Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I got derailed by Hellier because the first episode featured a guy I went to highschool with as an expert. That never fails to destroy what little suspension of disbelief I can muster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see Dark Star become Carpenter's first entry in the Criterion collection. I think it would really be a perfect selection for them, an underseen and underappreciated early film by a big name director.

The trouble is I really don't know how much restoration of that title is possible, from what I understand the source elements are not in great shape at this point.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The trouble is I really don't know how much restoration of that title is possible, from what I understand the source elements are not in great shape at this point.

What Criterion should do to easily alleviate this is to release his movies in pairs on one blu-ray. So like a lesser big one like Dark Star+a more known one, etc. So you can have an insano level restoration+interviews+etc. stuff going as much as possible but the absence of such won't be missed as much for Dark Star or, uh Ghosts of Mars.

So the fun part for the thread, how would you pair the movies? You can use any thematic/plot/popularity/time period/gently caress you you want The Thing you get Village of the Damned too/whatever criterion ( :haw: ) you want. The only objective is that it's done in a hypothetical world where his entire oeuvre will get released Critierion at some time or another, but you get to determine how.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 11, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:siren: :siren: :siren: Bubba Ho-Tep has been added to Amazon Prime :siren: :siren: :siren:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That movie was mad disappointing to me. But last time I saw it was probably when it came out so I dunno.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

So the fun part for the thread, how would you pair the movies? You can use any thematic/plot/popularity/time period/gently caress you you want The Thing you get Village of the Damned too/whatever criterion ( :haw: ) you want. The only objective is that it's done in a hypothetical world where his entire oeuvre will get released Critierion at some time or another, but you get to determine how.

My pick would be Darkstar/Starman. Both deserve the treatment and Starman absolutely needs to be rediscovered and reevaluated as an all time great sci-fi film.

I'd also love to see them release like a Carpenter b-action movie double feature with Big Trouble in Little China/Escape from NY.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Prince Of Darkness/Mouth Of Madness.

Both films are about an oncoming, unstoppable apocalypse of reality, but examined in about as tonally different ways as possible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fart City posted:

Both films are about an oncoming, unstoppable apocalypse of reality, but examined in about as tonally different ways as possible.

yeah thats my pick as well

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

That movie was mad disappointing to me. But last time I saw it was probably when it came out so I dunno.

I saw it when it came out as part of a double feature with Phantasm. Bruce Campbell introduced it and took some questions and it was awesome.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

My pick would be Darkstar/Starman. Both deserve the treatment and Starman absolutely needs to be rediscovered and reevaluated as an all time great sci-fi film.

I'd also love to see them release like a Carpenter b-action movie double feature with Big Trouble in Little China/Escape from NY.

I was going to say Starman+Christine myself, his two romance movies. :D

Fart City posted:

Hell yeah. I also wouldn't mind seeing Dark Star paired with The Thing or even with Prince of Darkness. All three are about some supposed pros in their respective fields getting in over their heads. Dark Star's threat isn't supernatural, but it may as well be due to them being in the middle of nowhere and how it ends.

Escape from New York + Big Trouble In Little China, from Criterion, would be a GOAT level release.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I'd love to see Dark Star become Carpenter's first entry in the Criterion collection. I think it would really be a perfect selection for them, an underseen and underappreciated early film by a big name director.

A better way to do this might be to bundle it with one of his bigger name films, kind of like how they snuck Crimes of the Future in for everybody who bought Cronenberg's The Brood.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

lmao I just remembered that C.H.U.D. has a criterion release

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Drunkboxer posted:

I also like how half of the last remnants of humanity are useless angry assholes, because why should the endtimes be any different than the rest of history?

I'd say it's way more than half. It's clear that Romero's sympathies are with John and McDermott, but I've never felt that their outlook was any more sane than Rhodes' or Logan's. Everyone in that movie is clutching at straws and nobody has a good answer for anything.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

lmao I just remembered that C.H.U.D. has a criterion release

I mean, it’s a good, interesting satire.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, it’s a good, interesting satire.

No doubt. I love the movie. I love that it got a big fancy prestige release even more.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Fart City posted:

No doubt. I love the movie. I love that it got a big fancy prestige release even more.

I remembered loving the commentary track because it has the writer and all he does is complain how they changed his brilliant script and every change he brings up is better than what he wrote

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love my super criterion-esq Killer Klowns Blu from Arrow. It’s so nice for such a silly movie

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I remembered loving the commentary track because it has the writer and all he does is complain how they changed his brilliant script and every change he brings up is better than what he wrote

I just looked up the credited screenwriter, Parnell Hall, and his IMDb trivia states that he is a “semi-pro folk singer/writer.”

A. What does that mean

2. His only writing credit is C.H.U.D.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

I just looked up the credited screenwriter, Parnell Hall, and his IMDb trivia states that he is a “semi-pro folk singer/writer.”

A. What does that mean

2. His only writing credit is C.H.U.D.

it means this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGreYSm5R44

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

I love my super criterion-esq Killer Klowns Blu from Arrow. It’s so nice for such a silly movie

The MGM Midnight Movies DVD of Killer Klowns was pretty loaded from what I remember. The MGM Midnight Movies line released a lot of gems during their day.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Well.

I don’t know what I expected.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So I saw Day of the Dead for the first time and I don't think I've been as hosed up or disturbed by a horror movie kill then when the zombies rip that one guy's head off while he's screaming and his voice shoots up several octaves because they tear apart his vocal cords. Like, I'm actually upset that I had to see that. I don't think horror movies are for me, guys...

