah

My favorite bug is sometimes I put on my gas mask and still pass out and die

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dogen posted:

Ah

Maybe Artyom farted right before he reached down and put on the mask.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dogen posted:

Ah

Is there a hole in it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No! As far as I can tell it happens if I like, flick the lighter at the same time, or do something similar. If I try to do anything too near in time to gas mask putting on, it messes up somehow.

I know to tape up my mask if it gets too messed up and I can’t get to a bench

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ending Why I am still seeing the sparkling in my vision during the scene on the train? That's a sign that you are being irradiated, not a symptom of radiation sickness.

Edit: Also, I really, really don't think Artyom should be having kids now.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 10, 2019

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

It’s great how I can hardly hear someone talk when on the train and outside unless I turn my back to them so the voice doesn’t come out of my central speaker and is is suddenly louder.

Edit: changing the dynamic volume setting on my receiver kinda fixed it.

ZeeBoi fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 10, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The Lone Badger posted:

Ending
Edit: Also, I really, really don't think Artyom should be having kids now.

I mean, could he even?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

What the hell is up with walking in this game. Often time it feels like my character is stuck in mud, it then suddenly it’ll be okay again and then back to stuck in mud.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ZeeBoi posted:

What the hell is up with walking in this game. Often time it feels like my character is stuck in mud, it then suddenly it’ll be okay again and then back to stuck in mud.

Spiderwebs or underbrush, probably. The spiderwebs you can burn away with your lighter, but I dont know if theres a solution for the underbrush.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

it happens on the train too, though :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

ZeeBoi posted:

it happens on the train too, though :(

No running on the train!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
It seems like the view is too short some times Iike I’m only 5’ tall.

You can make the game softlock with the car if you try to do stunts.

The AI partners are actually helpful in fights and are great at picking spots and providing cover.

You can sneak past the slavers or kill them? Easy choice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I felt kind of bad killing the Tsarfish because it spent that entire section of the game eating mutants for me. Oh well, I will see you in hell giant catfish

Also I fell in the water and a lobster ate me :(

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Zzulu posted:

I felt kind of bad killing the Tsarfish because it spent that entire section of the game eating mutants for me. Oh well, I will see you in hell giant catfish

Also I fell in the water and a lobster ate me :(

I was trying to explore the southern part of the map before that section and he would not leave me the gently caress alone so I was very happy to kill that fucker

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
So, uh, no one's told these characters that it's rude to talk over someone, and that you should let them finish their sentences before you respond? Or is it that in the wastes, time is too precious to let someone finish a thought?

(Sorry, I'm trying to make a joke. I'll try not to let it happen again).

Seriously, though--I've read others mention this, and suggest it's in other Metro games, too. Is it because of dubbing it from the original Russian? I kinda figured they would have ways around having to do that when it happens, but I guess it could be a lot more work than I imagine to make it so then characters' timing works in other languages. Still, it's, like, my only and best guess as to why this happens so comically often. I've made an inside joke with myself that they've developed a power to foresee the last part of the person they're speaking with's thoughts.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
it has mostly to do with the roughness of the scripting such that if you're only a little bit careless you walk over multiple conversation triggers. or at least that's my idea of the largest problem.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Zane posted:

it has mostly to do with the roughness of the scripting such that if you're only a little bit careless you walk over multiple conversation triggers.

But what about when it happens during cutscenes where I can only turn the camera? I figured out the conversation trigger thing pretty early on when going through the train. But like, for the last example I experienced, when Miller and Katya are talking about medicine while on the bridge after the Caspian (trying not to say too much or have to spoiler tag anything). It happened a few times there.

And I'm honestly not complaining, it doesn't bother me. I just really notice it and it kind of amuses me.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Also, I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I want to be sure and I admittedly don't feel compelled to go through and look for it, but: knocking people out is okay if you're trying to go entirely nonlethal, and will still yield the achievements for not hurting certain enemies, right? Also, if they are shooting you and you melee them until they are down, is that a KO or a kill? Do KOs only work when you get that prompt?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I had the impression that in those scenes it was on purpose, since they don't finish their sentences sometimes.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

haldolium posted:

I had the impression that in those scenes it was on purpose, since they don't finish their sentences sometimes.

Yeah, that's possible and acceptable.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Really can't overstate how good this game is. I wasn't particularly excited when they announced 'Metro' was no longer being centered around the metro, and I was worried the series would lose it's identity by going open world, but this game far exceeded my expectations and even scratched my STALKER itch at the same time. Really blown away by the attention to detail in both the graphics and sound as well as the dialogue. Seriously, if you enjoy that kind of thing, you can sit for hours throughout the game just listening to characters interact with each other and with Artryom, it's pretty neat. I recommend playing on Hardcore for your first playthrough if you are already interested in playing stealthily. Didn't have issues with ammo the entire game and most sections reward you with special dialogue if you can complete it without killing or being detected.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Boy did I bring the wrong weapons to meet Barron. 😔

Dogen
May 5, 2002

You can always pick weapons up off the floor. I didn’t bring a shotgun to the terminal and it wasn’t fun.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Terra-da-loo! posted:

So, uh, no one's told these characters that it's rude to talk over someone, and that you should let them finish their sentences before you respond? Or is it that in the wastes, time is too precious to let someone finish a thought?

