Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

priznat posted:

Remember when that person was denied boarding with her emotional support gerbil so she flushed it in the airport bathroom to catch her flight?

What the gently caress. :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Godholio posted:

Yup

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/airplane-mode/hamster-flushed-down-toilet-after-college-student-s-pet-denied-n846116

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
:rip: pebbles

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

Last year.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/airplane-mode/hamster-flushed-down-toilet-after-college-student-s-pet-denied-n846116

Edit: beaten with the same link!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This does not bode well for emotional support hippos.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

ewe2 posted:

This does not bode well for emotional support hippos.

Where else is your girlfriend supposed to ride?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

e.pilot posted:

Where else is your girlfriend supposed to ride?

Obligatory "his girlfriend can usually be found riding me" comment

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

All of us at the time, and now, still

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
https://twitter.com/flightradar24/status/1104897693149728768

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
And so, for the first time ever, China's domestic aviation is safer than America's.

Honestly though this is baaaaaaad news for Boeing, though not unwarranted.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

They need to ground them all.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

And Irkut and Comac are perking their ears up, one expects.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tim Whatley posted:

They need to ground them all.

Yup.

I have a friend that's flying to Vegas tomorrow to meet her mom and I checked to make sure neither of them were gonna be flying on a MAX.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Cayman just suspended theirs too. I gotta say, I've lurked this thread for a long time as I have a deathly fear of flying but am fascinated with airplanes, so it's nice to just hear pilots shoot the poo poo as it makes me feel better. I've got a Southwest flight on Thursday (I don't think I'm on one down or back) and this is a huge bummer. Southwest really needs to ground them all.

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1104820074458857472

But nah, they remain confident.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 11, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My dad works for Southwest, I wouldn't say I'm genuinely afraid for his life in the upcoming months but I'm watching this Max 8 stuff with concern.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cat Mattress posted:

Lawyers can't fix bad publicity.

If I were in charge of an airline, I would be switching 737 Max orders for A320neos after this.

ftfy

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'll find out when I go to work in a bit if I worked on that ETH MAX at all. It's quite sobering, much like the Lion Air one.

edit:
I set up a document for it and did an initial walk-through to check some items in it prior to its first flight. It's quite eerie.

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 11, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Knee jerk hysteria. The loving ashes aren't even cold and everyone is convinced beyond a doubt that there's something deeply, inherently flawed with a plane that has been in continuous production for like half a century. Yeah sure, everyone is just going to renege on billions of dollars of contracts and sign new billions of dollars of new contracts with Airbus because a 320 didn't crash most recently.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Finger Prince posted:

Knee jerk hysteria. The loving ashes aren't even cold and everyone is convinced beyond a doubt that there's something deeply, inherently flawed with a plane that has been in continuous production for like half a century. Yeah sure, everyone is just going to renege on billions of dollars of contracts and sign new billions of dollars of new contracts with Airbus because a 320 didn't crash most recently.

Uh the Max 8 has been in the air for less than 2 years and a plane struggling to climb while accelerating before cratering, in perfect VFR conditions aligns pretty well with the failures that resulted in an earlier crash not all that long ago. People still bought 737s after the rudder issue caused the Colorado Springs and Pittsburgh crashes, but I don't think it's overreacting to legitimately wonder if 737MAXs are totally safe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

The DC-10 had 2 major incidents a couple years apart and that scared a lot of people away.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/20/us/troubled-history-of-the-dc-10-includes-four-major-crashes.html

quote:

McDonnell Douglas announced in August 1983 that it would end production of the DC-10, citing a lack of orders. Industry observers at the time attributed the DC-10's lack of popularity among airlines to its fuel-guzzling design and widespread public apprehension about flying in the plane after the 1979 American Airlines crash.

The max 8 has had those operational crashes in just a few months.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 11, 2019

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Yeah two very similar crashes of the same new model of plane in the span of 5 months is legit worrisome.

The max has only been flying for just over 3 years and been certified for 2.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Grounding planes temporarily seems like a prudent measure in this situation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don’t know what this says about me but I’d still ride a MAX with no second thoughts. A chance of fiery death is a small price to pay for overhead bins that don’t need to go eat my entire rear end.

