Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Roger Explosion posted:

You mean I can't just press the Waver button on my friendlist Jalters and win anymore? gently caress.

Not for the bosses. Specifically Gawain and Mordred. Everyone else is still weak to Jalter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Real talk, do you guys read the profiles for your Servamts

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Yeah, I do. Either in-game or on a wiki. It's necessary context for the historical figure and the spin that Fate has decided to give them as a Servant.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Compendium posted:

Of course.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Compendium posted:

I came into this game knowing almost nothing about anyone, so yeah.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Crasical posted:

Yeah, I do. Either in-game or on a wiki. It's necessary context for the historical figure and the spin that Fate has decided to give them as a Servant.

Are there any wikis that have the in-game translations? Because there are a lot of them that read like they're by someone who hates the concept of localization and uses a lot of really strict rules about lore jargon from back int the early draft FSN translation patch days

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I read Eric Bloodaxe's profile everyday.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I read Eric Bloodaxe's profile everyday.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM FP INTO THE GACHA. IT'S ERIK BLOODAXE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, BLOODAXE. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN ▂▂▃▃▄▄▅▅ SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HAND BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I KILL MYSELF WITH MY NP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED ALL THEIR BROTHERS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO THE OTHER SERVANTS IN MY CHALDEA AND ALL THEY PROVE IS THAT HEROIC SPIRITS CAN STILL BE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL HIS LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MY LACK OF CU ALTER LESS PAINFUL BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 GOLDEN APPLES INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Have you finished Shinjuku yet?

Yes but why the coffin? Like I'm watching his extra attack and I've been accepting this weird coffin gun/missile launcher but then he starts slamming it on enemies and I'm like "wait...what is happening".

Compendium posted:

When I hit bond 5. Like I had no idea Bloodaxe was kind of based on a real person.

It's also kind of funny to see where the writers warp history/myth to make the character more/less cool or sympathetic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Having started using him in the past month or so, Erik is a very underrated farming servant IMO. He requires basically no levels at all to his skills (even taking the DEF down on his first into consideration) to dish out around 30k on his own when max foued. He needs a scope and a way to charge it up from there but once he has that then you have a very resource-lite servant who can clear most waves with a super fast NP.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
All of the aoe bronze berserkers are godsends for farming pretty much. Bunyan is coming up later this year for you as well and she's excellent, though requires a bit more skill investment.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I know i haven't read the profiles of everyone i've pulled, but if i like them even a tiny bit i'll definitely look at them (and if they're a fav i'll read them as they're bond levels increase instead of waiting til 5). Been trying to remind myself to read the flavor text on CEs too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

Welcome to the Bone Zone.

Don't forget you're here forever.

I find that the least rare mats are usually the bottleneck I run into with ascensions/skills. If you do all the events you can end up with plenty of "rare" mats, but then you'll need like 20-30 bones/disks/whatever for a single ascension or skill-up.

edit: Avengers are a pain to ascend for this reason. My Dantes is stuck at 70 right now.

Rulers are the opposite since they just use easily acquirable statues

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I like to think that if/when they decide to retcon themselves and make Max the Free-shooter a full heroic spirit anyway, itll turn out that they're some kind of Wild Wild West-assed sharpshooter with a bunch of horseshit gadget guns.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd love to see them do some truly weird poo poo with adapting the freeshooter limitations into a servant

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

dogsicle posted:

i'd love to see them do some truly weird poo poo with adapting the freeshooter limitations into a servant

Yeah...weird poo poo...most definitely not just a Noble Phantasm that pre-casts sure hit...

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Make his NP demerit kill one of your servants like Arash, but this time it kills one of your frontline chosen at random.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Billzasilver posted:

Make his NP demerit kill one of your servants like Arash, but this time it kills one of your frontline chosen at random.

