Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See the problem is that

A. I dont think that was Aja's mission in this film
B. If it was, he failed.

Like, I am no stranger to white hot takes about horror films (RIP Video Nasty thread) but I just dont buy this.

Like, Cannibal Holocaust succeeds in doing what you argue Pirhana 3d tried to do, if only because most people cant actually watch the uncensored version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

See the problem is that

A. I dont think that was Aja's mission in this film
B. If it was, he failed.

Like, I am no stranger to white hot takes about horror films (RIP Video Nasty thread) but I just dont buy this.
Well, there is the director's commentary on the blu-ray, where he explicitly says that's what he was doing, conflating the viewing public's lust for carnage and the carnal, and giving us way too much of both as a sort of diabetic shock.

And I don't think he failed. :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Easy Diff posted:

Did you get to see some titties? Sure, some of the best titties according to some. But you also saw them attached to a mutilated, grotesque corpse. So did you get what you wanted?

Yes, that is exactly what the target audience wanted. I mean there are people who enjoy poo poo like Nekromantik, the gore in Piranha wouldn’t even make them blink. It’s understandable (and probably a sign that you are a well-adjusted person) if you were uncomfortable with it but there is no way that was the intention of anyone involved.

/\/\/\ if he explicitly said that was his intention, then he did a bad job at it, but it sounds more like he was trying to justify the existence of the trashy exploitation film he made. This is the same dude who made the incredibly gory and violent The Hills Have Eyes remakes

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 11, 2019

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

gey muckle mowser posted:

Yes, that is exactly what the target audience wanted. I mean there are people who enjoy poo poo like Nekromantik, the gore in Piranha wouldn’t even make them blink. It’s understandable (and probably a sign that you are a well-adjusted person) if you were uncomfortable with it but there is no way that was the intention of anyone involved.

:ohdear:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Easy Diff posted:

And I don't think he failed. :colbert:

The movie was a mainstream success and got a sequel

That's as spectacular a failure you could ask for

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This doesn't make sense.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

source: I am not a well adjusted person

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

This doesn't make sense.

If the point of the movie is to make them regret what they asked for, it being successful shows it failed to make them regretful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, there is a reason Funny Games shows at art house theatres and not cineplexes

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
You mean you haven’t seen Funny Games 2: The Rematch?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If the point of the movie is to make them regret what they asked for, it being successful shows it failed to make them regretful

Well, they'd still have to see it in order to learn their lesson, no?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You mean you haven’t seen Funny Games 2: The Rematch?

I would also accept

Funny Games, Too
Funny Games: Back 2 the House

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

/\/\/\ if he explicitly said that was his intention, then he did a bad job at it, but it sounds more like he was trying to justify the existence of the trashy exploitation film he made. This is the same dude who made the incredibly gory and violent The Hills Have Eyes remakes

God, that first The Hills Have Eyes Remake was so loving good.

The second one exists solely for the story about the theater in Long Island accidentally showing Hills Have Eyes 2 to a bunch of children instead of The Last Mimzy.

http://filmjunk.com/2007/04/09/the-hills-have-eyes-2-accidentally-shown-to-family-audience-in-long-island/

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ruddiger posted:

God, that first The Hills Have Eyes Remake was so loving good.

The second one exists solely for the story about the theater in Long Island accidentally showing Hills Have Eyes 2 to a bunch of children instead of The Last Mimzy.

http://filmjunk.com/2007/04/09/the-hills-have-eyes-2-accidentally-shown-to-family-audience-in-long-island/

hahaha I love when stuff like that happens, last year some theater played the trailer for Hereditary before that Peter Rabbit movie

and yeah I really like the Hills Have Eyes remake. I don’t really remember the second one though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

the only thing I remember about the remake was that it was the first mainstream horror film I could remember in ages in which successful rape was depicted

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I find that analysis of Piranha 3D pretty spot on. I also like it for similar reasons as Showgirls: it’s a genuine exploitation film but with a glossy modern sheen and a well above average budget and that isn’t something you get too often. In terms of tone, it’s not far off from the original Piranha, which is also a fun, hyper gory splatter film that’s smarter than it looks on the surface.

Also half-eaten Jerry O’Connell as the Girls Gone Wild guy gurgling out ”Wet...tee...shirts...” as his last words is just a hilarious gag.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mel Mudkiper posted:

And the sequel turbo-bombed, indicating that the trick worked, because nobody came back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stryder posted:

Assault on Precinct 13 / Ghosts of Mars

Because they are both inspired by Rio Bravo and the extras should include Carpenter talking about how much he loves Howard Hawks.

Prince of Darkness is also inspired by Rio Bravo. Carpenter does indeed love that movie.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

And the sequel turbo-bombed, indicating that the trick worked, because nobody came back.

The sequel was only released on Redbox. Nowhere else. How could it not have bombed?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

its ironic prince of darkness was inspired by Rio Bravo because Rio Bravo is one of the few films I consider to be truly morally reprehensible

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I would also accept

Funny Games, Too
Funny Games: Back 2 the House
Funnier Games

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gently caress

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

This is the same dude who made the incredibly gory and violent The Hills Have Eyes remakes

Having watched the original The Hills Have Eyes recently, I'd say that Aja actually made a better movie. How's that for a hot take? :colbert:

Okay it was pretty lukewarm, the original isn't very good

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The main character of Craven's The Hills Have Eyes is a dog, therefore it is superior.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Having watched the original The Hills Have Eyes recently, I'd say that Aja actually made a better movie. How's that for a hot take? :colbert:

This take was actually doing the rounds quite a bit when that movie came out. I don’t agree, I think The Hills Have Eyes is Craven’s first real masterpiece, but the remake is very solid.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

its ironic prince of darkness was inspired by Rio Bravo because Rio Bravo is one of the few films I consider to be truly morally reprehensible

Whoa, huge diss on Dean Martin outta nowhere.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Samuel Clemens posted:

Whoa, huge diss on Dean Martin outta nowhere.

