Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
e: nah this is too mean so here's ooh la la instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie heist film is going to be allegory of the exploitation of the global south by capitalism.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

this thread delivers, i gotta say

Agreed, Slutition's probation was pretty hilarious.

Jimbot posted:

Zack Snyder's upcoming zombie heist film is going to be allegory of the exploitation of the global south by capitalism.

I seriously can't wait. Just thinking about the news makes me want to watch Dawn '04 again.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It took me way too long to realize that the dickish cap-wearing security guard in Dawn ‘04 was played by Frank Underwood’s Fixer from House Of Cards.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Better yet, we could imagine an alternate timeline where, instead of superhero movies, nerds were interpreting alien invasion movies as Scientologist propaganda.

This is potentially a good avenue to go down, tbh.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The best line in Dawn of the Dead '04 is "gently caress y'all", or the repeated answer of "we don't know" by the WH press secretary in the intro.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I've always been one of those people that just didn't enjoy horror movies or zombie stuff, but Dawn of the Dead '04 was the first example of both where I realised how close horror is to comedy at times.

Oh and it owns too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The best line in Dawn of the Dead '04 is "gently caress y'all", or the repeated answer of "we don't know" by the WH press secretary in the intro.

CJ's last line is pretty great too.

"loving figures..."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I like everything about DoD'04 except for the zombie baby, which I feel is in poor taste. Which I'm sure Snyder did as well, he absolutely revels in loving with the audience.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I got a dime on that being a James Gunn original

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

K. Waste posted:

It feels like something that couldn’t fit in Slither, but was kept in a back pocket.

(I know Slither came out later, but the baby feels like a first draft thing)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

CJ's last line is pretty great too.

"loving figures..."

That's a great one. Gunn's a much better scriptwriter than director.

K. Waste posted:

Dead baby joke is 100% a Gunn thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only thing I say makes Gunn a better director for his work is he’s obviously better at getting people to nail his jokes a bit more. Snyder is the only one who does it well though.

I’d love another collab.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I remember that stock footage of that mass Muslim prayer in the opening rubbed some people the wrong way. But I have no idea why.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Dead Baby is one of the scariest moments in Dawn of the Dead. I remember it being a big talking point when it came out, everyone was terrified by it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Franchescanado posted:

The Dead Baby is one of the scariest moments in Dawn of the Dead. I remember it being a big talking point when it came out, everyone was terrified by it.

Yeah I mean I can't argue against it. It's a horror movie and that poo poo is effective horror. I still think it's an ugly scene, 'cuz I got a soft spot for babies and kids.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah I mean I can't argue against it. It's a horror movie and that poo poo is effective horror. I still think it's an ugly scene, 'cuz I got a soft spot for babies and kids.

I am usually the same, but zombie babies wont ever be scary for me again after the playground scene in Dead Alive/ Braindead.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

i came here for theories on ga’hoole lore and i am extremely disappointed

The beautiful thing about ga'hoole is that it doesn't have any lore.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The beautiful thing about ga'hoole is that it doesn't have any lore.

I was wondering if it was an existing IP or not, and apparently it's based off of a SIXTEEN book series. :psyduck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_Ga%27Hoole

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ruddiger posted:

I was wondering if it was an existing IP or not, and apparently it's based off of a SIXTEEN book series. :psyduck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guardians_of_Ga%27Hoole

But the movie still has no world-building, which is genuinely good-

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Depends on the director, actually. Funny enough: Snyder is known for being highly collaborative with the actors, in fact we have a guy in this thread (Darko) who was on the set of BvS and gave us some ground-level views of his style. Unlike you, who made it up in your head after you watched a Stuckman Youtube video and an AV Club article with a clickbait headline.

Snyder cut my featured role and you only see me briefly in the Extended cut as one of Lex's guards being worked on in the corner by medics after Batman beat me up. And, like my feet or something in the gurney in the trailer/actual movie.

So I'm going to side with him being a dudebro Objectivist now out of spite.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
We all have personal beefs, but we should try and set them aside as best as possible, to at least keep an objective-ish viewpoint.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wow, you can even see in this shot that Lex is covered in a slimy layer of pure Objectivism.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I like everything about DoD'04 except for the zombie baby, which I feel is in poor taste. Which I'm sure Snyder did as well, he absolutely revels in loving with the audience.

I don't mind the zombie baby at all because it kind of fit and didnt really go super far with it. It was more.about Taye Diggs' reaction.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mekhi Phifer's in Dawn '04, not Taye Diggs.

Kanye kinda made a similar mistake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JAvDgh3rxk

Kanye West posted:

I was In Too Deep like Mekhi Phife...

Omar Epps is in In Too Deep, not Mekhi Phifer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Rap1ok1do

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 8, 2019

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One thing I always find funny is that the movie that doesn't treat Clark's midwestern upbringing as naively, inherently good and correct is supposed to be the one that's right wing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

"I was in too deep like Mekhi Phife" is a line too good to rewrite.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Martman posted:

Wow, you can even see in this shot that Lex is covered in a slimy layer of pure Objectivism.

This made me LOL in real life.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Yeah, there's even a cute joke where she warns Clark Kent that the bags are heavy, and he just shrugs while holding them all.

This is an older post but I just rewatched the scene in question and it's such a fun little gag:

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ruddiger posted:

They both so occupy that same space that I always forget who is in what.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
In the conversation of video games as art I want to point out that Snyder’s works are in fact art being discussed and argued about like a decade after. A true artist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are there a lot of people who don't consider movies art

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's fine. Movies don't considering those people art either.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://twitter.com/joss/status/1107897593256964096

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Person has protected their account, I can't see what he's responding to.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They asked Joss if he would recast Superman since Batman was being recast.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 19, 2019

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Joss thinking Superman just needs to smile and have Good Hair is pretty much perfect.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tell that to Henry's shaved lip

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Now is the time to bring back 90s mullet superman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Yes, Joss, the original script and the moustache were the problem with Justice League. :rolleyes: