Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Not sure exactly how long it's been up but I discovered that Stuart Gordon's Dolls is on Prime. The first movie Gordon made after doing Re-Animator and From Beyond back-to-back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm inclined to agree, the remake is exactly a masterpiece but I didn't really care for the original when I last saw it. That was pretty long ago though and my tastes have definitely evolved since then so I should probably give it a rewatch.

That take is ice cold p much everyone knows the remake is way better lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Basebf555 posted:

Not sure exactly how long it's been up but I discovered that Stuart Gordon's Dolls is on Prime. The first movie Gordon made after doing Re-Animator and From Beyond back-to-back.

also the origin of what would eventually become Full Moon, king of the 90s

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

That take is ice cold p much everyone knows the remake is way better lol

ice cold takes are my speciality

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

ice cold takes are my speciality

i go wherever the beer is warm, the women are cold, and the takes are frosty

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
underrated line from underrated Verhoeven film "Hollow Man"

I like my women like I like my coffee... cold and bitter

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

also the origin of what would eventually become Full Moon, king of the 90s

Yea I noticed that it was produced by Band(and Yuzna).

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's amazing how impoverished my childhood would have been if Band hadn't constantly been churning poo poo out. Dude is the 80's-90's Roger Corman.

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Watched Vampires Kiss last night for the first time.Good movie, but Nicholas Cage's crazy eyes makes this movie.

Anyone else think Peter Loew looks like Jacob Wohl?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

It's amazing how impoverished my childhood would have been if Band hadn't constantly been churning poo poo out. Dude is the 80's-90's Roger Corman.

I rewatched a bunch of old Puppet Masters and came to a few conclusions

1. Puppet Master is my favorite horror franchise
2. Goddamn these movies are charming
3. Stop Motion can be great sometimes
4. That new one with Thomas Lennon is loving awful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

oh also it has the best theme song of any franchise besides Halloween

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Littlest Reich is on Shudder now. Honestly though, nazi poo poo aside, I really don't have much of a desire to watch it because it doesn't feel like it's at all in the spirit of the original series.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Littlest Reich is on Shudder now. Honestly though, nazi poo poo aside, I really don't have much of a desire to watch it because it doesn't feel like it's at all in the spirit of the original series.

It really really isn't. It also falls into the trap of thinking satire is to do really offensive poo poo for the sake of pointing out how offensive it is.

Like, there is a scene where a puppet designed to look like a jewish caricature from nazi propaganda climbs into the vagina of a sleeping pregnant black woman and the erupts out of her stomach holding the dismembered fetus

and like, there is no point to it other than to be like "how outrageously racist this is, good things it all in good fun and not really racist and uncomfortable". Like the whole movie is based around the premise of "zany hate crimes" which seems tone deaf on a profound level.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's hilarious that Uwe Boll is a much better satirist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am trying to figure out why Thomas Lennon was in it because it certainly wasn't the money

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Basebf555 posted:

It’s an embarrassingly bad movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am trying to figure out why Thomas Lennon was in it because it certainly wasn't the money

Tom Lennon will literally be in anything as long as you're paying him.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

ReapersTouch posted:

Watched Vampires Kiss last night for the first time.Good movie, but Nicholas Cage's crazy eyes makes this movie.

I saw this first for the first time recently too and liked it a lot. He's so ridiculously over the top throughout the whole thing. I liked the scene where he goes to buy fancy fake vampire teeth but only has enough cash for the cheap plastic ones.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's hilarious that Uwe Boll is a much better satirist.

Lowtax should get that guy to donate a couple :10bux: for the cause.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Uwe seems like a decent guy, I'm sure he would.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Dolls rules, everyone should watch it. It's definitely no Re-Animator or From Beyond but it's really solid and fun.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Every character in Dolls is a super-weirdo, and that's how you can instantly tell it's a Stuart Gordon movie.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Every character in Dolls is a super-weirdo, and that's how you can instantly tell it's a Stuart Gordon movie.

Much like you can tell its a David DeCoteau film if you see a dude's bulge center-frame

ruddiger posted:

Lowtax should get that guy to donate a couple :10bux: for the cause.

What always struck me as funny was that Boll challenged Lowtax despite never saying anything bad about his movies, but trained Kickboxer and MMA enthusiast Seanbaby was constantly insulting Boll to get a fight and Boll never did it

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ReapersTouch posted:

I think Vampire's Kiss is almost just a better version of American Psycho. I saw "almost" because they're going for different things -- American Psycho is a little more focused on the sick culture that lets someone as psychotic as Bateman pass as normal, while Vampire's Kiss is strictly about a pathetic, abusive man descending into total lunacy. But I think the commitment to making Loew incredibly lame is the better approach to this kind of character portrait, while American Psycho inhabits Bateman's own POV a little too much.

(And don't get me wrong, they're both excellent movies.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uwe seems like a decent guy, I'm sure he would.