P.S. I flew with an airline called Aeromar twice this week and while their airport operations were dodgy as gently caress compared to what I’m used to, the flights themselves were great and the pilots flying, on both occasions, pulled off crosswind landings that could be used as demos for perfect technique. I suppose it’s better to prioritise that over things like “assigning a gate more than 10 minutes before boarding.” A++ would fly again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This is deeply concerning considering modern expectations are benchmarked to the first 777 fatality happening 18 years after its first commercial flight and even then being the result of a fire truck hitting a fleeing passenger.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Plus Boeing leaving tools and FOD in the USAFs new KCs just seals the deal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

The fact that it's been in production for half a century with continuous refinements suggests that the newest versions should be essentially perfect. What is there to go wrong with a 737? Apparently something, if two of the newest version have crashed in similar circumstances within months of one another.

It might be a very unfortunate coincidence -- or it might not. As a point of comparison there are about 750 operational 787s right now, which were a totally new design and which have been flying for 7 years, and there hasn't been a single fatality associated with the type.

The preliminary report on the Lion Air crash suggests that a faulty AoA sensor triggered the plane's MCAS anti-stall features (repeatedly forcing the nose down), and that the procedures for handling erroneous operation of this system are new/different from previous versions of the 737, so the pilots didn't follow them properly.

If it turns out to be a problem with the sensors or the MCAS, Boeing is hosed.

If it turns out to be a problem with pilot procedures, Boeing is less hosed, but still pretty hosed because it implies the type conversion training isn't what it should be.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CommieGIR posted:

Plus Boeing leaving tools and FOD in the USAFs new KCs just seals the deal.

This is just a tried and true Defense Contractor tradition.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Sagebrush posted:

If it turns out to be a problem with the sensors or the MCAS, Boeing is hosed.

But Boeing has admitted this is a problem(ish) and provided additional training on the exact issue and how to recover from it to airlines? Certainly every 737MAX pilot must be aware of it after the Lion crash.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

To be fair, the Chinese grounding is just as likely related to the current chest puffing they have against the US and Canada now for daring arrest one of their billionaires as it is for "safety"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elviscat posted:

But Boeing has admitted this is a problem(ish) and provided additional training on the exact issue and how to recover from it to airlines? Certainly every 737MAX pilot must be aware of it after the Lion crash.

The procedure may not be practical.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Elviscat posted:

This raises the question of potential gaps in 737 Max training.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

The procedure may not be practical.
That's what I'm thinking. If you need all four hands on the yoke to keep it at least level a few hundred feet off the ground going 400 knots with extreme nose down elevator trim you're going to have a grand time reaching for the 2 stab trim cutout switches and turning the wheel manually. Then again I'm reading things that the cutouts are not going to disable MCAS, but I have not been able to confirm that with any official documentation.

I'm also reading that Boeing's guidance to operators to address this until they can patch the FCC software is to just turn on the autopilot. WHICH YOU CAN'T DO IF YOU'RE APPLYING ANY FORCE TO THE CONTROLS.

Good work, those people tearing Southwest a new one in that twitter thread. If it's true that the cutouts do nothing for MCAS ground the fuckers.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

If it is MCAS related, then the FAA probably steps in and grounds them until they fix it, which will probably be a hasty mandatory AD to deactivate it. Boeing probably eats the manhour cost of implementing it plus lost revenue while they're grounded. That'll be costly, but not the end of the world. Remember that the 787 was grounded for 4 months while they redesigned the battery enclosure, and it's doing fine. That was a much bigger undertaking than a software update and maybe some wiring changes.
It's ironic that the whole reason this MCAS system was created was due to customers who were worried about all the Airbuses stalling and falling out of the sky and wanting an automated anti stall system for an airplane that historically didn't have that problem.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Here's something a bit brighter in the aeronautical insanity category.

Techno laser plane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=valQZEMJBEg

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

Techno laser plane:

OMFG that is probably the greatest airplane related thing I have ever seen! Thank you for this!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

AzureSkys posted:

Techno laser plane:

goddamn I picked the wrong week to not be in Melbourne

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

AzureSkys posted:

Techno laser plane:

Right but what about radar seekers

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

AzureSkys posted:

Techno laser plane:

This is :krad:

Made some gifs of it

https://i.imgur.com/UmLX3f3.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vSct6fV.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/XPodycX.mp4

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's like unstealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's like unstealth

Bob, we need you to cause a distraction so we can sneak past those guards!

Say no more mates, I got this!

:stare: poo poo! We were so distracted we forgot to sneak past the guards!