Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HookShot posted:

I like to loudly shame people for doing this.

lol, maybe you'd like to be a cop instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

lol, maybe you'd like to be a cop instead

Or maybe people could not be loving dicks and block the singles line to go up with their friends?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

HookShot posted:

I like to loudly shame people for doing this.

Oh. I sure did.

e: Looks like the east side of Stanley went.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 9, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I used to, and then I watched my friend drunkenly accost like 30 of those people in the gondola line causing a huge scene and now I just keep it to myself.

Just heard another report of an epic pass holder telling the liftie his ski day should be half price because he had to take his pass out of his pocket lol. Half price of your free ski days at Telluride, clown?

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 9, 2019

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Finally got to try out my S-Lab X-Alp boots in the 4 Vallées yesterday. Maybe I am just super unfit after not being able to train through winter but it was loving hard work uphill. Much better than the skimo race boots on the downhill so yeah.

Spending the weekend looking at maybe getting a little place up in the mountains, Crans-Montana today. Come visit

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yesterday was the best ski day I've had in about 4 years. So ridiculously good.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Did another skate race yesterday, only 25k this time. Training fell off big time in the last month though, and I was not fast. Felt reasonably good for coming straight off the couch though!

Talked to my friend who had the frozen corneas in January - sounds like recovery is actually pretty drawn out. The cornea freezes then “cracks like a dinner plate” and it was a few days before he could read again, and they still bother him but should recover fully. So don’t freeze your eyes!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

Yesterday was the best ski day I've had in about 4 years. So ridiculously good.

Agreed. Highlands was the tits, where did you ski?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Meadows was very nice yesterday. Upper heather got open after being closed for a couple days while a cold storm rolled through. I went up to the Silver Bowl gate with my girlfriend and found some very nice untracked lines between the Silver and Gold gates. My girlfriend had never had an untracked line that pristine before, so it was a real treat for both of us. PR was also quite nice. The last month has been nuts. It's not unusual to get a lot of precip up there, but the storms have regularly been 10-20F colder than they usually are.

I still haven't made it over to Clark Canyon / Accordion this year. The last time I tried the traverse it was pretty brutal for a snowboarder, but quite a bit of snow has accumulated since then, so I need to give it another shot. Accordion is one of my favorite spots on the mountain.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 11, 2019

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Ajax. I was in line about 5-10 minutes behind first bucket which worked out perfectly because Kristi/Walsh's were delayed slightly. I skied up right after it opened and was the second person down Kristi. I ski that run like 100 times every season and that was probably top 3 ever.

Then I got lucky again on my 3rd lap and caught Traynor's right after they dropped the rope, I skied down the ridge and dropped into the first untracked line I saw and that was another all-timer.

I'm sure Highlands was amazing. Hard for me to justify going out there these days w/kiddo @ home. Ajax is so much more time efficient since you can park a couple blocks from the gondy for free. Did they get the bowl open?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Went back on snow today. Unlike the rest of you I wanted to get up there before the storm starts rolling through tomorrow, so I pushed the RTS date a bit but it went decently well. I did about six runs of slow, easy turns, and while my rib is fairly sore now, I'm glad I went up and did it. Now for two days off before going back up Wednesday morning.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

HookShot posted:

Or maybe people could not be loving dicks and block the singles line to go up with their friends?
what about when theres 4 scanners, and its not the singles line, but people are only using 2 scanners for some loving reason and theres not so much a line but a blob of people?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Heading out to Tahoe for the 3rd week of March. Just had to make sure I missed all the dozens of feet of snow dumped over the last month, so you're welcome to everyone who planned for a February trip. On the bright side it looks like Squaw announced a pretty decent deal on lift tickets for spring, so I've got that going for me.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Alpine Meadows has been amazing today

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Heading to Louise tomorrow, and I'll note the snow is due to start as I leave.

You're welcome

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

il serpente cosmico posted:

The last month has been nuts. It's not unusual to get a lot of precip up there, but the storm have regularly been 10-20F colder than they usually are.

I took this weekend off since I'll be up Tuesday-Saturday for our state finals. This stretch of weather has been insane. Our spring is going to be so loving fun. The weather looks like it's going to be perfect for us too, and goddamn do we deserve that. Snow for our practice day on Tuesday, then it clears up and gets sunny through the weekend midday Wednesday.

Also, if anyone is interested, I'm "hosting" another Memorial Day Weekend camp and shred. I grabbed a double site at Trillium from Friday-Monday that sleeps 12. A spring pass at Timberline is $129ish and is well worth it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So one person died and two people almost died in roof avalanches at Crested Butte.

Be careful just existing out there, CO dudes.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Eejit posted:

I heard a resident Burly Old Guy say he got a great pow day at highlands last week because nobody skis it. That can’t be right, right?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

I took this weekend off since I'll be up Tuesday-Saturday for our state finals. This stretch of weather has been insane. Our spring is going to be so loving fun. The weather looks like it's going to be perfect for us too, and goddamn do we deserve that. Snow for our practice day on Tuesday, then it clears up and gets sunny through the weekend midday Wednesday.

Saturday was definitely better than I was had been expecting all week given the forecast. It was a nice surprise.

