Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jayme posted:

Don't be afraid to drop your difficulty when needed - this might be slight gameplay spoilers, but you'll unlock the option of replaying days, with all the pins/items you've collected. It's so satisfying to run into a boss that kicked your rear end the first time and turn him into a smear on the ground!

I did so and got to week 2. I like Joshua so far, he's interesting and his gimmick is neat although I haven't finished his first day yet. I was just being stubborn about the difficulty because I didn't know there wasn't a reason not to drop it so I was being prideful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Leavemywife posted:

It's been a while since I played it, but I'd reckon the majority of the game is in the post game stuff.

This sentence makes absolutely no sense to me, and I've played a lot of JRPGs. (Bounced hard off of TWEWY, though, and never felt compelled to go back.)

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Pastry of the Year posted:

This sentence makes absolutely no sense to me, and I've played a lot of JRPGs. (Bounced hard off of TWEWY, though, and never felt compelled to go back.)

The postgame of TWEWY is, genuinely, a whole 'nother game behind it complete with its own story.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That sounds like less of a post game and more just... game

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

No you see it's different

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

Best comparison I can make is the Monster Hunter fights in Metal Gear: Peace Walker, sure you can do them and everything but there's not really anything to do with the main story at all.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So far with TWEWY I';m enjoying Week 2 (currently on day 2) because I like that The Reapers are actually in danger themselves now and freaking out because there is suddenly a Noise designed to kill them. I'm hoping week 3 is teaming up with one of them to kill said noise and take out who's responsible, but we'll see.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Which version are you playing? The original or one of the many ports?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Original. DS version but playing on 3DS because it has better screens.

I al;so appreciate the Reaper's designs so far, not only because the graffiti aesthetic is cool (I loved Sideway: New York) but also because they are different to what you expect - the food obsessed boss isn't fat, he's just built like a brick shithouse, so looks really hard. Similarly the math-obsessed one doesn't look like an anime nerd that I expected from the meme he became, having a more rebellious attitude and look.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:22 on Mar 6, 2019

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I need to get back into TWEWY - i have it on IOS and the port is REALLY good.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Like a bolt from the blue... It's time for a TWEWY review!

No seriously, what topic are we in? PYF?? Huh...

Oh well, my favorite little thing in that game is the distinct characterisation that even the most off-handed mooks can get with the most sparse dialogue and design. There's a lot of care going into every word and pixel.
Even the non-descript hooded dude from the reaper reviews gets some time to shine.
(spoilers for the last reaper review)

... man, they really used the music to its fullest in this game.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Man, now I feel like an old bitter man cause I hated everything about TWEWY. I bounced off of the game hard once I got to week two.

But for content and to balance out my complaining about EDF 4.1 in the other thread, the game does a really good job of introducing new enemies at a nice pace.

While some, like the red drones, are very similar to the base unit with stat changes other times the game will just blindside you with a new and unique enemy type.

Also gathering a group of soldiers and having them sing the EDF song never gets old.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

Man, now I feel like an old bitter man cause I hated everything about TWEWY.

I liked TWEWY a lot, but also bounced off then. Just couldn't get the hang of the new mechanic along with keeping track of both screens. Took a long time to finally give up because as much as it was a roadblock I still enjoyed the game.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

moosecow333 posted:

Man, now I feel like an old bitter man cause I hated everything about TWEWY. I bounced off of the game hard once I got to week two.

I beat it cause I had a long rear end train ride and that was the only game I had but I don't get the love for the game either. I felt like the screen was just filled with random bullshit all the time and I didn't find the combat that fun, just ok.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
I can't recommend the iOS port enough - since there's only one screen, they've changed the partner activation to certain inputs (for Shiki, it's tapping on an enemy), and they've made the partners invulnerable - you literally control them via a pin that's separate from your deck, with its own reboot time and everything. They've also made it so you can get Mingle Points from the Tin Pin Practice (excellent if you care at all about getting all the pins - guess what kind of person I am!), and you can fast-forward through all the cutscenes once you've beaten the game (not sure if this was in the DS version). The game still looks and plays largely the same, though, so if the storyline or bottom-screen battle system was the reason you dropped it, there's not much reason to try it again.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I never even made it to Week 2, because I couldn't control both characters and couldn't get through the first boss without Shiki getting killed.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I liked the game but I'd had my fill of it by the end so I never did the postgame stuff. Maybe I should pick it up for switch

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Glass Masquerade 2 having a tangled world map that revolves around one central puzzle is really neat, especially so since you earn pieces for that puzzle as you go, and can dip into it to see where the new pieces might fit.