He didn't, but he did promote Lowtax's Gofundme on his official Twitter account.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I rewatched a bunch of old Puppet Masters and came to a few conclusions

1. Puppet Master is my favorite horror franchise
2. Goddamn these movies are charming
3. Stop Motion can be great sometimes
4. That new one with Thomas Lennon is loving awful

Mel, when we talk about love of franchises, we arbitrarily rank them in an order that fluctuates every time we write it.

What I find endlessly amusing about the Puppet Master series is how the original has scarred so many millennials*. It's regularly cited as the movie that scared kids the most (along with Curry's Pennywise) because they saw parts of it on TV. Most of them probably haven't seen the movie, but they'll remember vaguely that it terrifies them.

The other odd caveat is that usually the same people have never seen a Chucky movie, and do not have the same nostalgic fear for him as they do the Puppets.

Give it a try. Ask a millennial.

*I say this as a millennial, not as an ageist neg.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think Vampire's Kiss is almost just a better version of American Psycho. I saw "almost" because they're going for different things -- American Psycho is a little more focused on the sick culture that lets someone as psychotic as Bateman pass as normal, while Vampire's Kiss is strictly about a pathetic, abusive man descending into total lunacy. But I think the commitment to making Loew incredibly lame is the better approach to this kind of character portrait, while American Psycho inhabits Bateman's own POV a little too much.

(And don't get me wrong, they're both excellent movies.)

I’m almost positive Christian Bale has said that Cage in Vampire’s Kiss was a major influence on his Patrick Bateman performance

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As for theme songs, The Puppet Master theme song is great, and so is the Halloween theme, but I've been singing the TerrorVision theme song for days now.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Oh, we talking dope horror movie themes?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k_53LEwnGXU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh I totes agree about Puppet Master being a millennial kid horror classic. I remember when I was like 8 or 9 the puppet master movies were like this weird dark intro into horror even though they are hilariously tame in hindsight

As for ranking

1. Pm2
2. Pm3
3. Pm1
4. Pm5
5. Pm4
6. Curse

I consider the retro and axis ones their own franchise

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

puppet master sucks and this is from a guy whose fav movie franchise is evil bong

edit: they were boring as hell before they were racist, then they were simultaneously racist and boring

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh I totes agree about Puppet Master being a millennial kid horror classic. I remember when I was like 8 or 9 the puppet master movies were like this weird dark intro into horror even though they are hilariously tame in hindsight

As for ranking

1. Pm2
2. Pm3
3. Pm1
4. Pm5
5. Pm4
6. Curse

I consider the retro and axis ones their own franchise

That's my exact ranking. :aaa:

I still think the leech woman scene in Puppet Master 1 is effectively gross and cringey. Leeches on dicks are always rough (here's to you, Stand By Me!), but it's leech woman's weird gasps that really make it bizarre.

edit: Actually, I lied. Curse is higher than 5 or 4 because it's so drat bizarre and off-putting.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

puppet master sucks and this is from a guy whose fav movie franchise is evil bong

edit: they were boring as hell before they were racist, then they were simultaneously racist and boring

Puppet Master owns and I would argue they are the most charming horror films.

The personality given to the puppets and the shoestring budget workarounds were just wonderful

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

That's my exact ranking. :aaa:

I still think the leech woman scene in Puppet Master 1 is effectively gross and cringey. Leeches on dicks are always rough (here's to you, Stand By Me!), but it's leech woman's weird gasps that really make it bizarre.

edit: Actually, I lied. Curse is higher than 5 or 4 because it's so drat bizarre and off-putting.

I need to rewatch Curse because the only time I saw it was when I was like 13 at a sleepover and we all though it sucked.

But given my adult love of David DeCouteau, I feel like I owe it to go back and check it out

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The makeup on the doll people at the end of Pupper Master 2 is legit unsettling.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I need to rewatch Curse because the only time I saw it was when I was like 13 at a sleepover and we all though it sucked.

But given my adult love of David DeCouteau, I feel like I owe it to go back and check it out

Oh it objectively sucks, but it's so drat weird. The main character has an unmentioned mental disability, everyone is actively unpleasant, the conflict and revolution makes zero sense, and that's just the start of the list.

It's fascinating to watch. I actively enjoy it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pinhead from Puppetmaster is the best Pinhead in horror, that's my hot take for the day.

"Pinhead is one of my favorite horror characters"

"Oh yea definitely, I love Hellraiser"

"Wrong Pinhead" :smuggo:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Oh it objectively sucks, but it's so drat weird. The main character has an unmentioned mental disability, everyone is actively unpleasant, the conflict and revolution makes zero sense, and that's just the start of the list.

It's fascinating to watch. I actively enjoy it.

Ever see SSSSSSSSS? Curse is an unofficial remake

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ever see SSSSSSSSS? Curse is an unofficial remake

Oh gently caress yeah i love that movie im surprised it doesnt come up more often

Eaten Alive is the best creature feature tho. Definition of the word "grimy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Puppetmaster begins and ends with the puppet designs and none of the movies I've seen really live up to the promise. It's always just a bunch of poo poo characters wandering around a building and dying in boring scenes for like 7 movies. Dolls is so much better than any of them.