Weds is supposed to be another powder day, according to Temira. So hopefully she's right, and hopefully you can get some turns in before you have to work.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

gently caress, I forgot how much boarding on hard pack sucks. Hit an ice patch pretty early in the day and got absolutely wrecked. Had to call it a day before I would have liked because my body couldn't take anymore :negative:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

Ajax. I was in line about 5-10 minutes behind first bucket which worked out perfectly because Kristi/Walsh's were delayed slightly. I skied up right after it opened and was the second person down Kristi. I ski that run like 100 times every season and that was probably top 3 ever.

Then I got lucky again on my 3rd lap and caught Traynor's right after they dropped the rope, I skied down the ridge and dropped into the first untracked line I saw and that was another all-timer.

I'm sure Highlands was amazing. Hard for me to justify going out there these days w/kiddo @ home. Ajax is so much more time efficient since you can park a couple blocks from the gondy for free. Did they get the bowl open?

Yeah, my bowl lap was outrageous. Middle of the conga line, but one of the first to click in and drop into White Kitchen.

The lines were actually kind of insane though. Like, not Breck level, but there were quite a few people. DT in particular after the bowl was a doozie

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Went to Lake Louise yesterday. It was a stunningly gorgeous blue bird day but icy as hell. Almost had a few spills.

Watched one poor gal throw a complete yardsale and slide further down the hill than anyone I've ever seen in person. She was ok though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Went to Lake Louise yesterday. It was a stunningly gorgeous blue bird day but icy as hell. Almost had a few spills.

Watched one poor gal throw a complete yardsale and slide further down the hill than anyone I've ever seen in person. She was ok though.

There right now it needs serious snow.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

welp, badly bruised my collarbone (xray came out negative luckily). i was practicing switch on gentle terrain when it happened. for some reason, i have a lot of trouble riding switch straight downhill.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rated PG-34 posted:

welp, badly bruised my collarbone (xray came out negative luckily). i was practicing switch on gentle terrain when it happened. for some reason, i have a lot of trouble riding switch straight downhill.

Glad to hear you are generally OK. As a guy who broke his...not entirely awesome times.

I feel like switch is this thing on flat terrain that really takes work to be relaxed and chill.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Managed to demo some skis on Saturday and I can give my not-very-good-skier impression of a few. (Did a couple on-piste runs with each).

Blizzard Brahama 82 - Fast and grippy.
Blizzard Firebird WRC - Mach schnell
Nordica Enforcer 88 - I enjoyed these the most. I haven't ridden the other Enforcers so I can't give a comparison but I loved these.
K2 Mindbender 90ti - Also a lot of fun, but I liked the Enforcers more.
K2 iKonic 84ti - Someone better than me could get more out of these, I have little doubt. Good, but I didn't enjoy them as much as some others.
Rossi Exp 88 Ti - We did not get on well. A better skier probably would enjoy them a lot more but I found I needed to grab them by the scruff of the neck and man-handle them more than expected.
Volkl Mantra M5 - I liked it a lot; wish I had sought out some choppier stuff to try it on.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

Glad you didn’t pull a sprowzek!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm the worst winter sports participator. I'm going to be in Summit County on Tuesday and Wednesday. A massive storm is rolling through Wednesday that's going to gently caress everything up everywhere and I'm considering just bailing and driving home so I don't have to deal with it taking 9 hours to drive 100 miles home.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Alternatively, just stay for two extra days

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

:hmmyes:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m in Grand Junction for an exam tomorrow and boy this sure is a place.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moot . posted:

I’m in Grand Junction for an exam tomorrow and boy this sure is a place.

GJ is a sad place. So many good places nearby but somehow it got none of the good parts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unfortunately I have poo poo to do on Thursday. I might try to leave Frisco early and head to eldora to get some laps in there. Should be easier to get home from there even if it's snowing like crazy.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rated PG-34 posted:

I'm generally really bad at switch, but I've been doing a lot better with it after a 5 year hiatus. I've also been doing worse with regular, so I'm pretty confused.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I bought a super directional board and have pretty much given up on switch altogether. I'm not ambidextrous at all, and riding switch in any situation other than a quick, straight traversal has always felt alien me. It basically feels like I've never been on a snowboard before when I try to initiate turns while riding switch, and I put my weight on the wrong foot. I just can't make my brain and body connect in the right way.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 12, 2019

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

That's really why I get twins and make myself ride switch. I know I'm bad at it from skateboarding, and I want to not be bad at it

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I can carve decently and cruise pretty quickly going switch after years of forcing myself, but as soon as I hit a bumpy area I usually just revert back cause it's still awkward as hell

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
A lovely cell phone video of how my friend likes to ski moguls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T2FJVz5qKI

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Varg posted:

I can carve decently and cruise pretty quickly going switch after years of forcing myself, but as soon as I hit a bumpy area I usually just revert back cause it's still awkward as hell

I would love to be able to lay a proper carve while riding switch, but unless I take a season and force myself to relearn, it isn't going to happen, and I don't like the idea of spending a bunch of time as a beginner again. I only get so much time at the mountain, you know?

When I first started skateboarding and snowboarding I went through a period where I thought I might have been goofy, and before I really figured out how to ride I switched back and forth a bit. One day on the mountain, something just clicked in my brain and goofy just felt completely wrong to me.

I mainly got a directional board because of the type of riding I like to do, but the fact that I never ride switch made the decision a little easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

My riding buddy is a beginner, so it was a good time to learn switch. For some reason I can transition the turns ok, but I’m off balance, with a tendency to fall toeside, while heading straight down the fall line. Maybe I’m weighting the back foot too much.