Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, the writing of the kids' dialogue definitely feels forced at times. I actually like it in regards to Meadow because it often sounds like somebody trying their best to sound older, as opposed to an old person trying to sound young.

I always feel odd complaining about the show so heavily aping Scorcese because, after all, it is a mob show AND Scorcese is pretty loving amazing, but it's the same reason I was underwhelmed by American Hustle. Somebody trying to ape Scorcese just highlights how much better he is at it than anybody else. Coming to the Sopranos 20 years later, when the show is itself a cultural touchstone, it's fun to get back into the mindset that this was a pretty new and weird thing on television, and it is no surprise that it hadn't fully formed its own identity just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The only movie that I feel like it aped Scorsese and actually managed to pull it off is Boogie Nights. But Paul Thomas Anderson is pretty amazing in his own right.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great post, Jerusalem! As far as the ducks go, I think it’s just meant to be taken at face value, and that Melfi is meant to be right. It’s just not the most gracefully-written scene.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mahoning posted:

The only movie that I feel like it aped Scorsese and actually managed to pull it off is Boogie Nights. But Paul Thomas Anderson is pretty amazing in his own right.

A Bronx Tale should go in this category too.

Also, later seasons Christopher would never make that "Luis Brazzi" mistake.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is kind of funny that Analyze This came out the same year as the first season and if you just looked at the pilot you might think that it was also going to be some sort of profanity-filled dramedy what with stuff like "Nuthin.' We had coffee." and "What're you complainin' about? HMO, you're covered!" Or the joke about how two crews have a guy nicknamed 'Pussy.'

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Something I actually dig about the two Pussys bit is that Hesh is kind of indifferent to the idea that Big Pussy might be getting whacked, but a couple scenes later he and Big Pussy are hanging out all buddy buddy to pull their friendly threatening act against Mahaffey. Good reminder I guess that people in the life are family right up to the second that they have to go, at which point... eh, whatever.

Also goddamn I love that shot of the ice cream truck driving away and the kid speeding after it on his bike as Mahaffey realizes just how utterly hosed he is.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I still love that the pilot has Tony as the boss of the family and then they just pretended like Jackie was the boss the whole time when the show started.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

I still love that the pilot has Tony as the boss of the family and then they just pretended like Jackie was the boss the whole time when the show started.

That is funny in hindsight, as Tony's house is on a scale bigger than the Apriles' (unless Rosalie moved after Jackie died, which I guess is possible) and that would probably be a no-no. Every other Jersey guy we see lives in places considerably smaller.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I think they try to justify it as Tony was such a good earner that they gave him a lot more leeway than normal and set him up with a phony job that could justify his income enough to afford his McMansion/put his kids into high end schools etc.

That does have a neat parallel later in the show's run when Ralph shows up and he also generates so much money that he's given a lot more rope than everybody else (still lives in a pretty normal suburban house though), though obviously that doesn't end so well for him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Do they actually call Tony the boss in the pilot or is it just an implied thing?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There's a scene where Junior snaps at Tony and asks who the hell he thinks he is, and Tony replies,"I'm the guy who says what's what."

At the end of the episode, Junior tells Livia that some "friends of ours" in New York are saying maybe Junior should be in charge rather than Tony, which implies that Tony is the top guy in Jersey. There's enough wiggle room in what is portrayed plus the back story of Jackie Aprile to make it work okay, but I do think the fact that random dudes in some upmarket restaurant know Tony from the newspapers show he was meant to be a pretty prominent mobster as opposed to just some capo.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YlqDuKazUU&t=22s

Speaking of awkward dialogue.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
what works about jackie is that he's such a moron that you can't tell if he's being sincere or if he's trying to ingratiate himself to meadow to get closer to tony

meadow's also a colossal moron

everyone's a moron except for furio and charmaine

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Jackie's story is sad. The kid just isn't very bright, and his two main role models both don't actually try anything save 'threats' and 'give him a gun' and shockingly none of that works.

It does also feature Meadow's full transformation into Future Mob Wife.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

It's hard to believe that this scene and the fight scene from Whitecaps is the same show.

