Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

KillHour posted:

I really just don't "get" Porsches. They all look the same, from the $80k ones to the $800k ones and there are plenty of Porsches around here so they aren't special or rare and only huge car nerds know the difference between a Carrera and a GT2RS. I have plenty of car nerds asking about my other cars and I don't need another practical sleeper. I also don't really want a track weapon car. If I want to take a car to the track, I'll take the RS and it's already beyond my abilities as a driver. I want a car that normal people look at and go "Wow, that's something special." I love AMGs, but they're just faster Mercs and nobody who doesn't know a lot about cars will know why they're special. I want something stupid, impractical and LOOOOOOUUUUUUUDDDDDD. If I had the cash to run out and buy a new Huracan Performante, I would in a second.

here's a hot tip op: porsches own, and i would suggest buying one posthaste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

here's a hot tip op: porsches own, and i would suggest buying one posthaste

I specifically don't want a Porsche, and poo poo like this is why. gently caress Porsche people, you're worse than Apple fanboys.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

KillHour posted:

I specifically don't want a Porsche, and poo poo like this is why. gently caress Porsche people, you're worse than Apple fanboys.

does it not jerk your supercar dick off hard enough or what

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

does it not jerk your supercar dick off hard enough or what

Boxers are for Subarus. I want a V-hugenumber.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

knickerbocker expert

KillHour posted:

Boxers are for Subarus. I want a V-hugenumber.

i hope you find everything you're looking for and more op :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Glans Dillzig posted:

i hope you find everything you're looking for and more op :)

You're a scholar and a gentle(wo)man. :tipshat:

But in all seriousness, I just like cars with engines larger than the passenger compartment. I can appreciate the delicate balance of a small sports car, but I'm 6'3 and built like Jeremy Clarkson, so I don't really fit in those. Same reason I'm not looking at Lotus Evoras or whatever.

Edit: And again, I already kind of have that with the RS.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 10, 2019

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Cadillac CTS-V would be my choice in an alternate universe where I had 100k to spend on a toy (not a dig at you). It ticks the big engine and luxury boxes. Not that exotic I guess but still pretty badass imo.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Cadillac CTS-V would be my choice in an alternate universe where I had 100k to spend on a toy (not a dig at you). It ticks the big engine and luxury boxes. Not that exotic I guess but still pretty badass imo.

Yeah, I'm looking for something more on the exotic end. This is honestly a piece of jewelry for me - it's just as important as a status symbol as it is as a car.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 10, 2019

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Get a classic that’s built to gently caress

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Edit: LOL, that ninja edit.

Yeah, I'm looking for something more on the exotic end. This is honestly a piece of jewelry for me - it's just as important as a status symbol as it is as a car.

Yea, guess I was just daydreaming a bit about big engined luxury cars and not being helpful, sorry. I had the rare opportunity to drive a Gallardo once and It's hard to imagine a bigger status car outside of a Bentley. It was loud and frightening and just about everybody commented on it wherever we went. I'd say get that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Yea, guess I was just daydreaming a bit about big engined luxury cars and not being helpful, sorry. I had the rare opportunity to drive a Gallardo once and It's hard to imagine a bigger status car outside of a Bentley. It was loud and frightening and just about everybody commented on it wherever we went. I'd say get that.

Man, it's tempting. The only thing that's scaring me off is the autos apparently had a clutch made of particularly soft cheese and it costs $5-7k to replace every 15k miles or so. So that pretty much means I'd have to get a manual (which I'd prefer anyways) but those come at a pretty big premium and aren't very common. To make it worse, I'm pretty sure there isn't a mechanic in Buffalo that could reasonably service one. At least with the DB9, there's a few places that could handle it.

