Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
You all just need to realize that Lamarr is just the human version of Dann. Rewatch episodes through that filter and it makes a ton of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Lamarr is just depressed because they moved him to engineering, and he's not allowed to drink soda there.

Don't see why, they're allowed to eat cupcakes in there.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lamarr comes off as stilted and weird to me, but having been in this position before I can totally imagine that it's just that I haven't met anyone in real life who talks that way. That seems reasonable, and if other people are saying he comes off like a real person, I've got to believe it because he seems so stilted and weird to me that I can't imagine anyone just not noticing. It's gotta be legit.

I still really don't like his insecure too-cool character that gives manipulative relationship advice. His actions on the social media planet were so mind-bogglingly unsympathetic that it would take a while under the best circumstances for me to come back around to him, but he doesn't seem to even be taking any steps in the right direction.

This in contrast to Malloy, who early on came off as just an rear end in a top hat to me, but over time the show kind of stopped celebrating his sick burns and started making him look like a lovable idiot who usually just doesn't get things in amusing ways.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 11, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

The Bloop posted:

Maybe Lamar is the bored augment Bashir of the Orville

If there's actually a behind the scenes reason for why Lamar acts the way he does that'd be hilarious.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MizPiz posted:

Don't see why, they're allowed to eat cupcakes in there.

He's the chief engineer, he makes the rules

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It feels like they intended the show to be more joke heavy with him as comic relief then realize they had a good space opera and turned the jokes down. His character just needs a new purpose. He's fine as a background character but, he seems like he should be a major character but also feels undeveloped. It's also fine if he stays a minor character that gets a bit more focus than they should because they are friends with major characters.

Yes he does have an important job, but it's not on the bridge or anywhere the audience is most of the time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

swickles posted:

You all just need to realize that Lamarr is just the human version of Dann. Rewatch episodes through that filter and it makes a ton of sense.

What? Dann is upbeat and fun.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Dann spotted

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like Dann :)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The only thing that makes Dann better than Neelix is that he's not covered in gross hair.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I don't like Dann, as in, if I were a character on the show, I would not like him.

But I like Dann, as a viewer watching the show.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Dann lost a lot of the "he's just awkward" benefit of the doubt when he was so self protectively manipulative when Alara actually gave him a chance. It was still funny but it went from "this guy can't read a room" to "this guy will actively make other people feel like poo poo to protect himself from feeling bad feelings, he is a huge rear end in a top hat."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I empathize with him because I also like food and music. He really gets that

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Eiba posted:

Dann lost a lot of the "he's just awkward" benefit of the doubt when he was so self protectively manipulative when Alara actually gave him a chance. It was still funny but it went from "this guy can't read a room" to "this guy will actively make other people feel like poo poo to protect himself from feeling bad feelings, he is a huge rear end in a top hat."

Wait what? Do I need to rewatch that episode?

I kind of feel for Dann tbh, I've definitely been that awkward outsider who tried too hard to get in on the social gathering.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I don't like Dann, as in, if I were a character on the show, I would not like him.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Apparently. He was going down the red flag checklist.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

Apparently. He was going down the red flag checklist.

I just kind of barely remember the date they went on, TBH. I've been meaning to give S1 a rewatch anyway.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I kind of feel for Dann tbh, I've definitely been that awkward outsider who tried too hard to get in on the social gathering.
"Give me constructive criticism, don't hold back." "Well, maybe this part could use work." "Rip my heart out and stomp on it why don't you." (Delivered with real anger.)

It's a solid gag, but it's not depicting a kind-of-awkward person, it's depicting an actual abusive relationship pattern that makes him kind of a loathsome person. By making Alara feel bad for engaging with him in anything but a fawning capacity he's emotionally cornering her. And in the episode she couldn't deal with it. He succeeded in bullying her into silence.

And that was just one clear instance, but everything he did that episode was put his feelings first and disregard her feelings entirely. He wasn't just obliviously doing his own thing like he usually does, he was saying things that specifically put Alara in an awkward spot and made her feel as if she was obligated to make him feel good.

It was actually a really good depiction of a toxic relationship, but it was really unpleasant for me to watch and kind of soured me on his whole shtick as it was a lot less innocent when focused on one person like that.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Lol, is this actually true? Because that would uh, explain it all really.

Tis true. Seth discovered him and helped launch his career, getting him bit parts as a voice actor on family guy and a full role on the Cleveland show. The Orville is the most he's ever physically acted.

He actually is a very smart guy (I forget what his degree is in but he's a classically trained pianist), yet he was working as a receptionist at the family guy offices. His character and real life aren't far removed.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Appreciation of Dann probably reflects your tolerance of fremdschämen. I have none.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Donovan Trip posted:

His character and real life aren't far removed.

This is likely why he comes off as a normal guy, he's not playing a character, he's just being himself. Which is fine.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Brawnfire posted:

He comes off to me as half-baked and being like "haha whoa" when something happens

You could be describing the "engineer" guy on Galaxy Quest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I do enjoy the little "asides" with the non-starring crew members, like Dann discussing a "casual" day, or the one who brought cupcakes to work. Helps make the ship feel like a real place with real people, instead of the sterile environments of Star Trek.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Eiba posted:

"Give me constructive criticism, don't hold back." "Well, maybe this part could use work." "Rip my heart out and stomp on it why don't you." (Delivered with real anger.)

It's a solid gag, but it's not depicting a kind-of-awkward person, it's depicting an actual abusive relationship pattern that makes him kind of a loathsome person. By making Alara feel bad for engaging with him in anything but a fawning capacity he's emotionally cornering her. And in the episode she couldn't deal with it. He succeeded in bullying her into silence.

