Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
D'ann is basically a Nexus modder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

PureRok posted:

D'ann is basically a Nexus modder.
Oh god we're going to get to see a Dann holo program aren't we :ohdear:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Phenotype posted:

See, I didn't think that was out of character at all, I put that down to being ridiculously insecure and shallow. He wanted to be the kind of loose, easygoing person that he's seen on TV, and he knows that he's supposed to say "Go ahead, I can take it, I need honest feedback." But the slightest bit of criticism really did send him into a shame spiral and doubt everything he's ever done. I didn't get the sense he thought he was perfect or that he really wanted her to keep lying, just that he's so insecure that he just couldn't handle hearing her real opinion.

I was thinking it was more insecurity as well. Years back when I used to be involved with fanfic, I'd often make myself available as a beta reader/editor and when it came down to giving honest constructive criticism even to those who swore up and down that that's exactly what they wanted, would carry on like I've mutilated all their pets before their eyes and then had a blood orgy in the remains. And the criticism I gave was for things like "I think you should use something other than grape jelly for lube in the anal sex part" or "A normal man can't carry a pregnancy to full term in the gallbladder."

So I'm not seeing Dann as controlling or toxic, it's just when it comes to writing, he's the equivalent of an overemotional fanfic writer.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Doing a rewatch. I don't know if I slept through it during the first binge or what, but I'm at episode 7 with the social credit thing and I don't remember ever seeing it at all.

This is basically the TV equivalent of bag fries or a 20 in the couch, new Orville :v:

Two other things I'm catching on rewatch:

The sheer amount of humor in Krill is pretty jarring considering the peril. They're getting the mix just right in season 2.

Grayson seems to be a lot more heavily made up in Season 1. I guess in universe this can be because it's a new job and by season 2 she doesn't give nearly as much of a gently caress and is more comfortable.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm catching up on the thread, just thought I'd chime in on this:

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Go deeper. For millennials and the next gen he's tied to a time when they were immature themselves! The rejection of Family Guy and Seth is a rejection of their own sophmoric behavior as they grow older.

Taear posted:

I'm down with being immature and farting.
I'm not down with a load of Rabbis outside a bank wolf whistling at bags of money.

I looked it up and that episode (Season 10 ep 1 "Lottery Fever") wasn't written by Seth, it was written by Andrew Goldberg. A whole bunch of the writers on the show are Jewish and it looks like they write most of the Jewish jokes. (The "When You Wish Upon A Weinstein" episode with the "I need a Jew" song was written by Jewish guy Ricky Blitt. Recurring Jewish character Mort Goldman is named after show writer Neil Goldman, etc etc..)

Also MacFarlane hasn't written for the show for nearly a decade. The short version of events is that during the 2007-2008 Writers Guild strike Fox continued producing the show without getting his final approval on episodes so he refused to work on the show but Fox enforced his contract and made him continue voicing the characters.

Re: J. Lee

Donovan Trip posted:

Tis true. Seth discovered him and helped launch his career, getting him bit parts as a voice actor on family guy and a full role on the Cleveland show. The Orville is the most he's ever physically acted.

He actually is a very smart guy (I forget what his degree is in but he's a classically trained pianist), yet he was working as a receptionist at the family guy offices. His character and real life aren't far removed.
Apparently he started learning classical piano when he was 3 and he performed at Carnegie Hall when he was 12.

Also his best buddy and scifi acting coach is apparently Ahmed Best (aka Jar Jar Binks): https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-a-family-guy-receptionist-rocketed-his-way-aboard-orville-1041241

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So... Can classical piano be phased into his character? Because that would be loving sick.

Make him go blind ala LaForge, but then become a piano prodigy ala Wonder/Charles/Tatum/Shearing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's kind of already Isaac and Ty's thing

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ty already has the monopoly on "badass at piano"

e: drat YOU AL BORLAND

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like how there are at least two accomplished musicians on the cast

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I like how there are at least two accomplished musicians on the cast

Three, we've seen Talla play a mean holophonor

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

also re: J Lee, whomst amongst us hasn't had the dead-end-job dream where the ceo recognizes how much better you are than everyone else and promotes you into the sky?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Fine, how about Lamar busts it as a DJ right from the engineering control boards.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Whalley posted:

Oh god we're going to get to see a Dann holo program aren't we :ohdear:

That's who Gordon falls in love with

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's kind of already Isaac and Ty's thing

Ty could teach him Piano next season and then he surpasses Ty and Ty picks up some other instrument and is actually even better at that. Then they can jam out together. Isaac can do vocals

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Orville Family Band travels space, playing their heady mix of jazz and Xelayan bluegrass.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Still on J. Lee:

Donovan Trip posted:

Tis true. Seth discovered him and helped launch his career, getting him bit parts as a voice actor on family guy and a full role on the Cleveland show. The Orville is the most he's ever physically acted.

