Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah my ideal cut of Aliens and T2 would be the theatrical with the sentry and chip scenes put back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The scene where Ripley finds out her daughter died is the one scene that they should’ve kept.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

CelticPredator posted:

The scene where Ripley finds out her daughter died is the one scene that they should’ve kept.

Oh yeah I forget that's in the extended. Everything but the Hadley's Hope intro, that's a bit unnecessary

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

First time I saw that I was convinced I entered an alternate reality. It aired on FX one afternoon. Didn’t think they did that as a kid but I suppose it helps pad out the time you cut from it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah my ideal cut of Aliens and T2 would be the theatrical with the sentry and chip scenes put back in.

Yeah, the chip scene is the only one that I feel would have added to the theatrical cut. I guess the smile scene is neat in developing John Connor's bond with the Terminator, and seeing Kyle Reese in the dream sequence is neat, but I totally get why they were cut.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I prefer the director’s cut of both Aliens and T2. I think they’re more rounded and paint a fuller picture.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Basebf555 posted:

Seems unlikely to me, Cameron usually seems to be pretty proud of his director's cuts. Unlike, say, Ridley Scott who does an intro to every director's cut where he basically says "we found some footage that had been cut and thought some fans might enjoy seeing it, but keep in mind the theatrical cut is the real movie".

Blade Runner is obvious, but I know he insists the Kingdom of Heaven and Legend Director's Cut are the proper versions fwiw.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

First time I saw that I was convinced I entered an alternate reality. It aired on FX one afternoon. Didn’t think they did that as a kid but I suppose it helps pad out the time you cut from it.

:same:

Although I saw it on network TV and Aliens was a two night event, and I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, so after a while I just assumed I had dreamed it all up.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Slutitution posted:

Blade Runner is obvious, but I know he insists the Kingdom of Heaven and Legend Director's Cut are the proper versions fwiw.

Yeah, the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven is trash. It's probably the starkest example (maybe the only example) of a movie going from complete garbage in the theater to really really good at home release.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Slutitution posted:

I guess it's more of an even split then. I watched the directors cut of Gladiator recently and he did a very similar intro to the one for Alien where he kinda just says hey yea the fans like extra footage but the real movie is the one I released in theaters.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven is trash. It's probably the starkest example (maybe the only example) of a movie going from complete garbage in the theater to really really good at home release.
I wouldn't say the theatrical is trash, but it's a huuuuge downgrade.

I bring it up every time theatrical vs director's cut comes up, but the DC for Terminator: Salvation is only about 45 seconds longer than the theatrical cut, and all it does is lengthen a scene so you get to see Moon Bloodgood's boobs. The director had a press conference where he whined about the studio telling him to cut it, and then loudly asking everyone present "Who here wants to see Moon's tits" while she stood next to him uncomfortably. What a douche.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Casimir Radon posted:

What a douche.

Someone who calls himself "McG" is a douche. The devil you say.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Somehow Captain Marvel is getting a Euro 3d bluray release. I'm shocked, I assumed there would be no more big home releases. I wonder if Avengers Endgame will get one.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Flip your Simpsons Season 3 DVDs before the frenzy dies down.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Boinks posted:

Are those even out of print?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’m just imagining the disappointment when Jackson turned up to do his recording, and met the voice behind Bart Simpson.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

Are those even out of print?

They're pulling the Michael Jackson episode from their streaming service and syndication so soon the old DVDs will be the only way to see it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Monday_ posted:

They're pulling the Michael Jackson episode from their streaming service and syndication so soon the old DVDs will be the only way to see it.

That or...you know...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Boinks posted:

Yeah. I grabbed a S3 a day before the news really sunk in and paid $10.

Some sets are going between $25 - $100+

So looks like my summer plan of getting S1-10 on disc miiiiight need some adjustment.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Monday_ posted:

Oh I know that, I just was unaware that the DVD set was out of print. I also don't understand why people are drastically over paying for that because it;s not rare or anything. I looked at sold auctions and people were paying next to nothing for it a few weeks ago. There was one that sold in February for four dollars. I'm definitely going to sell mine because those episodes suck.

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. I grabbed a S3 a day before the news really sunk in and paid $10.

Some sets are going between $25 - $100+

So looks like my summer plan of getting S1-10 on disc miiiiight need some adjustment.

The first two seasons are just about unwatchable. Three is mediocre at its best moments. Four is only slightly better than that. five-eight is the peak. Nine has a handful of good episodes, ten is where it started to go downhill.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
S1&2 still have that weird squishy Klasky Csupo look, in addition to those odd emotionally resonant eps like Bart Gets and F or Bart the Genius.

And yeah, 10 is my cutoff for the series holding my attention. I think that's when I started background watching it while doing homework or whatever.

Anyway, just realized my wife might have S1&S2 somewhere, so it's really just 5-9 or 10 to pick up. I have S4 on Digital but I realized the aspect ratio is hosed and it drives me bonkers.

The First 10 usually went on ebay for $50-100, so it's interesting to see how this announcement will affect costs.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I remember paying something like $20 for the first 8 seasons. It’s a shame the HD remastering is such dog poo poo.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I’m actually surprised Fox didn’t find it worthwhile to re-scan unless Fox junked the film after the original transfers.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

S1&2 still have that weird squishy Klasky Csupo look, in addition to those odd emotionally resonant eps like Bart Gets and F or Bart the Genius.

And yeah, 10 is my cutoff for the series holding my attention. I think that's when I started background watching it while doing homework or whatever.