Edit: I guess this answers why it was so cheap.

https://www.ipacket.info/SCFFDAFM6GGB17246#Carfax

How does someone get into two accidents in less than 4000 miles? :sigh:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 10, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

KillHour posted:

Just buy an Aston then. Most status per $.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

Just buy an Aston then. Most status per $.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards. Should I totally write off the local one since it's been in a couple accidents?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry if I came off as a dick last night; I was real tired and couldn't sleep. I appreciate everyone's honest input and maybe I'm not being fair to Porsche. I'm just interested in a specific kind of car and pretty much just want to know "which one of these unreliable bad investments is the easiest to live with and isn't going to need to be towed to Toronto for a $20,000 service after 2,000 miles." I have the money to buy a stupid status symbol and I want one of the big-engined, mechanical, old school supercars I grew up coveting in movies. It's an emotional thing more than a "this is the best deal for your money" thing.

That being said, I've never bought a car like that so I need a little help navigating which ones are total garbage and going to cost me their purchase price over again in repairs. I'm not looking to be another Tavarish or Hoovie.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Get the Aston Martin. Though they lost a ton of street credit to non car people because they think you have a ford fusion.

But seriously. Get the biggest baddest Benz or Audi.

The people that don't walk away angry and feel wasteful that buy new or nearly new lambos and Ferraris are people that don't have budgets period.
Also the only people really impressed by supercars are teenage boys. Actual women are more into BMW/Benz and Mustangs.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Well, I'm definitely a teenage boy at heart. My girlfriend couldn't care less about cars.

I really think I am going to get the Aston. I just have to make sure the damage was repaired correctly. Maybe I'll have them put it on a lift so I can get a good look at everything. I just can't get over sitting in it and how that felt.

If I eat poo poo on repair costs, I guess that's the price of owning a ridiculous car. I bet they can go lower on price considering it's been at the dealership for a year. Not many people around here looking for a British V12 soft top convertible I guess.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 10, 2019

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KillHour posted:

Well, I'm definitely a teenage boy at heart. My girlfriend couldn't care less about cars.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...5&firstRecord=0

If you want to turn heads at a reasonable price.

Having lived in West Palm Beach, I can tell you why that Aston got in 2 wrecks: they're terrible drivers there. All of South Florida is really bad. I personally wouldn't roll the dice on a $100k+ Aston with possible body damage but hey man, you do you.

edit: oh poo poo, what about a new NSX? Or does it have to be a convertible?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean... The i8 is an electric car with the same amount of horsepower as my Stinger GT and the NSX is a V6 and costs almost double my budget. Neither of those are old school v8/10/12 mechanical supercars.

I think what I'm gonna do is call the Aston dealership in Toronto and have them look up the service records and try to get their feel for it. Maybe I can give the Mercedes dealership my credit card and take it up there for an inspection. I don't mind them holding a 10k refundable deposit and spending a few hundred on piece of mind. Aston also offers a 24 month extended warranty that I'll probably get.

Edit: Does everyone here just hate NA high displacement V engines or what? What am I missing?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 10, 2019

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Zosologist posted:

Proposed Budget: ~35k
New or Used: new probably
Body Style: loving minivan
How will you be using the car?: Like a minivan. Transporting at least three kids (2 of my linage and at least one foster kid) and a short commute twice a week
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability. I want to keep the thing for about 15 years, until my oldest is out of the house. I'd like something with Android auto to Future proof the infotainment as much as possible (as absurd as that is). I really want good adaptive cruise control and safety features.

I know the segment is small. The Honda Odyssey has bad reliability scores on consumer reports. The Pacifica ticks all my boxes (as an amateur woodworker the stow-and-go seats seem like a god send for Home Depot plywood runs) but it's a Fiat product. The Toyota sienna is 10 years old and has no Android auto. And the Kia is a Kia. I'm really just looking for opinions and maybe reviews on the adaptive cruise control/Lane keep assist/blind spot monitoring/ etc.

I wish there was a clear winner in this segment.

Is your current car 15 years old? How did you come to that number?

Very few people keep cars for that long, people's life circumstances change, new cars with more safety features come out, or you know, most people become richer and can afford nicer things as time passes, poo poo 5 years from now you can probably get a car that drives itself. It's super strange to buy a new car right now with the requirement that it doesn't need to be replaced or repaired or still be able to connect to your phone(!) for 15 years like it was a roof or a water heater or something.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Throatwarbler posted:

most people become richer and can afford nicer things as time passes

In a few years there will be this Bitcoin thing coming out, buy as much as you can and get out when it hits 15k

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

Sorry if I came off as a dick last night; I was real tired and couldn't sleep. I appreciate everyone's honest input and maybe I'm not being fair to Porsche. I'm just interested in a specific kind of car and pretty much just want to know "which one of these unreliable bad investments is the easiest to live with and isn't going to need to be towed to Toronto for a $20,000 service after 2,000 miles." I have the money to buy a stupid status symbol and I want one of the big-engined, mechanical, old school supercars I grew up coveting in movies. It's an emotional thing more than a "this is the best deal for your money" thing.

That being said, I've never bought a car like that so I need a little help navigating which ones are total garbage and going to cost me their purchase price over again in repairs. I'm not looking to be another Tavarish or Hoovie.

I think there's a nice selection of cool cars on services such as Turo that you could rent and get a taste of them. Maybe not in your particular area, but you could do a little winter vacation somewhere like CA or Miami and incorporate that into your itinerary?

While we're hypothesizing I've been reading a lot about the final model years of the last generation Bentley Conti GT and they actually seem pretty decent once VAG fixed most of the really dumb :britain: poo poo in the course of a few refreshes. It has 12 cylinders and is as fast as you could possibly want to be on public roads while still being nice comfy and practical.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

I think there's a nice selection of cool cars on services such as Turo that you could rent and get a taste of them. Maybe not in your particular area, but you could do a little winter vacation somewhere like CA or Miami and incorporate that into your itinerary?

While we're hypothesizing I've been reading a lot about the final model years of the last generation Bentley Conti GT and they actually seem pretty decent once VAG fixed most of the really dumb :britain: poo poo in the course of a few refreshes. It has 12 cylinders and is as fast as you could possibly want to be on public roads while still being nice comfy and practical.

I could give Turo a shot. No shortage of fancy cars in Toronto. As far as the Bentley, it's not my type of thing. Practical is a negative to me. I want something with literally 0 luggage space and a loud obnoxious engine. Think about the car you wanted when you were 12. Bonus points if it's orange.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

I mean... The i8 is an electric car with the same amount of horsepower as my Stinger GT and the NSX is a V6 and costs almost double my budget. Neither of those are old school v8/10/12 mechanical supercars.

I think what I'm gonna do is call the Aston dealership in Toronto and have them look up the service records and try to get their feel for it. Maybe I can give the Mercedes dealership my credit card and take it up there for an inspection. I don't mind them holding a 10k refundable deposit and spending a few hundred on piece of mind. Aston also offers a 24 month extended warranty that I'll probably get.

Edit: Does everyone here just hate NA high displacement V engines or what? What am I missing?

I think buying a sports car thats already been in two wrecks is probably a bad idea. Also as cool as V12s are they are hilarious bad to maintain and actually pretty outdated by modern, great supercharged V8s from the big auto manufacturers. But I totally get you want to get something that most people don't see everyday, practicality be damned.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ckType=otherVDP

But I'd probably buy
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

I think buying a sports car thats already been in two wrecks is probably a bad idea. Also as cool as V12s are they are hilarious bad to maintain and actually pretty outdated by modern, great supercharged V8s from the big auto manufacturers. But I totally get you want to get something that most people don't see everyday, practicality be damned.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ckType=otherVDP

But I'd probably buy
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

Maseratis are cool and they have the Ferrari V8, but every review I read or watch says their build quality is total poo poo. They sure look nice though.

That AMG is missing a couple cylinders and has the wrong number on the badge. You should get that checked out. ;)

And yeah, this is fulfilling my 12 year old dreams - practicality and sanity have no home here.

Edit: What about a McLaren? Those have V8s and mid engine cars are sick.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 10, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

Maseratis are cool and they have the Ferrari V8, but every review I read or watch says their build quality is total poo poo. They sure look nice though.

