Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yes, if only you would build a lot of stadiums and put it in school curriculum and spend a lot of money to promote the sport so that clubs would get sponsorship contracts so they would open youth clubs and youth would want to play in those clubs than it stands to reason that in a few decades you'll get pretty good in football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMr5e5wlgeE

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Being good as soccer isn’t about athletics, it’s about which team has the best actors. If we put Hollywood’s elite together to form a soccer team, they would be unstoppable.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pawn 17 posted:

Being good as soccer isn’t about athletics, it’s about which team has the best actors. If we put Hollywood’s elite together to form a soccer team, they would be unstoppable.

Team shazam. Ouch my body. Ref!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Americans invented a bunch of sports barely anyone else plays because they were bad at the ones everyone else does play

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

The punter is literally just the guy with the big boot from the Australia Simpsons episode and every team just takes turns with him

I dont really follow sport, but as a child my favourite aussie rules football player (and a distant relative) was Stav Rocca. After destroying his body in his long AFL career he milked a few more years of paid professional athletics by moving to the US and playing in a lesser NFL team, with his singular remaining physical capability of being really tall and capable of kicking a ball far when standing stationary.

Before anyone tries to own me by mocking my country's insignificant niche football code please be aware that the only sport I believe anyone should take national pride in is endurance gay sex.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Moon Atari posted:

I dont really follow sport, but as a child my favourite aussie rules football player (and a distant relative) was Stav Rocca. After destroying his body in his long AFL career he milked a few more years of paid professional athletics by moving to the US and playing in a lesser NFL team, with his singular remaining physical capability of being really tall and capable of kicking a ball far when standing stationary.

Before anyone tries to own me by mocking my country's insignificant niche football code please be aware that the only sport I believe anyone should take national pride in is endurance gay sex.

You don't have to feel ashamed by AFL, not when the NRL is filled with literal dog fuckers anyway.

SleepySonata
Mar 3, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

I believe anyone should take national pride in is endurance gay sex.

That's every sub who watches rugby

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Jose posted:

Americans invented a bunch of sports barely anyone else plays because they were bad at the ones everyone else does play

barely anyone else plays them because you can't play them with nothing but a large empty field and a dream

to play american football you need 22 heavily padded millionaires wearing plastic helmets and matching capris to dance under explosions and concuss each other while rock music plays, and you broke bastards just won't admit that you can't afford it

CitizenConned
Mar 3, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Soccer is like America's 6th ranked sport moneywise (i.e they get the absolute dregs of talented athletes) and they still manage to be competative every once in awhile on a world stage. Gotta let the rest of the world feel good about something I suppose.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Do association football leagues in america have relegation or is it the same bullshit system as american football where it's fine to be last all the time?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Moon Atari posted:

endurance gay sex.

I'm straight but I feel like I have a chance at a professional career at this as a power top.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Do association football leagues in america have relegation or is it the same bullshit system as american football where it's fine to be last all the time?

You already know the answer

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Considering the bedrock of football is outspending the other team I’m frankly amazed it’s not the national sport of the US. Get those salaries into the hundreds of millions, pump up the numbers! Who can have the first trillion dollar wage bill for a bunch of dudes rolling around on the floor?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

bitterandtwisted posted:

American football leagues are literally communist

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The only reason Americans think they don’t like soccer is the low scores. Introduce Gaelic football scoring rules imo

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Pit the Tampa Bay Lightning against Bayern Munich and I'd watch it.

CAMP FARTING ROCKS
Jan 14, 2005

Cubone posted:

no, I couldn't, because the athleticism of soccer is not real to me
I see people mostly standing in a massive field and pinging the ball to each other, until one team gets tired, usually scoring about once every 30 minutes, and then every once in a while one of them brushes shoulders with somebody from the other team and cannonballs their body 30 feet in the opposite direction and starts crying because pretending to get hurt is an important part of the strategy
it's an insanely boring awful piece of poo poo game

I could not, in unfathomable years of pondering, conjure the image of somebody displaying the speed, reflexes, and elegance that lebron displays on the court night after night, in the crud game, soccer