Day of the Dead's one that took time for it to grow on me. When I saw it as a teen, I didn't like it as much as I did the other Dead films, but seeing it years later, it's become one of my favorites.

Darko posted:

I'm thinking that, intent or not, Piranha 3D is so over the top that it's basically making fun of it. Also, the main misogynist's dick being eaten off is so pointed to be ridiculous.

That movie had some of the best CG deaths overall - they still managed to be pretty convincingly gory.

I laughed when the Girls Gone Wild director was still worrying over if he still had his penis after having his lower half eaten away.

Neo Rasa posted:

Hard call on this one. When I'm organizing for a mini marathon, it could be by director, original and sequels or original and remakes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the Discord still active? I really feel bad that I've not participated recently but with the forums coming closer and closer to the end I'd like to make more of an effort there.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Is the Discord still active? I really feel bad that I've not participated recently but with the forums coming closer and closer to the end I'd like to make more of an effort there.

There is a horror thread discord and a CineD Genchat discoed, which is mainly just me, FancyMike and EgbertSouse shooting the poo poo over Criterion films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

There is a horror thread discord and a CineD Genchat discoed, which is mainly just me, FancyMike and EgbertSouse shooting the poo poo over Criterion films.

I'd like to have access to as many CineD related discords as I can because life without the forums really will be a major adjustment, as sad as that may be to say.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to have access to as many CineD related discords as I can because life without the forums really will be a major adjustment, as sad as that may be to say.

CineD GenChat Discord

Spook-a-Doodles Discord

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Joined. Thanks

RIP Cliff Yablonski site

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Thing followed by They Live, so as to suggest that the one is the sequel to the other.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I would be fine with Discord as a replacement for SA forums except for the fact that really quality effortposts don't turn into organized threads and aren't preserved or easy to look up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's very true.

But Discord also has a working search feature.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neo Rasa posted:

What Criterion should do to easily alleviate this is to release his movies in pairs on one blu-ray. So like a lesser big one like Dark Star+a more known one, etc. So you can have an insano level restoration+interviews+etc. stuff going as much as possible but the absence of such won't be missed as much for Dark Star or, uh Ghosts of Mars.

Dark Star/They Live
Assault on Precinct 13/Prince of Darkness
The Fog/Ghosts of Mars
Escape From New York/Escape From LA
Christine/Starman
Someone's Watching Me/Hallowe'en
Big Trouble in Little China/Elvis
The Thing/ITMOM
Village of the Damned/Vampires

Memoirs of an Invisible Man doesn't really fit in anywhere, and that leaves The Ward hanging.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Christine should be doubled with In The Mouth of Madness, and shown in that order.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The forums will never die, inshallah.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pirhana 3d was always very upsetting to me because it seemed a movie that wanted to be seen as silly and fun despite a lot of unchecked misogyny and general misanthropy
The whole point of Piranha 3-D, the reason it exists, is to suppose that the audience has arrived with the intention of seeing some blood and some titties. Aja responds: "you're all here for blood and titties, so I will give you blood and titties. Only I will make the blood so over-the-top and horrifyingly intense that you will regret that you asked for a movie with blood and titties"

Like, the big setpiece is 'Spring Break, :toot: let's all get hosed up and party' and of course in addition to the beer bongs and wet T-shirt contests, the Piranhas arrive with a remarkably similar thesis: "let's gently caress up all these partiers"

Gianna Michaels being shredded while parasailing topless is like the perfect example. Here's legitimately the biggest adult film star in the world, with the bottom half of her body chewed to bits and innards plopping into the water below. Did you get to see some titties? Sure, some of the best titties according to some. But you also saw them attached to a mutilated, grotesque corpse. So did you get what you wanted?

Piranha 3-D is the best movie of 2010 and better version of whatever the gently caress Haeneke was trying with Funny Games.

One of the problems with a lot of people who decry misogyny in film is that there is a legitimate reason to include it, if you're criticizing it. Not just in Hayes-code level morality either. People can embody traits you find distasteful and exist in film. That's kind of the point. If everyone was completely correct in all their opinions, who would we cheer for to get eaten next in a monster movie?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 11, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It also has thread favorite Adam Scott.

And a good Cristopher Lloyd part!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I may be a sick and bad person because I love Piranha 3D and find it hilarious.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I may be a sick and bad person because I love Piranha 3D and find it hilarious.

Piranha 3-DD is a worse film by every measure, but it does have two things in it that are an upgrade over the original:

1) Katrina Bowden

2) The line "Josh cut off his penis because something came out of my vagina."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the kid who's dingus gets eaten off is one of the kids from the bus story from Trick r' Treat.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

The whole point of Piranha 3-D, the reason it exists, is to suppose that the audience has arrived with the intention of seeing some blood and some titties. Aja responds: "you're all here for blood and titties, so I will give you blood and titties. Only I will make the blood so over-the-top and horrifyingly intense that you will regret that you asked for a movie with blood and titties"

Piranha 3-D is the best movie of 2010 and better version of whatever the gently caress Haeneke was trying with Funny Games.

See the problem is that

A. I dont think that was Aja's mission in this film
B. If it was, he failed.

Like, I am no stranger to white hot takes about horror films (RIP Video Nasty thread) but I just dont buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Assault on Precinct 13 / Ghosts of Mars

Because they are both inspired by Rio Bravo and the extras should include Carpenter talking about how much he loves Howard Hawks.