That AMG is missing a couple cylinders and has the wrong number on the badge. You should get that checked out. ;)

And yeah, this is fulfilling my 12 year old dreams - practicality and sanity have no home here.

So just go for whatever your dream car is? Do they make orange Astons?

Just buy one that hasn't been in two wrecks.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zapplez posted:

So just go for whatever your dream car is? Do they make orange Astons?

Just buy one that hasn't been in two wrecks.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=508830456&zip=14221

Apparently so.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
a 6 owner Ferrari F430 is the correct answer:

https://www.ferrariofsandiego.com/used-San+Diego-2005-Ferrari-430-Berlinetta-ZFFEW58A750143633

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What about an Audi r8? It's basically a Lamborghini in v10 guise and you almost certainly have an Audi dealer in town.

Don't buy the crashed Aston, none of these cars are rare enough to buy a sketchy one.
Also, be willing to buy a car way out of state. You can easily get local ppis and for a 6 figure car, a flight on southwest or shipping it is a drop in the bucket.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Maserati versions of the engines have cross plane cranks, same as a 305 Chevy. Defeats the whole point if you ask me. Also while I agree they look nice the one from 2009 look exactly the same so you may as well just buy a 10 year old one for $24k or whatever, not like the new one's phone interface will be any better.

Nice color and the correct transmission:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-audi-r8-9/

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

What about an Audi r8? It's basically a Lamborghini in v10 guise and you almost certainly have an Audi dealer in town.

Don't buy the crashed Aston, none of these cars are rare enough to buy a sketchy one.
Also, be willing to buy a car way out of state. You can easily get local ppis and for a 6 figure car, a flight on southwest or shipping it is a drop in the bucket.

That was on my list, if I can find a clean one. And yeah, I might have to travel for it and I'm okay with that. I'm just worried about going out there and finding out the dealer was hiding how much of a wreck it is.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The Maserati versions of the engines have cross plane cranks, same as a 305 Chevy. Defeats the whole point if you ask me. Also while I agree they look nice the one from 2009 look exactly the same so you may as well just buy a 10 year old one for $24k or whatever, not like the new one's phone interface will be any better.

Nice color and the correct transmission:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-audi-r8-9/

I saw that one. Not digging the brown, actually. And "only" 430 HP with the V8.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KillHour posted:

You don't really know what you want beyond "obviously expensive."

Nobody makes "old school v8/10/12 mechanical supercars" any more. The manufacturers know that they're going to need to compete for Nurburgring times, so they put in the electronic driver aids that will help them do that. They also know that one of their main markets is rich people who have no idea how to drive a stick shift, let alone a 500+ HP mid engined monster with no safety aids, so they put in all kinds of safety systems, too. If you don't want those things, go find an older Viper and try not to put it into a ditch. Or, if you want something newer, maybe a Hellcat.

But - that's kind of a blue collar supercar, right? So maybe you want something that will make everybody notice that your car looks like some kind of high performance space shuttle that must be owned by a very wealthy person. It'll probably need to be mid-engined, and full of funky aerodynamic racecar shapes. The McLaren is a pretty obvious choice there. It even has a turbo V8.

But, it's a British supercar with a turbo V8. You can swing $100k for the purchase, but regular five-figure service is out of the picture, so you probably don't want that. Plus, it's maybe a bit too much on the track side of things. You could get an i8 for lower running costs, and get the look, but then you'd be totally giving up on your big engine dreams. So you go to the top and start the cycle again.

If you want to split the difference, there's a reason that Porsches (and BMW M cars) are stereotypical "doctor/lawyer wants a sports car" cars. But you don't want that, either.

Figure out what it is you actually want besides vague statements about exclusivity, noise, and 12 year old you.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

KillHour posted:

I like a V8 as much as the next guy but that's not where 'super' cars are at these days. All the engineering is going into hybrid drive trains.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

You don't really know what you want beyond "obviously expensive."