Anyway, just realized my wife might have S1&S2 somewhere, so it's really just 5-9 or 10 to pick up. I have S4 on Digital but I realized the aspect ratio is hosed and it drives me bonkers.

The First 10 usually went on ebay for $50-100, so it's interesting to see how this announcement will affect costs.

I kinda hate the sentimental episodes from the early run and I thought the aesthetic was awful so maybe that's why I don't like them at all. I was checking sold auctions and a 1-9 collection sold for 500 loving dollars. It's insane what people are paying for these. I don't think I paid more then 15 bucks for any single one of them. I actually got season 3 from someone in SA mart years ago with season 4 for like ten bucks or something. I guess part of this must be because they hosed up the aspect ratio on streaming and FX reruns. I wasn't even aware the DVDs were out of print.

Egbert Souse posted:

I’m actually surprised Fox didn’t find it worthwhile to re-scan unless Fox junked the film after the original transfers.

Fox seems to have mostly given up on physical releases for their tv properties. Especially on blu-ray. I'm still surprised they even bothered with the X-Files.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Fox seems to have mostly given up on physical releases for their tv properties. Especially on blu-ray. I'm still surprised they even bothered with the X-Files.

Not just for physical release, but for rebroadcast. WB went back to the original negatives for Batman: TAS and re-rendered Samurai Jack.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Not just for physical release, but for rebroadcast. WB went back to the original negatives for Batman: TAS and re-rendered Samurai Jack.

Batman is also one I never thought I'd see. Does Fox still have any control over that or is it strictly in Warner's hands now?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

CPL593H posted:

Oh I know that, I just was unaware that the DVD set was out of print. I also don't understand why people are drastically over paying for that because it;s not rare or anything. I looked at sold auctions and people were paying next to nothing for it a few weeks ago. There was one that sold in February for four dollars. I'm definitely going to sell mine because those episodes suck.

It's not out of print as far as I know, but they also said new pressings of the DVD won't have that episode.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Monday_ posted:

It's not out of print as far as I know, but they also said new pressings of the DVD won't have that episode.

It's not even a good episode.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
The Half Price Books near me usually has a shelf full of Simpsons DVDs and even some in the clearance section for $3-4. So I decided to take a look and there was a big gap on the shelf beteewn seasons 2 and 4. First I laughed thinking someone bought all copies of season 3 to resell. Then I looked in the display case where they had 2 copies of season 3 for $50 each, both labeled "OUT OF PRINT".

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this DVD set I got for $20 over a decade ago is now one of the more valuable things on my shelf. Even if that value will drop back down in a couple weeks when everyone calms down about this whole thing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If the other ones aren't out of print then why the hell are people paying so much for some of them?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CPL593H posted:

If the other ones aren't out of print then why the hell are people paying so much for some of them?

The same reason the first printing of Rick and Morty season one sells for $50-100;

People are stupid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
R&M's 1st print had that True Morty Rickt Tract though, right?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

FilthyImp posted:

It’s just a lovely little ten panel comic though

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Crazy to see people pay absurd prices for stupid poo poo. Thankfully no one in the physical media thread would stoop so low.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'm at the point where I'll pony up the costs of getting OOP stuff.

I was lucky to find the last two animation-based Walt Disney Treasures I needed to complete my collection (The Complete Pluto Vol. 1 and 2) on eBay for $100 for them together. It evens out in the end considering I usually buy stuff only while on sale - Criterions during flash sales and B&N's sales, Kino and Warner Archive during their sales, etc.

CPL593H posted:

Batman is also one I never thought I'd see. Does Fox still have any control over that or is it strictly in Warner's hands now?

TAS is 100% Warner - it was just broadcast on Fox.

For the 60s show, Fox owns it outright except they'd have to license rights from DC. I think what was worked out was that Fox licensed the show for a reasonable amount as long as WB handled the remastering and physical release.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

FilthyImp posted:

Goddamn I have that and honestly if I could make a quick buck selling the bluray I probably would

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will die with that in my hand.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Walmart preorders are up: $14.96

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 11, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't really think that the Simpsons season 3 is OOP, but maybe it's because they're just not selling like they did 10 years ago, and it's just smaller runs. Considering that my season 1 and 2 DVD sets are the latest additions, they have the 2012 packaging where it's a flimsy slipcover with a box-flap, as opposed to the older ones which had a sturdier slipcover and no flap.

If anything S3 is probably only temporarily OOP to erase that one episode from another reissue.

CPL593H posted:

I really want the Orville on Blu-Ray, but it's DVD only because Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't really think that the Simpsons season 3 is OOP, but maybe it's because they're just not selling like they did 10 years ago, and it's just smaller runs. Considering that my season 1 and 2 DVD sets are the latest additions, they have the 2012 packaging where it's a flimsy slipcover with a box-flap, as opposed to the older ones which had a sturdier slipcover and no flap.

If anything S3 is probably only temporarily OOP to erase that one episode from another reissue.

I really want the Orville on Blu-Ray, but it's DVD only because Fox.

They probably don;t sell as many copies as they used to for the old seasons because they've been out for a long rear end time and there's a lot of copies on circulation which everyone has been buying used for years. I have seasons 3-9 all of which I probably got 8-10 years ago and I bought none of them new. Even that long ago used copies were everywhere. In fact I don;t think I've seen a sealed copy of the 1-10 seasons since around the time they were originally released. So I can definitely see them having smaller runs in more recent years.