But yeah, after somebody said it, I'm now realizing that everyone that's not an older white person has poorly written dialogue.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Tony has spent the episode complaining that things aren't like they were back in the day, that this new generation lacks the work ethic and strength of purpose of even his generation. But as he walks with one of those new generation kids looking to the future, Livia and Junior drive to the party echoing many of his same complaints. Or rather Junior does, as Livia carefully and purposefully allows him to drive the conversation himself. What starts initially as two old people complaining about the younger generation not valuing them quickly turns into Junior ranting about how he can't run his business the way he wants, with Tony sticking his nose in, and not paying the proper respect to New York! Things are down all across the board, alot of friends of theirs are complaining, and the mob is no longer recession proof. As he rants, Livia's face tightens as she ponders what is being said, especially as he - carefully eying her up from the side - lightly touches on the idea that maybe... just maybe something needs to be done about Tony.

I love how, when the topic starts veering away from the topic she wants (ranting about Tony) to generic old-person ranting about younger people, she immediately cuts him off so he refocuses on his original point. Old-person rants like that very rarely go back to the original point once they start flying off the rails.

Jerusalem posted:

It has been argued that Tony Soprano was an anti-hero, perhaps the first of the modern generation that birthed a renaissance in television drama. But while it is true he was a horrible, monstrous person, never let it be forgotten that the real villain of the piece, at least while Nancy Marchand was alive, was Livia Soprano. One of the most incredible, complex and horrific monsters in television history. We're just getting started on a wild loving ride.

Marchand stood out so much to me that I never quite liked the show as much once she died. In hindsight that is very unfair given the amount of excellent work past season 2, but I viewed her as just as important to the show as Tony.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was never quite the same once she was gone, as the mother/son dynamic gives it something special that otherwise can't be emulated. But goddamn if Janice didn't give it the old college try when it came to filling that void.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
If Marchand didn't die, how were they going to resolve the Livia testifies against Tony storyline? Has Chase ever said?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

It was never quite the same once she was gone, as the mother/son dynamic gives it something special that otherwise can't be emulated. But goddamn if Janice didn't give it the old college try when it came to filling that void.

I do feel like Janice kind of fell by the wayside after season two, although it did pick up again she latched herself onto Bobby.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's unfortunate that Aida Turturro never really got much work post-Sopranos, because creating a character that hateable is a true talent. I know a lot of it was in the writing but goddamn she took it to another level. In a show full of people who were getting theirs by exploiting and chewing up the lives of others, somehow Janice still takes the cake. Just a disgusting, worthless person. The only decent thing she did the entire series was killing Richie.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
It's a testament to the show that Janice really seemed to be on the verge of trying to turn her life around and start over but Tony just wouldn't let her. He couldn't stand the thought of her being happy so he picked at her and wore her down until she snapped.

Chase just had no qualms about showing how evil the characters were. He wasn't trying to make anyone redeemable.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Janice laughing about how her mother would spy on the neighbours and then later on she was doing the exact same thing herself.

It is pretty incredible that in a show centred on literal Mafioso the most disliked character is Janice.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

escape artist posted:

If Marchand didn't die, how were they going to resolve the Livia testifies against Tony storyline? Has Chase ever said?

The airplane tickets she got in the season 2 finale were going to play a huge part of the Season 3 plot since they were pretty clear evidence of racketeering and fraud. Tony was going to have to convince his mother not to testify against him and she was going to hold it over him the entire season but I don't remember what the resolution was going to be.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What this show did so well is showcase how even small, everyday acts can be just loaded with good or ill intent. We see a lot of murders, robberies, lives just completely ruined by violence, but just as impactful were scenes like Janice manipulating Bobby into eating the ziti and prematurely tossing away the memory of his wife, whom he really did love- all so that she can take her place and enjoy a leisurely life of doing nothing and spending someone else's money.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Midgetskydiver posted:

Chase just had no qualms about showing how evil the characters were. He wasn't trying to make anyone redeemable.

It's interesting you bring that up as I was recently trying to get through another series about OC in Sons of Anarchy and there it seems almost schizophrenic, jumping back and forth between 'these guys are just scum on Harleys' and 'no, wait, they are noble outlaws.' In The Sopranos, everybody is if not likable at least engaging (mostly) but we don't ever think, I dunno, Johnny Sac's going to turn it around.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dawgstar posted:

It's interesting you bring that up as I was recently trying to get through another series about OC in Sons of Anarchy and there it seems almost schizophrenic, jumping back and forth between 'these guys are just scum on Harleys' and 'no, wait, they are noble outlaws.' In The Sopranos, everybody is if not likable at least engaging (mostly) but we don't ever think, I dunno, Johnny Sac's going to turn it around.