(Sorry, I'm trying to make a joke. I'll try not to let it happen again).

Seriously, though--I've read others mention this, and suggest it's in other Metro games, too. Is it because of dubbing it from the original Russian? I kinda figured they would have ways around having to do that when it happens, but I guess it could be a lot more work than I imagine to make it so then characters' timing works in other languages. Still, it's, like, my only and best guess as to why this happens so comically often. I've made an inside joke with myself that they've developed a power to foresee the last part of the person they're speaking with's thoughts.

smh at any goon here that doesnt play with russian dubs, the way the game was meant to be played

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Also, I'm sure this has been covered here before, but I want to be sure and I admittedly don't feel compelled to go through and look for it, but: knocking people out is okay if you're trying to go entirely nonlethal, and will still yield the achievements for not hurting certain enemies, right? Also, if they are shooting you and you melee them until they are down, is that a KO or a kill? Do KOs only work when you get that prompt?

KOing with the pop up button press is non-lethal and acceptable even when someone is like "Hey don't hurt X" Artyom handing out naps is cool and good, regular melee will kill after enough damage is done however if you shoot an alert enemy to stagger and or get behind them still you can do the execute or knockout still.

Really and especially in stealth situations even if someone sees you and becomes alerted until they shout and finish that line of dialogue or pull the trigger you can hand them a free nap and nobody else will be the wiser, the stealth is extremely kind in that, especially with the voice lines, they don't count as completed until the dialogue itself is done so if someone goes "He's Her-" you are still in the clear, ain't nobody give a poo poo.

A Metro fun fact is enemies who are alerted by gunfire and or finding a dead friend will eventually go back to unalerted status, it just takes a long enough while that it is faster to reload and gently caress it up a few more times. Throwing knives trigger that a lot too, if you knife someone and their corpse flings into a bright spot or you just miss and they notice the knife toss if they haven't seen you yet you can just zoidberg out and wait for them to cool it.

And yes KO's only work in the pre-animated take downs.

Also another fun stealth note, use the silenced pistol to shoot lights out, it is very generous with how close they have to be before noticing you shot a light. Height is also your foremost friend, the cone on their vision is laughably bad in terms of looking up.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

smh at any goon here that doesnt play with russian dubs, the way the game was meant to be played

I always try this but a ton of incidental dialogue isn't translated and that dialogue tends to be really entertaining.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Feonir posted:

KOing with the pop up button press is non-lethal and acceptable even when someone is like "Hey don't hurt X" Artyom handing out naps is cool and good, regular melee will kill after enough damage is done however if you shoot an alert enemy to stagger and or get behind them still you can do the execute or knockout still.

Really and especially in stealth situations even if someone sees you and becomes alerted until they shout and finish that line of dialogue or pull the trigger you can hand them a free nap and nobody else will be the wiser, the stealth is extremely kind in that, especially with the voice lines, they don't count as completed until the dialogue itself is done so if someone goes "He's Her-" you are still in the clear, ain't nobody give a poo poo.

A Metro fun fact is enemies who are alerted by gunfire and or finding a dead friend will eventually go back to unalerted status, it just takes a long enough while that it is faster to reload and gently caress it up a few more times. Throwing knives trigger that a lot too, if you knife someone and their corpse flings into a bright spot or you just miss and they notice the knife toss if they haven't seen you yet you can just zoidberg out and wait for them to cool it.

Also another fun stealth note, use the silenced pistol to shoot lights out, it is very generous with how close they have to be before noticing you shot a light. Height is also your foremost friend, the cone on their vision is laughably bad in terms of looking up.

If enemies do go back pre-alert it must be a function of actual time rather than game time. When I was moving through the Pirate swamp base someone found a napping friend and since everyone gets better vision when they're alerted I backed out to see if they would. After a few minutes of them still be very cautious (and occasionally even noticing me way outside the camp) I went back to the camp fire and waited an entire cycle. They were still alerted when I went back.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Feonir posted:

Appreciated! Very helpful.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Just beat it and got the good ending. Fantastic game. I loved when all the crew runs to you. The looks on their faces is so good.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

Oh my god there is a first aid pack on the back table of the Barren fight.

Whistle Villain
Jul 31, 2009
Good game. Rough around the edges but it's got heart like the other Metro games. It took me forever to finish but I also did basically everything and listened to every conversation I could. Kind of bummed it's over.

Anna is a way better character this time around too. I haven't played Last Light since it came out but I remember her being pretty bad. It's still awkward that Artyom doesn't speak (at least in one-on-one conversations) but you get used to it.

I got the good ending and thought it was well done. I looked up the bad ending and was glad to see Khan (and others). I thought they forgot him.

Bit weird to play a Metro game that isn't about the Dark Ones or the metro but I think that made it easier to get into after not touching the series in a while. Some things might be lost on you but you can probably pick this game up without playing the other two and not be lost.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah probably the number one thing I missed was trudging through metro. I think that’s what made the final sequence extra annoying was that I was kind of happy to be back in it and then the gameplay was super lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
I think I was the only one who enjoyed the ending bit, I was extremely stocked up on ammo and just used it all up. It was cathartic to be back doing what rangers do best, eradicating tunnel trash.

Although I absolutely never fired a shot at the gorilla's at the end, they were just hungry monkeys, we're cool giant hungry monkey.