More my explicit and unflinching hatred of John wayne

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This take was actually doing the rounds quite a bit when that movie came out. I don’t agree, I think The Hills Have Eyes is Craven’s first real masterpiece, but the remake is very solid.

I rewatched the remake after the original was on Joe Bob's Dinners of Death and I think I put them on par now. Michael Berryman is pretty hard to beat, but I think the stuff with the family is done better by Aja.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

I rewatched the remake after the original was on Joe Bob's Dinners of Death and I think I put them on par now. Michael Berryman is pretty hard to beat, but I think the stuff with the family is done better by Aja.

If you mean the “good” family maybe, but one of my big complaints about the remake is how one dimensional it makes the cannibal family compared to the original, where they all have defined personalities beyond just “likes to kill and eat people”. But yeah the red state vs blue state dynamic between Ted Levine and his son in law in the remake is pretty fun (that stuff was already there to an extent in the original but the remake did a good job putting a modern twist on it)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Aja killed it with the casting too. Buffalo Bill as the dad and Kathleen Quinlan as the mom, Claire from Lost and the girl from Hocus Pocus as the sisters, and Pyro from X2 were all really memorable, along with Billy Drago and Robert Joy as the cannibals.

Man, I kinda forget how unsung Robert Joy is. He makes for a great unrepentant villain in Hills, and is low key they best part about Land of the Dead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you mean the “good” family maybe, but one of my big complaints about the remake is how one dimensional it makes the cannibal family compared to the original, where they all have defined personalities beyond just “likes to kill and eat people”. But yeah the red state vs blue state dynamic between Ted Levine and his son in law in the remake is pretty fun (that stuff was already there to an extent in the original but the remake did a good job putting a modern twist on it)

Yeah, that's what I mean, the tourist family. They amped up that clashing dynamic and Levine and Aaron Stanford are perfect for those parts.

I prefer the hill people family from the original.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ruddiger posted:

Pyro from X2

I remember Aaron Stanford getting a lot of buzz in the early '00s from Tadpole, X2 and The Hills Have Eyes, but it never really paid off, huh?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

LesterGroans posted:

I remember Aaron Stanford getting a lot of buzz in the early '00s from Tadpole, X2 and The Hills Have Eyes, but it never really paid off, huh?

IIRC in the mid-00s he wanted to return to mostly acting on stage so he never became a household name but he's popped up in The Walking Dead and other stuff for a few episodes regularly since then too.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC in the mid-00s he wanted to return to mostly acting on stage so he never became a household name but he's popped up in The Walking Dead and other stuff for a few episodes regularly since then too.

Fair enough. That was kind of William Petersen's deal, right? He preferred doing theatre work and staying around his family even though he killed it in Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA. He did do some supporting parts throughout the '90s though.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LesterGroans posted:

Fair enough. That was kind of William Petersen's deal, right? He preferred doing theatre work and staying around his family even though he killed it in Manhunter and To Live and Die in LA. He did do some supporting parts throughout the '90s though.

He also got his gently caress-you money doing a little show called C.S.I.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Easy Diff posted:

He also got his gently caress-you money doing a little show called C.S.I.

Yeah, 15 years later. Even then, he bailed after 8 seasons.

William Petersen rules though. He's in that decent 12 Angry Men TV adaptation, and -- to be more related to the thread -- a crappy TV movie called The Beast that I loved as a kid. It was Peter Benchley doing another Jaws.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Basebf555 posted:

I'd like to have access to as many CineD related discords as I can because life without the forums really will be a major adjustment, as sad as that may be to say.

Did something recently change that is putting the forums in imminent danger of dying? I feel like the forums I read are pretty drat active (CineD, Games, D&D).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Megasabin posted:

Did something recently change that is putting the forums in imminent danger of dying? I feel like the forums I read are pretty drat active (CineD, Games, D&D).

Lowtax's back is still messed up and as of a couple of days ago he had -$98 to his name. :/

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, 15 years later. Even then, he bailed after 8 seasons.

William Petersen rules though. He's in that decent 12 Angry Men TV adaptation, and -- to be more related to the thread -- a crappy TV movie called The Beast that I loved as a kid. It was Peter Benchley doing another Jaws.

Oh man I remember looking forward to The Beast when it premiered for that reason! It sucked. William Peterson does rule though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

King Vidiot posted:

I'm inclined to agree, the remake is exactly a masterpiece but I didn't really care for the original when I last saw it. That was pretty long ago though and my tastes have definitely evolved since then so I should probably give it a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

I love the '78 Invasion of the Body Snatchers too

I realise I'm way behind in this thread but I love this movie and I had a dream recently about watching it...

...except that it was a re-released "special edition" (like the Star Wars Special Editions of the late 90s).
Not spoiling (it's the first 10 minutes of a 40yo movie), but remember in the first 10 minutes or so when Sutherland hits the guy with his car and he shout's "They're coming!" and is chased off by a mob?
In my dream, the mob had been digitally altered to be these mutant monster things. I woke up straight away and I was so relentlessly angry I couldn't get back to sleep!

I know it doesn't exist. I know it will never exist. Except now, I've SEEN IT and now can't UN-SEE it!!