Yea poo poo like that is what happens when the writer/creator of the show has no clear vision and doesn't understand character development. The audience notices when you spend hours and hours building up characters as conflicted good guys, and then jump tracks as soon as it's convenient into having them mass execute people and causing ridiculous amounts of collateral damage to the community. Then when the show is coming to an end you want to have people buy into your sad sack Jesus fantasy, gently caress off Sutter.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Yea poo poo like that is what happens when the writer/creator of the show has no clear vision and doesn't understand character development. The audience notices when you spend hours and hours building up characters as conflicted good guys, and then jump tracks as soon as it's convenient into having them mass execute people and causing ridiculous amounts of collateral damage to the community. Then when the show is coming to an end you want to have people buy into your sad sack Jesus fantasy, gently caress off Sutter.

At one point the Sons walk into a room, kill 3 people including a preacher, then go "whoopsie wrong room" and walk out like it's no big deal.

The later attempts for teary eyes remose when having to decide on the fate of another member fall completely flat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm sure after they killed 3 people including a preacher accidentally, Jax sat on the roof and read his dad's journal and happened to find an entry that started,"Well this one time I accidentally killed 3 people including a preacher, and here's how I came through that okay...."

I still say season 2 of that show was excellent. But oooooh boy everything after that was loving madness and I gave up on the last 2-3 seasons entirely.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I'm sure after they killed 3 people including a preacher accidentally, Jax sat on the roof and read his dad's journal and happened to find an entry that started,"Well this one time I accidentally killed 3 people including a preacher, and here's how I came through that okay...."

I still say season 2 of that show was excellent. But oooooh boy everything after that was loving madness and I gave up on the last 2-3 seasons entirely.

Season 1 and 2 were really good and worked well because the overall theme was something like Hamlet but meant to evoke a sort of Shakespearean feel. That falls off when then they go to Ireland for whatever reason and Jax finds out he has a half sister. Kurt Sutter wanted to have them gently caress in the show for drama and was apparently talked down from it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked seasons 1 and 2 a lot because of the whole Hamlet on bikes + Sagal in a very Lady MacBethesque role. The Ireland season was a loving slog and is where the wheels started coming off, 4 was where it really went south imo. I stopped in season 5 and then forced myself to catch up when it ended, just to see for myself how bad it got. Goddamn it was bad.

also tbf season 3 was mostly only saved by Stahl being great

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

Season 1 and 2 were really good and worked well because the overall theme was something like Hamlet but meant to evoke a sort of Shakespearean feel. That falls off when then they go to Ireland for whatever reason and Jax finds out he has a half sister. Kurt Sutter wanted to have them gently caress in the show for drama and was apparently talked down from it.

Also Adam Arkin and Henry Rollins as the seasons' villains were amazing.

Not gonna lie - there was something really, deeply weird to me about Sutter's seeming obsession with mutilating the character he played on the show.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 13, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea the Sons as characters only worked when the show was able to put them up against a villain that was strong enough to make you forget how ridiculous it was to be rooting for a sociopathic, ultraviolent criminal gang. A neo-nazi and a corrupt FBI agent are pretty easy solutions to that problem, but after that Sutter wasn't able to find any others that worked nearly as well. Pope never cut it and then after that the show never reappeared again from up its own rear end with all the dumb storylines with Clay and then Jax's mother and the wife and baby oh god it was all so terrible.

There was a really funny SA thread that was hatewatching the show and commenting on it in the final seasons and really that's the only reason I watched all those episodes.

Anyway in my recent Sopranos rewatch I reached the best line in the entire series. Some of you may be able to guess what it is without even clicking it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbldmqXrVg

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 13, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dawgstar posted:

Also Adam Arkin and Henry Rollins as the seasons' villains were amazing.

Not gonna lie - there was something really, deeply weird to me about Sutter's seeming obsession with mutilating the character he played on the show.

He really enjoyed being the butt of rape jokes.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Basebf555 posted:

Anyway in my recent Sopranos rewatch I reached the best line in the entire series. Some of you may be able to guess what it is without even clicking it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbldmqXrVg

Expected "GO poo poo IN A HAT" but that works too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Thinking about lil' Vito stepping in his own poo poo in the shower room at school. I felt bad for that little dude.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

ruddiger posted:

Thinking about lil' Vito stepping in his own poo poo in the shower room at school. I felt bad for that little dude.

“You look like a Puerto Rican whore.”

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
There are so many "best lines" but the one that always cracks me up is Paulie telling Tony he'll head back to the hotel because he has to "take a wicked poo poo".

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Motherfucking goddamn orange peel beef.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"loving queers!"
*throws chair at ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I been dreamin of that fuckin lo mein all the way the gently caress over here now WHO CAME IN HERE AND ATE MY poo poo