Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

I can't wait to hear what you make of the one-two punch of Snake vs Bird and Ten Photographs further into the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Ten Photographs is one of my all-time favorite bits of short fiction, ever, and I'm sad that the concept of soft places doesn't really get much play in the rest of the nWoD books.

Is HRG the book that has the Seers who think they're dealing with another Seer cabal only to get horribly murdered by a flock of Strix that they didn't know existed?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Hi WoD thread, I used to be super into Vampire back in its heyday in the late 90s/early 2000s, LARP and all. I’ve recently started being super interested in playing again and I picked up all the 20th anniversary core books (I really want to play Mage someday) as well as Vampire 5e.

I think I might have a few willing players, but I would have to ST. So two questions:

1) what are some good (relatively current) first time ST resources like quick start chronicles?

2) what other ways do people find games?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pope Guilty posted:

Ten Photographs is one of my all-time favorite bits of short fiction, ever, and I'm sad that the concept of soft places doesn't really get much play in the rest of the nWoD books.

Is HRG the book that has the Seers who think they're dealing with another Seer cabal only to get horribly murdered by a flock of Strix that they didn't know existed?

Yes.

I still want a nWoD Blue Book on UFOs and Aliens.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zereth posted:

Clearly changes in the timeline mean it's much worse for JFK to survive, so they'll need to recruit JFK himself from the new, doomed timeline to be the grassy knoll gunman. :hai:

Spoilers for The Umbrella Academy (comic version, Volume 2)

This ends up with multiple versions of yourself fighting over whether or not to kill or save JFK.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah I read this last night and it rules. Again, I have no idea what someone with no nWoD knowledge would make of it. Also, shocked how clear the concept of Strix was that early in the line. I didn't really get a clear idea of wtf was going on with them until Requiem 2E.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I think I am going to read it all before asking more in-depth questions (and I *really* want to finish so I can inquire about it all because I am curious as gently caress), but "Shy's Kill" confused me. Sure, werewolves doing their thing was pretty straightforward to understand, but the interaction between the hunters left me very intrigued. Let's put it like that: no clue how Chronicles does this, but if Capital-L Big Lou aka the alleged Adversary gets name-dropped like that for something akin to a supernatural pub crawl riot, it certainly has nothing to do with him, since he only gets involved in major happenings.

But, of course, their leader signs with a L and said that "all of them must die", sends the medallion, and sure enough, the whole hunter group takes a full party wipe straight in their faces. WHAT. The plot didn't just get thick, it is a fully new layer of asphalt and concrete by this point :aaa:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Lucifuge isn't a spoiler, she's the leader of a group in Hunter: The Vigil [Also called the Lucifuge]. People with the blood of "demons" in them that hunt monsters for various ideological reasons. She's over a thousand years old, but the really powerful people in her group could live for over two. And, you know, being an insanely powerful demon blooded hunter with an army of minions and limitless wealth is nothing to sneeze at, even if you aren't the literal devil.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mulva posted:

The Lucifuge isn't a spoiler, she's the leader of a group in Hunter: The Vigil [Also called the Lucifuge]. People with the blood of "demons" in them that hunt monsters for various ideological reasons. She's over a thousand years old, but the really powerful people in her group could live for over two. And, you know, being an insanely powerful demon blooded hunter with an army of minions and limitless wealth is nothing to sneeze at, even if you aren't the literal devil.
So what I'm getting from that group is...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
In more ways that you might think- there was an issue where some art for the Lucifuge faction was literally just traced Dante with a shotgun instead of a sword.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ulmont posted:

Spoilers for The Umbrella Academy (comic version, Volume 2)

This ends up with multiple versions of yourself fighting over whether or not to kill or save JFK.

I was referencing a Red Dwarf episode, actually

I think the problem was that JFK living hosed up the space program enough that the titular ship never existed

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Mulva posted:

Oops, sorry. I put tags because there were other new faces around and I didn't want to speculate and throw ideas that might end up messing with other people's fun, haha.

Stopped for now at Ten Photographs and the only thing that I can say about it so far is what

That caught me so off-guard and without knowing any closer points of reference in the fluff, I feel like one of the characters assigned to analyse the file. What the gently caress is going there?

If this was set in Classic, I would say that given the corporate notes and messages that it would have something to do with Pentex (ominous board of directors and general evil fuckery) or a Technocratic convention that would bombard the city to ash if it the envelope wasn't in their hands or destroyed in one day max due to maximum reality deviancy. Even if it were the case, I would have no idea where to begin with to make sense of that :stare:

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

unseenlibrarian posted:

In more ways that you might think- there was an issue where some art for the Lucifuge faction was literally just traced Dante with a shotgun instead of a sword.

You're thinking of the Aegis Kai Doru art. The Task Force VALKYRIE art also has a blatantly traced pulse rifle from Aliens, and the Ascending Ones are represented by Lil Wayne. The artist got in some deep poo poo once it hit release and people kept pointing out the traces.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Sion posted:

Quick question about V5: Is there anything anywhere about how the world squared the Gehenna circle or did the end of the world just not really happen?