It turns out he's been paying that forwards. Remember Locar, the hetero Moclan who was interested in women? That's J. Lee's buddy Kevin Daniels, he's had a few roles over the years but he starred in J. Lee's short film Career Suicide and when J showed it to Seth MacFarlane his response was "He's be great as a Moclan."
https://www.instagram.com/jleefilm/p/Bt9ts3qAjNQ/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Still on J. Lee:

It turns out he's been paying that forwards. Remember Locar, the hetero Moclan who was interested in women? That's J. Lee's buddy Kevin Daniels, he's had a few roles over the years but he starred in J. Lee's short film Career Suicide and when J showed it to Seth MacFarlane his response was "He's be great as a Moclan."
https://www.instagram.com/jleefilm/p/Bt9ts3qAjNQ/

Jesus Christ, that man is handsome.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
I am sure this has been answered, but... is Dann a Lieutenant?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tarlibone posted:

I am sure this has been answered, but... is Dann a Lieutenant?

His shoulder bars say yes

lol

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He should have lost his legs in the kaylon episode

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It's Dann's loving nostrils that really get me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

He should have lost his legs in the kaylon episode

He should lose them in every episode. His legs should be like Kenny on South Park. Every episode, they get amputated somehow. Not always an accident, either--maybe a medical issue. They grow back by the next episode. In fact, a "Lower Decks" episode could have him in it, enjoying the company of his fellow junior officers as his legs regrow.

Turns out, his species has notoriously weak and illness-prone legs due to the effects of being bred by evil overlords who wanted his species to look a certain way. It's a big sore point for his species, who eventually overthrew their overlords.

And everybody's been told not to tell Dan about Earth dogs.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Bloop posted:

His shoulder bars say yes

lol

What's his opinion on icecream, or shrimp?

(Are we counting Krill as shrimp?)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

evilmiera posted:

What's his opinion on icecream, or shrimp?

(Are we counting Krill as shrimp?)

Fokken Prawns

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pik_d posted:

Fokken Prawns

No spacism itt please

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Orville hoodies.
https://www.gammybest.com/collections/st/products/star-trek-the-orville-zip-up-hoodies

Bad news though.

quote:

NOTE: OUR LARGEST SIZE FITS PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT OVER THAN 120 KGS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aleph Null posted:

Bad news though.

Dishonor on your entire WoW clan!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I don't want a hoodie, I want that leather zipper jacket.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

uXs posted:

I don't want a hoodie, I want that leather zipper jacket.

:emptyquote:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

120kg is like 267 pounds, even Donald Trump could wear one

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hey Orville fans, the forums need you.

Lowtax (our benevolent overlord) is in serious money trouble due to the hosed-up US healthcare system, serious enough trouble that the existence of the SA forums may be at risk. (He's also got health trouble and sadbrains trouble, but those are harder for us to help out with directly.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184&userid=27691#post493257410

We're kind of trying to do an It's A Wonderful Life and crowdfund him out of this hole, which will hopefully rescue the forums too. If you're in a position where you can contribute a few bucks, please do.

One-time donation direct to the forums (which gives you one of those cool beige oval titles): https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php
Lowtax's patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Needs more zippers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Powered Descent posted:

Hey Orville fans, the forums need you.

Lowtax (our benevolent overlord) is in serious money trouble due to the hosed-up US healthcare system, serious enough trouble that the existence of the SA forums may be at risk. (He's also got health trouble and sadbrains trouble, but those are harder for us to help out with directly.)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884184&userid=27691#post493257410

We're kind of trying to do an It's A Wonderful Life and crowdfund him out of this hole, which will hopefully rescue the forums too. If you're in a position where you can contribute a few bucks, please do.

One-time donation direct to the forums (which gives you one of those cool beige oval titles): https://secure.somethingawful.com/products/donate.php
Lowtax's patreon: https://www.patreon.com/GamingGarbage

$13 salute. I'd really like a separate patreon because I want it to be clear that I want to support the forums only.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
How can a hospital just refuse your insurance? Like, what the hell, how is that legal?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

uXs posted:

How can a hospital just refuse your insurance? Like, what the hell, how is that legal?

America.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

uXs posted:

So in America the hospital says they want to charge 100,000 for something the insurance company says we pay for 25,000 of these a year we only want to pay 50,000 and they pay that instead. If they cant come to terms the insurance company refuses to work with the hospital.

So it's more your insurance doesn't accept the hospital

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

uXs posted:

drat it, I was gonna go for the one-word "America" answer, but it appeared when I hit Reply. Slightly longer answer: That's capitalism + doctors for you. Insurance companies will have set rates for specific procedures and things, and if the doctor wants to accept your insurance, it means he has to accept their pricing. So it's a trade-off between losing customers from that insurance and being able to bill higher rates for your work (and also sweet sweet bonus when someone's in the ER and can't shop around and they get sent to you anyway and get stuck with the giant bill for your services.)

e: ok gently caress you too pixaal

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Alright, I’m in for $25 and thank God I’m Canadian.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
yeah, this is probably the end of the forums tbh but we can hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

uXs posted:

It's not so much refusing to accept the insurance as it is they are not contracted with the insurance company. It all depends on if Lowtax has out of network coverage, but it doesn't look like it. A lot of hospitals will offer self-pay discounts.