Nobody makes "old school v8/10/12 mechanical supercars" any more. The manufacturers know that they're going to need to compete for Nurburgring times, so they put in the electronic driver aids that will help them do that. They also know that one of their main markets is rich people who have no idea how to drive a stick shift, let alone a 500+ HP mid engined monster with no safety aids, so they put in all kinds of safety systems, too. If you don't want those things, go find an older Viper and try not to put it into a ditch. Or, if you want something newer, maybe a Hellcat.

But - that's kind of a blue collar supercar, right? So maybe you want something that will make everybody notice that your car looks like some kind of high performance space shuttle that must be owned by a very wealthy person. It'll probably need to be mid-engined, and full of funky aerodynamic racecar shapes. The McLaren is a pretty obvious choice there. It even has a turbo V8.

But, it's a British supercar with a turbo V8. You can swing $100k for the purchase, but regular five-figure service is out of the picture, so you probably don't want that. Plus, it's maybe a bit too much on the track side of things. You could get an i8 for lower running costs, and get the look, but then you'd be totally giving up on your big engine dreams. So you go to the top and start the cycle again.

If you want to split the difference, there's a reason that Porsches (and BMW M cars) are stereotypical "doctor/lawyer wants a sports car" cars. But you don't want that, either.

Figure out what it is you actually want besides vague statements about exclusivity, noise, and 12 year old you.

I want an older McLaren/Lambo/Ferrari/etc. with a V8/10/12, at least 500 hp, preferably convertible and preferably manual. I don't mind spending 5k/year on maintenance. I don't want to spend 20k/year on it. And Astons are absolutely old school mechanical super cars. NA V12, hydraulic steering and available in manual.

TheWevel posted:

I like a V8 as much as the next guy but that's not where 'super' cars are at these days. All the engineering is going into hybrid drive trains.

That's why I'm looking at last-gen cars.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

That was on my list, if I can find a clean one. And yeah, I might have to travel for it and I'm okay with that. I'm just worried about going out there and finding out the dealer was hiding how much of a wreck it is.

If you're not doing the most insane PPI on any 100,000 used car, you're a fool. A shop that specializes in that car will be way better at telling you if it is a wreck than yourself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

nm posted:

If you're not doing the most insane PPI on any 100,000 used car, you're a fool. A shop that specializes in that car will be way better at telling you if it is a wreck than yourself.

That's fair enough. There are a ton of supercar dealerships in Toronto. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to buy a car there for import to the US?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Find a local shop specialty shop as near the dealer in question as possible. Tell them to bring it there.

If they say no you spent no money at all, did not need to travel and yet still learned that there is no way in hell you wanted that particular car.

Edit: you also don't want anything that doesn't come with a complete stack of maintenance records that are made immediately available to you. Everything you've discussed so far are cars that 100% require rigorous periodic maintenance to not slide into a pit of despair that, to the untrained eye, may look and drive "fine". Right up until they don't and the #5 timing chain tensioner wipes out the rest of them on the back of the motor and turned that $15k periodic maintenance into a $60k motor replacement.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 10, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillHour posted:

That's fair enough. There are a ton of supercar dealerships in Toronto. How much of a pain in the rear end is it to buy a car there for import to the US?

As a Canadian, even with the extra purchasing power of your USD, its totally not worth it to buy from Canada. Its a pain for delivery and you are going to actually get like 10-30% worse buying power, because all of our cars are about 30-50% more expensive than in USA, so even with the exchange its a losing deal.

Actually a ton of Canadians drive down to NY car dealerships and buy from you guys because we can save 20% even after our cheap dollar. You car prices are way better.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

Find a local shop specialty shop as near the dealer in question as possible. Tell them to bring it there.

If they say no you spent no money at all, did not need to travel and yet still learned that there is no way in hell you wanted that particular car.

Good call. I guess it's not like buying a new Toyota where you go to a bunch of dealerships and test drive them all and buy the one you like the most. These are the kinds of things I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

KillHour posted:

There are people that specialize in this. You'll likely have to pay an import tax and you absolutely need to have the right stickers, as some cars that are legal in Canada are absolutely not legal in the US. Even then, you'll have headaches.
It will be easier to buy a car in Hawaii.