I mean, I'm no soccer man but this just sounds like a dumb opinion all over possibly crafted to be annoyingly dumb or sourced from somewhere else. I find it hard to believe that anyone could ignore the constant sprinting up and down the pitch and all of this sort of nonsense that goes on every match: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdn9r5X25XA

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Yeah OP, you want a couple guys like Cam and Lebron to play goalie and defense, but you want smaller guys that are really quick and fast, Kyler Murray would be a really good soccer player imho, source, watched upwards of 2 soccer games in my life.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
you know what would make soccer more exciting? if it was played on ice instead of grass, and everybody ran around on these sharp steel blades, and instead of kicking the ball you have big sticks you can hit it with and also hit the other players when the refs aren't watching, and you can punch them sometimes too and just get a few minutes penalty

oh wait

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Cubone posted:

no, I couldn't, because the athleticism of soccer is not real to me
I see people mostly standing in a massive field and pinging the ball to each other, until one team gets tired, usually scoring about once every 30 minutes, and then every once in a while one of them brushes shoulders with somebody from the other team and cannonballs their body 30 feet in the opposite direction and starts crying because pretending to get hurt is an important part of the strategy
it's an insanely boring awful piece of poo poo game

I could not, in unfathomable years of pondering, conjure the image of somebody displaying the speed, reflexes, and elegance that lebron displays on the court night after night, in the crud game, soccer

If there isn't someone who is morbidly obese and who's only job is sprinting a tiny distance quickly well it's just not really athletic

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

*bursts into thread, falls down and rolls on the ground howling in pain for 15 minutes*

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

Yeah OP, you want a couple guys like Cam and Lebron to play goalie and defense, but you want smaller guys that are really quick and fast, Kyler Murray would be a really good soccer player imho, source, watched upwards of 2 soccer games in my life.

Lol do you not think lebron is fast?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Fat Jesus posted:

eurokickyball is for children too soft for real football

Thats why rugby was invented.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Torquemada posted:

Considering the bedrock of football is outspending the other team I’m frankly amazed it’s not the national sport of the US. Get those salaries into the hundreds of millions, pump up the numbers! Who can have the first trillion dollar wage bill for a bunch of dudes rolling around on the floor?

The barrier to entry is too low. All you need to play soccer is a ball and a relatively flat surface. You can put down two water bottles as the goal.

Americans prefer a real high barrier so the poors can't join. They barely tolerate basketball

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Lol do you not think lebron is fast?

Soccer is a sport about distance running much more so than sprinting. If you want to play at the top level as an outfield player, you pretty much need to run 5-7 miles every game. Basketball players run about half that.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Up until a few years ago I couldn't wrap my mind around why the US is so poo poo at soccer, until someone finally explained their league system and how players are scouted.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Up until a few years ago I couldn't wrap my mind around why the US is so poo poo at soccer, until someone finally explained their league system and how players are scouted.

Yeah its pretty fuckin wild lol

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i wish america would just fuckin end already

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Yeah, but they play Real Sports instead.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

americans hearts would explode if we tried to play a sport where they didn't stop play every 3 minutes for a commercial break.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
play lacrosse, the truest american sport

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
The United States womens team does pretty well. :shrug: idk

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mu Zeta posted:

NFL players are getting fatter and fatter these days. They couldn't handle running ~9 miles per game.

Dude I dont think theyd be using NFL players in this hypothetical US dominated soccer leauge

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Soccer isn’t even a real sport like college football

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Americans will always dominate in sports we care about, unless you think european women don't care about poo poo like soccer or tennis

We're a rich country with a shitload of inequality, and sports are like the best way to lift yourself out of poverty if you 100% devote your life to them at which point you are uplifted from your misery and given the full might of our nation's money and technology in order to succeed

It's a pretty brilliant system, and it's working as intended

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Moon Atari posted:

Yeah I remember him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T9NMOjZDMk

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
We care so little that actresses can use soccer team athletic recuitment positions to funnel bribes to get their kids into top schools and nobody notices that they can barely play...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
America needs another sport for middle sized white guys to play. Hockey can only absorb so many 5'7" white dudes.