Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chris Knight posted:

I need some more figgies in my life imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stringent posted:

hire the first one that knows how to use source control and understands why they should never, ever force push

good luck with that. you'll be lucky if they've used svn in class

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

blugh back to interview prep today.

There's a chance that the first company I interviewed with will reach out with an offer (or a rejection) today... the former would REALLY take the pressure off my remaining two interviews since they're by far my first choice at this point, making the last 2 interviews mostly academic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Penisface posted:

we use force push for squashing commits in the pr or branch before merge because some of the history has already been pushed to the remote

maybe the policy should be that the merger of the pr does the squash? not sure here

squashing is so dumb

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I use force push usually only when some idiot pushes some large binaries into the repo and you need to remove all traces of them from the history

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

squashing is so dumb

I mean I'll squash my own branch before I make a PR out of it but i don't really get why you'd want to do so afterward

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

squashing is so dumb

HG supremacy on this topic

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

nbsd wouldn't be proud of how hard i managed to negotiate myself out of some figgies, but

:yotj: 100k, may 13, movin' to boulder, CO assuming that meets my current place's 60d requirement :yotj:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

I mean I'll squash my own branch before I make a PR out of it but i don't really get why you'd want to do so afterward
because i don't want a blame to spend any time on the whitespace edits i made based on review

everyone who doesn't understand squashing doesn't use blame. which is fine, but i'll never understand the haughtiness some folks find fit to cart along with that presumption

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

nbsd wouldn't be proud of how hard i managed to negotiate myself out of some figgies, but

:yotj: 100k, may 13, movin' to boulder, CO assuming that meets my current place's 60d requirement :yotj:

congrats. did you get relocation money

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

because i don't want a blame to spend any time on the whitespace edits i made based on review

everyone who doesn't understand squashing doesn't use blame. which is fine, but i'll never understand the haughtiness some folks find fit to cart along with that presumption

i've at least briefly used blame and found it helpful; i'm just leery about any workflow that includes a force push so I've never tried

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

congrats. did you get relocation money

$5k reimbursement. Not perfect but more than good enough since they're not asking me to break lease

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

squashmerge is great if you're smart about how you compose your PRs because 1) it's really easy to revert an entire PR if poo poo breaks, 2) it's really easy to cherry-pick PRs to other branches, and 3) the git history is quite easy to make sense of

if you need the detailed history of changes within a commit just go look at the PR in github and see all the review comments, etc. too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hell yeah man, I think a lot of yospos has been rooting for you. Go buy a steak to celebrate

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Arcsech posted:

squashmerge is great if you're smart about how you compose your PRs because 1) it's really easy to revert an entire PR if poo poo breaks, 2) it's really easy to cherry-pick PRs to other branches, and 3) the git history is quite easy to make sense of

if you need the detailed history of changes within a commit just go look at the PR in github and see all the review comments, etc. too

sounds like a skill I will have to learn, then. we mostly learned by trial by fire at oldjob, and it was mostly me spreading the learning, so i had to be conservative to not mess everyone up

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

hell yeah friend, get that $$$

also boulder is pretty okay if you're down with everyone being a hippy and/or college student

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Ciaphas posted:

sounds like a skill I will have to learn, then. we mostly learned by trial by fire at oldjob, and it was mostly me spreading the learning, so i had to be conservative to not mess everyone up

With github you can elect to squash and merge in the web UI

edit: also, congrats!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

congrats ciaphas!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

:yotj: Congrats!

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Good job on escaping leaving Las Vegas!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Arcsech posted:

hell yeah friend, get that $$$

also boulder is pretty okay if you're down with everyone being a hippy and/or college student
beats the hell out of the old environ

CPColin posted:

Good job on escaping leaving Las Vegas!
:v:

thanks y'all. i'll wait until i have a formal offer in hand--gotta call em back to assure them that start date is okay--but it looks like i've got some travel to arrange :D

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I rebase -i my commits in a PR to be self-contained pieces of work, but I leave merge commits in place. Then you can use the git log between any two arbitrary commits/versions to know what feature work has taken place. Takes a short awk script and you can get changelogs for free as long as the merge commits were descriptive and well-labeled. Most tools (github, tfs, gitlab, etc.) even annotate the merge commit with the PR title or work items so that gets done automatically.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
boulder is great, you're right up against the mountains, it's beautiful, enjoy

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

thanks y'all. i'll wait until i have a formal offer in hand--gotta call em back to assure them that start date is okay--but it looks like i've got some travel to arrange :D

Congrats! I live in Denver and used to work in Boulder. PM me if you have any questions about the area or want to grab a brew.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

i've at least briefly used blame and found it helpful; i'm just leery about any workflow that includes a force push so I've never tried

I think a lot of people objected to never force push. Not never implement a workflow that includes a force push. At least that’s my take on it. Sometimes you need to force push. Knowing when is key.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
The trick is, of course, to always use git push --force-with-lease when force pushing.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

getting a 100% remote offer i hope it is competitive

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ciaphas posted:

:woop:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Congrats! Seeing your story through this thread is awesome.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
congrats ciaphas. boulder/colorado is awesome if you're the least bit interested in spending time outdoors

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pie Colony posted:

congrats ciaphas. boulder/colorado is awesome if you're the least bit interested in spending time outdoors

also drinking visitors under the table the night they arrive

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gently caress yeah ciaphas

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Where's a place I can dump my dumb resume? Here? I have hardly any experience, but would like to be reassured that's the reason I don't get emails back from places I apply to, instead of the aforementioned resume.

Bloody posted:

getting a 100% remote offer i hope it is competitive

So about letting your current place of business of your resignation, was the previous time a one time thing or...

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

just anonymize it to the extent that you want and post a link dawg

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

if you mean where to upload it, make a png and attach to post or google drive i guess?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i just anonymize then upload the PDF to a google drive for an easy public link, yeah

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I wasn't sure if there was a thread to put it in mainly, but here's what I have: https://i.imgur.com/mgMFCJn.png

I'm not really sure what kind of computer touching I want to do so I just kind of apply to whatever sounds interesting. Also

Captain Foo posted:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

MononcQc posted:

I rebase -i my commits in a PR to be self-contained pieces of work, but I leave merge commits in place. Then you can use the git log between any two arbitrary commits/versions to know what feature work has taken place. Takes a short awk script and you can get changelogs for free as long as the merge commits were descriptive and well-labeled. Most tools (github, tfs, gitlab, etc.) even annotate the merge commit with the PR title or work items so that gets done automatically.

yup, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mekkanare posted:

I wasn't sure if there was a thread to put it in mainly, but here's what I have: https://i.imgur.com/mgMFCJn.png

I'm not really sure what kind of computer touching I want to do so I just kind of apply to whatever sounds interesting. Also

A summary paragraph wouldn’t be out of line, for sure add that

Out of curiosity, did you finish your bs in 2.5 years or transfer from a CC that isn’t listed? some people might see the short time and assume that you didn’t actually get the degree. Anyway, nobody needs to know when you started school - just the date you graduated. good for you for not putting your GPA on there, a lot of people do that and it’s best avoided for someone that’s ever had a job

I’m ambivalent about the CTF section. neither of those are actual CTFs, right? they’re just sets of challenges you go through on your own? consider changing the CTFs section to an “oss projects” section and then linking repos with your solutions there. make sure that the actual CTFs don’t ask you not to do this, but both of those are old enough that I think you’d be fine. if you like this kind of stuff, cryptopals is also super fun

the oss projects thing mentioned above is a decent idea even if you keep the ctf thing how it is. if you don’t have any personal projects or OSS commits, then never mind of course

all that said, it’s a nice resume. you didn’t gently caress anything up as far as I can tell