I never thought I'd enjoy a dumb jigsaw game so much.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm currently torturing myself with Trials: Rising and it has some great little touches that are direct callbacks to previous games. One of the previous games is Trials Fusion, which had a GOTY edition with all the DLC called "Awesome Level Max" and one of the things they added was a very flamboyant unicorn to run the tracks with, as seen here:

In Trials: Rising, there's one stage where you can reverse at the beginning and fall into a dumpster where you'll see a stuffed unicorn among a few other callback items to Trials of the Blood Dragon and Awesome Level Max, as the fan reaction to both of those was pretty negative and it's fun to see RedLynx acknowledging the misstep and poking fun at themselves.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm really digging how the PS4 God of War characterises Kratos and Atreus as first and second generation immigrants respectively. Kratos not knowing what the gently caress is going on with the Norse gods and having to ask his son to explain what's going on and what all these runes mean is awesome.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm really digging how the PS4 God of War characterises Kratos and Atreus as first and second generation immigrants respectively. Kratos not knowing what the gently caress is going on with the Norse gods and having to ask his son to explain what's going on and what all these runes mean is awesome.

The bit early on where Atreus just cracks at being ordered around and told to read random poo poo is funny, especially the way he imitates Kratos. It's a nice bit of the game/characters being self-aware.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The party banter in Kenshi is loving great. Everyone is cynical and passive aggressive to one another and its fantastic. Its no happy go lucky party who looks to succeeded ~*~through the power of friendship~*~. No one likes each other, this makes it the best JRPG of this generation and all generations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm at the end boss of Week 2 on The World Ends With You and think I've worked out what it wants me to do (gonna go for long range/bullet attacks because when he becomes hittable he also becomes dangerous) and like the structure of the weeks so far. Week one was a basic week in the life of a player, with a mission each day then surviving the game master at the end of the week, but Week 2 completely throws out all of the established rules and a lot of the side characters are getting very mad about it. The game master is not setting missions and creating Taboo noise that's killing other reapers, he's building weird seemingly purposeless structures, your partner is a still-alive upstart who shouldn't even be there and is actively working to hijack the entire game by taking out the composer, most of the reapers are locked out of the game entirely and generally the whole week is a total mess.

It definitely keeps the game (and the Game :v:) from getting stale.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm at the end boss of Week 2 on The World Ends With You and think I've worked out what it wants me to do (gonna go for long range/bullet attacks because when he becomes hittable he also becomes dangerous) and like the structure of the weeks so far. Week one was a basic week in the life of a player, with a mission each day then surviving the game master at the end of the week, but Week 2 completely throws out all of the established rules and a lot of the side characters are getting very mad about it. The game master is not setting missions and creating Taboo noise that's killing other reapers, he's building weird seemingly purposeless structures, your partner is a still-alive upstart who shouldn't even be there and is actively working to hijack the entire game by taking out the composer, most of the reapers are locked out of the game entirely and generally the whole week is a total mess.

It definitely keeps the game (and the Game :v:) from getting stale.

at its core, successful combat in TWEWY is all about blitzing enemies fast enough to keep passing the puck, close or long-range

after a few passes it doesn't matter what you hit the noise with, they'll get absolutely shredded

ofc this applies to the original DS version, i don't know how they altered it for the switch

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Road degradation and having to account for it in Dirt Rally 2.0 is an incredibly cool thing that the first one didn't have. Also learning how to tweak your car's setup is incredibly satisfying when you get it right. I went from hating the Australian stages and really struggling on them to posting global top ten times on one of the stages with two of the historic cars. Now I just have to try and get a handle on the Group B monsters

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

at its core, successful combat in TWEWY is all about blitzing enemies fast enough to keep passing the puck, close or long-range

after a few passes it doesn't matter what you hit the noise with, they'll get absolutely shredded

ofc this applies to the original DS version, i don't know how they altered it for the switch

I've beaten the boss now, onto Week 3. Pretty interesting start so far in day 1.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GelatinSkeleton posted:

Road degradation and having to account for it in Dirt Rally 2.0 is an incredibly cool thing that the first one didn't have. Also learning how to tweak your car's setup is incredibly satisfying when you get it right. I went from hating the Australian stages and really struggling on them to posting global top ten times on one of the stages with two of the historic cars. Now I just have to try and get a handle on the Group B monsters
Dirt Rally was one of the best racing games I ever played, even though I completely sucked at it, and I'm glad the follow-up is better than Dirt 4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've beaten the boss now, onto Week 3. Pretty interesting start so far in day 1.

try to create the Blue Blood Burns Blue pin when/if you can, i remember it being one of the more potent options

also its name owns

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

try to create the Blue Blood Burns Blue pin when/if you can, i remember it being one of the more potent options

also its name owns

THanks for the advice, I'll see what pins I have that can evolve and actually try to get some to do so.

BTW thought you'd appreciate a cute anecdote from BabyEnchanted - when Silent Hill 3 first was advertised is magazines I had no idea what the Closer enemy type were called. Due to their posture, and their bulbous growths on the ends of their arms, I figured they looked like people carrying a heavy load of shopping back home from the grocery store, so in my mind until I later learned their actual names, they were just the "Shopping-bag arms"

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dirt Rally was one of the best racing games I ever played, even though I completely sucked at it, and I'm glad the follow-up is better than Dirt 4.

I actually really liked dirt 4, it was more arcadey though. Dirt Rally 2 is fantastic, and considerably more difficult than the first as they've improved the simulation

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Bought Watchdogs 2 because it was 80% off and I've been invading people since the first chance I got. I'm not winning like, any of them since I have basically nothing unlocked, but watching people freak the gently caress out as I literally drive circles around them pretending to be an NPC is amazing :allears:

At one point I apparently crashed a co-op mission, and watching them both suddenly sprint out to the road and start checking cars frantically was awesome. They accidentally aggroed the guys they were trying to steal from and I failed the hack because they got killed :negative: but it was still incredibly funny

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
DMC5 has the boss of the prologue be someone that you’re supposed to lose to in order to kick off the story of the game. However, if you’re good enough you can actually beat the boss and it gives you a secret ending. While the ending itself is just text on a screen I really appreciate that they allow people who are strong or good enough to actually stand a chance.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

GelatinSkeleton posted:

I actually really liked dirt 4, it was more arcadey though. Dirt Rally 2 is fantastic, and considerably more difficult than the first as they've improved the simulation

I was bad at dirt rally and probably won't play dirt rally 2 if it's that much harder. bombing around in the mini was fun, but half throttling in the kit cars and still wrecking got a bit old :/

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Danaru posted:

Bought Watchdogs 2 because it was 80% off and I've been invading people since the first chance I got. I'm not winning like, any of them since I have basically nothing unlocked, but watching people freak the gently caress out as I literally drive circles around them pretending to be an NPC is amazing :allears:

At one point I apparently crashed a co-op mission, and watching them both suddenly sprint out to the road and start checking cars frantically was awesome. They accidentally aggroed the guys they were trying to steal from and I failed the hack because they got killed :negative: but it was still incredibly funny

Watch Dogs 2 might have sold better if it didn't launch with the multplayer broken for like a week.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

moosecow333 posted:

DMC5 has the boss of the prologue be someone that you’re supposed to lose to in order to kick off the story of the game. However, if you’re good enough you can actually beat the boss and it gives you a secret ending. While the ending itself is just text on a screen I really appreciate that they allow people who are strong or good enough to actually stand a chance.

So, what are the rules for Any% runs in this case?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Double Punctuation posted:

Whatever makes for the most fun run, which probably means it becomes "Any% normal ending" instead of just "any%" in this case.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

I was watching a DMC speed runner last night and he was of the opinion that the secret ending is just a joke category. It’s like in the Far Cry games when you can walk away or whatever. The majority of speedrunning will be playing through the whole game - which incidentally means trying to get killed by the tutorial boss as fast as you can.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This week, my favorite little game thing is in DMC5 when V dramatically slams his poetry book closed after reading his totally dark and badass and not at all silly poem

https://twitter.com/4ri0ch668/status/1104599435265204224

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a kitten posted:

This week, my favorite little game thing is in DMC5 when V dramatically slams his poetry book closed after reading his totally dark and badass and not at all silly poem

https://twitter.com/4ri0ch668/status/1104599435265204224

all of his poems are actually from william blake

dunno the significance of that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does the V stand for Vogon?