Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Thanks for the info so far, it sounds like I could get something like I was thinking about.

My fiancé has the Mazda 3 Sedan and we’ve taken it on long drives and liked it, but I haven’t tried a hatchback version. Is it relatively the same or is there a noticible power difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Chicken Doodle posted:

Thanks for the info so far, it sounds like I could get something like I was thinking about.

My fiancé has the Mazda 3 Sedan and we’ve taken it on long drives and liked it, but I haven’t tried a hatchback version. Is it relatively the same or is there a noticible power difference?

It's the same as long as you're comparing the same motors.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I'm looking for a car with seats that are better for my back, as I recently got a job involving long commutes, and also a child. This is Denmark and we have an insane 100% car tax so everything is hella expensive. I am leasing an Opel Astra right now, and I'm pretty happy with it, but the standard seats are uncomfortable, especially since I'm around 192 cm.

I'm looking at either getting a used VW Passat with ErgoComfort seats or Opel Insignia with the new AGR seats.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I only recently learned more about torque curves, so I found out that extra money I pay for a more powerful engine is wasted since I'm rarely over 3000 rpm, so I'm looking at getting a diesel instead.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 3, 2019

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Guinness posted:

I've been hearing that Tesla currently has multi-month waiting periods for service, especially minor things like QC defects. They've been so focused on scaling up their manufacturing that their servicing capacity and parts availability has not kept up. And of course there's really no one else other than Tesla that can do servicing.

I was driving past an auto-body place the other day and saw 4 Teslas parked next to each other obviously requiring work. I just kinda lol'ed to myself imagining how long they've been parked there. Wish I had grabbed a picture because the dash video is long gone.

Paradoxish posted:

She wants something dirt cheap. Like, under $3k dirt cheap. She likes SUVs.

Worn to hell Hyundai Santa Fe or Nissan Xterra/Pathfinder? I did a search and around here that price returns mostly 200k miles+. I'd keep an eye out for a lightly damaged KIA Soul if she counts those as an SUV.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boz0r posted:

I'm looking for a car with seats that are better for my back, as I recently got a job involving long commutes, and also a child. This is Denmark and we have an insane 100% car tax so everything is hella expensive. I am leasing an Opel Astra right now, and I'm pretty happy with it, but the standard seats are uncomfortable, especially since I'm around 192 cm.

I'm looking at either getting a used VW Passat with ErgoComfort seats or Opel Insignia with the new AGR seats.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: I only recently learned more about torque curves, so I found out that extra money I pay for a more powerful engine is wasted since I'm rarely over 3000 rpm, so I'm looking at getting a diesel instead.

I personally find honda cloth seats the comfiest in the industry, if there is a model of theirs that suites your needs. Otherwise I think you will find VW has the next comfiest. Ford is a wildcard as some of there midsize cars have great seats.

edit: Also stay far away from Nissan car seats. Holy poo poo I've never had so much back pain than when I was stuck with a rental maxima.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Thanks for the advice, dudes. The SUV thing wasn't in any way a hard requirement and wasn't something that I actually expected to be able to find anyway. To be honest, I'm shocked that there are any CR-Vs or RAV4s in that price range at all.

nm posted:

For $3000, I would ignore the SUV thing if possible and buy the best condition civic/corolla/matrix/vibe because you'll get much nicer and probably newer example.

For what it's worth, the opposite kind of seems to be true in my local area (southern CT). I actually made this post because I went looking for Civics/Corollas and basically found that everything in the target budget was exceptionally beat to poo poo, so I figured I'd venture outside of the cheap, reliable beater mainstays. I'd honestly rather she either increase her budget or let me chip in to go a bit higher, but she's pretty strongly opposed to spending any money on a car in the first place so that's probably not happening.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Vibes. I always forget that they're rebadged Matrixes.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Thanks for the advice, dudes. The SUV thing wasn't in any way a hard requirement and wasn't something that I actually expected to be able to find anyway. To be honest, I'm shocked that there are any CR-Vs or RAV4s in that price range at all.

For what it's worth, the opposite kind of seems to be true in my local area (southern CT). I actually made this post because I went looking for Civics/Corollas and basically found that everything in the target budget was exceptionally beat to poo poo, so I figured I'd venture outside of the cheap, reliable beater mainstays. I'd honestly rather she either increase her budget or let me chip in to go a bit higher, but she's pretty strongly opposed to spending any money on a car in the first place so that's probably not happening.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for Vibes. I always forget that they're rebadged Matrixes.

At that price point, make and model don't make that much difference anymore, as you're out in the tail of the bell curve. What you want is something that's been well maintained. Look for service records and evidence of regular oil changes and such.

