Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

Also Dark Starr

Like, so much of Dark Starr

Since Dan O'Bannon wrote both did he plagiarize himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Pandorum is a movie with fun leads and good production and an awesome concept, but absolutely shits its pants in execution. It also has some of the most horrendous editing I've ever seen in a wide release.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I've watched Pandorum like 3 times thinking "Man, I love every single thing about this on paper" and end up disappointed every time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's a film that just strangely Does Not Work in a way where I can't point to one thing in particular for its failure. It's essentially The Descent in space, which should be an easy win, but doesn't have the muscle behind the camera to push it over the finish line.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

Also Dark Starr

Like, so much of Dark Starr

Is this like a grimly revelatory ringo Starr biopic or what

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah I always find it interesting to reflect on what it is that certain films have, a certain brilliance or LIFE animating the writing or directing, that give them something, even sometimes with crappy budget or effects, that other similary budgeted films lack.

Like Hellraiser is a film that looks like it has a fairly low budget. But the dialogue and writing are sharp and clever. Characters are good, the story compelling.

Even with super low rent films like Phantasm and Sleepaway Camp, they are not clever like Hellraiser but have a certain sincerity and earnest quality that make them compelling to me that other low budget horror films absolutely lack.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Fart City posted:

Pandorum is a movie with fun leads and good production and an awesome concept, but absolutely shits its pants in execution. It also has some of the most horrendous editing I've ever seen in a wide release.

I was under the impression that it was 2 separate scripts that were stitched together after the fact. The Quaid storyline and the Space Morlocks storyline have basically nothing to do with each other.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That would actually make a lot of sense and probably speak to why both those seemly interesting ideas never actually connect to make a good film.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DeimosRising posted:

Is this like a grimly revelatory ringo Starr biopic or what

How have you not seen Dark Star

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Finally saw ReAnimator after 30 years of slacking and man that's a movie that doesn't waste any time.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Easy Diff posted:

Vampire Hunter D is good and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is near-perfection

Haven’t seen either since my early teens, but I really disliked Vampire Hunter D for how it used its female characters. Bloodlust was overwhelmingly stunning but I doubt it’s as feminist as 14 year old me felt it was.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zwabu posted:

Since Dan O'Bannon wrote both did he plagiarize himself?

Nah, he got everything from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Easy Diff posted:

Vampire Hunter D is good and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is near-perfection

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is great.

I love the worldbuilding, it throws the weirdest things together and everything just works. It is the year 12000, nuclear holocaust happened, people live in Wild West-like towns, Vampires castles are gothic ruins with spaceships in them, mechanical horses, rail guns, motion-sensor lasers, monsters are real, giant manta rays swim in the desert and drugs can turn you into a ghost that shoots laserbeams.

BioTech fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 11, 2019

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Reviews for Us are trickling in.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/us_2019

It's at 100% with 39 reviews so far. The praise is glowing.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched Hellier. I'm not sure if it counts as a movie or a series. Either way it is really bad. Imagine if a dude got a Nigerian scam email but took it seriously and then when he found out there was no Nigerian prince's millions of dollars he decides it was never about the millions of dollars but in fact was the mothman.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Untrustable posted:

I watched Hellier. I'm not sure if it counts as a movie or a series. Either way it is really bad. Imagine if a dude got a Nigerian scam email but took it seriously and then when he found out there was no Nigerian prince's millions of dollars he decides it was never about the millions of dollars but in fact was the mothman.

It's really awful. You can literally see these people getting scammed in real-time. The first episode was good and kept me watching, but everything else after that was straight garbage. These people very, very stupid.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ehud posted:

Reviews for Us are trickling in.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/us_2019

It's at 100% with 39 reviews so far. The praise is glowing.

dope

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So I saw Day of the Dead for the first time and I don't think I've been as hosed up or disturbed by a horror movie kill then when the zombies rip that one guy's head off while he's screaming and his voice shoots up several octaves because they tear apart his vocal cords. Like, I'm actually upset that I had to see that. I don't think horror movies are for me, guys...

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I saw Day of the Dead for the first time and I don't think I've been as hosed up or disturbed by a horror movie kill then when the zombies rip that one guy's head off while he's screaming and his voice shoots up several octaves because they tear apart his vocal cords. Like, I'm actually upset that I had to see that. I don't think horror movies are for me, guys...

That honestly stands out to me as one of the most brutal things in a horror movie. Like, top 10 at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheKingslayer posted:

That honestly stands out to me as one of the most brutal things in a horror movie. Like, top 10 at least.

:same:

It's one of the few things I've seen in a movie that still disturbs me no matter how many times I've seen it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The gore in that movie is pretty over the top; Savini pulled out all the stops for that one. I had a brief phase where I thought it was a gorehound when I was younger and stupider but that’s completely gone now. The good news is that most horror movies aren’t like that! (Partially because only a few had the budget/talent to pull off something that gross)

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

The 1970 Japanese movie Blind Woman's Curse is on Prime and that's a movie everyone here should see. Something I love about it is how the horror content is sort of on the fringes of society and of the characters' lives but interwoven into the trappings. Like when you watch it, you'll regularly start to think "huh, I guess this is more of a lighthearted sort of revenge romp more than anything" but then some poo poo goes down and it gets more and more frequent. It's not super gory by today's standards but what's there stands out and is memorable because of those sudden changes in tone. The main gist of it is a brutally escalating gang war that's both egged on by and also feeds the bloodlust of an evil black cat. So like it goes from folks goofing around/whatever to one of our friends has had the tattoo ripped off their back and they've been strung up in a tree and the tattoo has been pinned to our front door kind of stuff. Also stars Meiko Kaji (Lady Snowblood herself).

