Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MillennialVulcan posted:

Ed and Gordon should have hugged. Between Ed's uncertainties about being a Captain and Gordon just losing another friend, they need something more emotional than just a handshake there.

Too true, mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Family Guy is real bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that's the one I was thinking if, I got who delivers the punchline backwards. That aired a couple months ago

Iron Crowned posted:

Family Guy is real bad

That's a solid gag I thought

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Donovan Trip posted:

The truth is he's just never acted before, he was a receptionist at the family guy offices since 2005 and became good friends with McFarlane. They're writing and drinking buddies.

I'm shocked, just shocked

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah she's still voicing Meg, the only voice changeover(assist from Chabert) I know of is Peters Boss who was Carrie Fisher, and Adam West.

Also somebody please explain the emoji to me. What is it a reference to. What is it's sentiment supposed to be. I see it used all over the place but always seems to be in slightly different contexts

It's a general yikes/wtf reaction. It's from a video where a mom tells her 2 kids they're going to Disneyland, and the older one is freaking out but the younger one (Chloe) makes this face https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/side-eyeing-chloe

I use that and :wtc: pretty interchangeably.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

That's a solid gag I thought

It’s really not. It probably could have been, but that’s the laziest, least clever way they could have done it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the arbiter of comedy has spoken

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

It’s really not. It probably could have been, but that’s the laziest, least clever way they could have done it.

What sells it to me is how bad the not-Peter's voice is.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It would have worked if that was Peter's voice for the entire episode with no explanation or reaction from the characters, and that specific joke was the very end of the ep.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That would be way too long a setup.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nah, the real funny joke would have been 20 minutes of setup for a single gag, thats what really should have happened. i mean, the show sucks and is bad, but i'll just punch up the jokes a bit to appeal to my evolved tastes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, Family Guy is more of a "way too long an execution" kind of joker.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

bring back old gbs posted:

nah, the real funny joke would have been 20 minutes of setup for a single gag, thats what really should have happened. i mean, the show sucks and is bad, but i'll just punch up the jokes a bit to appeal to my evolved tastes

Family guy is about loosely related 2-4 minute long jokes. It would be so much better if they ditched the narrative and just made Family Guy into a 5-10 minute Adult Swim show that is on at 2AM. That's basically what it is, only in 30 minute long format for some reason.

Family Guy cannot do callbacks at all, they are terrible at it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't say it would make the show funny, just that the joke would work

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pixaal posted:

Family guy is about loosely related 2-4 minute long jokes. It would be so much better if they ditched the narrative and just made Family Guy into a 5-10 minute Adult Swim show that is on at 2AM. That's basically what it is, only in 30 minute long format for some reason.

Family Guy cannot do callbacks at all, they are terrible at it.

Isn't that just Robot Chicken

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Family Guy still has at least one episode a year that makes me cry laughing.

Last year it was the one where Peter and Lois are trying to rekindle their romance and go to a cabin, and then they both start going over a laundry list of the mundane ways the cabin is completely lovely, all of which were so spot on to various gripes my wife and I have had about hotels we both completely lost it after a couple of minutes of the gag.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Last year it was the one where Peter and Lois are trying to rekindle their romance and go to a cabin, and then they both start going over a laundry list of the mundane ways the cabin is completely lovely, all of which were so spot on to various gripes my wife and I have had about hotels we both completely lost it after a couple of minutes of the gag.

I think that's actually the place where FG does succeed: the observation of petty annoyances, everyday gripes, the kind of "I hate it when..." moments that you don't think about much after but FG takes it to an extreme.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Brawnfire posted:

I think that's actually the place where FG does succeed: the observation of petty annoyances, everyday gripes, the kind of "I hate it when..." moments that you don't think about much after but FG takes it to an extreme.

Family Guy is one of the shows that (like Orville has) listened to what people liked and then turned it up to 11.
So people liked the chicken, they liked the gag where peter was going "owwwww" for ages. They liked cutaways!

The show came back and that's all it was, those things. Over and over. Forever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Taear posted:

Family Guy is one of the shows that (like Orville has) listened to what people liked and then turned it up to 11.
So people liked the chicken, they liked the gag where peter was going "owwwww" for ages. They liked cutaways!

The show came back and that's all it was, those things. Over and over. Forever.