You're into the disposable car range, so find something she likes and drive it while it lasts. As long as it's not burning oil and the transmission shifts smoothly, you're going to be about as good as it gets.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And again, with that little mileage being put on it... a car that might only have 30k miles left in it will still last you ten years.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yeah, that's also why I wasn't necessarily locked down to something like a Corolla. If she was driving this on even a 10-15 mile commute I'd probably insist on something like that even if the doors were literally falling off, but there's really no need for something that's super bullet proof or long lasting given how little it'll be driven so I'm trying to find a car that at least won't be actively unpleasant to get around in.

Mostly just have to control my urges to pick out something "interesting" at this point.

this w126 is totally a good idea right guys
https://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/d/trumbull-1989-mercedes-benz-560sel/6830896688.html

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Can you get a lovely first gen Leaf for 3 grand yet? Someone in here got a Spark EV really cheap. Maybe a Fiat 500e? 3 miles each way per day is like, ideal EV use case.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
1st gen focus with the Zetec or duratech motor

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

What do you all think about barely used Continentals?

Looks like they depreciate hardcore and I loved my town car (believe it or not).

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

TheReverend posted:

Looks like they depreciate hardcore and I loved my town car (believe it or not).

Can't be too bad a deal. They're a lot cheaper than their European competitor full-size cars.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

I drove one a while ago at a dealership that was basically shoving cars to drive in my face in the hopes that I would drop my manual transmission requirement. They're kind of weird to drive. Not as cushy as I expected, but for no reason that was evident to me since it still drove like a barge. Kind of reminded me of the Fusion rental car I had a while ago tbh. I think the one that I drove was a 2017, so maybe the suspension issues were some first year weirdness that got corrected or maybe something was wrong with that car?

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 4, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Paradoxish posted:

I drove one a while ago at a dealership that was basically shoving cars to drive in my face in the hopes that I would drop my manual transmission requirement. They're kind of weird to drive. Not as cushy as I expected, but for no reason that was evident to me since it still drove like a barge. Kind of reminded me of the Fusion rental car I had a while ago tbh. I think the one that I drove was a 2017, so maybe the suspension issues were some first year weirdness that got corrected or maybe something was wrong with that car?

I've never driven one but all the reviews say it's the last car on the market that was unapologetically cushy and not trying to be a large RS4, so I would be interested if you ever tried it back to back with anything else.

I think the interior looks nice but I would probably rather have an equivalent priced Kia/Hyundai with RWD proportions.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TheReverend posted:

They have unique snowflake parts that like to fail. Allot. They are cheap for a reason.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Ok thanks. I've had a fusion and that wasn't anything special. And I don't like snowflake parts!

RIP town car.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

I've never driven one but all the reviews say it's the last car on the market that was unapologetically cushy and not trying to be a large RS4, so I would be interested if you ever tried it back to back with anything else.

It was the only big ol' luxo-barge I drove that day. I don't know why the dealership even offered it up, but I was already annoyed with them and I'm not one to turn down free test drives so hey. My only point of comparison for that kind of car was an old Panther-platform Town Car a buddy had ages ago, and in terms of ride that felt waaaay cushier. This honestly felt more like the kind of ride you'd expect from a big German car, but without the actual handling feeling sporty at all. The roads around this dealership were super bad, though, so any stiffness was probably exaggerated a bit.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it possible to find a vehicle with no extras? I'm looking at a Chevy Colorado, and the plain Z71 has everything I want. I don't want wheel locks or Bose sound or blacked out Chevy emblem or other very expensive cosmetic items. I'm not looking for a stripper model, but do I have to special order something to not have dealers tart it up?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Usually depends on your local market. If they have zero issue selling them with those options then it will be harder to find.

Just call a few to get an idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Is it possible to find a vehicle with no extras? I'm looking at a Chevy Colorado, and the plain Z71 has everything I want. I don't want wheel locks or Bose sound or blacked out Chevy emblem or other very expensive cosmetic items. I'm not looking for a stripper model, but do I have to special order something to not have dealers tart it up?

Yes.

Or have it shipped form somewhere else if you can't find it locally. (which you will pay for)

That's how this works.

Stripper models aren't even a thing anymore that will save you money unless you are ordering them in at least 5s or 10s as fleet vehicles.