Have it kill whichever Servant you have the highest Bond level with.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It kills only the Casters in your party, and it kills all of them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Yeah...weird poo poo...most definitely not just a Noble Phantasm that pre-casts sure hit...

i mean you can't have the servant and not include the seventh bullet demerit in some way, so that wouldn't really work

the easy idea is having a longer cooldown skill that gives six buff stacks and then drops a demerit once consumed

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Oh neat, I just learned that Moriarty's NP (and Shinjuku in general) is based on Isaac Asimov's short story "The Ultimate Crime" . In Asimov's story, Moriarty's treatise Dynamics of an Asteroid was written about the destruction of a planet that once existed between Mars and Jupiter by an asteroid. It also contained coded calculations on how to destroy the Earth in a similar manner, hence the title of the story.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

Are there any wikis that have the in-game translations? Because there are a lot of them that read like they're by someone who hates the concept of localization and uses a lot of really strict rules about lore jargon from back int the early draft FSN translation patch days

this isn't true because for example they used him/her constantly with da vinci when it was only like one instance in the original text

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Aurora posted:

this isn't true because for example they used him/her constantly with da vinci when it was only like one instance in the original text

Isn’t that because Japanese only has a few gendered words?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the davinci thing is weird because her profile is filled with a bunch of "he/she" and "him/her" and then her Golden Rule description uses "he"...but apparently she uses watashi as a personal pronoun which is not really gendered like some others. the game has gone on to establish people mostly treating her as a woman so it just is a mess of a profile (at least in english). you've even got lines like "For he/she was excelled at science, math..." so there are just all sorts of qc issues lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Isn’t that because Japanese only has a few gendered words?
This doesn't really make sense? The Japanese went out of its way to say him/her once. For some reason the translation uses that whenever possible, even though the phrasing of the original line makes it clear it's just a dumb one-off gag.

Da Vinci's handling in the original game sucks but the translation has taken every single chance to make it worse. And after spending ten minutes with Emiya Alter in mspaint, it's safe to assume the reason for that is because they don't care about transpeople as an audience or as a demographic, because they could easily change these things in the same way if they wanted to.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Their handling of Da Vinci is gross, and yet I can't even tell for sure if it's because of indifference or just awful QA... now that I think about it, it's likely both.

Reminder that this is a localization team that still refuses to make use of spellchecking software. Every single interlude, singularity and event has typos on non-Nasu words that would be picked up instantly by even MS Word's spellchecker. (And adding Nasu terminology to the dictionary is trivial.)

You'd also think that with Da Vinci being such a key character, they'd put effort in treating her decently, but it's hard to expect sensibility to trans representation when the team is hired out of a fanbase that constantly calls d'Eon and Astolfo traps.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 11, 2019

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

At the very least, they haven't gone out of their way to completely make stuff up (so far), and the last bad line about Da Vinci is in Agartha, so the problem should be basically over for continuing players. Still sucks for people who come in as it goes along, though. And Da Vinci's profile still needs an overhaul.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What exactly is Da Vinci's deal? Do we know? I thought it was that, this the real male Da Vinci (as in this isn't a hidden gender thing like Artoria) but he chose to come back looking like the Mona Lisa.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sophism posted:

Their handling of Da Vinci is gross, and yet I can't even tell for sure if it's because of indifference or just awful QA... now that I think about it, it's likely both.

Reminder that this is a localization team that still refuses to make use of spellchecking software. Every single interlude, singularity and event has typos on non-Nasu words that would be picked up instantly by even MS Word's spellchecker. (And adding Nasu terminology to the dictionary is trivial.)

You'd also think that with Da Vinci being such a key character, they'd put effort in treating her decently, but it's hard to expect sensibility to trans representation when the team is hired out of a fanbase that constantly calls d'Eon and Astolfo traps.

Is Da Vinci trans in this? My vague impression is that they just chose to manifest as the Mona Lisa woman because they considered her some "height of beauty" or whatever.

I also got more of just a non-binary vibe from Astolfo (and maybe d'Eon, but particularly Astolfo). I was under the impression they were an "ambiguous gender" character like Enkidu.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

From what I recall, the "real" Da Vinci was a dude, but at some point found some way to gently caress with the Throne of Heroes so that their Saint graph (essentially the blueprint the throne uses to create servant vessels) is their Mona Lisa appearance. As far as identity, Da Vinci is more or less trans nonbinary since their stance is that aesthetics and beauty are more important than physical gender.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 11, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Astolfo is a guy but doesn't mind wearing skirts. His lore ability is hiding his true nature, which is so strong that even Jeanne's True Name can't get past it in Apoc.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What exactly is Da Vinci's deal? Do we know? I thought it was that, this the real male Da Vinci (as in this isn't a hidden gender thing like Artoria) but he chose to come back looking like the Mona Lisa.