The most recent thing with the chicken which also made me laugh, was Lois and the Chicken being friends on Facebook and chatting about how bad their respective marriage are. The chicken types in the chat "You deserve so much better. I would be so much better to you" or something like that, then hurriedly deletes it before pressing send, with a look of guilt on his face

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Here's a pretty succinct explanation of why I think that joke didn't work using The Simpsons as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&t=1248s

"A self-referential, throwaway piece of nothing." I guess that pretty much encapsulates how I feel about it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:catstare:

Trap loving Sprung Motherfucker

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
rofl i do not appreciate that meme, i am a important tv watching man

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I think Lamar is fine

Some people are just like that. This is, among other things, Working In An Office In Space. I'd take his delivery over Ash Voq Tyler on DISCO any day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Besides he actually has gotten to be in the bridge the last couple episodes because Gordon has been off ship. He even got to blow up a Kaylon ship and shout his signature catchphrase "BOOM, bitch!"

Oh God I'm not helping his case

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like Lamar

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's not a "some people are like that" issue though, he is very clearly reading his lines off a particularly boring piece of cardboard

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

So an example of a line read I thought was really good from him: "Who's the lucky lady? Or... fella? Or... Uh, o-object? "

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It's not a "some people are like that" issue though, he is very clearly reading his lines off a particularly boring piece of cardboard
Nah

So an example of a line read I thought was really good from him: "Who's the lucky lady? Or... fella? Or... Uh, o-object? "
:yeah:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

How do you reconcile his lovely acting with Issac though? A literal robot who is capable of responding to words and sentences as if there are other people in the room? But this human character verbalizes his dialogue like its a text to speech program that doesnt have any context of the previous line of dialogue? How can you watch him interact with other people and think that is acceptable in terms of an actor's performance?

Socially stunted, bored genius, autistic, whatever his condition is, people who have those conditions in real life are still humans who respond in context. Lamarr's doing a lovely dalek impression every time he speaks but I am absolutely not convinced that is his choice as an actor, he's done nothing to earn that benefit of the doubt.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Lamar is alright. It does look like they adjusted his role based on his ability to carry a scene though. As a supporting player he's good.

Not everyone can be a Dann.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The first "Boom, bitch!" was dumb, but the second one was earned and satisfying.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Donovan Trip posted:

Apparently I'm the only one who's excited whenever he turns up. He's in some of my favorite bits ( him and Malloy running up to the deck to gossip about Isaac might be the most I've ever laughed at the show) and hasn't had much of a chance this season to stand out. I'm hopeful he can get some time to develop more on screen. The truth is he's just never acted before, he was a receptionist at the family guy offices since 2005 and became good friends with McFarlane. They're writing and drinking buddies.

Lol, is this actually true? Because that would uh, explain it all really.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

How do you reconcile his lovely acting with Issac though? A literal robot who is capable of responding to words and sentences as if there are other people in the room? But this human character verbalizes his dialogue like its a text to speech program that doesnt have any context of the previous line of dialogue? How can you watch him interact with other people and think that is acceptable in terms of an actor's performance?

Socially stunted, bored genius, autistic, whatever his condition is, people who have those conditions in real life are still humans who respond in context. Lamarr's doing a lovely dalek impression every time he speaks but I am absolutely not convinced that is his choice as an actor, he's done nothing to earn that benefit of the doubt.

The fact that Issac is a "robot" is completely immaterial as he is a supercomputer alien AI with a brain the size of a planet.

I just don't see Lamarr's character as that unrealistic. Some people are loving weird. In your estimation, the actor is, right?

Maybe Lamar is the bored augment Bashir of the Orville

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Tom Guycot posted:

Lol, is this actually true? Because that would uh, explain it all really.

He's had a bunch of bit parts, did some Seth things, and is on The Orville.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lamarr didn't come off as stilted or weird to me, he comes off as mostly normal and natural

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Not all black spacemen can command a room like Sisko, some are just trying to get through the workday like Geordi.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

He comes off to me as half-baked and being like "haha whoa" when something happens

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Lamarr didn't come off as stilted or weird to me, he comes off as mostly normal and natural

I know right? Where the hell do some of you live that you've never met anybody like Lamarr before holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Lamarr is just depressed because they moved him to engineering, and he's not allowed to drink soda there.