That base model MSRP is a lie. You get what you get (what sells) on the lot because that's what the lots will have in inventory. Otherwise you have very little negotiating power for a special order.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I almost bit on a great deal on a stripper model, but it had an exterior/interior colors I did not want at all. I took that written offer to another dealership with a similar car, but it had tinted windows, a pinstripe (blech), and floormats included along with colors I could live with. I saved myself 6k from the "MSRP" listed on the car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nocheez posted:

I almost bit on a great deal on a stripper model, but it had an exterior/interior colors I did not want at all. I took that written offer to another dealership with a similar car, but it had tinted windows, a pinstripe (blech), and floormats included along with colors I could live with. I saved myself 6k from the "MSRP" listed on the car.

Yeah, I mean....as long as it's on the lot you probably have some negotiating power. But other than large commercial/fleet-focused dealerships in flyover country I haven't seen a lot of strippers or near strippers on lots. If a lot has one of those for some reason and this isn't the type of business they normally do you probably have a lot of negotiating power.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Cross-posting from AI:

I'm furious with my '16 GTI, and I need to get rid of it by the time the warranty runs up in May and it becomes my problem.

Everything about it is perfect for my needs, except for the fact that it's a lemon. I've had it for 3 years, and it's been back to the dealer around 10 times for warranty services - failing infotainment system, failing backup camera, failed water pump, leaking sunroof, bad TMPS, and a bunch of other crap that will be needlessly expensive to fix once these sorts of things become my problem. I'm working through the lemon law process with the BBB and an attorney, but every day I own this car I get more annoyed about how much I hate it, when I really should love it.

So, I'm here for advice: What would you be test driving if you were me? Here's the gist of what I'm looking for:
- Something new, CPO, or lightly used (and dependable)
- Not an SUV/truck/van
- Stick shift strongly preferred
- I live in NC, so weather isn't an issue - no need to worry about snow, etc.
- Gas mileage isn't a concern. I drive about 9000mi/yr, but have been driving less the past few years since my commute is now on foot
- Comfortable for road trips with 2+ people and bags (generally it's just me and my girlfriend - we do not have kids)
- bonus points if I can easily fit/carry a road bicycle. I've got a Saris Bones trunk rack if all else fails.
- I really really really want something that either has car play/android auto, or something that I can add it aftermarket relatively easily. OEM nav/entertainment systems always blow.
- budget: honestly, I don't know? I'd say up to $50k for something really special, but I'd be much happier spending around $30k
- I'll probably hold onto this car for about 3 years. That's generally when I get bored and decide I need something new

My car history:
- 1966 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
- 1966 Chevy Corvair Corsa
- 1996 Olds Cutlass coupe (ugh)
- 2010 Cadillac CTS-V (this may well be the best car I will have ever owned)
- 2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn

Right now I'm planning on going to check out:
- Subaru BRZ/Toyota FRS
- Mazda MX-5
- Subaru WRX
- Cadillac ATS-V
- Corvette Grand Sport (CPO only)
- Tesla Model 3 (I don't currently have a way to charge a car where I live - so I'd need to figure that out)

I know that's all over the freaking map - and that's kind of how I feel. This is the first time I've been looking for a new car and felt utterly unexcited about it. I feel like I'm cross-shopping cars that people would typically never pit against one-another, but I'm trying to come at it with a completely blank slate.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Probably tough to fit 2 people and their luggage in a Miata.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mazda3 or Civic hatches?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
If you only keeping it for 3 years, literally anything. Take a weekend and go to every dealership under the sun to see what you like or don't like then report back if you feel like it. Someone may know something about your top choice that may influence your final call.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I love old Toyota Land Cruisers, are they very practical as a daily driver? Gas mileage must be pretty lousy, is there a Land Cruiser thread in AI?

I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix that is great (spent $400 in repairs since new) but my family is going to be too large for it soon so we need something bigger.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Apparently the ATS has all sorts of problems, dunno if that extends to the V.
Its a shame because it is the best driving small lux car.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

For 30 grand and with a low chance of being a lemon, the new Accords and Camrys are really, really loving great bang for the buck. Otherwise going higher I'd lean towards C series or 3 series. Subaru BRZ actually kinda sucks to live out of after a few months (from what I've heard from a guy thats had one for two years).

MX-5 is a great second car but a lovely primary.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Civic Si?

jet sanchEz posted:

I love old Toyota Land Cruisers, are they very practical as a daily driver? Gas mileage must be pretty lousy, is there a Land Cruiser thread in AI?

I have a 2003 Toyota Matrix that is great (spent $400 in repairs since new) but my family is going to be too large for it soon so we need something bigger.

How old are we talking? There's quite a difference between 80s or earlier and say Land Cruiser from '15 years ago.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...
Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all. I've got some test drives scheduled for tomorrow, provided the weather improves a bit. I'll report back once I get a few under my belt.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
Proposed Budget: ~35k
New or Used: new probably
Body Style: loving minivan
How will you be using the car?: Like a minivan. Transporting at least three kids (2 of my linage and at least one foster kid) and a short commute twice a week
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. I want to keep the thing for about 15 years, until my oldest is out of the house. I'd like something with Android auto to Future proof the infotainment as much as possible (as absurd as that is). I really want good adaptive cruise control and safety features.

I know the segment is small. The Honda Odyssey has bad reliability scores on consumer reports. The Pacifica ticks all my boxes (as an amateur woodworker the stow-and-go seats seem like a god send for Home Depot plywood runs) but it's a Fiat product. The Toyota sienna is 10 years old and has no Android auto. And the Kia is a Kia. I'm really just looking for opinions and maybe reviews on the adaptive cruise control/Lane keep assist/blind spot monitoring/ etc.

I wish there was a clear winner in this segment.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 10, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zosologist posted:

How will you be using the car?: Like a minivan. Transporting at least three kids (2 of my linage and at least one foster kid) and a short commute twice a week
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. I want to keep the thing for about 15 years, until my oldest is out of the house. I'd like something with Android auto to Future proof the infotainment as much as possible (as absurd as that is). I really want good adaptive cruise control and safety features.

I know the segment is small. The Honda Odyssey has bad reliability scores on consumer reports. The Pacifica ticks all my boxes (as an amateur woodworker the stow-and-go seats seem like a god send for Home Depot plywood runs) but it's a Fiat product. The Toyota sienna is 10 years old and has no Android auto. And the Kia is a Kia. I'm really just looking for opinions and maybe reviews on the adaptive cruise control/Lane keep assist/blind spot monitoring/ etc.

If you don't mind bringing it in to the shop on a regular basis and it only lasting well for 5 years, the Pacifica is the choice. Its the newest and nicest, but the quality control is fiat.

The segment is hosed because most of the R&D that used to go into these has all switched to SUVs.

Your best bet is probably a lightly used Odyssey or Sienna for 20 grand. The new ones aren't next-generation for them to be a big upgrade over a 3 year old one. Except, if you don't put a ton of weight in CR's ratings on the new Odyssey. With Honda Sense / Android Auto / Carplay it is a next-gen car.

Or buy a 3 row SUV.

edit:If I was stuck in your situation, I'd be used Sienna, or new Odyssey.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 10, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zosologist posted:

Buy a last generation Odyssey. You'll save a lot of money and avoid literally all of the problems of the new one. You won't get Android auto, but as someone who rents a lot of cars with it, it is nice, but is in no way mandatory. It almost certainly isn't future proof because the odds of honda updating the thing to work with the android version that's out 3 years after they discontinue it. As long as you have an aux-in (even more tha bluetooth), you're as futureproof as it gets. Get a magnetic mount with charging.

The comedy, but not completely insane option, is to buy a used grand caravan and use the save 25 loving thousand dollars to keep the thing running and buy a miata and buy your kids a car. Grand Caravans aen;t the reliable, but even if you buy a new junkyard transmission every 5 years, you're probably in the black.

Also, basically all the Odyssey issues are software type teething issues. I suspect if you can wait and buy a 2020 when it comes out, it will be a honda. Even the 2019 might be. but I'd give it a bit.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Proposed Budget: $100k, give or take

New or Used: Either

Body Style: 2 door. Convertible preferred but not necessary.

How will you be using the car?: Weekend/summer driving car. I have a Focus RS for the track and a Stinger GT for daily duties and I want something I can cruise around and feel like a badass in.

What aspects are most important to you?

1. Exhaust note
2. Super car feel / exclusivity
3. Powah
4. Luxury
5. If it's a new car from a not-Italian Marquis, Android Auto (sorry BMW)
Bonus: V12 :swoon:

Unfortunately, I'm in Buffalo, so it's not like I can walk into my local supercar dealership and ask to test drive their CPO Ferraris.

Cars I've considered:

New:
AMG C63s Cabriolet
AMG GT
Audi RS3

Used:
AMG E63s
AMG SL65
Audi R8 V10
Lamborghini Gallardo
Ferrari F430
McLaren MP4-12C
Aston Martin DB9/DBS

I haven't really been considering Porsche, just because I'm not really into them. I feel like if I owned a Porsche, I'd have to be a Porsche guy and hang out with other Porsche guys.