And that was just one clear instance, but everything he did that episode was put his feelings first and disregard her feelings entirely. He wasn't just obliviously doing his own thing like he usually does, he was saying things that specifically put Alara in an awkward spot and made her feel as if she was obligated to make him feel good.

It was actually a really good depiction of a toxic relationship, but it was really unpleasant for me to watch and kind of soured me on his whole shtick as it was a lot less innocent when focused on one person like that.

I'm sorry it was awkward for you, but it was supposed to be awkward. It was mocking the lovely rear end in a top hat that Dann was being, all clingy and defensive and passive aggressive.
It was very The Office style awkwardness, which I enjoy in small chunks so it was funny here.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I really liked when the standoffish hetero-Moclan finished the shields test and then said "I'll have that cupcake now"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nullsmack posted:

You could be describing the "engineer" guy on Galaxy Quest.

Was that Tony Shaloub? Love that guy

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

fremdschämen.

that is an amazingly apt word and I am absorbing it into my own vocabulary.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Brawnfire posted:

Was that Tony Shaloub? Love that guy

Yeah, Tony was awesome in that (and in everything really)

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Peachfart posted:

I'm sorry it was awkward for you, but it was supposed to be awkward. It was mocking the lovely rear end in a top hat that Dann was being, all clingy and defensive and passive aggressive.
It was very The Office style awkwardness, which I enjoy in small chunks so it was funny here.
I wouldn't say it was awkward to watch. Or at least that wasn't the issue- I feel it was obviously supposed to be awkward.

I understand that Dann is not being endorsed here in the slightest, and that's good. The joke was how incredibly lovely could one person be, and I got that. It was a really good/real depiction of how lovely someone can be. Not the most appealing thing to watch personally, but that's just my taste. I'm not really aiming to criticize that aspect.

I'm criticizing Dann.

I've got awkward friends. I'm pretty awkward at times. Dann's dumb elevator small talk was endearingly oblivious. But Dann's actions in that episode were actively selfish, devoid of empathy, and cruel. That's not a bad thing for the show to portray, but it does mean that Dann loses his sympathetic innocence. And that's the only point I was trying to make.

90% of Dann is endearing obliviousness, but I enjoy his character a lot less knowing that deep down he's also a scumbag.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

I've got awkward friends. I'm pretty awkward at times.

No, I can say these things about awkwards because some of my best friends are awkwards! Some people even tell me I am awkward sometimes!

OK... sorry, I couldn't resist. That has nothing to do with the point you're trying to make; you just reminded me of the ol' "some of my best friends are ____" routine.

But actually, to your point: Dann is awkward, yes. The way I see it, his awfulness (the passive-aggressive crap, the asking for criticism and then angrily rebuffing it, and so on) is a symptom of his awkwardness.

People who are really awkward, and I'm talking about the level of awkwardness where it is clearly impacting their social interactions, are often genuinely unaware of how they come off to other people. Oh, they may know or at least suspect that there is something off about how they act, or that most people misinterpret what they do and/or say in exactly the same wrong way, but they really don't recognize exactly what it is that they're doing wrong. Adding to the fun, they often really don't understand how their words and actions are taken by your average reasonable person, so unless the person they're (horribly) interacting with decides to flat-out say how awful they're coming off as, they keep acting that way because they don't have enough intuition to know that they need to stop.

Dann's awkwardness is sometimes cheeky and fun. But when he was on that date, it was cruel and tragic. Making it not really awkwardness at all. Evil awkwardness?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dann's cruelty on that date I don't see as being actual events in universe, but kind of a comedic abstraction of how bad the date went. Like Talla snapping on the glove this episode, I find it unlikely they cavity searched the Krill ambassadors with no consequences, it's a little absurdity thrown in the mix.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

NoDamage posted:

Let's be honest though aside from Kasidy Yates and Sergeant Malarkey there aren't really any good actors on this show.

I was gonna post that I actually think Dr Finn, medicine-woman is also a pretty bad actor. But not consistently, at least. I think of all the crew she takes me out of the episode the most when she appears. I dunno a good way to describe it but I guess it's just this feeling of being TOO earnest, just comes of really fakey and hammy.

Bortus is cool and good

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Agreed on Dr. Finn. Sometimes it sounds like she's stringing sentences together like she's hearing them for the first time in an earpiece and repeating them as they come in. Grayson's "My God…" lines sound like that too. Maybe they're on a really tight shooting schedule and don't have time to get comfortable with the lines?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Never trust Sherry Palmer, one of television’s all-time heels.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Dann's cruelty on that date I don't see as being actual events in universe, but kind of a comedic abstraction of how bad the date went. Like Talla snapping on the glove this episode, I find it unlikely they cavity searched the Krill ambassadors with no consequences, it's a little absurdity thrown in the mix.

everything that happens on screen is canon unless otherwise stated what is this hereSY BURN THE WITCH-

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

it needs a laugh track

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

it needs a laugh track

nothing needs a laugh track. Laugh tracks are humour-stealing demons.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Thom12255 posted:

If there's actually a behind the scenes reason for why Lamar acts the way he does that'd be hilarious.

Maybe it's somehow related to his growing up on a farming colony with a strongly anti-intellectual culture (which he brought up when he was asked about his kickass test scores).

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

double nine posted:

Maybe Dann could have a laugh track and no one else does. It's revealed 4 episodes later that thats just something that happens to his species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

double nine posted:

laugh tracks should be banned also I like Lamar’s character but J lee straight up just can’t act, he’s wooden as gently caress