Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I wouldnt be surprised if season 3 sets without "Stark Raving Dad" end up being more rare and valuable just because theres no reason for them to make very many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That's... A really reasonable price. And Walmart does free shipping too. Grabbed it in case the price goes up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Finally today, March 12, 2019, the UHD format has justified itself with the announcement that Crank will have a UHD release.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Finally today, March 12, 2019, the UHD format has justified itself with the announcement that Crank will have a UHD release.

OH poo poo!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will buy that because I need a new Blu. Mine ended up inside a drawer apparently for years so...

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Basebf555 posted:

Oh good... a movie shot on an XL2 is getting a release on a 4k format. :jerkbag:

Wake me up when 28 Days Later gets an 8k release.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I will buy the Crank films in every format they put it out on, Evil Dead Trilogy-style.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

I will buy the Crank films in every format they put it out on, Evil Dead Trilogy-style.

:hmmyes:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I'm sure this has come up previously in this thread, but what kind of shelves do you guys use for your collection? I have generic media shelves from Target that are fine but I'm running out of room, and I have to move everything off of them soon anyway so it's a good time to upgrade to something better/nicer.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm sure this has come up previously in this thread, but what kind of shelves do you guys use for your collection? I have generic media shelves from Target that are fine but I'm running out of room, and I have to move everything off of them soon anyway so it's a good time to upgrade to something better/nicer.

I just built my own, drilled right into the walls. Before that, it was the Billy bookcase from IKEA. It’s boring, but it’s pretty much the perfect size and the shelves are adjustable to fit movies, books, whatever.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I grabbed the build it yourself shelves from Ikea because I only needed a few items to be up near the TV (the rest is in the spare room), but those are a pain to put up and not as quick as the Billy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

Target used to sell some really good generic bookshelves for 20-40 bucks that are nice and tall, those are what I've been using, but I don't know if they still sell them or not.

e: looks like they raised the price to 60 bucks on their website, blah.

https://www.target.com/p/5-shelf-bookcase-made-by-design-153/-/A-53185872?preselect=53155616#lnk=sametab

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Speaking of trilogies, I'm still disappointed that we never got Crank 3D.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of trilogies, I'm still disappointed that we never got Crank 3D.

It’s never too late. I mean the 3D fad is basically over, but it’s not like Neveldine and Taylor are doing anything right now and Statham is on a career upswing thanks to Fast & Furious and Meg. Now’s the perfect time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

It’s never too late. I mean the 3D fad is basically over, but it’s not like Neveldine and Taylor are doing anything right now and Statham is on a career upswing thanks to Fast & Furious and Meg. Now’s the perfect time.

You're assuming that they would both get this funded and that enough people care enough about Crank ten years after the last one came out for it to make any money.

Crank 3D was too beautiful for this world.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Crank gives no fucks for audience anticipation or lack thereof - Crank 3D will grace us with its presence when Crank 3D wants to.

This I truly believe.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I want to believe that the reason there hasn't been a third Crank movie yet is because Glenn Howerton is too busy to sign on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Liar Lyre posted:

I just built my own, drilled right into the walls. Before that, it was the Billy bookcase from IKEA. It’s boring, but it’s pretty much the perfect size and the shelves are adjustable to fit movies, books, whatever.

This, but a whole shitload (9) of Gnedby shelves. I don't recommend that as it's expensive to get enough to put them across the wall/in the corner/etc. I started out with maybe 4 and then got enough so they went around the corner.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Liberal Idiot posted:

I want to believe that the reason there hasn't been a third Crank movie yet is because Glenn Howerton is too busy to sign on.

I hope when Always Sunny decides to close down, Dennis is inadvertently killed by Chev Chelios.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Flicker Alley just put up the pre-orders for Paul Leni's The Man Who Laughs and The Last Warning. Both are region free dual format editions from new 4K restorations by Universal.
https://www.flickeralley.com

The Man Who Laughs is one of the all-time best silent films. It's been OOP for years, but Universal's new restoration is of the proper American version instead of the foreign export cut used for the Kino DVD years ago. While Flicker Alley tends to be a little more pricey, they always do a fantastic job - even as far to get Fidelity in Motion to encode/author their discs (same guys responsible for Indicator/Arrow/MoC releases).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Liar Lyre posted:

If it ever happens they should say gently caress it and do the old school red/blue 3D glasses.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Egbert Souse posted:

Flicker Alley just put up the pre-orders for Paul Leni's The Man Who Laughs and The Last Warning. Both are region free dual format editions from new 4K restorations by Universal.
https://www.flickeralley.com

The Man Who Laughs is one of the all-time best silent films. It's been OOP for years, but Universal's new restoration is of the proper American version instead of the foreign export cut used for the Kino DVD years ago. While Flicker Alley tends to be a little more pricey, they always do a fantastic job - even as far to get Fidelity in Motion to encode/author their discs (same guys responsible for Indicator/Arrow/MoC releases).

Always down for more Conrad Veidt, so I might use this as an excuse to grab the Melies collection too.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I, Butthole posted:

Always down for more Conrad Veidt, so I might use this as an excuse to grab the Melies collection too.