The local Mercedes dealership has a 2016 Aston Martin DB9 GT Volante with 4k miles in immaculate condition that they want 108k for. It's even still under factory warranty for the next few months. Seems like an insane deal, but I wanted some other opinions before dropping that much cash.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

Proposed Budget: $100k, give or take

New or Used: Either

Body Style: 2 door. Convertible preferred but not necessary.

How will you be using the car?: Weekend/summer driving car. I have a Focus RS for the track and a Stinger GT for daily duties and I want something I can cruise around and feel like a badass in.

What aspects are most important to you?

1. Exhaust note
2. Super car feel / exclusivity
3. Powah
4. Luxury
5. If it's a new car from a not-Italian Marquis, Android Auto (sorry BMW)
Bonus: V12 :swoon:

Unfortunately, I'm in Buffalo, so it's not like I can walk into my local supercar dealership and ask to test drive their CPO Ferraris.

Cars I've considered:

New:
AMG C63s Cabriolet
AMG GT
Audi RS3

Used:
AMG E63s
AMG SL65
Audi R8 V10
Lamborghini Gallardo
Ferrari F430
McLaren MP4-12C
Aston Martin DB9/DBS

I haven't really been considering Porsche, just because I'm not really into them. I feel like if I owned a Porsche, I'd have to be a Porsche guy and hang out with other Porsche guys.

The local Mercedes dealership has a 2016 Aston Martin DB9 GT Volante with 4k miles in immaculate condition that they want 108k for. It's even still under factory warranty for the next few months. Seems like an insane deal, but I wanted some other opinions before dropping that much cash.

Lol. As soon as I read what you were going for with having a 3rd car that was pure fun I was thinking "this guy should 100% buy a porsche".

But if you don't get them, its a giant waste. Maybe try to rent one for a week? They are amazing driving cars. More so than benz/bmw when they are sorta in the same price range. Lambo/Ferrari (unless classic restoration) are for literal billionaires/celebrities and are just status symbols anyways.

But yeah, Porsche is probably the best choice for a third car for just a fun driver. But if you hate Porsche, buy an AMG benz.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

nm posted:

Buy a last generation Odyssey. You'll save a lot of money and avoid literally all of the problems of the new one. You won't get Android auto, but as someone who rents a lot of cars with it, it is nice, but is in no way mandatory. It almost certainly isn't future proof because the odds of honda updating the thing to work with the android version that's out 3 years after they discontinue it. As long as you have an aux-in (even more tha bluetooth), you're as futureproof as it gets. Get a magnetic mount with charging.

The comedy, but not completely insane option, is to buy a used grand caravan and use the save 25 loving thousand dollars to keep the thing running and buy a miata and buy your kids a car. Grand Caravans aen;t the reliable, but even if you buy a new junkyard transmission every 5 years, you're probably in the black.

Also, basically all the Odyssey issues are software type teething issues. I suspect if you can wait and buy a 2020 when it comes out, it will be a honda. Even the 2019 might be. but I'd give it a bit.

Solid advice but the semi autonomous safety features are very important to me. My wife is a terrifying driver.

Edit: who am I kidding? Unless something drastically changes my mind, I'll probably end up with a 2019 Odyssey EX-L, or even a Pacifica like this
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/link/224340851
And prey that it lasts 175k without bankrupting me.

Double edit: I could maybe wait for the 2020 Odyssey to hit the but I probably couldn't get a 0.9% financing offer on one? I assume? Also when do new model years usually hit the market?

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 10, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Probably septemberish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

Lol. As soon as I read what you were going for with having a 3rd car that was pure fun I was thinking "this guy should 100% buy a porsche".

But if you don't get them, its a giant waste. Maybe try to rent one for a week? They are amazing driving cars. More so than benz/bmw when they are sorta in the same price range. Lambo/Ferrari (unless classic restoration) are for literal billionaires/celebrities and are just status symbols anyways.

But yeah, Porsche is probably the best choice for a third car for just a fun driver. But if you hate Porsche, buy an AMG benz.

I really just don't "get" Porsches. They all look the same, from the $80k ones to the $800k ones and there are plenty of Porsches around here so they aren't special or rare and only huge car nerds know the difference between a Carrera and a GT2RS. I have plenty of car nerds asking about my other cars and I don't need another practical sleeper. I also don't really want a track weapon car. If I want to take a car to the track, I'll take the RS and it's already beyond my abilities as a driver. I want a car that normal people look at and go "Wow, that's something special." I love AMGs, but they're just faster Mercs and nobody who doesn't know a lot about cars will know why they're special. I want something stupid, impractical and LOOOOOOUUUUUUUDDDDDD. If I had the cash to run out and buy a new Huracan Performante, I would in a second.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 10, 2019