To give you a better answer, V5 ignores the (already entirely optional) Gehenna scenarios as presented in the Gehenna novel and the Gehenna book. Everything up to the end of Revised still happened, and V5 then advances the timeline 14 years from 2004 through 2018 (mostly ignoring V20 as well). It posits a different take on Gehenna, in the vein of the cyclical Gehenna mentioned more in 1e and 2e, that the Antes rise, change happens and then thins continue rather than the world ending. But nothing is concrete yet, and everything is meant to be more build up at this point in time, metaplot wise. The Gehenna Crusade that the Sabbat is waging is a direct result of the Antediluvians rising and calling their Childer to them through the Beckoning.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

dead comedy forums posted:

The plot didn't just get thick, it is a fully new layer of asphalt and concrete by this point :aaa:

It doesn't end there, either. While HRG mentions that missing person reports have popped up for the hunter cell, Linda survives and the end to her story pops up in Spirit Slayers, the Werewolf supplement in Hunter the Vigil.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Did the bastet ever get a write up in Chronicles?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Most of the Chronicles of Darkness spotlight on groups of shapeshifting animal-people aside from werewolves was focused into World of Darkness: Changing Breeds, a book which was not... good. It was the primary black sheep book of CofD until Beast happened. That book presents an overbreed called the Bastet, with subbreeds that share some names from the Bastet of the oWoD.

War Against the Pure presents the Colony, cat-people who labor under a curse which obligates them to engage in a regular hunt of retribution and punishment.
Skinchangers has a couple types of large cat spirits from the Shadow which are in the habit of possessing and Claiming human bodies to particular ends. The resulting human-spirit fusion can change form.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I Am Just a Box posted:

Most of the Chronicles of Darkness spotlight on groups of shapeshifting animal-people aside from werewolves was focused into World of Darkness: Changing Breeds, a book which was not... good. It was the primary black sheep book of CofD until Beast happened. That book presents an overbreed called the Bastet, with subbreeds that share some names from the Bastet of the oWoD.

War Against the Pure presents the Colony, cat-people who labor under a curse which obligates them to engage in a regular hunt of retribution and punishment.
Skinchangers has a couple types of large cat spirits from the Shadow which are in the habit of possessing and Claiming human bodies to particular ends. The resulting human-spirit fusion can change form.

Yeah. The conventional wisdom is use those two books and avoid Changing Breeds. Conventional wisdom is correct. To help you, it's written by Phil "Barefoot Teenagers" Brucato himself.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I thought Changing Breeds was for oWoD. There's one for CofD too?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. The conventional wisdom is use those two books and avoid Changing Breeds. Conventional wisdom is correct. To help you, it's written by Phil "Barefoot Teenagers" Brucato himself.

Oh dear god what did he do to get that nickname?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Players Guide to the Changing Breeds was a oWerewolf Revised book that went over the various Fera.

Changing Breeds was a book by phil brucato about being a sexy cat man who goes to furcons and then shits in peoples shoes because he saw them toss out a cigarette butt.

https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/kurieg/changing-breeds/

xanthan posted:

This is the joke version of Phil Brucato written by people who had to work with him.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Probably owing a lot to the authorial voice of Satyros Phil Brucato, a man who is a living parody of himself, the CofD Changing Breeds reads like a parody of the oWoD Changing Breeds and the tension between man and nature. There is a mechanic that literally says that, among other triggers and responses, you have to roll to resist being so pissed off at somebody flicking a lit cigarette on the ground that you slink in as an animal and poo poo on his shoes.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Mar 11, 2019

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lmao at mr. Brucatto, reminds me of those subpar method actors

But stop the presses, why I didn't know about this?

Horror Recognition Guide, "Theleme and Maman" posted:

He’s in his late 40s by the time he supposedly meets Karl Marx in London and defeats some kind of patrician vampire with him.

Karl loving Marx fighting vampires splatbook, WHEN

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

This is the joke version of Phil Brucato written by people who had to work with him.

If you hadn't told me this was a parody I would have believed it was real.

I was pondering what the nadir of nWoD 1e was. Any other really bad books in the line?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you hadn't told me this was a parody I would have believed it was real.

Again, it's probably not too far off from the truth. The man legally changed his name to "Satyros" and has written multiple books about sex magyk.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
there was a FnF review of some rock and roll magic thing that was insanely skeevy about a teenage girl for most of the book. that and his musical taste is poo poo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dead comedy forums posted:

lmao at mr. Brucatto, reminds me of those subpar method actors

But stop the presses, why I didn't know about this?

Karl loving Marx fighting vampires splatbook, WHEN
Marx DID seem to use some vampire metaphors very effectively... :hmmyes:

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I was pondering what the nadir of nWoD 1e was. Any other really bad books in the line?

Changing Breeds was the nadir all the way through until the day of Beast.