It's literally this. Mona Lisa was Da Vinci's ideal of beauty, so when he manifested, he chose to take the form of the most beautiful thing he knew, and honestly, I would also choose to be a smoking hot girl if I got a second chance at life. It's one of the reasons people call Da Vinci a weirdo in the story.

The real question is what Uomo Universale is.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

da vinci said trans rights

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

me and all my cisdude friends sitting in the throne of heroes discussing how it's awesome to be a sexy woman

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dogsicle posted:

me and all my cisdude friends sitting in the throne of heroes discussing how it's awesome to be a sexy woman

lol

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Da Vinci (who at the very least had a male body in life) was summoned before Chaldea's summoning system was complete, and only chose to manifest after getting persuaded by Roman. Upon doing so (it's unclear if it was at time of summoning or shortly thereafter) he/she built a puppet to use as a physical body and as a proxy for a master since this was long before the protagonist came around. It was the same sort of puppet as the ones Aozaki Touko uses in KnK and her other appearances. Because of this, Da Vinci basically got to design his/her appearance from scratch, and because Da Vinci is an artist who strives to make his/her creations beautiful, he/she modeled it after the Mona Lisa, who was the epitome of beauty in Da Vinci's mind.

As far as pronouns go, while I believe a lot of characters refer to Da Vinci as "her" in Japanese, some characters, most notably Roman, always use "him" instead, possibly because they first talked to Da Vinci before the puppet body was constructed. The material also specifically notes that Da Vinci doesn't have much awareness of being in a female body and will walk around naked after a bath even if guys are around.

The character material and such all refers to Da Vinci as "Female (Body)", Da Vinci has the Female trait gameplay-wise for purposes of Jack, Carmilla, etc, and on Valentines you can both give and receive chocolate from Da Vinci.

That's all the official info we have on Da Vinci's gender. Take that as you will.

The impression I get personally is that they're trying to write Da Vinci less as being trans specifically, and more like being the sort of guy who always uses a female character in MMOs because they like to look at them more. You're free to interpret it as you like in your personal headcanon, though.

Gologle posted:

The real question is what Uomo Universale is.

It's supposed to be a thing where Da Vinci analyzes the enemy and constructs a custom Noble Phantasm on the spot that's custom-made for that specific situation. But that's hard to portray so for gameplay purposes she just shoots a magic doodad.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Bakanogami posted:

The impression I get personally is that they're trying to write Da Vinci less as being trans specifically, and more like being the sort of guy who always uses a female character in MMOs because they like to look at them more. You're free to interpret it as you like in your personal headcanon, though.

my headcanon beats your headcanon

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Sophism posted:

Really? I didn't know that.

Goddamn I hate that word. My spouse and some friends are trans and people using that word can go to hell. It's genuinely the whole "gay guys are scary because they obviously want to have sex with me" paradigm all over but worst.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Really? I didn't know that.

Goddamn I hate that word. My spouse and some friends are trans and people using that word can go to hell. It's genuinely the whole "gay guys are scary because they obviously want to have sex with me" paradigm all over but worst.

Just to make it more confusing, there are gay men who self-identify as traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

It's supposed to be a thing where Da Vinci analyzes the enemy and constructs a custom Noble Phantasm on the spot that's custom-made for that specific situation. But that's hard to portray so for gameplay purposes she just shoots a magic doodad.
Yeah. In theory Uomo Universale is one of the strongest noble phantasms in the setting, as Da Vinci can literally and instantly craft an NP that's the exact and literally perfect counter to who she's fighting, as befitting the person who best embodies the whole concept of polymath. It's just that canonically most of her power is spent doing various and semi-spoilerish and reality-defying Things around Chaldea which is why she's usually solely on support duties, so the one she actually uses as a servant is a general purpose NP she made (the big robo gauntlet) that "only" fires pure magical energy that ignores every sort of magical defense since she can't custom-tune it to the enemy. Da Vinci is one of those conceptually absurd servants like Gilgamesh, Scathach, or Merlin, even if people don't think of her that way because of her mid-tier gameplay.

And yeah she's quite explicitly trans; Da Vinci was born male (just like in the real world) but when she got to come back as a servant she chose to have the body she always wanted, and if anyone else doesn't like it she doesn't give a gently caress and they can deal with it. It's just the pronoun stuff and related things are handled kind of badly because Japan media in general is horrible about handling trans narratives.