Flicker Alley has become one of the rare labels I'll go ahead and pre-order nearly anything they put out. I also ordered The Ancient Law and The Late Mathais Pascal along with it. Still need to get the noirs, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Fanchon the Cricket, and Sherlock Holmes.

The Melies Fairy Tales in Color set is a lot of fun. Lobster Films scanned all the hand-colored films in 4K and most of the films have both a score and a narrated version.

Other essentials:

3-D Rarities - 2 1/2 hours of rare 3-D short films ranging from the early 20s through the mid-50s. Lots of animation like four NFB Canada shorts (with the original 4.0 audio), a few stop-motion ones, and a Casper cartoon.

Masterworks of American Avant-Garde - Amazing set of experimental films from the 1920s through the 70s. Highlights are Francis Thompson's N.Y., N.Y., Maya Deren's Meshes of the Afternoon, The Life and Death of a Hollywood Extra,

Early Women Filmmakers - Great set of mostly silents, but some sound films. Worth getting just for stuff like Lois Weber's The Blot and Claire Parker/Alexander Alexioff's Night on Bald Mountain, among others. (And there's only two short films overlapping with Kino's box set)

Behind the Door - Absolutely nuts 1919 silent feature. I'm surprised it wasn't remade as a giallo.

Only releases I'd warn about would be the Chaplin Mutuals and Man with a Movie Camera since the UK editions have much better authoring. They basically used the French disc image for the Vertov films, which crams 5 1/2 hours of films onto a single BD-50 with poor compression. The MoC set spreads the same content to two BD-50s with extra visual essays and interviews.

Likewise, the BFI Chaplin Mutuals is vastly better. Encoding is much better, plus BFI adds an entire extra set of orchestral music scores by Carl Davis and commentaries on each film. The Keystone and Essanay sets are pretty much identical, though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The VHS collectors market is still the most curious thing. I joined this group just to kinda watch rare and interesting stuff go by, but I definitely stayed for the drama and bizarre requests.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EL BROMANCE posted:

The VHS collectors market is still the most curious thing. I joined this group just to kinda watch rare and interesting stuff go by, but I definitely stayed for the drama and bizarre requests.

I could see like a charter bus outfit still finding them useful

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I love Weekend at Bernie's 2. It's made entirely of cocaine, bad decisions and legit island jams.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh this is not the VHS collector's market. The VHS collector's market is a bunch of weirdos who all know each other and who are all very hostile towards one another fighting over a dwindling supply of a bunch of really terrible horror movies that sell for triple digits and my friend who pays thousands of dollars for some guy in Lebanon to mail him a bunch of old Egyptian movies with no subtitles. Gathering up some thrift store crap you can get for a buck is just some people going "90s KID!".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheScott2K posted:

I could see like a charter bus outfit still finding them useful

Probably just easier to stick things on a pen drive and use a $20 Chinese media player to be honest.

CPL593H posted:

Oh this is not the VHS collector's market. The VHS collector's market is a bunch of weirdos who all know each other and who are all very hostile towards one another fighting over a dwindling supply of a bunch of really terrible horror movies that sell for triple digits and my friend who pays thousands of dollars for some guy in Lebanon to mail him a bunch of old Egyptian movies with no subtitles. Gathering up some thrift store crap you can get for a buck is just some people going "90s KID!".

Oh yeah, I've been in that group for years... this one was just funny for different reasons to the usual "THIS rear end in a top hat SCAMMED ME AND WE MUST ALL MURDER HIM" stuff from most days.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

CPL593H posted:

This is the VHS collectors market

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tskaz01r4xY

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This is incredibly accurate. People are basically forking over hundreds of dollars for absolute garbage they'll probably never even watch because the boxes looked cool. It's like there's a reason why lots of this stuff never made it to DVD let alone blu-ray.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I dig the people who have really odd poo poo that shouldn't ever have been released commercially (and a lot of it hasn't been since, or ever was and was just private tapes). They're still loons, but they're loons with interesting things rather than 173 copies of Jerry Maguire.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I dig the people who have really odd poo poo that shouldn't ever have been released commercially (and a lot of it hasn't been since, or ever was and was just private tapes). They're still loons, but they're loons with interesting things rather than 173 copies of Jerry Maguire.

I agree. Some of it is definitely interesting but when people are paying upwards of 100-200 bucks for a movie they know and acknowledge is unwatchable I find that to be a little loving nuts.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don’t dismiss what can be done with 22,978 copies of Jerry Maguire, friend.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean people in my life think it's pretty bizarre that I own like 200+ movies, but the main criteria is that I really only buy movies that I know I will want to watch and then probably rewatch in future months/years. I don't have anything on my shelf that's just for show and never gets watched, everything I have has at the very least provided me with a few hours of entertainment.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Exactly. 173 copies of JM is worthless. 22,978 copies is magnificent.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh, there are plenty of things that should not be that have been released to Blu-Ray

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Release everything. Make all culture available to everyone.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Amazed nobody ever did this with Madden copies.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

To be fair, RLM were probably sent 99% of those tapes by fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They were yes