That way it's on the fringes is also kind of interesting because of the setting. It follows a lot of yakuza tropes, but it's in a much more rural setting, like it just feels waaaay out there and disconnected from the modern world and has some light psychedelia moments that add to that.

Thank you for this, I watched it last night and it rules. I didn't realize it was the same director who did Horrors of Malformed Men, which by total coincidence I watched for the first time this weekend as well.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

Scenarios where someone is aware of what’s happening to them as it slowly happens in real-time always makes sort of squirm.

Like Pirhana 3D is a fairly goofy movie, but there’s a quick shot during the big attack on the lake where two guys are trying to carry an injured woman to safety and she’s pleading for them to stop, and she just suddenly falls apart at the waist that is similarly urgggh.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

gey muckle mowser posted:

Thank you for this, I watched it last night and it rules. I didn't realize it was the same director who did Horrors of Malformed Men, which by total coincidence I watched for the first time this weekend as well.

Awesome!

Also thank you because I still have to see Horrors of Malformed Men, it's been on my list for a while. :hfive:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fart City posted:

Scenarios where someone is aware of what’s happening to them as it slowly happens in real-time always makes sort of squirm.

Like Pirhana 3D is a fairly goofy movie, but there’s a quick shot during the big attack on the lake where two guys are trying to carry an injured woman to safety and she’s pleading for them to stop, and she just suddenly falls apart at the waist that is similarly urgggh.

Pirhana 3d was always very upsetting to me because it seemed a movie that wanted to be seen as silly and fun despite a lot of unchecked misogyny and general misanthropy

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Unfortunately par for course for an Aja joint

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fart City posted:

Unfortunately par for course for an Aja joint

I was always surprised Paul Scheer was cool with it considering he tends to be vocally socially conscious about his film roles

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It’s the ones that stick with me like that that keeps me coming back. Day of the Dead is way better than its reputation.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Neo Rasa posted:

Awesome!

Also thank you because I still have to see Horrors of Malformed Men, it's been on my list for a while. :hfive:

Definitely check it out, it's on Prime as well. It gets way more bizarre and psychedelic than Blind Woman's Curse and the last act is some of the wildest poo poo I've ever seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

It’s the ones that stick with me like that that keeps me coming back. Day of the Dead is way better than its reputation.

I think it's better than Dawn and that it's really not even a very close race. The atmosphere is better, the violence is more intense, and probably most important is that the characters are great. There are three or four characters in Day of the Dead that are more memorable than any in Dawn, at least in my opinion. For me the appeal of Dawn is all in the setting and Day has it beat in pretty much ever other area you can think of.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
day of the dead is like night of the living dead except every character is the father

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Pretty much every character in Day of the Dead is in some stage of a nervous breakdown. It would be a very tense watch even if it weren't for all the scenes of people being torn apart.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I was always surprised Paul Scheer was cool with it considering he tends to be vocally socially conscious about his film roles

I'm thinking that, intent or not, Piranha 3D is so over the top that it's basically making fun of it. Also, the main misogynist's dick being eaten off is so pointed to be ridiculous.

That movie had some of the best CG deaths overall - they still managed to be pretty convincingly gory.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

Pretty much every character in Day of the Dead is in some stage of a nervous breakdown. It would be a very tense watch even if it weren't for all the scenes of people being torn apart.

I also like how half of the last remnants of humanity are useless angry assholes, because why should the endtimes be any different than the rest of history?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Liberal Idiot posted:

Rhodes is way scarier than any of the zombies in that movie. It kinda sinks in with the audience and the civilian characters at the same time, just how dangerous the situation really is.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darko posted:

I'm thinking that, intent or not, Piranha 3D is so over the top that it's basically making fun of it. Also, the main misogynist's dick being eaten off is so pointed to be ridiculous.

That movie had some of the best CG deaths overall - they still managed to be pretty convincingly gory.

Piranha 3D is kind of a minor masterpiece imo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Darko posted:

The problem is that going "here, have naked hot women being violently killed" is not over the top enough to overcome the issues with it

Like I respect Giallo and Mondo films because they acknowledge they are creating prurient art. Pirhana 3d seemed to believe it had rendered its violent misogyny harmless, which, to me, is far more toxic and dangerous.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

How have you not seen Dark Star

I was making a joke about how you spelled it with 2 Rs dude, I still have my parents’ Dark Star vhs, probably first saw it when i was 6 or 7

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd love to see Dark Star become Carpenter's first entry in the Criterion collection. I think it would really be a perfect selection for them, an underseen and underappreciated early film by a big name director.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Untrustable posted:

gently caress. I loved the first episode and paranormal stuff.
Like no one will find poo poo but the hunt is the best part.