Proverbial Monsters is hilariously but harmlessly bad. It's a low-profile short supplement that I think might have originally been electronic-only? It's a series of monsters lazily based on aphorisms and idiomatic sayings, like how "all that glitters is not gold" because it might instead be Glitra, a sparkling ore vein monster that kills you!! Or how "if you step on a crack, you'll break your mother's back" because it'll be heavy when she carries your coffin because the crack was Doliochthon, an earth golem that hides in rifts in the earth and kills you!! With a little sample adventure about encountering Doliochthon that takes place in the jungle because of course you put the sidewalk crack monster in the jungle.

Mummy: the Curse in general isn't the best game, but they put out little ready-made player character packs with short writeups and sheets suitable as example PCs. In a game about ancient lich-kings summoned out of their periodic death-torpor by their worshipful cultists to beseech their aid, who spend their remaining time among the living manipulating the fate of cultures, Mummy's Ready-Made Characters run a fetish club.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 11, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I knew to avoid Changing Breeds, so it sounds like I'll cobble something together after looking at those other options.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

xanthan posted:

Write his teenaged waifu who walks around barefoot into a game. While being on record as a being a foot fetishist. And including art where the bare feet are prominently featured.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Wrestlepig posted:

there was a FnF review of some rock and roll magic thing that was insanely skeevy about a teenage girl for most of the book. that and his musical taste is poo poo

LatwPIAT posted:

Write his teenaged waifu who walks around barefoot into a game. While being on record as a being a foot fetishist. And including art where the bare feet are prominently featured.

I abandoned that review shortly after putting those pieces together because I felt too profoundly unsettled and gross to keep going with it. I might get back to it at some point but god, that was just vile.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Phil is, uh, yeah. He's a strange, strange man with some really loathsome traits. He's also a chaos magician neopagan and his particular, very late 80s views on magic massively underlie Werewolf and Mage. Same stuff resurfaced for Mage 20 so I don't think he's grown much as an occultist or person in the years between.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Just came here to say that I'm reading "The Master and Margarita" and it's basically a Ravnos clan novel set in Soviet Russia.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Daeren posted:

I abandoned that review shortly after putting those pieces together because I felt too profoundly unsettled and gross to keep going with it. I might get back to it at some point but god, that was just vile.

It was fun, aside from the rest of that. The man clearly thought the apex of music was reached somewhere in the late 70s and genuinely thought listening to KISS was some kind of rebellion.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I Am Just a Box posted:

Proverbial Monsters is hilariously but harmlessly bad. It's a low-profile short supplement that I think might have originally been electronic-only? It's a series of monsters lazily based on aphorisms and idiomatic sayings, like how "all that glitters is not gold" because it might instead be Glitra, a sparkling ore vein monster that kills you!! Or how "if you step on a crack, you'll break your mother's back" because it'll be heavy when she carries your coffin because the crack was Doliochthon, an earth golem that hides in rifts in the earth and kills you!! With a little sample adventure about encountering Doliochthon that takes place in the jungle because of course you put the sidewalk crack monster in the jungle.
... This sounds incredibly hilarious and I'm sad we don't have an F&F about it yet.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

There's also some hilariously awful poo poo in the Bloodlines books for early VtR, but none of it is especially, like, disgusting and awful so much as 'of course these are the smell vampires.'

Inferno had some pretty bad bits tho.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, man. I was re-reading Daeren's Powerchords F&F and had forgotten the dedication: 'Ashley Coyote Ward, my Beloved Feral Sweeteheart; her husband Brian Ward; their son Elijah; and all their Beloved Trybe.'

Why the 'y' in 'tribe' where a perfectly functional 'i' already sits ready to do its vowel work? Yes, I'm focusing on that so I don't have to pay attention to 'Beloved Feral Sweetheart.'

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Could have just shortened it to "Wolf Waifu".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Daeren posted:

I abandoned the BPG F&F, and F&F in general, for similar reasons.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, man. I was re-reading Daeren's Powerchords F&F and had forgotten the dedication: 'Ashley Coyote Ward, my Beloved Feral Sweeteheart; her husband Brian Ward; their son Elijah; and all their Beloved Trybe.'

Why the 'y' in 'tribe' where a perfectly functional 'i' already sits ready to do its vowel work? Yes, I'm focusing on that so I don't have to pay attention to 'Beloved Feral Sweetheart.'

Sweeteheart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

MoonKnight posted:

To give you a better answer, V5 ignores the (already entirely optional) Gehenna scenarios as presented in the Gehenna novel and the Gehenna book. Everything up to the end of Revised still happened, and V5 then advances the timeline 14 years from 2004 through 2018 (mostly ignoring V20 as well). It posits a different take on Gehenna, in the vein of the cyclical Gehenna mentioned more in 1e and 2e, that the Antes rise, change happens and then thins continue rather than the world ending. But nothing is concrete yet, and everything is meant to be more build up at this point in time, metaplot wise. The Gehenna Crusade that the Sabbat is waging is a direct result of the Antediluvians rising and calling their Childer to them through the Beckoning.

I didn't realise that V20 did stuff to the metaplot. I just thought it was a sort of greatest hits album.